Uncharted 4

UNCHARTED 3 Lights Up GDC With 3D, Villainess Katherine Marlowe

Arne Meyer's Avatar + Posted by Arne Meyer on Mar 08, 2011 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Like UNCHARTED

Last week, Naughty Dog and SCEA held a packed-to-the-rafters press event at the PlayStation.Blog lounge at GDC 2011 focusing on UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception. The anticipation from the invited press was palpable as they all filtered into the PlayStation.Blog Lounge – afterwards, word on the street was that we delivered.

Evan Wells, Christophe Balestra, Richard Lemarchand and yours truly were to give the demo and speak with the press – the embargo just lifted this morning, so be sure to visit your favorite gaming media outlet for their take on the event and the reveals.

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception: Marlowe and Drake's awkward reunion

We kicked off the press event with the first-ever demo outside of Naughty Dog halls of UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception in stereoscopic 3D. We chose to present a portion of the burning chateau sequence we premiered in late December. Since most people would already be familiar with the way the sequence looked and played, we thought it would make all the more evident the stellar work the Naughty Dog team has put into making the 3D presentation part of the core Naughty Dog Engine. In my opinion, with this small snippet of gameplay we’ve proven that we’re able to perfectly retain all of the spectacular visuals and effects that you’ve come to expect from an UNCHARTED game into the 3D presentation. Playing in 3D gives you some added benefits to gameplay as well, such as improved aiming around corners and an excellent read on depth for all traversal sequences, no matter how tricky. Unfortunately, until you get to see UNCHARTED 3 running in 3D at an event or in your home this November, you’ll have to rely on impressions from our attending media for how good it looked and played.

The real meat of the press event was the unveiling of the central antagonist that will try to foil Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan at every opportunity – meet Katherine Marlowe in the video above.

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception: Katherine Marlowe

Marlowe is definitely not one you want to get in the way of, or worse, double cross! To give you some background, Katherine Marlowe is the coldly calculating leader of a secret society whose roots date back over four hundred years to the court of Queen Elizabeth I. She has a long-standing rivalry with Nathan Drake over Sir Francis Drake’s ring – something they both contend is rightfully theirs and is also the key to an ancient mystery. As you can tell from the cutscene above, Marlowe is a much more cerebral enemy than Drake has confronted in the past, using both psychological and physical tactics to get what she is after. Marlowe also has the assistance of her team of highly trained agents in this secret society – they are far more elusive and dangerous than the hired guns Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan have faced in the past.

Additionally, we’ve uploaded a set of stills from the cutscene, a high-resolution render of Katherine Marlowe and concept art of the agents and thugs Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan will face in UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception.

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception

We hope you’ve all enjoyed meeting Katherine Marlowe in our GDC 2011 reveal. Stay tuned as we still have a ton of information we want to reveal – with little to no spoilers! – over the next eight months leading up to UNCHARTED 3’s PS3 release on 11-1-11.

+ dirtyd89 on March 8th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

Naughty Dog please offer a Collector’s Edition for UC3 I really want one.

I’ll pay top dollar for it.

I have some ideas.
ex.)
-Game (Obviously.)
-Soundtrack
-PS Home Avatar Outfits
-PS Dynamic Theme
-2X Multiplayer Cash Week. (For the first week of launch.)
-Art Book.
-UC3 Poster. (I want another poster for my room.)
-Gold Guns (Bring them back in UC3.)
etc.

UC3 is my most anticipated game this year.

Looking forward to it.

+ Zinacef on March 8th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

If she’s going to be the final boss of this one, then I’m thinking you guys are going to make this one much too easy!

+ Dice_for_Death_ on March 8th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

Good lord. Put me down for a hundred copies!

+ ArcaneAltair on March 8th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

Day 1 purchase.

+ ProSoldier14 on March 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm said:

Is it me or did she say, “we won’t harm your precious boy”?

+ Ethereal on March 8th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Wow very impressed by the graphical quality displayed with still 8 months of work left (would expect anything else from the team over a Naughty Dog). Everybody doubled Sony when the PS3 launched saying that they were spilling out empty promises of revolutionary games and entertainment. I for one knew it was only a matter of time. ND, you guys have my money already, keep up the good work and keep teasing us with these types of goodies!

+ leo8877 on March 8th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

Looks fantastic!!!

+ ItsJoseph22 on March 8th, 2011 at 12:18 pm said:

wow… im speechless, just cant wait :)

+ TreasureReserved on March 8th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

I’m nitpicking here (and I know its early in development) but I have a few issues with this scene. The light bloom on Nathan’s white collar is overdone and a little distracting. Katherine’s skin looks odd in the cutscene. It doesn’t have the same quality as Nathan’s. That may be because of the saturated lighting and or the skin shader. I don’t know exactly but something’s off. Also, Katherine’s hair color and skin color almost blend into each other. Maybe a more contrasting hair color would have been a better choice to better frame her face as the focus point? Then there’s the necklace issue that someone else pointed out. It seems to pop out of nowhere. Other than that the voice acting, camera work, and animation are all superb as expected.

+ heatseeker on March 8th, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

JASON STATHAM!?

+ toontagger on March 8th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

AMAZING!!!! THis and inFAMOUS 2 are my game of the years! Loving it.

One question: Will Cloe or Elena come back in this game?

+ king_of_kings on March 8th, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

The first guy that beats up drake looks a lot like jason statham lol…but omfg I want it already……is there going to be a collectors edition?????

+ TheGuardianFID on March 8th, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

FREAKING AWESOME!!! 8)

+ osricenpatt on March 8th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

I can’t… I can’t… I can’t take this anymore, I’m so depressed… I’m not part of the game….

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 8th, 2011 at 1:09 pm said:

I agree with #42 on putting Uncharted 1 and eventually 2 on PSN, I would probably double dip. Sony has been very lazy on that while XBL has a crapload of games on demand. Get on the ball Sony.

Two things:

1) Move support? If no, why not?
2) Co op, is it online AND offline? ND is my last hope that one of SCE’s internal team gets it. GG and Zipper obviously don’t.

+ Rambo_24 on March 8th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

OHHHHH DAMMMM!!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!!

UNCHARTED 3 IS GOING TO LOOK SO AMAZINGLY SEXY!!!!

+ KARAMO on March 8th, 2011 at 1:23 pm said:

I am really excited for this

+ PoInTyNiPs on March 8th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

Wow so beautiful the lighting is way much better and now everything seamlessly runs smoother. This is weird but the thing that I always wanted in multiplayer was to customize your character’s appearance, every single detail from wrinkles to how clean or dirty the cloths can get something like that will set the bar and beyond any customization in any game. Please minimize the ping pong size bullets Uncharted Drake’s Fortune had it right so in Uncharted Drake’s Deception please minimize it or make it more real. Please have co-op offline split-screen if not please have it as DLC.

+ orenjikitty on March 8th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

Thank you for the response! She looks a lot like Helen Mirren. Either way, I’m stoked for this game! I just pre-ordered it!

+ DION3TO on March 8th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

I just can’t wait for this. I’m sure this is gonna be one of the best 2011’s best games around in the PS3.

Just gotta thank Naughty Dog and Sony for such game achievment in gaming industry!

+ explosive78 on March 8th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

Story looks great already.

+ Detective-E on March 8th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

I hope you extend this game for polish..

+ Detective-E on March 8th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

also, the actress was on the titanic

+ frogdude22 on March 8th, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

Reviewers are going to create a new scale for this game …

+ Armstrong on March 8th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

FUUUUUUUOMMMMGGGGG

+ destructo10 on March 8th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

So much win. Naughty Dog needs to teach IG how to make sequels.

+ jveloz21 on March 8th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

lol I said the same thing as ilikemonkeys. In certain parts of the cutscene (when he says oh cr**) Drakes face does look a little chubby

+ jveloz21 on March 8th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

idk if anyone else feels the same way but the city just doesn’t feel like an Uncharted game. I hope they don’t spend too much time in the city cause I would like to see more of the desert and stuff.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on March 8th, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

Love the game, buying it, but all the art I’ve seen for U3 so far makes Drake’s face look a bit puffy and he has a big nose, to me it doesn’t look like the same person. Similar yeah but he just doesn’t look like Drake!

+ Kittonwy on March 8th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

Awesome rawr. >:|

+ D-Squad3 on March 8th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Villainess FTW, I hope to see more!!!

+ theultimatenub on March 8th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

I cannot wait to play this game its so amazing!

+ MadMeat001 on March 8th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

Is that Jason Statam?

+ Icestar10 on March 8th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

Looking good, I can’t wait!

+ darkdodie on March 8th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

It’s Helen Mirren and Jason Statham!

+ ClassicSpyroFan on March 8th, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

Naughty dog has given the fans two of the things they wanted, a female antagonist, and Nate in tux. Good job so far, don’t let us down!!

+ OreoPoptart on March 8th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

I’m get this game for sure.

+ Ama_Daoes on March 8th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

I am so excited for what the Dogs are up to this time around. You better keep me posted Arne!!!!!lol

+ michaelochs on March 8th, 2011 at 5:14 pm said:

OMG MOTHER FING G DID NOT SEE THIS COMING IT LOOKS SO FING EPIC MORE TRAILERS I CAN’T WAIT TILL NOVEMBER WELL…..THAT’S OVER SAYING IT I’LL BE PLAYING MSA,HOMEFRONT,SOCOM4,SOCERCEY,INFAMOUS2,MW3 IF IT EXISTS AND IF IT COMES OUT FIRST I’LL ADMIT SOMETHING I NEVER LIKED THE UNCHARTED GAMES UNTIL I PLAYED THEM THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO BE BAD BECAUSE IT WAS 3RD PERSON (HINT I WAS UBSESSED WITH COD BUT NOW I THINK IM STARING TO GO MORE TOWARDS 3RD PERSON SUCH AS UNCHARTED LOVE IT ,SOCOM,AND INFAMOUS 2 NEVER PLAYED 1 THOUGH OH AND SAME WITH ASSASSINS CREED BROTHERHOOD LIKED THE DEMO BUT NEVER PLAYED 1OR2 BUT YA THIS GAME IS IN MY MUST BUY LIST COMING AT NUMBER 1 THANKYOU NAUGHTYDOG AND PLEASE NEVER GO WITH MICROSOFT OR NINTENDO.

+ python1210 on March 8th, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

@139 Naughty Dog is owned by SCE so they will never work with Microsoft or Nintendo.

And I cant wait for this game! I would go to the midnight launch if it didnt come out during football season. And I will for sure get the collectors edition if you release one. Maybe even another PS3 if it comes with a cool U3 design.

+ Sephir007 on March 8th, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

I have U1, U2, and will have U3!, you guys are amazing, I will enjoy the 3D aspect, but I hope you put a configurable setting for depth, like GT5, so we can adjust it to our preference.

+ Madvillen on March 8th, 2011 at 6:28 pm said:

Drake does look a bit fatter, like in the cheeks and mouth area lol. Its like the mouth area has deeper lines making his cheeks look puffy.

+ X_Chimer0s_X on March 8th, 2011 at 6:49 pm said:

Apparently Sony thought they could be slick and sneak a 3D version of the first Uncharted 3 trailer onto the PlayStation Store without me noticing! I downloaded and watched it and it looks amazing. From what I can see they really did manage to make the game stay as sharp in 3D as it is in 2D. The few short glimpses of gameplay they show in 3D in the trailer looks incredible. I can’t wait. Hopefully when they start releasing some gameplay footage like they did for Uncharted 2 they’ll release some 3D versions of it on PSN. Either way, I can’t wait for this game – Midnight release for sure. I’ll be taking vacation the week this releases.

+ Soruichi_Kitty on March 8th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

I also have Uncharted 1 and 2 (I’m currently beating 2 on crushing).It’s awesome how Uncharted Drake’s Fortune felt completely different than Among Thieves. Another new promising environment seems to be on its way. :)

+ bow7 on March 8th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

The cutscene looks as great as ever. Marlowe reminded me a little of Dame Judi Dench as M. I think she has been the best and most memorable M. So needless to say I am even more excited about Uncharted 3 after seeing this.

+ Liquidus_Snake_ on March 8th, 2011 at 7:31 pm said:

I know it’s probably hard to say, but – Visually speaking, how far along are you guys/gals? (a percentage, maybe?)
Not that I have any doubts, I’m just curious.
Naughty Dog’s eye-candy = Yum!

+ rockocp on March 8th, 2011 at 7:43 pm said:

Someone build a time machine.. I want November 1 to come already.. Im so excited.

+ Impairing on March 8th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

Naughty Dog just needs to keep doing what they’re doing. I love the women of this series and I honestly can’t say that for many other games. They know how to write and present them and I love that fact. They aren’t just objects to be oogled. :)

Now, like Steve Valentine mentioned in one of the behind the scenes, about this ‘Flynn’s Revenge’… ;D (Kidding, kidding. I just love the character.)

+ crowsticky1234 on March 8th, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

By seeing this video, Uncharted 3 is going to show alot of surprises that many would not expect. Seeing a lady as a antagonist is going to be a challenge for Nathan Drake or Victor Sully. It’s goin to be more dramatic than the predecessors. Can’t wait for further details.

+ hife on March 8th, 2011 at 8:17 pm said:

Ooooooh, Naughty Dog. I love Guerrilla, Santa Monica and especially Sucker Punch, but you guys… how do you do the magic you do?

I can’t believe the audacity of David O. Russell, claiming there isn’t much story to Uncharted. Y’all should find some way to make a feature length cartoon, cgi or otherwise, in the vein of Eye of Indra.