Uncharted 4

Declassified: SOCOM 4’s Online Co-Op

Chris Roper's Avatar + Posted by Chris Roper on Feb 24, 2011 // Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

As the April 19th release date for SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs quickly approaches we’re happy to go into detail about everything the game has to offer, which is quite a lot! In addition to its cinematic single-player campaign and highly addictive online competitive multiplayer,  SOCOM 4 also features a cooperative multiplayer mode where up to five people can play through a number of dynamic missions set up specifically for co-op play.

SOCOM 4’s cooperative mode features two main game types: “Takedown” and “Espionage.” Takedown charges your team with scouring an enemy-filled location in search of opposing VIPs that you must neutralize however you can. Espionage turns the focus to intelligence gathering, where you must use teamwork to track down enemy data and sabotage their local operations.

SOCOM 4: Co-opSOCOM 4: Co-op

Before each co-op mission begins, you’re able to adjust both the overall difficulty and the density of the enemy soldiers positioned on the map. But even at its easiest, SOCOM 4’s cooperative mode has been designed to be challenging – as you progress, you’ll need to use teamwork by calling out enemies and objectives to your squadmates.

SOCOM 4: Co-op

Today’s co-op unveil isn’t the last you’ll hear of SOCOM 4 this week. Tune in to GameTrailers TV tonight and learn how stealth plays a big part in the game’s campaign in addition to another special announcement fans won’t want to miss!

PAGE 1 2

+ AdNaN-07- on February 24th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

hhh ,hjgl tkhjg [h[nn lgknbm, mhj.g jh.jjd;bmd/,ljh ?

Chris Roper's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on February 24th, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

blrgeh larf?

+ LaFrancois on February 24th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

@XMbeaner you are part of the SOCOM community, I know this because no one in the community would be advertising it on a website.

+ WellRounded on February 24th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

Is the co-op OTS view only? I know in the classic Multi-player mode there is a way in game to bypass the Over the Shoulder cam. Is it possible in the Co-Op too?

+ Swiftmotionz on February 24th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

G double-0 D good. Can’t wait

+ Smooth423 on February 24th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Will Socom 4 have clans and clan ladders? Does the game also let you do classic cam and over the shoulder? I am not getting Killzone 3 and want to get into the Socom 4 Beta, so help a Socome’r out. Lastley cant wait for socom 4, and please crack down on the glitching.

+ CL_KANOS on February 24th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

So I love the Co op addition to the game but why is it that certain maps like the jungle one in the trailer looked exactly like the MAP from MAG?? MAG was by no means a finished product and I want SOCOM 4 to be like Combined Assault was. Zipper I hope you guys have been careful with this title since Confrontation destroyed the brand and part of the online play reputation Sony had with that as a premier title.

I have pre ordered my copy but I want to play the beta before I pay it off. I have faith that Socom will go back to its roots with some great additions to the new title. Retro maps need to be added to this game by the way

+ cybercam on February 24th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

AWESOME! I for one love this mode!

I’m not too keen on the multi-player mode with the corner camping style, where you can see around the corner without being seen. Confrontation was plagued by players using this tactic, it’s not much fun for the unsuspecting player that can’t see the individual using it!

This will be the only mode I play and it sounds like it will never get stale.

Please remember us co-op player when download content arrives!

+ Bootuh on February 24th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

Any plans on including some type of offline multiplayer bot match for scrubs who want to practice without affecting their stats?

+ oXBISHOPXo on February 24th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

Hey Actualy i got another question
When is this game hitting Europe?
All the stores say Date TBA

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 24th, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

Online co op only? Pass.
Killzone 3 does offline only, SOCOM 4 does online only, can someone from SCE realize that this is 2011 and both online and offline co op are needed? Maybe ND will realize that and get a sale from me at full price.

+ beatkilla1971 on February 24th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

i got the beta with killzone3, when will it open…..cant wait to try it with the sharpshooter

+ SilentSniper1717 on February 24th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

Does anyone know when the beta’s coming out? I got Killzone 3 so I can get the beta.

+ station3fever on February 24th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

I have played the psp versions which i have enjoyed but i have never played the ps3 versions. I think it’s time i move up to the ps3 version because this looks really sweet :)

+ fleinn on February 24th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

Hm. Looking good. Great animation, neat game-flow.

But I’ll have to see if the game and the teamplay aspect survives the beta, and the first couple of weeks of whining – before I consider purchasing it, sorry..

+ W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J on February 24th, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

No splitscreen = no buy. The fact that there are no servers already meant a no buy for me, but I would’ve at least still got it to play splitscreen, but once again another developer doesn’t care about its fan base and refuses to include splitscreen. A couple of games out there I would’ve tried if they would include it. I don’t want to play with people online that will just screw around and not play right, you spend too much time trying to find a good game when I have real friends that I could play with. As much as all you developers are trying to be call of duty, you would think you would at least add some of the components that made their last game the biggest selling game. At least epic cared about its fans and patched slitscreen campaign in later.
I though MAG was supposed to be your game for the general audience, and Socom for your hardcore.
Its sad when a company screws over the people who made it. Just like call of duty did to its PC users. I guarantee you make a significant less revenue then if you would’ve actually went to the socom webpage and made the game that fans had already completed your job wanted.

+ cobrafang on February 24th, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

I love MAG! Please Zipper you made MAG so original and a fun MP experience, make Socom the star it once was on the PS2 here on the PS3.

+ spideyal on February 24th, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

@ W-can’treadtherestofyourname

Socom never had Splitscreen play from what I remember. So how is this screwing over the people who made it what it is today? Personally, in a game that involves deep tactics like Socom, I’d never touch the Splitscreen mode.

It would be a nice option, so I’m not opposed to it, I’m just saying 90%+ of the people playing this game would never look at Splitscreen just like 95%+ of the people that play Killzone 3 will never look at Splitscreen.

Online Co-op or LAN Co-op are the new “Splitscreen” of this day and age. Tell your friends to buy PS3’s if they want to play with you. That’s what I do.

+ Edd on February 24th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

Is there splitscreen coop? Or just online?

+ SonsOfMonroe on February 24th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

Would Be Nice If I Could Play The Campaign With 4 Other People Instead Of The Computer. ZIPPER And Any Other Developer Please In The Future Make All Story Modes Co Op, I Hate These 6 Level Romps That’re Called Co Op These Days. Zipper Please Make Another Socom Soon For Us That Enjoyed The Earlier Games & Vehicles. Then Have The Simplified Socom Of Duty For The NOOBS.

+ SonsOfMonroe on February 24th, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

When I Heard Socom 4 Had 5 Player Co Op I Was Excited. Now That I Hear It’ll Be Missions Not The Story I’m Kinda Bummed About Missions. In The Future Zipper I’d Like FULL Story Campaign Co Op, From The Begining To The End Of The Game. Please Zipper Make The Vote System Different This Time. Make It So You Have To Go Back To Your Own Body To Cast A Vote On SomeOne. I Hate When A Guy Turns Around & Kills Me Because A Teammate Voted Him.

+ Ama_Daoes on February 24th, 2011 at 4:39 pm said:

This game looks great. Can’t wait to grab a beverage and play through the co-op with my buddies. Got my beta code from Killzone 3 which is amazing in all respects.

+ JL84wolf on February 24th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

Looks great and I can’ t wait to play this new socom this april 19 ;)

+ Mattsta001 on February 24th, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

Yeah, thought it might be this. You guys missed a trick to offer co-op campaign. A really wasted opportunity. This could have been the PS3s co-op experience equivalent to Gears, something the console is really lacking. Sorry, I’ll pass.

+ Tenente-II on February 24th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

I’d like just to know when the announcement of the Europe release date..

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on February 24th, 2011 at 7:05 pm said:

@74 what’s so great about gears? If you like the box exclusives then play them…it’s not meant to be like gears.

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on February 24th, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

sorry 74 its meant for 73

+ footballrule on February 24th, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

Can’t wait to this game!

+ xRedxViolence on February 24th, 2011 at 8:17 pm said:

man imagine if this game had Character Customization! graphics look sharp would of loved to have put my own spin on characters and camo.

+ xRedxViolence on February 24th, 2011 at 8:19 pm said:

Still…. if this co-op isn’t for campaign as well then you can chalk up another disappointmen.

For those who may not know SOCOM Combined Assault over on the Ps2 had 4/5 player co-op as well. with the option to play the single player campaign.

+ Sponge-worthy on February 24th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

Very excited for this.

Will there be any way to participate in a beta without having purchased KZ3? (just not really a Killzone fan here).

+ chicken636 on February 24th, 2011 at 8:56 pm said:

Will definitely get this, but will there be a Sony developer that will step up and offer an online-campaign co-op experience? The last game I played on the PS3 to offer this was R6:V, which was four years ago.

+ Lucky13X on February 24th, 2011 at 10:09 pm said:

Looks good. That sharpshooter peripheral is really beginning to grow on me.

+ T-Jani on February 25th, 2011 at 8:02 am said:

Can use guys please make sure this game has xmb status updates like LBP2 and COD blops.

+ C-DaBurna-B on February 25th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

its a cluster !!!! of casuals….zipper congrats you achieved your goal with this one…

+ kingmoses on March 14th, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

ive been a huge fan of socom since day 1. im really glad to hear there is going to be a single player campaign. is there co-op campaign ??

PAGE 1 2