PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Japan Tsunami Appeal On PSN

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Mar 18, 2011 // President & CEO

sunriseblossom

It’s been over a week since the devastating earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, inflicting serious loss of life and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless. The Japanese people, together with support and compassion from the global community, are beginning what will be a long recovery process.

Sony Computer Entertainment’s headquarters are located in Tokyo, and so we’ve heard firsthand of the disaster’s impact from our colleagues and friends. As we here in America watch the tragic events that continue to unfold, you might be left thinking, “Is there any way I can help?”

Sony Group is aiding the recovery through financial contributions and donations of radios, batteries and other equipment that can be used in the relief efforts. Today we’re making it possible for you to contribute directly to the earthquake and tsunami recovery efforts through a medium you’re already quite familiar with – the PlayStation Network.

You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store. With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.

It’s important to note that your contributions will go directly to the American Red Cross – Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Every penny donated will go to the fund, which supports emergency relief and recovery efforts, including deploying personnel, sending relief supplies and providing financial resources.

Many gamers in particular feel a special bond with Japan, even if they’ve never traveled there personally. Its ingenuity and innovation have shaped our industry, and its culture and style have brought a sense of community across the world.

Please join us now in helping the Japanese people during this great time of need. Together we can have a significant impact on the relief process.

For more information on Sony’s support of the relief efforts, visit http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr/groupcsr.html.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ Chuckbait on March 19th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

Good question, rejurg…. Receipt would be nice. I just donated a measly two dollars. 16 cents for tax. Good bless the citizens of Japan.

+ Chuckbait on March 19th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

**God Bless

+ TheTwelve on March 19th, 2011 at 8:05 am said:

I’m all over this.

+ halowars7 on March 19th, 2011 at 8:23 am said:

I would love to donate!

+ RavenSPe on March 19th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

Thank you for making this option available to us. I will tell my friends about this and hopefully together we can all help the people of Japan.

+ EggySong85 on March 19th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

time to go add funds to my wallet! This was one of the best ideas to pop up on Blog.share, I’m thrilled to see it enacted so quickly.

+ Guillemots on March 19th, 2011 at 8:47 am said:

Just Donated with both my EU and US account :-)

+ Hellman on March 19th, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

Fantastic idea Sony I just donated some money.

+ DeathMoJo on March 19th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

I am glad to see Sony putting effort forward to help. I am in the US Military and i know that a few of my friends are stationed over there a few more on their way to assist.

I pray for those over there and their families, my donation is just a small fraction and if my ship gets called upon to go help, i’ll gladly go.

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 19th, 2011 at 9:01 am said:

I hope & pray this is all true, that every penny will go to relief efforts. I know I’m making an appeal to a large faceless corporation but please watch over these donations and make sure it ALL goes to those in need and those who are on the ground. The thought of anyone skimming a single cent off these donations depresses me beyond belief. PLEASE make sure this all goes to where it needs to go.

+ beastbarbour on March 19th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

good job sony, i will most certainely help

+ nv_Los on March 19th, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

Donated, glad i could help

+ Armyless on March 19th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

I am donating this instant. I will donate again as needed as help is needed.

+ Budapesti on March 19th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Thank you for doing this Sony. I’ve already made a donation to the Red Cross, but I think this will encourage many people who probably didn’t know how to help, to get involved and do what they can in the aftermath of this terrible natural disaster.
I think Sony have behaved exceptionally sensitively over this event, and we should applaud them. They don’t always get it right, but this time the business of making money has taken second place to the feelings and needs of a nation.
And to my fellow PS Blog users, please donate what you can. If everyone who comes here donates just $2, it really could make a difference between life and death for someone – perhaps a fellow gamer like yourself. Plus you’ll get not only a cool theme, but a nice warm fuzzy feeling for the rest of the day. (^_^)

+ dragoon_slayer12 on March 19th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

i’ve done my share. hopefully with all the psn users in the world, the “lil” bit that we do makes a huge impact.

+ Butters360 on March 19th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

You guys should really make a banner to put up on the Blog in real-time showing how much money worldwide PSN users donated.

+ Jake20202 on March 19th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

Very, very nice. ^_^

+ danike007 on March 19th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

all i can say is courage to Japan people. ‘Francis Lopes’ from Angola

+ D1RTYRICE on March 19th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

Its great that we can donate through the PSN for Japan. Just donated $10. But I have a big problem with PSN making you fund $5 to the wallet if you want to donate $2. Sony is making $3 off this relief effort. Thats not cool!

+ austinite04 on March 19th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

I like this idea, please release more theme’s with charitable causes in future disaster relief efforts. I’ve already texted a $10 donation on my iphone, and I downloaded this theme for $5.00…. I hope there aren’t any future epic disasters but who’s to say there won’t be?? So, Thank you Sony for finally putting up a Theme with a cause, I would have loved a Haitian Theme after their earthquake disaster as well… This isn’t marketing, it’s just giving me the consumer the option of donating to the Red Cross through a different medium. I would have paid $50 for this theme if I had that money laying around, but I gave what I could..

+ austinite04 on March 19th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

@217,

No, your wrong, your wallet contains money that is in limbo.. Not in Sony’s wallet.. it’s still in your wallet so to speak.. Until you spend it.. The main reason I donated $5.00 was to resolve any such issue.. But no, Sony isn’t making any profit off of you leaving money in your wallet.

+ austinite04 on March 19th, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

@214: I agree I wanna banner showing semi live results… of what we’ve put up…

+ crunchmonkey on March 19th, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

I just made a $50 donation… but I was taxed! That’s really not cool.

Still, I’m glad I could contribute something.

+ Blyskis on March 19th, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

It’s great to see this kind of support, how long will we the option to donate be running until? I need to save up for another PSN card and don’t want to miss the opportunity to contribute to the relief efforts

+ Kirkpad on March 19th, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

Yeah, I got taxed as well. That’s kinda lame. Hopefully it will be returned by the time I want to make purchases on Tuesday.

+ wU-sOLdiEr210 on March 19th, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

good thing to see sony get involved with this relief effort. but i have one compliant. how are you going to charge a tax for a donation? if im donating money that should tax free.

+ Kai_Hiwatari1992 on March 19th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

This is an excellent way to give support to Japan. Great idea sony!!!!
My heart goes out to all those affected by the disaster. I have total faith that Japan will soon recover.
So everyone please donate, every donation regardless how small makes a difference.
I love you Japan!!!!!!!!!!

+ arcadean1 on March 19th, 2011 at 5:23 pm said:

I am glad to finally see a section of the blog cater to the crisis in Japan,and a way to donate as a playstation fan, thanks for listening Playstion! Will make a donation soon.(gotta get me some PSN cards)

+ TheLastNinja- on March 19th, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

Great stuff, Sony! I’ve been wanting to donate for a while.

You should add a feature to the PSN Store that allows us to donate to a charity in any amount we wish. Sometimes people will have like, 20 cents left over after some purchases and can’t really put it to use, allowing us to donate the spare change would be awesome. It’d be better going to a charity rather than just sitting in our virtual wallets. :)

+ Le_Crotale on March 19th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

Perhaps there is an issue with UK account but I cannot get my donation to be processed on any credit card. I get ‘An error has occurred. 80023103′

Any idea what this may be?

Many thanks!

+ Korbei83 on March 19th, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

If you’re upset about the tax, remember that your government has likely already contributed millions of dollars in aid. Just think of it as your personal share.

If your government hasn’t, go rattle their cages about it.

+ dirtybender98 on March 19th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

good job to help them out,add me!

+ Angelshadow_7 on March 19th, 2011 at 7:24 pm said:

DONE! Congrats on the iniciative and the theme its AWESOMETACULAR!!!! I Only wish it would be a Dynamic Theme…but its ULTRA NICE AND GORGEOUS! :D

+ Akfu_TheOriginal on March 19th, 2011 at 7:37 pm said:

Thank you PSN for giving us the opportunity to help those in need. I will continue to send positive thoughts to the people of Japan in this tough time, and this background will be a reminder to do so.

+ Enigma777 on March 19th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

Well, I’ve got $2 sitting in my wallet anyways, so I might as well use them for something good.

+ doctorsub1 on March 19th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

Thank you for influencing our lives in a positive way in the 80′s. I hope my donation can help a family or someone in need now. As a kid growing up I didn’t have a babysitter, I had a NES, I didn’t have a brother, I had a Sega Master System, and lastly in middle school I didn’t have that many friends but I had a PlayStation. Thank you for growing with me.

+ taehyunnie on March 19th, 2011 at 8:54 pm said:

yeah, i’m hoping you can set up a donation with the Canadian red cross. I’m holding back until we can donate as part of canada from canada. thanks.

+ driver4_ on March 19th, 2011 at 9:38 pm said:

Great idea, SONY! I hope all goes well in Japan.

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 19th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

My gosh, if you want to give to a specific thing as the Canadian Red Cross then just do it, don’t wait on Sony!

+ D1RTYRICE on March 19th, 2011 at 10:14 pm said:

@219 actually you’re still wrong. Sony has possession of the $3 in your wallet. Its counted as an earning and thats why its non refundable. What you have is a $2 credit in your wallet and thats why YOU donated $5 to resolve any such issues.

+ ziggurcat on March 19th, 2011 at 10:21 pm said:

@198: as it was stated above you, tax will be refunded to your wallet, so you are not paying tax on the donation. seriously, people… read.

+ Jensen082 on March 19th, 2011 at 10:23 pm said:

Without Japan the gaming industry will not be were is today. My love and prayers go to them

+ ElektroDragon on March 19th, 2011 at 10:59 pm said:

Thank you Sony for listening and addressing the tax problem with the donations. Now if only you has addressed this to begin with, I would have donated more than $2, but I donated in other places as well, so it will have to do.

+ itsmeAlex on March 19th, 2011 at 11:01 pm said:

Even giving just $2 can make a difference :D

+ SLD_SNK on March 19th, 2011 at 11:26 pm said:

It’s great to see the Playstation community coming together for such a great cause! Hopefully more people join in and we can get Japan back on it’s feet and get people the help they need.

+ SPOPS on March 20th, 2011 at 12:21 am said:

I just donated…. I can’t believe the devastation in Japan right now.

+ elementsk8er13 on March 20th, 2011 at 1:23 am said:

Great Idea! Just donated, and I will definitely donate more soon.

+ BLACK_X68 on March 20th, 2011 at 6:54 am said:

This theme has won reputation in Japan.
It is because a design is excellent and very pretty.
And it is a design with Japanese likeness.
I want you to also make a selling point of PS Store of Japan for the assistance to a disaster area.
And I appreciate the kindness of everybody as one of Japanese.
Very very thank you.

+ Ramms on March 20th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

Count me in ! =D

+ Jin_Kusanagi on March 20th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

You have my support =)

“Many gamers in particular feel a special bond with Japan, even if they’ve never traveled there personally.”
Very true.