GTAV PS4

Virtua Tennis 4 is Serving Up Exclusive Content for PS3 Tennis Fans

David Kempshall's Avatar + Posted by David Kempshall on Mar 31, 2011 // Brand Manager, Virtua Tennis 4

Firstly let me introduce myself to those of you who don’t know me. My name is David Kempshall and I’m the Brand Manager for Virtua Tennis 4 and have worked on the game since the original version became available in 1999 on arcade machines across the world. This is the first of a series of blogs about Virtua Tennis 4, which is out on May 10th, but I’d like to start with a few words about the big earthquake that hit Japan on March 11.

Everybody over here deeply appreciates your concern and consideration for us. Things have still not gotten back to normal, and areas around Tokyo are suffering from planned outages due to electricity shortages, but we are doing our very best to deliver Virtua Tennis 4 to you.

Hopefully you’ll enjoy the game when it’s released!

Today’s blog is geared up to tell you all about what’s new for Virtua Tennis 4 on the PlayStation 3, there are a host of new features including PlayStation Move compatibility, a brand new World Tour and online centre, plus plenty of others.

However, I’m happy to announce that on the PlayStation 3 VT fans can expect some extra exclusive content not available on other platforms, and today is where we’ll tell you a little bit more about this.

Firstly, the game features legend players for anyone wanting to relive some of tennis’ classic moments. On the PS3 you’ll be able to get your hands on Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pat Rafter, who will be exclusive PS3 players and playable from the moment you load up the game.

Hi-res-render_Edberg_01

Hi-res-render_Becker_01Hi-res-render_Rafter_01

Here are some renders of the players of each player and we also have a really nice 3D screen of each of them so you can take a look at how they’ll appear in the game. To scroll around the 3D screen simply play the video and click and drag your mouse forward and backwards.

Legend players are not the only piece of exclusive content on offer for PS3 gamers, as Virtua Tennis 4 will also feature 2 exclusive Party Games. The first one is a trip back to an old VT classic in the form of the very popular Pin Crusher, where you are challenged to play a game of tenpin bowling serving the ball to try and knock down skittle on the opposite side of the court.

This is playable with control pad only, but for fans of the PlayStation Move there is also an exclusive Party Game called Net Blitz, which challenges people to build up a score by returning balls into different sized nets. The smaller the net the more points it will earn you if you hit it. It’s a very fun experience using the 1:1 PlayStation Move compatibility and is sure to have people in living rooms fighting for the high score as you progress through the 5 levels.

The other thing I’d like to talk about today is a fantastic mini-game we are developing for Home Square. This is due to launch in line with the French Open and has a Space Invaders take on it. Check it out from 22nd May and see if you can get a high enough score to earn our exclusive VT4 personal space and some exciting items with a VT spin.

Check out the videos and screens of both Party Games for a taste of what you can expect. We’ll also be following up in the coming weeks with some more blogs when we have more news and on demos and other areas of the game.

PS3_Pin_CrusherPS3_Net_Blitz

+ I_LOVE_NEW_YORK on March 31st, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

Will there be a demo for the game that has Move support? I played the demo for Top Spin 4 and did not like the Move inclusion at all and I felt it was an afterthought. I feel that if you do release a demo and if the move inclusion is really 1:1 like the games on Sports Champions than this game will be a definite buy for me :)

And hope all of you guys in Japan are doing well…Keep Hope Alive.

David Kempshall's Avatar

+ David Bruno on April 12th, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

That would be great! We’ll all just have to wait and see.

+ kivi95 on March 31st, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

Will Robin Söderling be in the game? He wasn’t included in Top Spin 4 so i hope he is in VT4.

+ MRGamer01 on March 31st, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Tennis Bowling? Why not right? Looks like it could be a funny time.

+ kivi95 on March 31st, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

Og and will their be any music or in-game crowd in the mini-games? Just sounds very quiet.

+ VectorRaven on March 31st, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

I’m really thinking on getting this. Hope the move implementation is on point. Gives so much more to the game.
God bless you Mie Kumagai and the great nation of Japan. You, your country and your countrymen have been in my prayers.

+ Dragun619 on March 31st, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

Yeah, Will in-game music be available? The mini game videos are pretty silent. :/ Maybe adding some music would be good. Other than that, it’s looking pretty good especially for PS3 owners.

+ SmooshyKing on March 31st, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

To me, this thing lives or dies based on MOVE functionality. MOVE implementation in Top Spin 4 was a joke, and as a result, it flopped in the eys of PS3 owners.

I realize that developers are trying to make a game that is consistent across multiple platforms, but if you’re going to have MOVE support: DO IT RIGHT.

It can’t be a tacked on feature. It has to be central to the way the game plays.

David Kempshall's Avatar

+ David Bruno on April 12th, 2011 at 6:25 pm said:

I think that PS3 owners will be pleasantly surprised to know that the PlayStation Move support for VirtuaTennis 4 is like buttah’. Deliciously smooth buttah’. :)

+ TallCrowe on March 31st, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

I feel this game would compliment Infinite Jest somehow.

+ Mattsta001 on March 31st, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

Think it should be pointed out on the Euro blog the Sega rep said career mode and online will not be playable using Move, just exhibition games and mini games. So really the promoted Move functionality is a bit misleading. Minus points for SEGA and Sony for taking a game that could showcase Move and instead making it redundant.

+ ElektroDragon on March 31st, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

I love Tennis games. They are like Call of Duty fot me.

+ scorpio182 on March 31st, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

I love Tennis games also but since VT on the Dreamcast there hasn’t been any that are really worth it.

Please release a demo with move support so I can decide. Hopefully it’s not like the move implementation in Topspin 4 because that was horrible.

Back to work…

+ backbreaker65 on March 31st, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

That’s cool and all, but will this game support true 1:1 swinging? not that BS in Top Spin were they still having you pushing buttons to perform certain types of swings. We know it could be done, because Sports Champion Table Tennis does it flawlessly. I don’t want to push a button to perform a slice shot or a smash my motion should determine that.

I also understand that the move is used for exhibition and some other modes but not for career modes.

David Kempshall's Avatar

+ David Bruno on April 12th, 2011 at 6:38 pm said:

The development team has gone above and beyond to ensure that this is the definitive Tennis game for use with the PlayStation Move controller. The way you hold and swing the Move controller will have a direct effect on the ball’s trajectory and spin. You can even twist your wrist as you hit the ball to add a little English to it too.

Oh, and there is no button input from the Move controller required to play a match. Well, there is to get the PS3 powered up and load the game, but you know what I mean. ;)

We hope you pick it up and that you thoroughly enjoy the game.

+ Gideon on March 31st, 2011 at 2:52 pm said:

Weird. I like the idea of combining Tennis and Bowling. Glad to hear they are producing content for Home. I assume for NA Home, but it says Home ‘Square’… not Central. Isn’t Home Square the name for the EU space?

+ glody on April 1st, 2011 at 6:16 am said:

These stupid minigames are the ba$tardization of the tennis genre. No wonder tennis games cant be taken seriously. Give me a tennis game thats no frills balls to the wall T E N N I S. Hardcore stuff, not fluffy panda bear bs.

David Kempshall's Avatar

+ David Bruno on April 12th, 2011 at 6:32 pm said:

I wouldn’t necessarily think of them so much as mini games…try thinking of them as indirect tutorials. While fun, they really do teach you offensive and defensive skills as well as how to properly and effectively control your character.

I definitely encourage you to give the game a shot. In fact, we have PS3-exclusive demos hitting soon:

Enjoy! :)

+ daabulls on April 1st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

I love Pin Crusher. So addicting. Hope this game is an improvement from VT3, which was fun.

+ SpyDudeFX on April 1st, 2011 at 6:30 pm said:

PS Home event sounds great, any Home related preorder offers?

David Kempshall's Avatar

+ David Bruno on April 12th, 2011 at 6:41 pm said:

Thank you to all for voicing your opinions, asking great questions and participating on the Sony Blog. I definitely encourage it and love to read what everyone has to say.

With that said here is the latest VT4 post: