PS4 - Destiny

Japan Tsunami Appeal On PSN

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Mar 18, 2011 // President & CEO

sunriseblossom

It’s been over a week since the devastating earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, inflicting serious loss of life and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless. The Japanese people, together with support and compassion from the global community, are beginning what will be a long recovery process.

Sony Computer Entertainment’s headquarters are located in Tokyo, and so we’ve heard firsthand of the disaster’s impact from our colleagues and friends. As we here in America watch the tragic events that continue to unfold, you might be left thinking, “Is there any way I can help?”

Sony Group is aiding the recovery through financial contributions and donations of radios, batteries and other equipment that can be used in the relief efforts. Today we’re making it possible for you to contribute directly to the earthquake and tsunami recovery efforts through a medium you’re already quite familiar with – the PlayStation Network.

You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store. With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.

It’s important to note that your contributions will go directly to the American Red Cross – Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Every penny donated will go to the fund, which supports emergency relief and recovery efforts, including deploying personnel, sending relief supplies and providing financial resources.

Many gamers in particular feel a special bond with Japan, even if they’ve never traveled there personally. Its ingenuity and innovation have shaped our industry, and its culture and style have brought a sense of community across the world.

Please join us now in helping the Japanese people during this great time of need. Together we can have a significant impact on the relief process.

For more information on Sony’s support of the relief efforts, visit http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr/groupcsr.html.

+ Reginthorn on March 18th, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

Cool!

+ Jabberwookie2 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

Done! Wish I could give more!

+ Patronaso on March 18th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

Great, I wished you would have approved my idea on blog share days ago. Anyhow, this is an excellent cause and I expect to drop some green later tonight on the PSN. Thanks for being great guys SCEA.

+ wolfzero1 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

I don’t mind helping out for a worthy cause

+ DatBan on March 18th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

Thanks for helping keep this in the lime light Sony; Red Cross donations tend to drop off quickly after a tragedy, and they need continued funds!

+ iTofuMan on March 18th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

Something just seems fishy about this. i think it would be better to just give our money to the actual foundations that help the people of japan than some game company. i mean how will we know 100% of the profits will go to the red cross?

Dont get me wrong i want to help (i have donated a sum of money to the red cross already) but it just seems weird that only now Sony has jump the bandwagon of helping japan.

Jack Tretton's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 19th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

The money does not go to us, it’s going straight to the Red Cross. We don’t take a cut, as mentioned in the post above.

+ LionHeartX83 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

I donated a big one to the Canadian Red Cross. I’m very happy Sony is doing something like this.

+ Atheist4Jee-zuhs on March 18th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

Nice theme, just got it. :)

+ BigBoss712 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

Good idea, im making one.

+ tonydamiani on March 18th, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

Awesome Idea!!! Sony

+ nameless254 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

i got it awsome =)

+ Korbei83 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

@iTofuMan

Go for it. http://www.redcross.org/

Not everyone who wants to help has access to electric funds to facilitate it. Sony has simply opened a portal to offer the option of donating PSN funds from PSN cards or debit cards where available.

I wish more Japanese companies would offer similar options. For instance, I’d donate all 10000 Crysta ($100) on my Square-Enix account to the effort if the option was offered.

+ snake4308 on March 18th, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

I only have a dollar!!!! sad face…

+ KIDamazin on March 18th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

What an awesome idea Sony.

I’ll make a donation asap. =)

+ tasihuzako on March 18th, 2011 at 4:52 pm said:

donated what was left in my account. i shall pick up another card when i get some funds xD

if anyone is wondering, sony already donated $3.6 million to Japan’s relief efforts.

+ iTofuMan on March 18th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

@ Korbei83

Thanks i have already donated though, and i plan on donating more. i may even do it here. it just seems weird with how long Sony took to open this up which is my i think its fishy. i mean since Sony is a Japan brand shouldnt they have been doing this once it hit?

+ the_miyamoto on March 18th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

Great idea for a great cause. I hope Japan has a speedy recovery.

@116
Sony already donated 300 million yen and 30,000 radios to help tsunami relief. They were one of the first to donate, too, so they didn’t just jump on the bandwagon. This is just an additional way that they’re helping, and a way to allow their PS3 users to show support.

+ shades909 on March 18th, 2011 at 5:15 pm said:

I bought a 50$ card to give 50$ and saw that the donation have taxes what the [DELETED] is that ?

Anyway because of that i only donated 25$.

Jack Tretton's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 19th, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

That’s part of a bug in the Store. We will be refunding all taxes to your wallet. Thanks for your donation.

+ Rp4_br on March 18th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

Donated 2$. I hope this little contribuition helps them :)

+ Kodaime on March 18th, 2011 at 5:24 pm said:

+ Pete41608 on March 18th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

Waiting for something on the ps store for the relief fund, read this and immediately did my part and told my friends who dont get on the blog. THIS IS THE BEST THING THE PSN HAS EVER DONE.

+ LUGIEZ on March 18th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

Will do this with for sure, thanks for the opportunity PSN!

+ eddieMX07 on March 18th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

I already donated $100 to the Redcross on Tuesday and it was one of the smartest things I have every done. It felt good, like I was a light in a darkened world. I had to break the silence and give a small hope to the wonderful Japanese people. I definitely donate more when I get the chance.

Now I’m off to recyle tons of paper…

+ thebadnews on March 18th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

Good stuff, donated.

+ Razrsharp on March 18th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

This is a cool and easy way to donate…Good Job Sony.

+ Slythex on March 18th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

Linking to this page to spread the word.

+ spideyal on March 18th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

When I get back to work, I’ll be donating $50 every pay day (every two weeks) to help them out. I’ll definitely do it once for the ARC though thru the PSN. But I’ll be donating locally for the most part.

Glad to see Sony is doing this above the big donation previously directly from Sony. Giving us Playstation fans a way to help.

+ FATHASUN on March 18th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

As soon as I sign in I’m in.

+ ElektroDragon on March 18th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

WHY are you charging TAX on this? That is both illegal and ridiculous! I would have donated more, but I didn’t want to pay tax for nothing. I did not have to pay tax when I donated via globalgiving.org! Also, I don’t need to pay tax in my state when I buy Microsoft Points cards, but I do when I buy Sony PSN cards or when I add funds to my Wallet. That is unfair and unethical, you need to fix your system, Sony!

Jack Tretton's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 19th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

You’re right that it’s a flaw in the system. It’ll be fixed eventually, but in the meantime, know that we will be refunding taxes to any who are charged (it’s only happening to a small percentage of people).

+ VixDiesel on March 18th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

Just donated 5$

+ PatriotEyez27 on March 18th, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

Wish I can help but I have no money in my wallet atm :(

+ DeepEyes7 on March 18th, 2011 at 6:06 pm said:

Great! I’m in!

+ smokey_vols on March 18th, 2011 at 6:10 pm said:

$10 from Tennessee! Feels great to let the PS community come together like this and help out Japan. Even after Japan has recovered the donations to The Red Cross should be left up on PSN to let us donate anytime we want.

+ R2tito11 on March 18th, 2011 at 6:12 pm said:

Great Idea, going to make my donation right now, all my prayers go to Japan and the beautiful people that live there

+ Inofensivo on March 18th, 2011 at 6:19 pm said:

Cool to help one of the Biggest Gaming Countries in The World

+ Mobius2525 on March 18th, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

I just donated hope it helps.

+ Nepraos on March 18th, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

This is a great idea. My contribution will be submitted when I get the chance. My condolences to Japan, especially the families who were directly affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

+ Kirkpad on March 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm said:

I would love to see this option available in Canada if it’s not.

+ Zephram on March 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

Awesome idea!

I also have felt the need to donate, as my thoughts and prayers are with those affected .

(As a side note for Canadians and Sony, it would be nice if the 12% HST could also go to the relief effort, and not into the pockets of our greedy government)

+ Denuq on March 18th, 2011 at 6:30 pm said:

soon as i get paid, i will send some cash up, hopefully morrow

+ Slythex on March 18th, 2011 at 6:31 pm said:

@ 138.

It is. On the Playstation Store.

+ OtakuMakoto on March 18th, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

I’m actually touched by the support Sony opened up to their Playstation 3 owners for the opportunity to aid Japan. A very easy to use and trusted resource that I strongly recommend every owner to participate in. The incentive itself is nice and the ability to donate straight from the Playstation Store is reassuring for those people seeking to offer their support but can’t find a reliable and honest source.

I hope to see this up for several months as I’d like to make continuous donations. And as someone once said, “Every dollar counts!”

+ kirafung on March 18th, 2011 at 6:36 pm said:

Good! The theme is nice and the idea behind it is great.

I have already donated to American Red Cross, but I will do it again to support the idea.

+ TomHoang on March 18th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

I did my part. I get to support two things I love, Japan and PlayStation =)

+ lokoboyy on March 18th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

my prayers go out to everyone in japan after this tragedy. i was shocked and i have also been thinking about the future of sony company after this, but i have faith that sony and everyone in japan will get back on their feet and be back stronger than ever. This idea is good, and makes it simple for everyone to donate something. I hope to see everyone from the PSN community working together to help rebuild the empire that helped us.

+ qwertyuiop357 on March 18th, 2011 at 6:55 pm said:

This seems like an awesome idea! I dunno how much I will donate. I’ll decide at the moment. Nonetheless, I wish the people of Japan a quick recovery from these awful disasters.

How long will this last? I’m not sure when I can get a PSN card. Hopefully soon. I was interested in buying some games, and this just gives me another incentive to get a card soon.

+ RE_Player on March 18th, 2011 at 6:56 pm said:

Just donated $5. Was saving it for some dlc but this is much more important.

+ hush404 on March 18th, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

Will this work with residents in Canada?

+ ARC_Stig on March 18th, 2011 at 7:15 pm said:

I will donate somthing if its still there next month when i get some money. :)

+ Negatype on March 18th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said: