PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Dead Nation Introduces Voice Chat Integration, New Development Diary

Petteri Putkonen's Avatar + Posted by Petteri Putkonen on Mar 04, 2011 // Game Designer, Housemarque

Dead Nation for PS3 Panorama

Hi everyone! Housemarque is extremely pleased to report that Dead Nation received the Editor’s Choice award by Gaming Nexus, Just Push Start, Playstation Lifestyle, ZTGD, and Gamingbolt!

Not only that, but the game was also chosen as PSN game of the year 2010 by PS Nation, Gamingbolt, and PlayStation Lifestyle! We’re most honored for these awards, we wish to thank everyone who voted, this means a lot!

Now, we’re excited to report that our upcoming patch is only days away (coming Monday, March 7th) and will provide players with not only online co-op Voice Chat, but also Checkpoint saves, the ability to copy saves, and some even further surprises for all the Dead Nation players out there!

And finally, for those interested in seeing behind-the-scenes of the game’s development, we made a small development diary last year that shows just how the whole zombie pandemic really got started…

We want to thank all the Dead Nation players out there and let them know that they’re appreciated! Keep your eyes peeled and your wits about you, the apocalypse has only begun!

PAGE 1 2

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:03 am said:

1st and OOH YEAH…ABOUT DAMN TYME!

+ remanutd5 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

yes!!!!!!!!! the patch im waiting to get back to the game !!!!!!!

+ WoundedUnderwear on March 4th, 2011 at 8:09 am said:

Dose anyone still play this game online? Its a little to late to add voice chat. This should feature should had been included when the game was first release.

+ Carl-G on March 4th, 2011 at 8:11 am said:

Glad i can back-up my saves now :P Worse thing this gen is saves you can’t back up.

+ DCaliph on March 4th, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

YESS! Keep adding more to this game, its seriously so addictive!

DLC PLEASE! haha =P

+ XMbeaner on March 4th, 2011 at 8:13 am said:

And they said it couldn’t be done.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

@woundedunderwear..(and im guessing you were a victim to many wedgies) this game is fun..and the two update will make it alot more fun to play it. it would be better with 4 player co-op sine there are many zombies attacking you from every direction but i guess it wouldnt be too challenging and also thats what the new Ghostbusters is for..but yeah those features shouldve bin included but better late than never i say :p

+ Jose_64 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

A little late but it is a nice addition. I love this game best on PSN

+ shyguyNC on March 4th, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

YES! been working on a grim playthrough locally with a friend, now we can go at it online. We didn’t want to attempt without voice chat, Dead Nation is not an easy game, especially so without communication.

+ Berae on March 4th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

Oh yeah! I was waiting for that to play it on hardest difficulty. Thanks

+ Dragun619 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

Omg, finally, I was getting worried that voice chat wasn’t going to be patched, but thanks Housemarque for delivering it. Really appreciate it. I guess it’s time to return to Dead Nation and platinum it.

+ Brameriz on March 4th, 2011 at 8:23 am said:

That’s whats up #TeamBON

+ jonathan_val on March 4th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

At Last…
Thanks Housemarque, Dead Nation is the best…
RELEASE THE SOUNDTRACK TO PSN PLEASE…

+ Mattsta001 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

When will there be a demo? Sorry, not going to blindly buy the game, I want to try it first. Been burnt before. Why Sony doesn’t make a demo a prerequisite for all its published games is beyond me.

+ terrencec06 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

I bought this game on day one and put if off because it didn’t have voice chat. Thank you.

+ I3rand0 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

nice, features that this game should have had since day one are patched in three months later.

+ CelicaCrazed on March 4th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

It’s inexcusable to release an online game, and co-operative at that, without voice chat in this day and age.

+ KAPADO on March 4th, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

@2 kick rocks , I’m buying it now as well as a bunch of other people , I hate the jaded gamer that thinks nobody else will buy the game they don’t want, can’t afford or already have .

+ Hellman on March 4th, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

I love Deadnation! Defiantly my favorite psn game of 2010. Keep up the great work Housemarque you guys rock!

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

what a coinky dink, i’m just now half way thru this game…

+ remanutd5 on March 4th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

at 17 , me !!! add me as psn friend if you want

+ LpSquall on March 4th, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

I asked a few weeks ago about this patch and here it is. Awesome news. Now I will play this game online.

+ dragonmagician on March 4th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

Platinumed already. I’ll wait for a better reason to return.

+ KidCommando on March 4th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

Got the game on release and had a blast. Already got the plat for it too. Can’t really believe that voice chat wasn’t there from the start, but good to see you added it. In this day and age, not having voice chat for anything multiplayer hurts the experience.

I have a feeling this will be the game going on sale for that spring voting thing. Perfect time for a voice chat patch for all the new players.

Housemarque, you guys make great games. SSDHD and Dead Nation are both solid games and I look forward to your next project. Some Dead Nation DLC would be AWESOME! wink wink

+ RavenSPe on March 4th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

Finally! Now my friends will buy the game and I’ll have more people to co-op with. Sweet.

+ ModernYorkster on March 4th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

This is great news!

+ Dr_Dekes21 on March 4th, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

About time!!! :p how about some DLC? Great job with the game BTW. My fav PSN game.

+ AmethystVenom on March 4th, 2011 at 9:38 am said:

Some DLC would be nice but yeah, this is awesome news. I still have trophies to get. :-D

+ KwietStorm on March 4th, 2011 at 9:46 am said:

Is there a release date for outland yet?

+ Trieloth on March 4th, 2011 at 9:46 am said:

Humm this proves that people want and do chat on the PSN. Anyways thanks cuz it will be nice for the other person to hear “get that **** behind dumpster!

+ Go_Buddie_Go on March 4th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

It’s never too late, although some DLC down the road to show some love to the game would be nice. My friend and I started on co-op and still havent finished yet, We’ve been waiting for voice chat so I’m looking forward to diving back in and fighting off the horde again!

+ DZORMAGEN on March 4th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Finally, now I get to play this game which I bought (day 1) just waiting in my DL list since there was no voice chat! Thanks for the long awaited patch!!

+ Skater_Ricky on March 4th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

Main reason why i stopped playing this game was due to the lack of voice chat in Coop game play. Thank you for this. And next time you think about coop game make sure to include this on day one please it really runes the game play when your trying to work with a friend.

It’s like playing with a blind guy driving a race car. It purely does not mix.

+ mountain_duwe on March 4th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

finally! i’ve been waiting for this patch to play this game. i like it a lot but it needed voice chat. i’m glad it’s finally here.

+ Sekoku on March 4th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

Mid-level saving?

WAste of $15 still, then. And I trusted you after SSDHD, House Marquee.

+ WoundedUnderwear on March 4th, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

@nYcFrEeWiLL82..(and im guessing you are seriously butt hurt) because I made a comment on a game you really like (fanboy), otherwise you wouldn’t have made a smart remarks. All I imply was, that this voice chat feature should have been added to the game when it was first release. I really like this game too, but this feature is way over due and one of the reason I didn’t buy the game. And if you ask, I played this game over my son house. Now since it will have voice chat, I might consider buying this game now.

+ El_Hoardo on March 4th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

Cool beans. If this wins that Gamers’ Choice award and gets that 50% discount for Plus subscribers, I’ll be on this like stink on a monkey.

Petteri Putkonen's Avatar

+ David Bull on March 6th, 2011 at 5:19 pm said:

Fingers crossed!

+ Justp94 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

It took fricken like 2+ months for voice chat???

+ xDarkImagesx on March 4th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

cause they want to patch it in with the dlc coming, he already said that dlc is on the way in the psnation podcast,

+ LUGIEZ on March 4th, 2011 at 11:52 am said:

definitely looking forward to voice chat with this co-op game! finally, should have been there on release though!

+ nathanuc1988 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

LOVE this game.

The only things I didn’t like about it were the goofy saves (single player vs co-op vs online co-op), lack of voice chat, and delayed aiming while online. Looks like two of three of those are fixed now :)

+ Nikolodeon on March 4th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

I would really like to play the campaign again with my upgraded weapons. I worked hard for those, it’s too bad I couldn’t go through the game again with my roided out shotgun and Rocket Launcher!

+ yellowjacket486 on March 4th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

great game , needs a sequel

+ JakeRuiner on March 4th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

I just saw the “developer diary” from the link, and it’s hilarious. Quick question here, why would you guys get sent a zombie? I’m looking forward to picking this title up next week when it goes on sale. Super Stardust HD was a great addictive game, on of the first I bought on PSN, well worth it too. So I already know this game is gonna be something specially good.

+ plaztiksyke on March 4th, 2011 at 1:10 pm said:

My husband and I just finished Dead Nation and are now playing through again to get all the loot. Overall, we were most impressed by the physics, animation, and lighting. The use of surround sound was great, and paying attention to the zombie sounds really helped us.

The most frustrating times were when I lost track of where I was on the screen. In some of the darker areas, in a crowd of zombies, especially. Often, I would then confuse my local co-op partner’s avatar as mine. The lights on non-default guns are too minor to easily detect. (We are playing on a 50″ Panasonic Viera plasma HDTV, with professional calibration, in a dark room at night time.)

It would be nice if, in a big crowd of zombies, the characters turned a bit blue/red like they do when occluded by building and such. That would help me not ‘lose’ my character as much.

If there’s DLC, I hope it has some minor puzzle-y elements instead of just pushing a button multiple times. Also, being able to hoist/throw your partner using the melee move would be a cool addition from both a combat and puzzle/exploration perspective.

keep up the good work!

Petteri Putkonen's Avatar

+ David Bull on March 6th, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

+ BigPoppaB on March 4th, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

What about integrating a price cut? I loved SSHD, and this game looks great… but I’m not paying $15 for any DLC game.

Petteri Putkonen's Avatar

+ David Bull on March 6th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

If Dead Nation wins in the PSN Gamers Choice Awards, it will be offered at a 50% discount! Stay tuned to the Blog to see if Dead Nation won.

+ NotFrontin on March 4th, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

Decent patch. Checkpoint saving should help me finish those tougher levels.

Now lets get some add-on pack action!

+ BigFreezy1975 on March 4th, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

Im just glad we got voice chat yayy :) now back to killin those [DELETED] zombies with my good friend watching my back! Thank u and dare I say it? Why don’t you talk to your Facebook fans.. Anyway we appreciate this game it’s great and now I have a reason to go back guns ablazin’

PAGE 1 2