PS4-The Order

Online Storage for Game Saves Coming to PlayStation Plus

Susan Panico's Avatar + Posted by Susan Panico on Mar 09, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

Hey everyone – We’ve got an exciting new feature coming exclusively to PlayStation Plus subscribers. Included in the system software update (v3.60) coming tomorrow to PS3, PlayStation Network’s new online storage for game saves feature gives PlayStation Plus subscribers the capability to back up game save data to the cloud. Online storage for game saves is a great way for PlayStation Plus subscribers to ensure that their data files are secure and also for users who wish to access their files from other PS3 systems.

PlayStation Plus Logo White

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

As I mentioned before, online storage for game saves functionality is included automatically for PlayStation Plus subscribers with system software update (v3.60), which will be available on March 10, 2011, and users can access their stored data on the XMB at any time. Additionally, users who save their files to the cloud can access their data on any PS3, using their PSN sign-in ID.

PlayStation Plus subscribers should turn on the auto-download feature to ensure that the update will begin downloading as soon as it’s available, so you can start backing up your game saves right away. If you aren’t already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, be sure to check out our bi-weekly post highlighting the free games, discounts and exciting exclusives we offer, in addition to the upcoming online storage for game saves feature.

Other minor features will also be added via system software update (v3.60). For more information please visit http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ once the update is live.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9

+ Dessron on March 9th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

Will there be an option to copy all save games at once because I got over 100 PS3 games and it’ll take me forever to do this qith all my saves?

+ R2tito11 on March 9th, 2011 at 12:30 pm said:

@Karen, i bought a 1 year subscription (that included the 3 free months) can i buy another 1 year subscription and get another 3 months free??

Susan Panico's Avatar

+ Karen Spearrin on March 9th, 2011 at 1:03 pm said:

You sure can! You are able to stack your subscriptions. Just be sure you buy another 1-year subscription before the limited time offer ends.

+ Ziggy3069 on March 9th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

Overly Happy that I am a Plus!!! I knew that when I purchased Plus great things would happen.

+ JesseHaysFL on March 9th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

GO GATORS!!

+ BShornock on March 9th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

Damn, I wish that they had the save backup when I upgraded my Hard Drive in October from a 120GB to a 1TB, lost a few Playstation Home items as well(Tekken 6, White Knight Chronicles), but it’s still a great feature especially if you are over a friend’s house and want to play your saves instead of starting fresh.

+ XSPACEGODZILLAX on March 9th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

can all acounts use cloud my plus account is only for buying stuff my main acccount i use to play online

+ Butters360 on March 9th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Can we all just call this PlayStation Cloud? Thank you Sony and SCEA for this!

+ HeLLeVeN11 on March 9th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

Awesome!!! Keep the new PS+ feature coming, great job!

+ Hogwild333 on March 9th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Thanks for the tip about renewing your one year subscription before it runs out in order to get an extra three months for free. I’m definitely going to renew before that offer runs out.

+ Ubisoft on March 9th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Any other features within 3.60?

+ Ubisoft on March 9th, 2011 at 12:50 pm said:

@101

The nline storage is for game saves only, you will not need more than 150mb.

Those other services you listed are e-mail services, meaning you can attach any file you want which greatly increases the size required.

+ XSPACEGODZILLAX on March 9th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

any new on ps4 they say it coming 2012?

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on March 9th, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

incredible

PS PLUS is a bargain!!!!!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 9th, 2011 at 1:03 pm said:

@157

Yes I will, sports game save data alone take 30-50MBs of data or more.

I listed those other services to show that free services with huge amounts of data, which Sony should include. 150MBs suck to be honest, but because I’m a Gator and the lady answering the question here is one as well, I’m not that upset about it, but it still means I’m not signing up.

+ Detective-E on March 9th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

I have Castle crashers save on my old ps3
I am going to try to transfer it to my slim.
I updated the firmware (but can’t log on) so let’s see

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

@164 So don’t sign up lol…I don’t think anyone really cares if you don’t bro.

+ T3mpr1x on March 9th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

Thankfully I still have my old HDD, which has some copy-protected saves that did not carry over to my new HDD. This should hopefully solve all of that! Can’t wait to let my game saves live in the cloud!

+ megafan999 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

Ok let me go get 5 1-year subscriptions so that I get 15 free months! (just kidding).

Question though, will PS+ be continued/transfered when the PS4 finally comes out? I wouldn’t want to get another (or more) suscription(s) with the possibility of it becoming useless (of course, this probably won’t happen for a while, but just in case).

+ digitalman123 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

How did you know I was running out of memory? Perfect! Thanks Sony, and keep them great ideas comin’!
So, this is protected right? Want my old saves to be protected…

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 9th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

@166

I’m not, but apparently you cared enough to address me…..bro…

+ Blkant on March 9th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

So I’m a bit lost, do we have to copy the saved data to the server every single time the save is updated, or after initially asking it to copy that saved data will it then continue to back it up for us?

Btw, nice gators icon :P I personally go to UCF (brothers at UF though) but no matter, nice to see a Florida college team supported on the blog :P

+ Butters360 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

Hah, I just went through calculating all my game saves from KB to MB. It’s only 63MB! Awesome. Still have 83MB left to go. As long as the 150MB cap gets increased as it naturally should, then I don’t see any problems.

+ Spinout209 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

Only 150MB of storage allowed? Don’t you mean GB, because aren’t most games bigger than 150MB?

+ MafiaBrett on March 9th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

@ 172

Yeah man i wouldn’t worry.. i bet by summer/fall it will probably be increased to 200MB to 300MB probably.

+ xanwhiteknight on March 9th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

*cries*

Oh thank you Sony, I was praying you guys would implement this. You’ve made me heck of a happy PS+ Subscriber.

+ DPsx7 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

When can we start skipping updates? They are mostly useless and I refuse PSN+ because it offers me nothing for the expense. This is the kind of crap that wastes my time or hard drive space and is incentive to modify the console/FW once and for all.

Sony needs to know we want GAMES, not updates and crap we’ll never use. These same mistakes caused me to quit with the PSP and go solely with the DS and 3DS. NGP doesn’t have enough focus on gaming and therefore isn’t good.

+ MafiaBrett on March 9th, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

@ 173

No lmao, its NOT Game Utility Data… this feature is for Game SAVE data which is usually just 1MB at MOST for 1 save.

Fallout 3 saves have been 10 MB before though… >.>

+ Devin93 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

If I buy PS+ now do I get this weeks content as well as this feature?

+ DaNTi3L on March 9th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

awesome i’m glad i have playstation plus

+ TwinDad on March 9th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

@Karen

THank you for the stacking question answer.

Care to give a broader hint as to the “limited time” offer for the 3 months? I don’t get paid until the 15th, however I can use a Credit Card if I must to meet an invisible deadline.

+ Butters360 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:40 pm said:

PlayStation Plus continues to pay for itself. I was very surprised that all my games only came out to 63MB. I can’t wait to see where we’ll be when FW 4.0 is out.

+ NorthernLitez on March 9th, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

Very very cool. Again, Playstation ‘plus’ has been worth the money

+ boneyardweller89 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

I approve! Bring on some more exclusive features soon ok? =D

+ CometsStar on March 9th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

What does this mean for games that are trophy compatible? Will you continue earning your trophies or will this create a glitch for the trophies that you “earn”.

+ Enigma777 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

Wow, this is awesome! I think this singlehandedly makes PS+ worth it and I welcome the peace of mind.

Go Gators!

+ myght on March 9th, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

mERCI !!! VIVE LA PS3 :)

+ Omen_20 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

It seems from your explanation of how it works, on page 1, that this is a manual system. That doesn’t sound correct at all. This should be an auto sync or at least a timed sync. Manually copying a save to the cloud is no more convenient than copying to a memstick or thumb drive. The hardest part about backing up, is remembering to back up. So this doesn’t improve anything.

The service should work like Dropbox, as soon as a save file is updated, it should sync to the cloud. Or it could be a once a day thing, or once every boot up, etc. If it isn’t automated, it isn’t convenient, and not worth paying for.

+ cell989 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

OMG!!!! this is genius pure genius, no more loosing data after a broken PS3!!!! thank you guys for a much needed feature, my PlayStation Plus subscription has been worth every penny since day one.

+ MafiaBrett on March 9th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

@ 186

The reason why it won’t be a auto sync is because of the limited space we have at the moment.

Also some games like Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc… your making like 10-20+ game saves for that one game.

Do you REALLY want to back up every 1 of those saves? I doubt it. You would spend up all 150MB really fast.

+ cell989 on March 9th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

@Omen_20 the big a$$ advantage here, is that even copy protected files can FINALLY be backed up too, cant do that with memory stick

+ megamixer on March 9th, 2011 at 2:10 pm said:

@Sarno1605
“Ummmm? Look at your Saved Data Utility! NOT GAME DATA UTILITY *****! All saves are usually under 10Mb usually way smaller then that…..do some research idiot! You = EPIC FAILURE!!!”

Thank you for the private message. I did not look at the game data utility. As I own 64 PS3 games, I believe I do in fact know where to look for game save files. In any case I’ll post the 1mb+ save files so that you may total them up. In order of save file size:

Afrika: 387mb

Devil May Cry 4 (Network Data): 1.694mb
Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse – Episode 1: 1.683mb
Monkey Island: 1.594mb
Folklore: 1.494mb
Burnout Paradise: 1.479mb
Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle: 1.456mb

Ooooo. Sorry. Looks like I’m not the failure here. But hey, thanks for playing!

+ Georgie85 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

+ Omen_20 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

@ MafiaBrett
I don’t think you get the concept of syncing. You aren’t creating a new individual copy each time, you are writing over it. So if you have a save for RESISTANCE on your machine, and the software is looking at all files in that folder, and that save is updated, it would then get pushed up to the cloud. Then the copy on the server would be overwritten with the new copy. It’s no different than how you save locally. You don’t make a new file every time GTAIV saves, you overwrite it.

So no it auto syncing wouldn’t waste any more space than you manually doing the copying yourself. It would just mean the latest version of your save would always be there. So you wouldnt have to remember to copy your files to the cloud before swapping HDDs, or when going to a friend’s place.

+ rmartinez10 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:29 pm said:

Too bad this doesn’t apply to the sub-accounts. If the PS3 dies, my kids will lose their save data that is copy prohibited, again.

+ Omen_20 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:35 pm said:

@ MafiaBrett
I misread the meaning of what you wrote. I understand what you’re talking about with each game having multiple saves. Even the larger saves that reach around a MB, 150MB will take you pretty far. To be honest also, 150MB is pretty weak. You get 2GB for free from Dropbox. Canonical makes the same offer for UbuntuOne. Microsoft SkyDrive does way more. I think the 150MB will last most gamers for a while. It should definitely be raised to a GB though. Sucks knowing limitations may me made on the useful features, just to make room for features I dont want. I’d rather be given sufficient storage to make this useful, than be given freebie games I never wanted in the first place.

+ RavenSPe on March 9th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

So this is purely for backup purposes? While helpful I wish it were more intuitive and allowed direct save/load from in game (perhaps future games please? I’d like to have my saves on the Cloud 100% of the time) Also, as any real gamer will notice quickly, 150MB will be very limiting for many games.

Perhaps take the suggestion of a previous poster and allow us to purchase more “memory slots” for the account. Hopefully as a one time fee that stays with the account so long as you remain a Plus member.

These simple upgrades will further entice consumers to get and to keep their Plus memberships.

+ Kajax on March 9th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

Great feature, next cross voice chat please

+ dudehere3 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:50 pm said:

This is crap! i can’t play online because of a fw update only 3% of psn users need! good MOVE sony! Its going to take more then 150 mb,60 min game trials,and some half ass discounts to get me on this hole psn plus joke.

+ DPsx7 on March 9th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

And you don’t even get to keep the content when you quit, that’s why I won’t touch it. Who’s going to like saving $2 to ‘rent’ a game? I do not pay extra to play online.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9