PS4-Watch_Dogs

Mortal Kombat Demo 3D Hands-On: What You’ll Get On Tuesday

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Mar 04, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Mortal Kombat for PS3

Sometimes, life is about the simple pleasures. The contented cooing of a sleepy puppy. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The sickening crunch of Scorpion stomping your rib cage while an X-ray view displays the internal damage in real time. In 3D.

Yes, friends. I have played the Mortal Kombat PSN demo, and it is good. Comprised of four characters and two stages, the demo is a meaty preview of what to expect when the full game hits PS3 on April 19th (April 21st in the EU). PlayStation Plus subscribers are getting early access this coming Tuesday, March 8th (March 9th in the EU) and it’ll be delivered directly to your PS3 as long as you enable Automatic Downloads in your XMB settings. All other PSN users will be able to download the demo on Tuesday, March 15th.

The demo comes with four playable fighters: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Fan-favorite Scorpion is nastier than ever, packing his trademark throwing spear (“Get over here!”) and a wicked new sword, while rival ninja Sub-Zero forges weapons from ice and shatters internal organs with a touch. Hollywood prima donna Johnny Cage hits below the belt, and sai-wielding mutant assassin Mileena makes no effort to hide her gleaming five-inch fangs. You’ll also get two environments: The Living Forest and The Pit, complete with its gruesome stage fatality.

Mortal Kombat for PS3: Sub-Zero

Mortal Kombat’s stereoscopic 3D viewing mode is exclusive to the PS3, and I was lucky enough to try it on a massive 60’’ 3D Sony Bravia. Stereoscopic 3D lends an impressive sense of grandeur and scope — the environments seem to stretch on into infinity but don’t distract from the fighting. “We didn’t want 3D to change the basic mechanics or complicate things needlessly,” Mortal Kombat creative director and series co-creator Ed Boon told me. “Our 3D implementation makes the characters pop from the background a little more, and helps you focus on them.” By rendering the fighters in 2D for its stereoscopic 3D mode, Mortal Kombat’s action remains visible even if you’re not wearing 3D glasses. This is a handy detail if you’re playing with a group on a 3D TV and find yourself short of 3D glasses — everyone will be able to play and watch whether they wear 3D glasses or not. If you’re not wearing glasses, the 3D backgrounds will look a bit blurry but the characters will appear crisp and clean.

Mortal Kombat for PS3Mortal Kombat for PS3

Gameplay-wise, the Mortal Kombat demo is loaded with special attacks, combos, juggles, and ultra-powerful X-ray attacks that will leave your opponents reeling (and your stomach heaving). The action is fast and satisfying, with a 2D, side-scrolling feel that’s much closer in spirit to MKII or MK3. A standout example lies in the glorious return of the turn-around kick, which is a powerful juggle combo starter where you jump over an opponent and kick after you clear his shoulder. Judging by my hands-on time, turn-around kicks — a staple of the classic games but downplayed in later entries — are back in full force. According to Boon, this is by design. “We know turn-around kicks are an essential ingredient this time,” Boon told me. With a little practice, I was able to easily perform my signature Scorpion combo from Mortal Kombat II: Turn-around jump kick, teleport punch, spear throw followed by an uppercut or combo for an easy 25-30% damage. Not bad, but I’m sure some of you can do much better!

The Mortal Kombat demo supports two modes: One-on-one Versus battles (the final game supports two-on-two tag battles as well), and a short single-player Ladder mode. Protip: Completing that Ladder mode in the PSN demo unlocks a jaw-dropping video montage of the final game, complete with glimpses of new fatalities, returning characters, and impressive new stages. I won’t spill any secrets, but consider that video to be required viewing.

Oh, and one more thing: The “Toasty” guy is back. I’ve seen him! Have any questions about the features or feel of the upcoming PS3 Mortal Kombat demo? I’ll be delighted to provide further information, just ask away in the comments.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ theamazen1 on March 6th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

*store* not story

+ KAINLESS on March 7th, 2011 at 4:21 am said:

what time will the demo be available..like is it worth waiting up tonight or will be be around mid day tomorrow?

+ double_creamed on March 7th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

im not sure what time the demo will be out in the uk, im gonna wait til the early hours :)

+ Shadowlaw7312 on March 7th, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

Yeah I’m stalking it too. I hope it gets posted after midnight or something. Been an MK fan since the first game (I was a teenager then lol). I used to play the beta arcade versions when they hit the game rooms (Arcades).

+ double_creamed on March 7th, 2011 at 12:18 pm said:

gonna try it in 3d, its gonna be amazing :), black ops will keep me going til tomoz :)

+ DamagedJustice69 on March 7th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

The early access is a killer perc especially with such and epic title as this one is. Can’t wait to get my hands on it!!! Plus the bookends they are selling in the Kollector’s set is just badass!!

+ YungShep on March 7th, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

LESS THEN 24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM UNLOCKING THE MONTAGUE AT ALL COSTS!!!

+ leeqin23 on March 7th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

American MK Stick on pal ps3 ?

+ rusty_trojan on March 7th, 2011 at 9:23 pm said:

Its March 8th, 12:22 am… Where is my Mortal Kombat already!?! Is this release eastern or western time? Its 12 am here on the east coast, do i have to wait till 3 when its 12 on the west? I tried to go to bed but it just aint happening…

+ rusty_trojan on March 7th, 2011 at 9:28 pm said:

Nevermind. The time of my last comment said it all.

+ Nacho_BiZ on March 7th, 2011 at 11:04 pm said:

Alright. I’m gonna have a seizure/coronary/BM/annuerism waiting for this Demo!!!!!!!!!!!

+ TDgam3r99 on March 8th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

hey tw i just checked psn sn hour ago and theres no demo for Mk??????

+ YOBoys on March 8th, 2011 at 6:43 am said:

Ok Where is the demo???????????????????????

+ FlurbsBR on March 8th, 2011 at 6:54 am said:

[DELETED]? Where is the demo??

+ FlurbsBR on March 8th, 2011 at 7:12 am said:

If I´m not wrong, as it will be available at EU on 9th, probably it will be available at US later 8th. Unfortunatelly.

+ morris1129 on March 8th, 2011 at 7:32 am said:

My automatic download is set for 2-4am and it’s wasn’t there this morning.

+ WizHead2010 on March 8th, 2011 at 7:35 am said:

Well 10:30am Est and still no Mortal Kombat Demo…
Plus I have a question, My PS+ runs out on or around the 10th, Will the demo stop working for me until the 15th?

+ Hymanator on March 8th, 2011 at 8:06 am said:

I don’t have PS+ but I am tempted to get it just to try out this demo… but I don’t think I want to pay 18 bucks to play a demo one week early.

+ OBMOC on March 8th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

They really need to get this stuff worked out so that the content is updated in the morning instead of late afternoon. It’s just bush league. With every update they release late. They might as well tell us that the updates will be on wed.instead of tues. By the time the update is pushed to me it will 4 or 5 pm on the 8th. The day will already be over. LAME!!! I had a perfectly good day set aside to play this game and it will now be wasted doing honey do list crap.

+ YOBoys on March 8th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

At least give us a time!!!!!!

+ Shadowlaw7312 on March 8th, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

I agree with you guys. It’s 10:30am in Chicago and still no demo. I set my auto-download for 3 diff times and got nada. I mean I can get a game at a midnight release at a GameStop. Or at 10am when they open that day. So I seriously, how hard is it to slap a demo on your network in a prompt fashion? I guess pretty hard. Then on top of it, the plus users only get a week of exclusivity? I’m starting to wonder if I’m going to renew my P-Plus at this point.

+ LewBerry5000 on March 8th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Where is the demo??? Ive logged in today to download it but i cant find it anywhere. CAN U HELP ME!!!!

+ YOBoys on March 8th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

Hey Sid what time????????????????

+ rusty_trojan on March 8th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

I dont usually stalk the Playstation Store for anything but i am under the impression that the Mortal Kombat Demo may not be available till at least 7pm Eastern Time, 4pm for the west coast. Thats when its officially March 9th in England… From what i understand they are suppose to be having site maintenance for the Europe Store around that time as well. Probably prepping the servers for the mass downloads about to occur.

+ ZabuzaZ3r0 on March 8th, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

I love how my comment was deleted, you guys really messed up on this one. Ps + really isnt worth it, all these lies about early access and auto download is bs. Im still waiting for my damndemo -_-

+ err0r_k1ll4 on March 8th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

ok do you have to have it set to auto update or can i just download it when it hits the store?

+ TruRage on March 8th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

@ 125

It was supposed to be pushed to those with automatic updates but It hasn’t so I guess we have to wait until later on tonight when the store is updated.

+ PsYcHo_OZ_VeGaS on March 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

It’s almost noon, and no demo. Seriously, this crap is pissing me off. I am seriously starting to regret getting Playstaion Plus.

+ YOBoys on March 8th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Once again let down big time!!!
At least give us a f***ing Time!!!!!!!!
This is b*****it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ InuShonen on March 8th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

Stop being little whiny babies.. jesus christ..

+ DarkTravesty on March 8th, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

@130 it has nothing to do with being babies. sony needs a set update time on their store. just as an example micosofts marketplace is updated midnight (in seattle) which being in the central us happens for me at 3 am. i never stay up that late but having that assurance that when i wake up everything will be there is alot better than not knowing.

+ InuShonen on March 8th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

well people don’t have to cry about a game thats not out the hour of the day it’s released lol seriously.. OMG MORTAL KOMBATS NOT OUT AT MIDNIGHT! OMG I HATE PLAYSTATION PLUS!! O yea Sony’s really screwing you guys..

+ TruRage on March 8th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Well, it’s not playstation plus thats a problem. I regularly (And got updated today, as a matter of fact) get push updates from DCUO and patches from other games so I’m quite happy with the service. Honestly, I think it has to do with the dev gettin the demo ready for playstation network. :P

+ double_creamed on March 8th, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

just been told via google new the psn network scheduled maintenance from 4:05 uk time, and will be offline for 9 hours :(
the same also follows the usa servers, i hope i get the demo before :(

+ FlurbsBR on March 8th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

I´ve already downloaded the demo… YEAHHHHH

+ InuShonen on March 8th, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

It’s out now.

+ FlurbsBR on March 9th, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

Guys, I´m facing some problems with demo. When I win the round, it appears “ScorpionBUGME”, and this BUG ME appears in other parts of the game.

Anyone here know what does it mean?

Tks.

+ Deaviantshark411 on March 9th, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

Thanks for the details. I find mortal kombat very very VERY addictive and bloody, I was excited they came out with this game to make up for DC Universe. I have Mortal Kombat vs. DC but not really fun when they cutted out the gore, THAT’S THE POINT OF MORTAL KOMBAT!! RIPPIN SKULLS AND KILLING PEOPLE!!!!! FATALITY!!!

+ haggler22 on March 9th, 2011 at 10:33 pm said:

Hey guys, I finally got to check it out. Here are my impressions.. I think it’s going to be a great game, although the demo was very short unfortunately. I only had a few small complaints and those were, mileena’s outfit being way too slutty. She almost looks like a transvestite, and i’m no prude. But my girlfriend’s exact quote was “now that’s unecessary, she looks like a tranny” Then it hit me.. she does! I understand there are other costumes, but the slutty ones need to go. They should not be default, i’m not 17 anymore. Also the character selection screen music and overall look and reminds very much of mortal kombat deception or deadly alliance.. which isn’t that bad I guess.. It’s got that mk deception guitar (or was it deadly alliace) the game almost feels like an advanced version of one of those games (da, deception).. especially now that they are adding the krypt and all, which I loved. But I guess I just expected it to feel.. totally different, in mirror matches, it’d be nice if the characters said something different to eachother, instead of just repeating the exact quote, Overall fun to see.. but short.

+ haggler22 on March 10th, 2011 at 12:50 am said:

My last comment is, it is very polished, and I am more excited after sitting down and playing this demo. I do feel that this is a very advanced version of “MK deception” with an mk2/mk3 theme. But that is okay with me, I actually really enjoyed that game. I’m just glad to have a good mortal kombat game coming out with some of the 2d mechanics added back in. This was definitely more fun playing than just watching the youtube videos.. The graphics are great in real-time. I Can’t wait.

+ darkwolf890 on March 14th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

I just got done playing the demo at a friends house and it was breath-taking. The only problem was I could not do a single fatality. I have no problem doing them in the other mk games, so can anyone tell me the command for any of them. Thank you!

+ Specialist2000 on March 16th, 2011 at 4:08 am said:

hi i been waiting all week and weekend for this demo on mk but still cannot download – as it is only availabe on ps plus – it is the 16 today and still not able to download – arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!

+ leuska on March 16th, 2011 at 1:08 pm said:

How can I setup this MK9 demo into 3D??? I have PS3 slim and Sony Bravia 3D with stereoscopic glasses included. but in game it still written I need to have compatibile hardware … Help, please

+ weepingangels on March 16th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

Will it support a bluetooth headset for talking to freinds and you beat them silly?
That was the one thing i hated about mortal kombat vs dc.

PAGE 1 2 3