PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Online Storage for Game Saves Coming to PlayStation Plus

Susan Panico's Avatar + Posted by Susan Panico on Mar 09, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

Hey everyone – We’ve got an exciting new feature coming exclusively to PlayStation Plus subscribers. Included in the system software update (v3.60) coming tomorrow to PS3, PlayStation Network’s new online storage for game saves feature gives PlayStation Plus subscribers the capability to back up game save data to the cloud. Online storage for game saves is a great way for PlayStation Plus subscribers to ensure that their data files are secure and also for users who wish to access their files from other PS3 systems.

PlayStation Plus Logo White

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

As I mentioned before, online storage for game saves functionality is included automatically for PlayStation Plus subscribers with system software update (v3.60), which will be available on March 10, 2011, and users can access their stored data on the XMB at any time. Additionally, users who save their files to the cloud can access their data on any PS3, using their PSN sign-in ID.

PlayStation Plus subscribers should turn on the auto-download feature to ensure that the update will begin downloading as soon as it’s available, so you can start backing up your game saves right away. If you aren’t already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, be sure to check out our bi-weekly post highlighting the free games, discounts and exciting exclusives we offer, in addition to the upcoming online storage for game saves feature.

Other minor features will also be added via system software update (v3.60). For more information please visit http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ once the update is live.

PAGE 1 7 8 9

+ EvilAngel34 on March 16th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

omg thank god for this lol now i can save my protected save files

+ modchipz on March 17th, 2011 at 12:27 am said:

“I think it’s not enough storage space though. Some games take up several MB per save. For a paid service, 150MB of space is weak in this day and age. Steam gives 1GB of space free, GMail gives 7GB now, the list goes on…

Would’ve made more sense if 150MB was positioned as the free tier, and PS Plus subscribers received 5GB or something.”

-x3sphere of exophase

i think he was right, 150MB is weak in this day.

+ manzoor47 on March 17th, 2011 at 5:04 pm said:

thank you Sony!!! i finally get to backup all my save games. Now, i can upgrade my Hard drive safely.

+ C_O_D_Unknown on March 17th, 2011 at 8:54 pm said:

Does this work with locked saves like Dragon Age Origins?

So for example, if I started to play DA:O in the living room, and then wanted to play in the bedroom, I could with online saves?

Also, do you have to buy “plus” for each username or just for the main user on account. I.E. A family of 4, do I need to purchase 4 plus accounts? One for each user?

Thank you for your response.

+ Hohlraum on March 18th, 2011 at 6:25 am said:

Useless until there is a ‘save all’ feature. One at a time? Jeez. Think a little would you?

+ C_O_D_Unknown on March 18th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

Can I just pay $1.50 for the 150mb storage, instead of joining PSN+. A buck fifty seems like a fair price, it includes: slow upload and download, small storage space, time limit on uploads and downloads and each PSN account has to buy. So yes, a buck fifty per PSN account. Anyone?

+ C_O_D_Unknown on March 18th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

Oh and thats just a one time payment for life.

+ Ithorien on March 18th, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

Aside from the save all feature, it would be a tremendous idea to have an automatic time scheduled very much like auto update to backup all saves on the system. If writing to cloud isn’t limited, offer an option of maybe 1, 6, 12 and 24 hour interval to backup automatically.

I don’t want to have to go through the motions to manually copy my saves after every play session, it’s a little mundane.

+ Kajax on March 20th, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

now cross game voice chat

+ Sum-Mischief on March 22nd, 2011 at 1:37 am said:

Very very happy … I lost all my data once and I said never again. I made sure I backed up my system as often as possible. But , now with the cloud saving … I can do my full HDD back ups less frequent.

+ ohheysean on March 25th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

yayyyy!

+ el_sujeto on March 29th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

I find that the amount of space they give you is to low it should be more cuz i have over 4 years of save files that amount is too low. But its a start.

+ el_sujeto on March 29th, 2011 at 12:08 pm said:

GT5 alone takes a big chunk of space. Let alone the rest of the files.

+ rb2_ph on March 30th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

Help, I want to backup my save games in my USB. However, with the new version (3.60), i can’t find the option to save my games to usb. i only see Online Storage option.

How do I save my saved games into my USB?

Thanks.

+ el_sujeto on March 30th, 2011 at 9:01 am said:

Sorry I just backed up most of my files and still have plenty of space left. I forgot that save files are in KB. But still a little more wouldn’t hurt.

+ Jeep4FUN on March 30th, 2011 at 9:33 pm said:

I just had my first online save experience. I must say wow. This feature has made transferring mine and my wife’s profiles over to my new 320gig console a simple joy. Only problem was solved when I took our players up on the EA net through the Pro Shop in Tiger Woods…10 Golf. This enabled both avatars to be used fully equiped with all the same appearance, abilities, clubs, clothing, and skill levels that we built up while playing on the 40gig machine.

Yes indeed, SONY did it for us again. What an amazing company with amazing people.

+ Shedagilos on March 31st, 2011 at 11:19 pm said:

Not bad Sony, not bad at all.

+ Gunner_229 on April 3rd, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I agree this is an improvement and I may become a plus member because of this. But I have two PS3′s in my house and was thinking of getting a third. There are four members in my house and I don’t want to have a plus membership for each. The kids are the ones that really need to be able to go to any machine and pick up where they left off with their game. Why can PS3′s on the same network sync to each other. PlayStation make it happen already.

+ Chickennn on April 3rd, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

why have I to pay for that? you’re crooks

+ Lucky13X on April 4th, 2011 at 12:00 am said:

It’s very good to see some items that were on that survey come to fruition such as full game trials and online storage.

PAGE 1 7 8 9