Bloodborne

UNCHARTED 3′s Lead Designer on 3D + the New Villainess

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Mar 10, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Like UNCHARTED

As you’ve no doubt seen already, Naughty Dog chose GDC as the place to reveal Nathan Drake’s antagonist for UNCHARTED 3. The calculating Katherine Marlowe is clearly a different type of villain than the brute force Lazarevic or deadly accurate Navarro.

Watch now as U3’s lead designer Richard Lemarchand tells us more about this villainess, as well as the talent behind the role. He goes on to tell us about the positively jaw-dropping implementation of 3D, and how its development pays dividends even to players who don’t yet possess a 3D display.

Did you hear Richard use the word “stereoscopy” in a sentence? It speaks wonders of the English schooling system.

46 Comments

+ polo155 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:03 am said:

Naughty Dog Are great Devs and Code real Good for The Cell Processor, The Power of the Cell PS3!!!

+ Butters360 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Why can’t it be November already?! Thanks Jeff for the news.

+ mywhitenoise on March 10th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Nathan Fillion.

+ REDBLACKWHITE5 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

cant wait till i can start poppin caps on this game

+ jmanxp on March 10th, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

sweet more good news, now for that 3D tv i started saving a while ago so i need 3 more years to save up for one, lol by then the non 3D glasses well be on sale then ill need to save up for another 2 years after that

+ KARAMO on March 10th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

+ Korbei83 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

That Richard Lemarchand, classy fellow.

+ zombie9 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

hows come you only get 2 pairs of glass with 3-D TV What if I have 4-6 people over. Are they supose to watch it with out glasses. and why whould I pay over a $1000 for that.

+ TomHoang on March 10th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

I hope there is a collector’s edition, contrary to my constant whining about every game these days getting a collector’s edition.

+ Alcohog on March 10th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Will be splooge worthy.

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on March 10th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

as long as they don’t add some zombie mode i’m good

+ LordRaoh on March 10th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

so awesome.

sales aside, uncharted is a truly one of the greatest franchises around and still so new really.

my two favorite new franchises have to be uncharted and dead space.

+ station3fever on March 10th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

Drake with a suit on!! scared the crap out of me lol but then he reminds me of Agent 007 :)

+ Axecution on March 10th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

3D

Im so excited, and there’s such a long time. xD

+ scorpio182 on March 10th, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

Makes me want to get a 3d TV just for this game…

Best series for me and this is looking awesome!!!

+ TheGuardianFID on March 10th, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

AWESOMESAUCE!!! 8)

+ Gorvi on March 10th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

I hate to be “that guy” doing the off topic post, but where’s our White Knight Chronicles 2/WKC PSP post? Both games were announced for Europe yesterday, it would make sense that if they’re being localized we’d see them as well. Don’t make us wait too long for an announcement! :)

+ Zinacef on March 10th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

Why spoil the game and make it 3D?

+ that-acmilan-guy on March 10th, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

What the… for a moment there I thought that was Mark Zuckerberg.

+ pickupdoctor on March 10th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

My Checklist:
1. Preorder Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (Check)
2. Purchase 3D TV (Check)
3. Purchase at least 2 sets of 3D Glasses so my Wife can watch Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Movie in 3D (Check)
4. Get special HDMI Cable to actually play it on my 3D TV (Check)
5. Call in Sick on 11-1-11 (in my calendar)
6. Invent Time machine to get me to 11-1-11 (working on it)

+ station3fever on March 10th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

what we needed is autostereoscopy, to bad it’s years away.

+ JoGam on March 10th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Yeah is used that word. LOL. While watching the video I read “Did you hear Richard use sterocopy” and I was thinking huh, then he said it. I laughed out loud.

+ Skater_Ricky on March 10th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Please make a Collectors Edition I can buy. I was willing to play for one on Uncharted 2 hopefully get the chance to for Uncharted 3 :-)

hopefully ill get a 3D TV sometime this year I’d say best time would be Black Friday day after Thanksgiving ;-)

+ Skater_Ricky on March 10th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

pay* oops auto correct on my phone sorry

+ mafia28 on March 10th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

If you guys decide to make a collectors edition i think you should add Drake’s necklace.

+ angelspawn77 on March 10th, 2011 at 1:08 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game to come out, big fan of the series and I’ve bought all the Uncharted things that have come out on psn including skins and even the eye of indra comic which was great. Seriously guys, I hope you guys are planning a collectors edition, don’t do it like with Uncharted 2 that you had to win the collectors edition and that was the only way.

Of course you could always have both, a special one and one available to the public for pre-order because I know im getting it! Can’t wait to hear more news, love how you guys aren’t stingy with the news, any bit of news is great no matter how small.

+ Amherst_Wind on March 10th, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

I don’t get it… stereoscopy is a word, am I missing the joke?

+ danny_beast_1 on March 10th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

I cant wait for this game to come out i hope uncharted portable isn’t to far away from this release date either

+ Delta-16 on March 10th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

would love it if you made these videos work on mobile devices

+ Detective-E on March 10th, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Just announced move support and I’m all yours.

+ wolfzero1 on March 10th, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

can’t wait for this game & I really hope there might be some kind of collector’s edition, please

+ theultimatenub on March 10th, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

this game is awesome

+ twistedfloyd on March 10th, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

Looks great! Looking forward to more updates! Keep it up Sony and Naughty Dog!

+ jacob-813 on March 10th, 2011 at 4:24 pm said:

When will the videos work on IPOD/IPHONES so the PS BLOG APP won’t become obsolete? I mean seriously, I don’t need super hd for my iPod. Although it might be nice.

+ tiff92 on March 10th, 2011 at 4:46 pm said:

Interesting stuff! Can’t Wait, Naughty Dog are amazing, and everyone behind it :D

+ TheBossmx on March 10th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

Uf… I can’t wait. Pero la pregunta que le hago esta noche… JUAY DE RITO?

+ VendettaLion on March 10th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

Every bit of information we receive on this title, makes it harder and harder to wait. I’m sure it will be well worth it.

+ I0Sucgang on March 10th, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

cool stuff but I miss

PS: Live in your world.
Play in ours Δ [] Ο X

now make it happen sony

+ Brameriz on March 10th, 2011 at 7:52 pm said:

Looks good #TeamBON

+ SwoleRN on March 10th, 2011 at 8:58 pm said:

I saw gameplay of Uncharted3 in 3d and holy freakin crap, it blew my socks off!!! I’ve played just about every ps3 3d game and this is the best yet!

+ daxter1100 on March 10th, 2011 at 9:02 pm said:

stop with uncharted 3 already and bring back jak and daxter i mean come on jak and daxter was naughty dogs best game by far

+ dirtyd89 on March 10th, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

I like the new villian.

It’s something unexpected and different.

Glad Naughty Dog is taking some risks with some of the characters.

I’m looking forward to Uncharted 3.

Show me the multiplayer/co op.

Single player I want it to saved for when I play it.

No more spoilers for me.

LOL.

Edit:
Please Sony/Naughty Dog if your listening release a Collector’s Edition for Uncharted 3.

As a fan I want one.

I’ll pay top dollar for it.

Just release it.

Come on gamers let’s tell Naughty Dog we want a collector’s edition to be made.

Ideas:
Uncharted 3: Collector’s Edition
-Game (Obviously.)

-Sound Track.

-Art Book.

-Action Figure Display Model.

-2X Multiplayer for the first week of release.

-PS Home Avatars.

-PS Dynamic Theme. (Not one on PSN Store but a new one something exclusive to the Collector’s Edition.)

etc.

+ Shrapnelblitz on March 11th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

Not fair…it’s like 235 days to go!!
The game looks stunning – love the idea of a totally different villain. Each and every news snippet and trailer is eagerly anticipated but it’s just making the wait harder.

I’d just like to add my vote for a buyable Collector’s Edition and I think the idea (from a previous post) of including a Drake’s Necklace would be awesome.

+ Air_FizzorceBHF on March 14th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

I am SSSOOO ready for U3 to come out! it already looks and sounds amazing!

+ manzoor47 on March 22nd, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

plz Naughty Dog just take my money already ;/ I am dying to play this game.

+ aron2309 on March 29th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

If I could pay 300$ just to get this game for 5 hours right now, I so would.