PS4 - Transistor

The Drop: Week of Feb 21st 2011 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Feb 20, 2011 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Forged in Helghan steel! The Drop this week delivers one the most anticipated PS3 titles of the year with Killzone 3. Take on the ruthless Helghast army, armed with your PlayStation Move and 3D glasses and make your way off of the Helghan planet. Make sure to get your last minute reserves in for the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition.

The-Drop-Main-Header

Take on the role of space pirate Grayson Hunt along-side your cyborg partner Ishi Sato in Bulletstorm, as you kill with skill and wreck havoc among meat-eating plants, criminals and feral mutant tribes among the ruins of planet Stygia.

You’ve asked for it loud and clear in the comments every week (deep breath in), I’m eager to announce that Xenogears finally arrives on PSN for PSone this Tuesday. Also, Alien Breed 3 and a quadruple collection of PS minis make their PlayStation debut. Not as handsome as a Helghast Sniper named Vladimir, check out this week’s The Drop.

PS3: Killzone 3

PlayStation 3

Killzone 3 (PlayStation Move & 3D Enabled) – Continuing from Killzone 2, players find Emperor Visari, the vicious dictator of the Helghast, dead at the feet of Sev and Rico. However this war is far from won. In the wake of Visari’s death, Helghan has devolved into a world of political scheming, ruthless infighting, and murder.

Now, the two most powerful men on Helghan are fighting for complete and utter dominance while Visari’s vision of Helghan is in jeopardy. With limited supplies and no re-enforcements, the ISA must now fight not to win a war, but to survive a lost one. (Read All Killzone 3 Coverage: Here)

Bulletstorm – Bulletstorm brings new furor to first-person shooter action thanks to its signature ‘kill with skill’ gameplay. The game tells the story of a futuristic confederation protected by an elite band of mercenaries: Dead Echo. When Dead Echo members Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato learn they’ve been working for the wrong side, they’re betrayed by their commander and exiled to the far reaches of the galaxy.

In Bulletstorm, Grayson and Ishi find themselves surrounded by hordes of mutants and flesh eating gangs in an abandoned paradise. They have two objectives: get off the planet alive, and exact revenge on the man who sent them there. (Read All Bulletstorm Coverage: Here)

de Blob 2 (PlayStation Move & 3D Enabled) — In de Blob 2, Comrade Black is back and so is his war on color. Disguised as Papa Blanc, Comrade Black rigs the city’s election in order to win and take control of Prisma City with his brainwashing new cult. That is, until de Blob bounces back in full color-spreading force with his revolution to restore color and life back to the city and its residents.

Knights Contract – In a time of swordsmen and magic, Knights Contract follows the twisted tale of Heinrich, an immortal executioner, and Gretchen, a resurrected witch. Once the victim of Heinrich’s blade by the order of the game’s antagonist, Dr. Faust, Gretchen now has him under her control as the two must work together to rid the land of the supernatural foes who are cursing its people with the black spell of death.

PSN: Alien Breed 3

PlayStation Network

Alien Breed 3: Descent — Alien Breed 3: Descent is a 3rd person shooter in which players assume the role of a soldier battling aliens aboard a stranded space station.

Players collect weapons as they navigate dark halls in an effort to regain control of the space station. (Read More: Alien Breed 3: Descent – What You Need to Know)

Space Ace – In Space Ace you play the heroic Ace who must stop the evil Commander Borf from taking over the Earth! Borf plans to reduce all of humankind to infants and take over the planet. Only two people have the courage and strength to stop Borf and save Earth: the beautiful Kimberly and the heroic Ace. But as they approach Borf’s stronghold, Ace is hit by the Infanto Ray, changing him into a child, and Kimberly is kidnapped by the evil madman! Armed with only a laser gun, Ace must find and destroy the Infanto Ray, rescue Kimberly and save the Earth!

Ys: I & II Chronicles (PSP) – Ys I & II Chronicles is a remake of the classic first two games in the Ys franchise. This PSP version is based off a 2001 PC remake of the games, but promises new sound and graphics.

PSN Demos

• MLB 11 The Show
  • Dragon Age 2
  • Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • Yakuza 4

PSone: Xenogears

PSone Classics

Xenogears – Xenogears is a turn-based RPG with a combat system that unifies the Square’s Active Time Gauge feature as well as a newly created combo system. The game chronicles the adventures of a young reluctant warrior named Fei, who, after three years of residing in a small, remote farming village begins a long, tortuous quest to uncover his mysterious past. With no memory of his life before being placed in the village leader’s care three years earlier, Fei makes a violent and tragic break with his peaceful life and sets out upon a journey. Along the way, not only will his own past be discovered, but he’ll also unravel the mystery of the planet’s past and humanity’s role in relation to it.

minis: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder

minis

Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder — Fend off the different types of soldiers with your cannon in this doodle tower defense game. There are 36 mission objects to accomplish on 3 levels of difficulty. Can you earn the 3 medals from each mission?

Bloons Tower Defense — Bloons TD offers a traditional tower defense challenge. With a multitude of towers and weaponry at your disposal, the aim is to pop all of the bloons before they escape. Battle your way through 50 challenging levels on each of the 15 exciting tracks as your army of monkeys defend the never ending wave of bloons. Upgrade towers and traps to defeat the enemy and earn the gold medals to become the tower defense master!

Twin Blades – Twin Blades will be a frantic beat-them-all set in a medieval-fantasy zombie-filled universe. Player will have to constantly juggle between the slashing ability of his character and his ranged weapons while dodging enemy zombies, rendering a unique and palpitating gameplay.

Denki Blocks! – Denki Blocks! is a puzzle game like no other. Slide sticky blocks around a board and join the same colors together to solve puzzles.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

+ thejessmister on February 21st, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

Yay! Space Ace! I’ve always wanted to try it out. Dragon’s Lair was fun.

+ killerinthesand on February 21st, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

@ xxnike629xx I wouldn’t waste your time waiting for the psn version of Chrono Cross. Just buy the disc version; I found it new just a few days ago for $16.

+ Malvoz on February 21st, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

For all those who played Xenosaga, Xenogears is sooo much better. The combat system is actually interesting and the characters are much more real. Xenosaga was too much flash and no substance. Xenogears will blow your mind.

+ ninja24601 on February 21st, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

xenogears… thx

+ ROLLdatKATAMARI on February 21st, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

the helghan salesman is hilarious. is the helmet a real replica? can i wear it?

+ xanwhiteknight on February 21st, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

xenogears!!!!

Thanks Sony, you just made my day… scratch that: My Month!

+ dollssoulkirie on February 21st, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

@90 Actually, Xenosaga’s a prequel of sorts to Xenogears.. Xenogears is episode 5 of a series of 6. The Xenogears Perfect Works book details various events that happened from the discovery to the zohar to the beginning of Xenogears.

+ Sneeches on February 21st, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

looks like its just killzone this week for me… bulletstorm sucks balls compared so i hope it does absolutely horrible.

+ ManEAtiko on February 21st, 2011 at 1:28 pm said:

FINALLY!!!! THE XENOGEARS HAS COME BACK TO P S N. IF YOU SMELLLL LALALALALALA LAOOOO What the Network is cooking.

+ Superstone on February 21st, 2011 at 1:35 pm said:

What’s up with the Turbografx games?

+ Gamecamiller on February 21st, 2011 at 1:37 pm said:

XENOGEARS! I LOVE YOU SONY! LOVE YOU SQUARE ENIX!

Killzone and Xenogears = best week ever.

+ Fawles on February 21st, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

XENOGEARS.

That is all. I bought it on Amazon last week, and will now buy it on PSN this week.

+ ABNVOX on February 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

Any word on the killzone 3 collectors edition hardcover strategy guide?

+ gron15 on February 21st, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

XENOGEARS is playstation’s Star wars yes its that Good im having a geek out orgasm

+ gron15 on February 21st, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

and yes im buying both bullet storm and Kill zone both going to be great games

+ WhiteWidoW777 on February 21st, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

I was mad when I heard that they put Xenogears on Japans PSN and not America but I can finally stop [DELETED]! If anybody liked Xenosaga they will love Xenogears naturally since Xenosaga is the unofficial prequel to Xenogears!
And I also agree that they need to release PE: 1&2 on PSN finally what’s with the damn hold up?

+ ebbhead1991 on February 21st, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Hey, can anyone confirm that Xenogears will play on both the PS3 and the PSP? The recent release of Pocket Fighter turned out to be PS3 only, which is a shame.

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on February 21st, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

Thanks for Xenogears! I went out to buy a psn card just for it. Can’t wait!

+ mike_badley on February 21st, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder – they got me for great sense of humor :D
Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm – it’s about time!!!!

+ TerraAshura on February 21st, 2011 at 5:14 pm said:

Finally! I got 50 hours into Xenogears last month when the disc crapped out on me. Can’t wait to beat it now.

+ Lord_Ka1n on February 21st, 2011 at 5:59 pm said:

You guys really need to update the store on time tomorrow for Dead Money.

I’m serious, do it. We’ve waited long enough.

+ Tjoeb123 on February 21st, 2011 at 6:32 pm said:

@Boss_Tycoon_

As did I. I might spend the rest on the Scott Pilgrim DLC and/or whatever is on sale tomorrow. Was going to do it today but I figured I should hold off for a little while longer.

Also, Sony, please prep the servers for mass downloads of the game…

+ SavoyPrime on February 21st, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

I still have my PS1 copy. This is great news nonetheless!

+ Monetep on February 21st, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

No Knights Contract demo?

+ GeneQuagmire on February 21st, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

Er, where’s Dead Money?

+ Lord_Ka1n on February 21st, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

i dont think they ever post DLC on the drop.

+ DarkS2K on February 21st, 2011 at 7:53 pm said:

Xenogears and Killzone! YES!

+ AdesolaSlevin on February 21st, 2011 at 7:59 pm said:

any word if xenogears is gonna come out for europe wit the new update!!??

+ chaosfiredragoon on February 21st, 2011 at 8:13 pm said:

Thank you sony, thank you.

+ CWallace on February 21st, 2011 at 11:42 pm said:

FINALLY! Alien Breed Decent is here. I’ll work on it while my Killzone is in the mail. Seriously fun game. My brother and I played the demo for #1 in Co-op when he was home for Christmas. Sold us.

+ corydt1992 on February 21st, 2011 at 11:47 pm said:

Man, still no dissidia duodecim prologus? It came out the first of January in Japan, we should have had it weeks ago! Please relese it next week!

+ gron15 on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:13 am said:

i know i can play minis on my ps3 can i play psp downloads with out a psp?

+ EdSun2003 on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

xenogears is by far one of the greatest JRPG’s of all time IMO. I am really glad to see it being released again for everyone who hasn’t played it to experience it =)

now for a ps3 remake…=P

+ omega_alpha-619 on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

@gron15 No, games for psp are only playable on psp, not on ps3. You can play “most” mini’s and ps1 classics on both systems. But psp game downloads are “PSP only”.

+ candycabngfl on February 22nd, 2011 at 4:56 am said:

Looks like another week of crappy games imho

+ omega_alpha-619 on February 22nd, 2011 at 5:05 am said:

well at least you have your opinion to keep you company XD ^_^

+ ManEAtiko on February 22nd, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

At what time is this gonna be available????????

+ NICKLEBAG_187 on February 22nd, 2011 at 5:24 am said:

Bulletstorm is gonna be sick, Killzone is killzone always good, MLB in a matter of days and about a month away from NFS Shift 2! Good time to be a gamer. Did I mention that Dragon Age 2 is coming too, how many vacation days do I have this year? lol

+ TheFEAR23 on February 22nd, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

How much is Xenogears? Anyone know?!

+ ManEAtiko on February 22nd, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

Yo man At what time are you guys going to make Xenogears available been waiting all day already.

+ omega_alpha-619 on February 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

well… PS Store usually does not update till after 4pm pacific time, soooo… you got like 6 more hours AT LEAST dude. LOL ;)

+ ManEAtiko on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

Damn!!!! Are You Serious?!?!?!?!? Well Thanks Bro I appreciate the info.

+ Twomix on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

From what I heard they are coinciding the release of Parasite Eve 1 and 2 on the release of Parasite Eve 3: The 3rd Birthday on March 29, 2011.

+ omega_alpha-619 on February 22nd, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

@ Twomix Dude!! if that is indeed what they plan on doing then March 29th will be such an awesome day! love PE series! =)

+ omega_alpha-619 on February 22nd, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

Oh and for anybody who plays Mass Effect 2 and doesnt already know the latest patch is now downloadable in NA. People downloading it as I type this :) Finally.

+ TWIZTID-C44 on February 22nd, 2011 at 2:49 pm said:

What about thew DLC for fallout new vegas????

+ Jin_Kusanagi on February 22nd, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

XENOGEARS?! ZOMG =0 If this one works on PSP, I’m pretty sure it’ll be the best PSX release (hm…after FF7 of course…)! XD

Bulletstorm, I dun like shooter games, but I have to adimit this one is lot of fun =D

Man one release after Back to the future + MVC 3 + Neptunia…you come with Xenogears and Bulletstorm? Man, Sony is reaping my pocket =p

+ strivinglife on February 22nd, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

I’ve still got my used copy of Xenogears that I picked up back in 2005, but much like a couple other PSN purchases, I voted with my wallet, and purchased Xenogears this evening, and will look forward to enjoying it on my PSP.

Here’s hoping for many more great releases, both new, and from the archives.

+ Daniel_Gonzz on February 23rd, 2011 at 2:21 am said:

Awesome. Xenogears

+ bigberta01 on February 23rd, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

I almost cant believe that the guys of ifun4all made it and pull paper wars to another market place… killzone 3 and bulletstorm ? I can’t wait ;p