Driveclub

Alien Breed 3: Descent – What You Need to Know

John Dennis's Avatar + Posted by John Dennis on Feb 18, 2011 // Head of Design, Team17 Software Ltd.

Hi everyone! With Alien Breed 3: Descent launching on the U.S. PlayStation Store on Tuesday, February 22nd, we’d like to introduce the game to you all with another handy list of things you may not know about the game:

1. Alien Breed 3: Descent is the stunning final chapter of the Alien Breed saga, a trilogy of downloadable PS3 titles that reinvent the Alien Breed series, which has roots dating back to 1991. The game is an action-packed top-down science fiction shooter where you must conserve ammo, scavenge for gear and upgrade your arsenal to survive against a vast alien threat.
  2. After its successful introduction in Alien Breed 2: Assault, the challenging Survivor mode returns with an alien-slaughtering vengeance! You must resist endless waves of intense alien attacks in specifically designed arena environments, and because it can be played in single-player or in two-player co-op (online or local), you can get competitive and compete with your friends on the Survivor mode leader boards!
  3. There are some exhilarating new action-packed third-person set pieces in the game which really get your pulse racing Battle through flooded levels, the all-new research labs, and take a spectacular space walk on the exterior of the ship as it plummets through the planet’s atmosphere. Come get some!
  4. The Breed are meaner in this episode too, with new enemies to conquer: amongst them the ‘‘Electro-shocker” alien and the mighty final boss — although, obviously, I can’t say too much about that. I don’t want to spoil the finale!
  5. Of course, with the odds and enemies stacked against you, you will need some more devastating firepower. Luckily you’ll be able to arm yourself with some awesome new weaponry: the “Project X” is a “BFG” that vaporizes everything it comes into contact with, while the awesome “Electro-Link” gun fires chain lightning to damage all nearby enemies. I have to say this weapon is my personal favourite, and incredibly satisfying to use.
  6. The single-player game sees the player take command of Chief Engineer Theodore Conrad once again, this time in his last stand against the savage alien horde. As the doomed Leopold and alien space craft plunge deeper into the planet’s atmosphere and with an icy ocean promising a watery grave, you have just hours to defy a grisly death and survive the alien onslaught for the final time. As you struggle deeper into the sinking alien ship, through the freezing waters flooding every corridor, the horrifying truth surrounding the existence of the Breed is finally uncovered…
  7. As well as the two-player Survivor mode, there is also a two-player Assault mode: a co-operative play mode (again online or local) in which players must work together to defeat the alien horde across specially designed maps for two players. This mode also concludes the thrilling separate narrative that crosses over with the single-player experience, and because both modes support voice-chat, for those playing online, it means you can work out your game plan and adapt your strategy as you go… something you’re going to need to do if you both want to survive!
  8. For those PSN Trophy hunters amongst you: there are 35 Trophies available within this game, including a Platinum!
  9. Alien Breed 3: Descent will be available at a great price of $9.99, which is an absolute steal in my opinion for the amount of adrenaline-fueled entertainment in the game.
  10. And don’t forget, if you survive the final descent and fancy a challenge of an altogether more cartoony kind, Team17 also develop the awesome Worms games (also available now on PlayStation Store) so why not check them out?

+ cuterena on February 18th, 2011 at 5:35 am said:

Yay! Finally, the last chapter to add to my collection, and my third Alien Breed platinum trophy.

Fantastic job Team 17, the games are amazing. We need more local co-op games for those who have a husband, or wife, or friend who would like to play with them.

I hope you guys have plenty more games up your sleeves for us down the road. Thanks for the great series.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:27 am said:

Really glad you liked them. For now Episode 3 marks the end of the new Alien Breed trilogy, but we have plenty of other games lined up for PSN.

+ XMbeaner on February 18th, 2011 at 5:40 am said:

OMG, I just got the first two on PSN sale and now the new one for $9.99. Aweeesooommmmee!

+ Joe-TFW on February 18th, 2011 at 5:45 am said:

Any chance for a combo pack containing all 3 games? I’ve heard some great things about the series and would love to get them all in one shot.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:27 am said:

I’m sure we will do a combo pack eventually.

+ timmy19888 on February 18th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

just got the first 2 on sale. exactly what XMbeaner said. i may have platinumed these already but i still play em cause of how fun they are.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:28 am said:

Nice to see people getting their moneys worth from the games. Survivor mode is great isn’t it?

+ KidCommando on February 18th, 2011 at 6:42 am said:

I am hopeful that at some point all three games will be offered in a combo deal.

I almost bought the first one with the sale, but I’m gonna hold off for the good things that come to those who wait.

+ GT-420 on February 18th, 2011 at 6:57 am said:

1 was eh. 2 was awesome. Looking forward to 3.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:29 am said:

I think you will find that the best was saved till last, Episode 3 has got some real Wow moments.

+ Sneeches on February 18th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

the first two were medicore at best, and because of that I wont be bothering with the third. Also I found the price too steep on these games for what little they offered.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:31 am said:

Shame really, we think they offer great value for money given the amount of play time you get from them and the re playability of the Survivor mode adds a lot.

+ polo155 on February 18th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

i like Alien Breed so i bought it and right afteer that like a week or two later part 2 came out i was like huh? And now part 3 is being announced lol.. too much for me right there. my back log is growning out of hand.. i shouldve did my homework better tho thats all.. this game is fun overall

+ GrayGhost45 on February 18th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

FINALLY!!! I have been wondering the vast internet for the past month looking for a sign of a release date for ALIEN BREED 3 on PSN. I’ve had $10 just sitting on PSN waiting for 3 weeks for this game.

The ALIEN BREEDs are wonderful games and honestly I love the way you guys package them; The way they use the same HUD fonts and logos yet each game has its own distict flavor and color to it (AB1 Blue, AB2 Green, AB3 Orange) is awesome, and very reminesant of my favorite film franchise from which these games ooze out the hints of inspiration from. Great job guys.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:32 am said:

Really pleased to see so many nice comments, I think we’ve found where all the Alien Breed fans have been hiding. :)

+ FJ1100_rider on February 18th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

I have been considering buying the first 2 , but have seen mixed reviews

maybe if there’s a bundle with all 3 for $19.99 I’ll buy them but the demo for number 1 wasn’t that impressive to me

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:32 am said:

To be honest, we’ve learned a lot since the demo for Episode 1. Try the demo for Episode 3 and hopefully you will see we’ve moved on and improved a lot.

+ Kirkpad on February 18th, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

Hmm, hearing @8’s praise means maybe I should buy these games while they’re still on sale.

+ BeerManMike on February 18th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

Combo pack for $14.99 and you got a sale, if not i’ll wait till then.

+ JakeRuiner on February 18th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

Yeah a bunble looks good right now. Maybe somewhere along the road of 2011 there’ll be one. I’ll be looking forward to it.

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:33 am said:

There will be a bundle eventually, no actual date set as yet.

+ Street_Killaz on February 18th, 2011 at 8:46 pm said:

the best game on PSN hands down…

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:33 am said:

Wow, praise indeed. Thank you.

+ JakeRuiner on February 19th, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

I just downloaded Alien Breed: Impact, and so far its fantastic! The lighting, enemies, random explosions that shake the camera, and sound effects are great. The game looks very good too, and is a blast to play through (Reminds me of Dead Space which is awesome). I still haven’t beaten it yet but it’s so good I had to buy the sequal “Assualt”. And it’s very easy on the wallet aswell. Both for 13.98$ is a steal any day! The addition of a platinum trophy makes both games even more appetizing. I’ll have my eyes peeled for the final game. YOu guys ROCK!!!

John Dennis's Avatar

+ Mark Baldwin on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:34 am said:

Thanks again for the great comments. I think you will be really pleased with what we have done in Episodes 2 and 3. If you liked Episode 1 we think you will love the rest.

+ Curtisio on February 22nd, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

I know someone that loves these games. I’m thinking about it if only for the co-op mode.

I’m like a lot of people when it comes to waiting for price drops and I almost bought number 1 and 2. I’d love a bundle price, too. I wish I wasn’t so cheap, but money keeps the lights (and PS3) on and food on the table.

Now that there’s a third, I wonder what are the chances these will go on a discounted Blu-Ray?

+ ioanina on March 17th, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

Well, the third episode to Alien Breed will be a most enjoyable and memorable conclusion to the Alien Breed episodic game! If this finale goes very well, maybe a new episodic sequel?