Paragon

Mar 02

Mar 02

Aspiring Developers Take Note: Move.Me Unveiled at GDC

John McCutchan's Avatar Posted by Senior Engineer, Developer Support

Move.Me Logo

Hi Gamers, John McCutchan, Senior Engineer with SCEA’s Developer Support team, here to tell you about an exciting initiative we’re unveiling for PlayStation Move during GDC this week. Later today, I’ll be giving a presentation on Move.Me, a new software application that provides academics and hobbyists access to PlayStation Move’s technology, enabling them to create entirely new applications using a PC, the Move motion controller, the PlayStation Eye, and the power of the PlayStation 3 system. We know many of you might not be able to make the trek to San Francisco for the show, so we wanted to give you a quick overview of Move.Me here.

When we launched PlayStation Move last September, we knew it would set a new benchmark for precision in motion controlled gaming. Even before PlayStation Move was publicly available to all of you, we were talking about the device’s potential implications for academics and researchers. While visiting conferences like Games for Health and SIGGRAPH last year, these same researchers and academics expressed strong interest in utilizing PlayStation Move’s cutting edge technology for their own purposes. Move.Me is the result of these conversations, and is an opportunity for PlayStation to inspire new, revolutionary applications in other fields beyond gaming.

Move.Me Screen_2.28.11

So, what exactly is Move.Me? In short, Move.Me is a server application that runs on the PS3 system. It allows anyone with a PS3 to experiment with motion controls and is officially sanctioned and supported by Sony Computer Entertainment. Move.Me sends the complete state of the PlayStation Move and navigation controllers to the PC, giving you the exact same data that licensed developers typically have access to.

Move.Me Diagram

What does this mean to you? We see Move.Me as an opportunity to satisfy the need for new, innovative interactive technology in fields like academia, healthcare, and more, as well as to support new developers and inspire applications that we could never have imagined. We hope it will be used to discover new ways of connecting individuals with information, and maybe even discovering a new healthcare application or two. We know that some of you out there are aspiring software developers yourselves and we’re eager to see what kinds of applications Move.Move inspires. Maybe an aspiring developer like you will create the next big thing with PlayStation Move!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

radiantshadow92 said:

March 2nd, 8:02 am

This should be good.

SuMizzle said:

March 2nd, 8:05 am

I like to tinker. Thanks!

XMbeaner said:

March 2nd, 8:06 am

My socks have officially been blown off.

Wrendog said:

March 2nd, 8:06 am

This sounds like an amazing way to branch out into real world scenarios.

perrandy said:

March 2nd, 8:08 am

yeah this gives a chance to ppl like the homebrewers to experiment with this stuff.

G-Force08 said:

March 2nd, 8:13 am

This is great! I’m hoping there will eventually also be a place, like an official hub – forum or site, that we can share our developments on, whatever they may be.

therealbertho said:

March 2nd, 8:13 am

Am I correct in assuming that since the software runs on the PS3, that the end user’s computer can be running any OS? If so, that’s incredibly awesome.

G__ROW said:

March 2nd, 8:15 am

Are there any plans to allow hobbyist game developers to develop and publish games for the PSN kinda like how XNA works for the xbox?

Marcopodomus said:

March 2nd, 8:15 am

So where do I go to download? I’m off work today…

Katoh21 said:

March 2nd, 8:16 am

Will I get sued for a million dollars for using this?

Vicholambert said:

March 2nd, 8:17 am

how i can have that please tell mee ?????

Subtenko said:

March 2nd, 8:19 am

Does this mean this will lead to a Sony/Playstation app store? It sure sounds like it. Can we get some kind of confirmation about this?

StoneyYoshi said:

March 2nd, 8:24 am

Will this work on my macbook pro? i am really hoping so. :) probably doesn’t though since media go still isn’t supported on mac. oh well thats what bootcamp on my macbook is for i guess.

Link01 said:

March 2nd, 8:31 am

does the program support Macs, I really don’t feel like running Boot Camp to play around with this :D

The_FPS said:

March 2nd, 8:31 am

but can I fold my own protiens with the move?

playaplus said:

March 2nd, 8:32 am

so help me understand…are y’all releasing the development tools?

Vicholambert said:

March 2nd, 8:35 am

when we can download by playstation store???

DarkRecoil said:

March 2nd, 8:43 am

Watch out for Pirate tramps sony. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try using this tech for hacking PS3.

SmooshyKing said:

March 2nd, 8:46 am

This is stunning news! Thrilled to hear that Sony is opening up this technology to the public. Private organizations would have to invest millions to develop their own motion-control system. This removes that barrier of entry.

Excited to see what comes of it.

pitythefool852 said:

March 2nd, 8:47 am

I am definitely getting this.

Where do I sign up?

Korbei83 said:

March 2nd, 8:47 am

I applaud this initiative.

rjejr said:

March 2nd, 8:47 am

“What does this mean to you?”

It means that your response to the MS announcement of a Kinect SDK for the PC is making us hook up our PC to our PS3 rather than having this Move.me server be downloadable directly to the PC for PC use or having to go the additional mile of hooking up our PC to our PS3?

What is the PC for if everything is on the PS3? I’m not a troll, just confused. Why not make the Move.me an app rather than a server so we can just mess around with it on the PS3?

Seems unnecessarily complicated, but nobody else said anything so I suppose it’s just me.

The_Leducs said:

March 2nd, 8:49 am

How do I aquire this?

RedDraXon said:

March 2nd, 8:49 am

I still dont know what it means -_-

Aleksey_US said:

March 2nd, 8:51 am

SONY is always late to the party :( why not release this in September 2010?

Tredogg14TK said:

March 2nd, 8:52 am

REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION.

THE PICTURE SAYS YOU NEED SEPERATE INPUTS FOR PS3 AND PC.
WELL MY LAPTOP RUNS THRU MY TV VIA VGA CABLES.

SO MY QUESTION DO YOU USE move.me WITH PS3 AND PC SCREENS SIMOTANEOUSLY OR CAN YOU JUST LOOK AT THE PC SCREEN WHILE YOU ARE USING THE MOVE?

IF NOT LOOKS LIKE IM GOING TO BUY A NICE SONY VAIO! :)

pitythefool852 said:

March 2nd, 8:53 am

I was a bit unhappy about having to power up the PS3 to do it, but then I realised:

1: I never could get the PS Eye to work on my PC, even with all the drivers
2: It’ll be a lot easier to run two or four Moves over the PS3’s bluetooth than on a PC

So, Sony, you’re forgiven. It would be nice if we get full PS3-free access some day, but this is still a great opportunity to tinker

remanutd5 said:

March 2nd, 8:58 am

excellent , any NGP news ?

Sephir007 said:

March 2nd, 9:01 am

It´s a Free Move development kit for aspiring developers, programmers etc..
what implications does this have for us the gamers?

A lot, think of new ways to use your move, new games, new apps for move etc..

Thank You!!

VinTheDean said:

March 2nd, 9:08 am

I need to see some real life application before I will use or attempt to use Move.me

Richlando said:

March 2nd, 9:13 am

Knew about this months ago and like I said then way to cheapen the Move..

JonAuc77 said:

March 2nd, 9:15 am

AWESOME! Sign me up! Now maybe I can use all the programming I learnt in college to REAL use!

jayyy91 said:

March 2nd, 9:23 am

When will this be available?

ATOMS11 said:

March 2nd, 9:25 am

Once again, Excellent work people! Cant wait to get my hands on this one!

Yojimbo-Ratchet said:

March 2nd, 9:26 am

excellent. i am looking forward to this. will this be available as a download from the playstation store ?

WoolySpud said:

March 2nd, 9:45 am

Cool story bro, But this news has failed to Move.Me…

See what i did there?

Philaroni said:

March 2nd, 9:57 am

When can we expect to get this and where?

Also what OSs will be supported.

And will there be any detailed documentation on how to use that data in lets say Visual Studio or anything like that?

Tyger0 said:

March 2nd, 10:02 am

Lets see what happens once its officially announced and demonstrated at GDC, then I’ll be excited. For now little thoughts of independent games on PSN float through my head. lol

Azerach said:

March 2nd, 10:06 am

Very excited for this. Hopefully it’s released soon =)

kennysmom13 said:

March 2nd, 10:49 am

Mac? lmao you KNOW what will support it first. Sony VAIO.

Midgetguy said:

March 2nd, 10:55 am

This sounds AWESOME!

I’m extremely excited to see what new applications are developed by literally anyone who can get their hands on this technology!

this is a HUGE step in the right direction as far as allowing open creative development from ANY GROUP!

I’m also excited to found out how I can use this! I’m no genious, but I’m sure with some tinkering and some knowledgable friends, we could make something spectacular!

Omen_20 said:

March 2nd, 10:58 am

YES! Even if I don’t get the internship for SCEA R&D, I’ll be working on the Move this summer.

Kirkpad said:

March 2nd, 11:13 am

*drool*

This is like Nintendo giving us full Wii Remote access instead of various hackers giving it to us and getting it publicized by Johnny Lee.

KazeEternal said:

March 2nd, 11:19 am

Now we just need linux back so we can play with the cell and we’ll be all set :-P

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

March 2nd, 11:43 am

Funny thing about this post is that I’ve been doing just that with my Move.s since I got them. I use the nav controler for my mouse on my pc, my cam now streams high def for when I use justin.tv but I haven’t been able to get blob recognition going. This will help MY efforts greatly. its amazing how Windows 7 finds all the right drivers eventhough I didnt know of any that were out there. This is great, now how about some tools for US to make our own Home Items and sell them in Home? Which is what was supposed to happen in the first place. Thanks for this. Made my day!!!! I’d rate this post 10 out of 10 but 5 out of 5 will do just fine.

JesseHaysFL said:

March 2nd, 11:46 am

When and where can we download the software? I cant wait to tinker!!!!!

TheGuardianFID said:

March 2nd, 11:57 am

Awesome, way to go Sony!!! 8D

Aquan89 said:

March 2nd, 12:00 pm

Don’t get used to it people. Some day this feature may be removed, just like it was with OtherOS. It’d be cool if Sony released SDK for homebrew games. Something like XNA Game Studio, so people wouldn’t have to hack the console. There was Yaroze for the PSX, there was Yabasic for PS2, why not make something similar for PS3? OtherOS was cool, people who are interested in computer programming could learn something about multicore programming thanks to powerful Cell BE processor that could be creatively used for so many other things than games. Why take it away? I know that most people didn’t use this functionality, but there are people like me, that like to learn about parallel programming and do some cool stuff with it. Now it seems that Sony is closed for creative people, which is very sad for me :(
I’d love to get my hands on SDK that would let me write small applications for the PS3 system. It doesn’t have to support Microsoft Windows, I’d gladly use it on one of GNU/Linux operating systems…

Zezzler said:

March 2nd, 12:21 pm

Thats cool and all, but what about an official Driver for Dualshock support on PC? I’m sure many more people would be interested in that. Move.me is probably really cool, but this would be soooo much more useful!

Sekoku said:

March 2nd, 1:53 pm

Can’t wait until someone backwards engineers this to not require the PS3 and create DS3 drivers for the only control scheme on a console I give a damn about: non-waggle.

PAGE 1 2