PS4-The Order

SOCOM 4 Bomb Squad Revealed, Beta Release Details

Chris Roper's Avatar + Posted by Chris Roper on Mar 04, 2011 // Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

SOCOM 4: Bomb Squad

Competitive multiplayer has always been the core of the SOCOM franchise, and SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs takes it further than ever before with modes and options that both new recruits and veterans alike will enjoy. We’ve previously covered three of our four competitive modes — Suppression, Last Defense and Uplink — and today we’re excited to unveil our fourth mode, Bomb Squad.

In Bomb Squad, Insurgents have planted a number of bombs around the map and the Spec Ops team must defuse them all before time runs out. What makes Bomb Squad special is that it features the unique Bomb Technician character, played by one member of the Spec Ops team, who is charged with defusing the explosives. He carries both an automatic shotgun and a mobile grenade launcher and is very heavily armored, making him a deadly force on his own; that said, the technician is still an open target any time he turns his back to defuse Insurgent bombs. Succeeding in Bomb Squad requires tactics, teamwork, patience and confidence to get the job done, all pillars of the overall SOCOM experience.

SOCOM 4: Bomb SquadSOCOM 4: Bomb Squad

When can you get your hands on Bomb Squad, you ask? Well, you’ll be able to try out all four of our modes on two maps in our upcoming beta! The SOCOM 4 Multiplayer Beta will include each of the game’s competitive multiplayer modes — Suppression, Last Defense, Uplink and Bomb Squad — all playable on the maps “Port Authority” and “Assault & Battery”. And of course, you’ll be able to play each of our modes in either of their Standard or Classic variants.

SOCOM 4: Bomb Squad

The SOCOM 4 Multiplayer Beta will roll out in four separate phases. It’ll begin with a small, private group and then expand weekly from there until it’s freely available to everyone! Here’s the schedule for each of the beta’s rollout phases:

• On March 15th, a private beta goes live. We’ll be contacting eligible players soon.
  • Beginning March 22nd, PlayStation Plus members will gain access to the beta.
  • On March 29th, anyone with a beta code included with Killzone 3 gains entry.
  • Starting April 5th, the beta will be freely downloadable to anyone via PlayStation Network.

The beta is scheduled to run until April 13th, at which point the servers will be taken down in preparation of SOCOM 4′s retail release on April 19th!

+ XMbeaner on March 4th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

winning

+ newsense2008 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

bomb squad sounds a lot like Counter Strike. Can’t wait to play it!

+ Ama_Daoes on March 4th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

Socom continues to impress, and I will buy the Full Deployment edition for sure.

+ Juelz345 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

All of you complaining about “being ripped off” by the KZ3 purchase deserve it.

Why on earth would you pay $60 just get into a beta? Especially with no promise of how long or expansive said beta would be? That’s just silly.

They said that purchasing KZ3 would get you into the beta and it did. If you decided that it meant the beta would be exclusive to you or that you’d have it first, that’s your fault.

PS= member pay a premium and deserve early/first access to these things, beta’s were one of the big selling points for PS+.

I bough KZ3 for KZ3, the beta was just a bonus. I’m also a PS member so i’ll be getting in sooner regardless but i’m not blaming Sony or Zipper for “making” me purchase KZ3.

@18 when you put your comment into Google Translate from Stupid to English it says:

OMG! I bought a great game that i didn’t want so that i could briefly play another game that may or may not be good. And now i can’t play that game before other people, so not fair! Now I’m going to sell the game that I bought for less than I paid for it and still not play the game that I really want. That’ll teach Sony!

+ vr6GOLFr32 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

I’m going to assume that the bomb technician is randomly selected before each round begins correct?

+ kenoetheboss on March 4th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

you guys sucks i aint buying socom 4, i buy killzone 3 to get the beta code and it seem every body on the face of the planet will get in the beta before me what a waste feel like zipper gonna turn into activision soon. shady promotion schme i dont deal with companys that do that

+ Farmer-Brown on March 4th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

Hoping I get into the private beta Roper…I’m a constant socom forum lurker and I’ve played socom since day one, also have a playstation move. Kinda wish I would’ve posted a lot of dribble on the forums like many of the 1000+ posts forum members that use it as a chat room and not a board about socom.

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

Socom 4 ahhh can’t wait and i hope Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 come with Playstation Move and Sharp shooter support too…

plz ^_^

+ oilahize on March 4th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

CHRIS ROPER!!!!

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

@people, everybody stop complaining if you bought Killzone 3 was not for the Socom 4 beta or the people are so stupid to spend $60 dollars for a beta

I think we all bought Killzone 3 because we love it we not spend $60 dollars for a beta we spend $60 dollars for a game

Im playing Killzone 3 and I love it ^_^

+ terrencec06 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

im soooooo happy

+ Alcohog on March 4th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

This Steve0 guy is mad amirite?

+ LordRaoh on March 4th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

The beta seems awfully close to the release date, I’m assuming zipper is very confident about the quality of the game and the beta is more of server stress test?

+ Inofensivo on March 4th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

Zipper is Back, MAG is Awsome, when can i see Kahuna or Boomer Again ? or Specter

+ LordRaoh on March 4th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

Also, I find the April 19th Release date disturbing.

Sony has a lot riding publicly on the partnership between Valve and Sony with the release of Portal 2. This is a big deal and a high profile game.

Having two high profile games releasing on the same day seems counter productive to both first party and third party relations.

I plan to get both but what about the gamer who cant afford two games or the sales that each of the titles misses out on when one consumer chooses one game over the other.

I’m very disappointed that this was not considered by who ever is in charge or the release schedule for playstation games. That person needs to seriously reevaluate their release schedule procedures and priorities.

+ Xoombie503 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

YOU BOUGHT KILLZONE3 FOR THE GAME…THE beta code was just a bonus so stop whining.

+ Alcohog on March 4th, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

Does SOCOM have 3D support?

Chris Roper's Avatar

+ Chris Roper on March 4th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

It does indeed.

+ MoneyMaker110 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

i like the the sound of the mode. now to see what gets me into beta first

+ Sub-Zero on March 4th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

Im ready …Sharpshooter in hand.Lets roll out lol

+ Rene_Led on March 4th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

So…I have PS+…that means the Socom I have is only good for the last wave or private Beta? Oh well, like naother user sid, I’ll probalby give the code to someone else who don’t have PS+ :)

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

It doesn’t matter! Killzone should of got into the beta first! Its [DELETED] they did a shady [DELETED] promotion like that and those people get it last!!

+ Brosive on March 4th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

BEYOND!!!!

+ NO_FEAR on March 4th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Lots of options to access the beta. In the ned everyone has a shot…all pun intended!

…now what to do with my KZ3 beta code ;) lol

gg

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

It doesn’t matter killzone should get it 2nd not ps+ and I’m a member!! Shady ass promotion by Sony and Zipper!!! Period!!!

+ WoundedUnderwear on March 4th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

I never new that Socom 4 beta was pack in with Killzone 3 till I got home and open it. What a plus bonus for me. YES!!! Can’t wait for the Beta.

As for the PS PLUS user I kinda feel for them. They was promise free beat access first, but now other people will get into the beta before they do with this private beta invite.

+ torontogoalie on March 4th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Wow you really suck Sony… and Zipper… you get us to buy KZ3 to get a beta code that only gets us a beta a week before everyone else gets it… you guys are garbage… and on top of it the code doesnt work until over a month after we get it…. go to hell Sony and zipper

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Chris Roper you and the whole Zipper team Go F Yourself!!! And I’ve been playing since S1 and this is a joke!!!

+ torontogoalie on March 4th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

Im already not buying Socom 4 after this… I’ll stick to counter strike source on my pc….

+ Guitarman2355 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

This game is looking AWESOME! And being a PS+ member and early access to the beta = FTW!

Chris Roper..BEYOND!!! Miss you on Podcast Beyond.

+ Bizdady on March 4th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

I was playing Socom since before sony even had a network adapter for the ps2 so Yes I would buy a game just for beta access for a Socom game. This said Killzone 3 was great sp game but lacking in mp so I sold it after beating it, kept my code but that was just a farce promotion. I along many S1 loyals were waiting for this to hopefully bring back Socom into the shooter mp world. They sure know how to treat their loyal fanbase though.

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

@torontogoalie stop complaining read my comment @56 you are so stupid

+ NiTeShAdE83 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

Man I hope I get picked!!!

+ godsdice on March 4th, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

Hey Roper thanks for the info! Any idea how many people you guys want to have in the closed beta? 100? 1000?

+ Poopypants808 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

Thank you for the update. Can’t wait for the games release, Hopefully everything runs smoothly. Good luck. :)

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

And for all u little doucebags sayin stop complaining F off!! If u don’t think that is some shady ass promotion your just as pathetic as Zipper and Sony.. doing their loyal fan base dirty like this…every hardcore socom fan got killzone just to be first to get in tha beta and they annouce that they are last..pssshhttt did us so dirty!!!

+ Bizdady on March 4th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

Funny how KZ has to piggy back off Socom…

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

@Bizdady nobody forced you to buy killzone 3 reads my comment number @56 and moreover that’s the biggest stupidity I’ve seen in my life spend $60 dollars for a beta lol you are idiot

+ VanilaGorila-x- on March 4th, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

Will the Beta be playable in 3D?

Peace,
VG

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

@Catch-u-SlipN another stupid you spend $60 dollars for a beta and yes you are a complaing the F****** is for you

+ Bizdady on March 4th, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

I bought an extra copy my friend got since he ordered 2 so I made out with a free code and extra 5 bucks after I sold the game so no big deal. But dont advertise early beta access if you buy a certain game to get game sales and then just turn around and be like ooh here u go a beta access after everyone else n their mommas have already been in it.

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

You idiot its not about paying 60 bucks for a beta..we should atleast get it before ps+ we actually when and bought killzone to have what ZIPPER SAYS EARLY ACCESS TO BEAT AND KILLZONE GETS IT ABSOLUTLEY LAST! GTFO!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS

+ bminty on March 4th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

I really hope I’ll be able to get in on the private beta. I was pumped to get back into a Zipper SOCOM. It would suck to have to wait till the Killzone “early access”.

+ scorpio182 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

Hmmm ps+ time???

+ KazeEternal on March 4th, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

Will PS+ just be generalized (made available in the download section) or will there be codes sent out? I purchased KZ3 and I’d hate to see one of my perks go to waste. In otherwords I’d like to let a friend in so I can play along side them.

+ BuN-WeEd-24-7 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

So if i sign up for PS+ will i still get early access to socom beta on march 22nd????

+ Catch-u-SlipN on March 4th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

The first thing anybody even heard about tha beta was through Killzone and they are last to get access besides the whole PSN lol I got both so it doesn’t matter to me but there is no reason y it should be private/killzone/ps+/psn and they didn’t annouce other ways to get it until everybody already spent their money!! I can’t believe people disagree that that was some shady promotion! Period!!

+ erick_34 on March 4th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

@Catch-u-SlipN but i say again nobody forced you to buy killzone 3 I’m just saying that there are many people complaining because they bought the game and everyone will have Access to the beta nobody forced them to buy Killzone 3

i bought Killzone 3 the first day it release and I I’m not complaining about the news

+ Fenrisulfr_ on March 4th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

I didn’t get KZ3, but the fact that they bought the game with such and only get it a week before me? That’s kind of wrong.

+ xDarkImagesx on March 4th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

thats awesome to see what gets more hits a lame multi plat crysis 2 or socom 4, im going with socom 4 with the win

+ The-Jack-Burton on March 4th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

I just pre-ordered the Socom 4 Full Deployment Bundle! I wanted to let you know that I appreciate such a great deal, thank you.