PS4-The Order

Killzone Universe Video Shows Life Before Killzone 3

Steven Ter Heide's Avatar + Posted by Steven Ter Heide on Mar 28, 2011 // Game Director, Guerrilla Games

We’re happy to present a live action short that takes place before the events of the Killzone games. Some of you may have read the back story on Killzone.com and found out about the origins of the Helghast, the start of the war, etc. We’ve been looking for ways to add a personal touch to this back story. We found a team that was able to transform it into a live action short, which tells the story of two friends from different backgrounds, who are separated and become increasingly alienated from one another.

In the short, we listen in on video communications between the two friends, one on Vekta and one recently exiled to Helghan.

We hope you enjoy this small glimpse into what life was like before the war started in Killzone!

37 Comments

+ Destiny89 on March 28th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

I love Killzone 3! Thanks guys for this amazing game

+ thetinyfarm on March 28th, 2011 at 10:03 am said:

This is awesome. Killzone background story is among most intricate fictional universes on gaming. I know that the KZ titles are about the view and perceptions of common ISA soldiers, but it’s great to see that you guys are investing on showing that there’s more to this war than many think.

+ AguilarX on March 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

not bad. but it would really be better to refresh our killzone history with an HD Killzone one. please sony make this happen!

+ EmoSpray on March 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Wow nice <3

+ Mike0804 on March 28th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Why is there a 200 year discrepancy between the year shown during the scanning (2019) and the year of the transmissions (2219) ?

+ hush404 on March 28th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

…. There’s a better Live Action Killzone project to be found on youtube entitled “Killzone Extraction”

+ DHILIFE on March 28th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Nice, makes me want to go play.

+ neostardust on March 28th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Hope you guys make Killzone 1 In HD someday

+ zombie9 on March 28th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

Internet filters should be illegal. if it wasn’t my PC I chuck it at the wall.

+ Zilas on March 28th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

What #5 said…
2019 – 2219?

+ The_FPS on March 28th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

Nice video. The Helgan story is a sad one :(

but I am also with augilarx, lets see a Killzone HD.

+ Aggie_CEO on March 28th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

wow….just….wow..

+ Lucas_Alb on March 28th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

Wow, This is very nice!

+ MoneyMaker110 on March 28th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

now i feel the need for a mask

+ darkbeto-vzla on March 28th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

I hope more videos like this come in the future :) great work

+ KoToKo890 on March 28th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

ok, that should be killzone’s 4 background, it seems that the isa are really the bad guys, i want a play through a helgast mask, OMG that’ll be freaking awesome!!!!! KILLZONE FTW!!!!

+ The-Jack-Burton on March 28th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

Woa, creepy! Great video, thanks. KZ3 is amazing!

+ Kchow23 on March 28th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

neat..

+ Ninja8827 on March 28th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

its kinda cool to see a backstory for killzone starting to develop beyond the timeline i like it

+ yellowjacket486 on March 28th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

agree with #15 wish you could also play as Helghast that would be awesome. need to put kz1 in hd.

+ manzoor47 on March 28th, 2011 at 12:35 pm said:

wow that was very cool! i really wanna play as Helghast!!!!!!

+ poodude on March 28th, 2011 at 12:49 pm said:

Lovin’ KZ3, and this was a cool idea but I think the acting could have been just a teensy bit better :).

+ KingKong80 on March 28th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

Bring Visari back!!! I want some of those speeches that send shivers down my spine. The ISA are becoming bigger jerks with each passing sequel.

+ halowars7 on March 28th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

Awesome Vid

+ Velzorn on March 28th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

Will you guys make this video available for download in the PSN store???

+ Maverick10 on March 28th, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

Very cool. I love the KZ universe. Good job guys

+ Massive_13 on March 28th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

I like this… You guys would have sold even more if 3-5 of these little videos would have been created leading up to the release of the game. If you can keep a few more of these coming I would appreciate it. Loving the game by the way, and I enjoyed the SP campaign as well.

+ LordRaoh on March 28th, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

more… more… more….

very cool stuff.. reminds me of the viral videos for Resistance 2 which I absolutely loved…

+ juanpipe on March 28th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

We need this kind of backstory in the Killzone games, KZ3 tried, and almost got it right.

Remember to improve the story first, GG! Since the gameplay is already great.

+ somedirtyangel on March 28th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

Would really like to see a Killzone movie! Not some poorly put together B-rated film either. I’m talking JJ Abrams, Michael Bay or Peter Jackson! Someone please do this! lol And also to note, Killzone HD and more Killzone 3 multiplayer maps.

+ igorrocks2 on March 28th, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

1. Guys did you skip the ending wait for credits to end and then you’ll see that it’s not over yet… there is no need to do remakes of 1st Killzone while 4th on its way

2. I heard some rumors that Killzone will get an actual MOVIE and ANIMATION

I don’t Like the MOVIE thing – because actual game tells story by itself well enough and makes it very interesting brigs a lot of questions at some point enjoyable “angryness” you play whole game than skipped credits and forgetting to watch it all and palyig all of it on ELITE sweat as hell it’s hard.. and after seen this dude actually escaping from you when you did beat crap out of him…. at som,e point I was angry but it was good to know that there is no end yet// Please make it for at least 3 more console gen but don’t walk out of the way path chosen

+ xxITS-RADECxx on March 28th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

I WANT THAT RADEC AVATAR, LOOK AT MY NAME

+ Chapulin140 on March 28th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

@neostardust I was just thinking the same thing. I also hope they remake K1 with the new engine.

+ Butters360 on March 28th, 2011 at 7:42 pm said:

That was pretty sweet. I like these live actions takes on video games.

+ the_1st_darkness on March 28th, 2011 at 8:52 pm said:

So this all boiled down to the air they breathe makes them gain a sense of a self centered world after a few months, and death in less than a year? Why not give them air purifier machines and they would most likely lose that toxic endeavor of vengeance? I liked the video, but in my opinion more time should have passed, and it shows that the ISA is monitoring communications, and did nothing but archive the changes that take place which is cruel even if they are at war. Would the hair loss be for the first few generations and not affect the further generations? My only let downs for KZ3 was that it was not in 1080p, and the lack of maps from KZ2.

+ abzdine on March 29th, 2011 at 12:34 am said:

Steven Ter Heide :

Do you guys ever go take a look at the Community messages on Killzone.com ? If not then you should do it as fast as possible cause this game is broken…

This is a BIG Killzone 2 fan talking !!!!

+ GreyLynx on March 29th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

More live action shorts:
1. Jan’s relationship and Luger’s relationship pre-KZ1
2.Hakha Pre-KZ1
3. Hakha and Luger Post KZ liberation leading up to them both receiving news of Jan’s death

Now KZ4 needs something fresher such as a completely new enemy, especially with the end of KZ3