PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

inFAMOUS 2: User-Created Missions Give Infinite Possibilities, Limited Beta in April

Chris Zimmerman's Avatar + Posted by Chris Zimmerman on Mar 01, 2011 // Development Director, Sucker Punch Productions

Here at Sucker Punch, we’ve spent the last couple of years hard at work on inFAMOUS 2. Over the last nine months or so, we’ve talked about a lot of things that make I2 awesome—things like crazy new powers for Cole, super-powered sidekicks, radically improved graphics and special effects, a cool new karma system with branching story lines and multiple endings—but we’ve managed to keep one major feature completely secret.

Until today.

Sandbox games like inFAMOUS 2 are a ton of fun. There’s a whole city to explore, and we provide lots of stuff to do in the city… but no matter how many missions and mini-missions and systemic opportunities and branching story lines we add to the game, eventually the story ends.

We thought inFAMOUS 2 would be better if it didn’t end—if you never ran out of missions and mini-missions to play and things to do. So… we spent the last two years adding a User-Generated Content feature to the game. With User-Generated Content, inFAMOUS 2 players can build new missions, then share them with the world. I think you’ll all quickly discover that while building missions is a lot of fun, seeing people play and enjoy those missions is even better!

There really aren’t a lot of limits to the sorts of missions you can build. Sure, you can build the sort of missions that will ship on the inFAMOUS 2 disk. Mission creators have access to the same set of characters, creatures and props—so if you want to set a pack of Hive Lords rumbling after Cole through the streets of New Marais, you can do it. If you want to have Cole and Zeke face off against Nix and Kuo, you can do it.

If you want to bend the rules of inFAMOUS 2 to create new kinds of missions, you can do that too. Wish I2 had pure stealth missions? No problem, you can create stealth missions. Looking for more of a challenge? Try taking away some of Cole’s powers—see how the player does facing a platoon of Militia wielding only his Amp. Or add an old-school platforming challenge, or a race, or… I could go on all day.

It’s pretty easy to do missions that are more like mini-games, too. Skeet shooting? No problem. Disc golf? Assuming you’re happy tossing around cars instead of Frisbees, sure. How about a mission where Zeke just tells you bad jokes until you shoot him? Um, yeah, you can do that, too.

Building missions is only half the story, of course—we make it super easy to upload your missions to the network, so other players can see your cool new missions.

User-generated missions show up in the world just like regular missions. When you walk up to them, you see the PSN tag of the mission creator, plus extra information like the mission’s current rating. And back at Sucker Punch headquarters, we’ll be watching—missions that get high scores will get promoted to the Sucker Punch Featured Missions list, and those missions will end up just about everyone’s copy of New Marais.

We think this is a neat opportunity for people to become famous for the missions they build. We know there are lots of creative people out there, people who love third-person action games like I2, and have great ideas about what they’d do with the game if they had the chance. Well, now we’re giving you that chance! Let’s see what you can do!

There will be a limited public beta of inFAMOUS 2 UGC starting in early April. We’ll be announcing how to sign up for the beta on March 14… watch infamousthegame.com for more details! And be sure to watch the video above to whet your appetite…

217 Comments

+ Egarth on March 1st, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

I sure hope that “limited public beta” is code for Playstation Plus members only!

+ dawoud90 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

Please answer SUCKERPUNCH:

Is this all the modes in infamous 2 or are there stuff still unannounced??

+ GLiTcH2 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

Hmm wow I wasn’t too sure about getting Infamous2 however after reading this and seeing the video I think I am sold on it now. This looks amazing!

+ Spacerac on March 1st, 2011 at 7:16 pm said:

I’m trying to be a cheapskate and rent the game and wait a year to buy the collector thing when it’s much cheaper. you people are making me feel like a jerk now.

+ ZFM12 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

Pure Epic!!

+ DrBingogh on March 1st, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

Looks like this one will never be traded. Heck I traded inFamous in months ago but just bought it again this weekend to freshen my memory up on the story.

This though is COMPLETELY unexpected! I love the create/share revolution that is going on now and hope to see it in even more games. I don’t create jack squat but I love the replay ability afforded to me by my peers. Way to go SONY!

+ Permafry_42 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

PLAY, CREATE, SHOCK! HELL YA! sony, PLEASE be smart and advertise infamous 2 as a part of the play create share brand…

+ Haskell420 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:24 pm said:

PROBLEM WITH WEB SITE FOR inFAMOUS 2, ERROR with REGISTRATION Keeps occuring.

Hey guys,
After I read the story, I clicked on the link to the web site, and upon entering my birthdate & entering my email address, after I clicked “Submit”, up came a message in RED lettering saying “Registration failed. Please try again.”

I’ve unsuccessfully tried to Register going through Internet Explorer and also on AOL5 times on each engine, and I just
cleared my cookies and cleared Temp files, but to no avail.

Please Advise,
Haskell420

+ letherclad on March 1st, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

wow, didn’t see this coming… this is pretty epic!

+ TotallyOriginal on March 1st, 2011 at 7:31 pm said:

I know what I’m doing

Cole is in the middle of a rotounda, The Militia is attacking him with an Allied D-Day type invasion force, with lots of standard weak guys, tons of buff guys, and tons and tons of trucks with machine guns, you must fight them off, for there is no escape.

It will be epic. or maybe a hole in every ps3

+ Permafry_42 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

i tried repeatedly to register on the infamous 2 website, but it wouldn’t let me register! is it cause i live in Canada or something?

+ BriarPatch512 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

This is a really neat idea! I can’t wait to try out these features! This is easily my most anticipated game of this already huge year.

+ TheYell on March 1st, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

Very cool that you guys implemented a mission creator into you sandbox game! Big compliment ;)

+ EL_MACHO_GUERO on March 1st, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

This is Truley AMAZING!!!!! I beleive this is why Naughty Dog was working together with Sucker Punch?

+ KILLZONE79 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:36 pm said:

fricking awesome sucker punch cant wait til i design my own missions :)

+ IAmToastMan on March 1st, 2011 at 7:36 pm said:

AMAZINGG!!!!!

+ privateguy123 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:36 pm said:

holy i thought there was going to be over 1000 story missions! but instead create your own!

+ KILLZONE79 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

Also this video will go on my youtube channel as a featured video after Black Ops DLC releases

+ jumpman_freak23 on March 1st, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

WOW!!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on this game. Also is the original Cole skin only going to be available in Europe?

+ stabbinsteve on March 1st, 2011 at 7:47 pm said:

only thing it needs now is same console multi player

+ Kirkpad on March 1st, 2011 at 7:47 pm said:

Man, I wasn’t that interested in inFAMOUS 2 until now. I bought inFAMOUS on the first day I could, and it was worth every penny. Smoothest animation in games!

+ PhadedWun on March 1st, 2011 at 7:56 pm said:

…User created missions?

Whaaaat.

+ altahi on March 1st, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

This is inFTW!

+ JALEN890 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:00 pm said:

Want game now!

+ hife on March 1st, 2011 at 8:01 pm said:

This is the most blown away I’ve been by a piece of video game news in a long time. If this is done right, and it looks like it will be, it is a huge deal.

+ JALEN890 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

So is this only for the beta or will this feature be in the real game too?

+ PhadedWun on March 1st, 2011 at 8:03 pm said:

Honestly, this game was a ‘most likely going to get’ game for me and just became an ‘absolutely must get’ game.

+ Jeigh on March 1st, 2011 at 8:05 pm said:

I don’t mean to downplay what SuckerPunch is doing here– this is definitely awesome– but, man, I can already see 1,001 “Fight the giant crowd” missions. Sort of like LBP’s ‘pile’ of “Instant Trophy” levels involving jumping on a button or walking into a box full of bubbles.

+ Astroranagun on March 1st, 2011 at 8:08 pm said:

the song just gives me a brain wave. if they going to make infamous 2 sequal. I hope they can do with cole with his “conduit friends” vs beast with his “conduit underlings” BAM!! there we go… we have sucker punch’s epic super heroes war battle ever!! :)

+ ihatereading369 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:09 pm said:

Sounds absolutely amazing. Let’s just hope its not too complicated and hard to use…

+ Nonstop_Madness on March 1st, 2011 at 8:11 pm said:

*throws laptop over shoulder and goes to pre-order Infamous 2* ……… gimme game NOW!!!

PS – Will Infamous 2 be at PAX East 2011?

+ BigBangBear on March 1st, 2011 at 8:12 pm said:

Wow, just wow! With all of the amazing games coming out this year this and Uncharted 3 have been on the top of my list. Thanks for making it look like you will somehow exceed those lofty expectations.

+ jrivera0108 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:15 pm said:

Holy Guacamole! There was a lot to do in the first inFamous! User created missions added on is pretty epic…

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:24 pm said:

OK one thing that needs to be implemented in this is MULTIPLAYER..i hope thats ANOTHER WELL KEPT UNEXPECTED FEATURE.Being able to play the created missions with friends our would the CHERRY on the top of this EPIC USER CREATION SUNDAY!..SERIOUSLY..ATLEAST TWO PLAYERS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PLAY TOGETHER..KOLE AND ZEKE..DOING MISSIONS TOGETHER..JUST THINK ABOUT IT! PLEASE! BUT YEAH GREAT WORK KEEP IT UP..PLAYSTATION4LIFE!

+ Link01 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

I love you guys for this, but I really hope you have a feature to turn it off too so the entire world isn’t just full of those green tags.

+ KidCommando on March 1st, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

What the

+ DZORMAGEN on March 1st, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

I am sorry if I sound like a broken record, but MIND = BLOWN!!

+ Souledge94 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:34 pm said:

This is cool and everything but please for the love of god no anoying trophies for this mode.

+ Y_5150 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

would this mode feature online coop?

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

Wow…sony’s really in a creative mood…
you got little big planet, this, modnation racers, etc…

+ explosive78 on March 1st, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

I was already gonna buy the game, you keep stuffing it with awesomeness. Reviewers should put this over 9.5 easily with the addition of so many innovations.

+ DaNTi3L on March 1st, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

BOOOM HOMERUN this is just too amazing …i will surely pre-order my hero edition early

+ PhantomOfPanton on March 1st, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

SuckerPunch, please answer!

Do you guys eat awesome-sauce for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Cus this is amazing!

+ W_T_Y_D on March 1st, 2011 at 9:01 pm said:

Sucker Punch has just well Sucker Pucnhed us all with this! lol :D Definitely gonna buy this game!!!

+ rusty01 on March 1st, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

[DELETED]! Yes, I never expected the “play, share, electro-shock” going down on Infamous2! Yes, this is a day 1, I loved the 1st one, but the user creativity will be awesome in this big ol’ sandbox of the N.O!

+ hitman753 on March 1st, 2011 at 9:10 pm said:

will the hero edition be available in CANADA ???

+ toology01 on March 1st, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

simply amazing guys. blew me away. great work! will annoy all my friends to death to buy this game!

+ spideyal on March 1st, 2011 at 9:54 pm said:

Yeah, this is pretty much a must buy. Like many people said already, this means we create our own “DLC” and makes the possibilities endless.

Naughty Dog may need to take notes with this one.

+ Schobeleth on March 1st, 2011 at 10:16 pm said:

Can’t wait!! I have my hero edition preordered :)) I proudly own the platinum trophy for inFAMOUS 1!

+ Royal_Assassin17 on March 1st, 2011 at 10:22 pm said:

every game should have some kind of user created missions / levels …