Bloodborne

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes Has Puzzles, Battles, Critter Crunch Connections

Nathan Vella's Avatar + Posted by Nathan Vella on Apr 04, 2011 // Co-founder and President, Capybara Games

As you in-the-know PSN bloggers realize, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is our HD love letter to the original game that we released in 2009 to acclaim and awards. It’s not often that you get the chance to remake your own game, so we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bring this gem to a whole new audience: you guys! By now most people know about Clash of Heroes’ engrossing campaign mode, its innovative puzzle-strategy gameplay, and its tense turn-based battles. But what few realize is that those battles are even better when your facing off against your friends (or some random stranger who has an ass-whupping coming to him). So that’s why Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is dropping with full local and online multiplayer, in either 1v1 or 2v2 flavours. Not content to simply juice up the multiplayer mode and port the game over, we decided to redo the game from scratch with all new 2D HD art, hand-drawn by the same talented crew of artists that brought you the lush visuals of Critter Crunch. Puuuurtyyy!

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3 (PSN) - Battle

Now you’re up to speed on why Clash is jumping from handheld to console, but what’s it actually about? There’s two core components to Might & Magic Clash of Heroes: Battles and Adventure. Let’s take a bit of time to dive into each one. And what better way to do this than through a special video made just for PlayStation.Blog readers…

Battle gameplay is the heart and soul of the Clash of Heroes experience, combining turn-based strategy and puzzle gaming. In Clash of Heroes, you can grab units from the end of each column, and place them at the back of any new column – just like how you moved critters around with Biggs’ tongue in Critter Crunch! Go on the offensive by matching three of the same units vertically, or build defensive walls by matching three (or more) of the same units horizontally. That’s the meat of the battle system, but trust me, there’s tons of gravy. Rarer and more powerful units get added to the mix, bringing with them special attacks and abilities. Also in your magical toolbox of magic are Hero Spells, your hero’s special attacks that have different attributes, and when triggered at strategic times, can turn the tide of a battle.

Clash of Heroes may have puzzle roots, but players will need to start thinking ahead, watching their opponents, and formulating a strategy if they hope to stay alive on the battlefield–all while keeping their puzzle-y eyes sharpened for potential combos!

Battle may be the guts of Clash of Heroes, but it’s got some mean adventuring as well.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes for PS3 (PSN) - Adventure

Clash of Heroes takes place across the varied lands of Ashan, and over the course of five campaigns, you’ll take five distinct young characters and mold them into heroes through the heat of battle. Lots of battles! While adventuring, you’ll meet tons of kooky characters, find chests full of loot and wind up facing off against enemies of all kinds, leveling up your hero in the process. You can power through the game’s main quests, or choose to stop along the way to take optional side-quests, or make some extra coin bounty hunting, or even solve some Critter Crunch-style puzzle-mode battles!

Well, that’s enough blabbering for one post. In case you can’t tell, we at Capy are ultra-excited to unleash Clash of Heroes, and hopefully we’ll be back again soon to continue yelling at you over the internet about how proud we are of the game.

See you April 12th folks!

+ Sneeches on April 4th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

looks interesting, price?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 6:46 pm said:

It’s going to be $15. If it’s interesting, just grab a demo and give it a shot!

+ Jon_Mclane on April 4th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

Finally! It’s almost here!

+ MabsterB on April 4th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

M&M is back!

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

Woohoo! We’re ultra-excited!

+ LarryFabulous on April 4th, 2011 at 5:57 pm said:

Loved it on NDS, looking forward to console gameplay and multiplayer! What’s the price?

+ Heavenly_king on April 4th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but I really hope Sony crushes the hackers that screw with their websites earlier.

GO SONY!!!

+ mikedo2007 on April 4th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

@5: those so-called group, Anonymous. These group attack Sony but not Microsoft (which I believe had a anti-hacking stance on the 360). Talk about double standard.

Back on topic: I’m excited for this game. It’s like JRPG, are there any plan for this game to go to Japan. I think the Japanese players would probably be appeal by this game.

+ TheTwelve on April 4th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

April 12th is my birthday and this is my kind of game….how appropriate.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

We timed it just for you!

+ Zezzler on April 4th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

In a completely unrelated note, when will Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery EP be hitting the iPhone? I am REALLY looking forward to it, especially because of the stellar reviews from Dtoid and IGN.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

It should be out later this month!

+ FunkyTable on April 4th, 2011 at 7:20 pm said:

Is this game still in 720P.

Man, the budget is lite, but I am really excited for this title. Critter Crunch is the only game I ever went out of my way to get 100% of the trophies. It’s one of my favorite games of this generation. So I am very excited for this one.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 7:27 pm said:

Yep, 720p it is.

Thanks for the Critter Crunch love – awesome that you 100%’ed it!

+ CrashSpyro on April 4th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

Already beat this on the DS and I’m looking forward to beating it again in HD.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 4th, 2011 at 7:28 pm said:

If you beat it, you should hop online when it comes out and CRUSH ALL THE NEWBIES.

Or take us on ;)

+ pelagato24 on April 4th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

I love critter crunch so much.. keep the good work at capybara!!

+ Kamino_3 on April 4th, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

Definitely not my type of game buuuuttttt, that video did seem pleasing…can’t wait to give it a try!
And critter crunch was a great PSN title. I wouldn’t of played it if it wasn’t for PS+!! (thank you)

+ Korbei83 on April 5th, 2011 at 3:59 am said:

At LAST!

Listen Capy, I’ll just give you my Credit Card number and you just keep it coming.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 5th, 2011 at 6:30 am said:

Deal. I expect an email shortly…

+ guitain on April 5th, 2011 at 5:05 am said:

The art is slick! .. Not really a fan of turn-based, but if you demo me up, I might become one … :D

D3m0 pl0x?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 5th, 2011 at 6:30 am said:

There will indeed be a demo. You shall be demo’d up.

+ WoundedUnderwear on April 5th, 2011 at 5:49 am said:

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!! Does anyone use that word anymore. :)~

Anyway, I can’t wait for this game. I love Might & Magic games.

+ XMbeaner on April 5th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

CAN’t WAIT! I don’t have a DS and this is probably going to be PSN GOTY.

+ ABRipperXX on April 5th, 2011 at 7:41 am said:

I love the art style in all your guys games. I can’t wait to get M&M: HD! Is there any chance Critter Crunch will go on sale that week to?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 5th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

No Critter Crunch sale that week – the focus is on Clash of Heroes!

Thanks for the art style love. The Capy art team works their butts off to make pretty things for your HDTV!

+ Moosehole on April 5th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

Anything Capy makes I buy. End of story.

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 6th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

And we love you for it :)

+ shyguyNC on April 5th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

<3 Critter Crunch, will have to check this out …

+ Ben7072 on April 5th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

I bought this recently on the DS (Somehow found a copy of it new at Target – a rarity for DS games older than about four months that aren’t published by Nintendo), and I couldn’t believe I waited so long to play it! It’s definitely one of the best games on the DS. And I own a lot of DS games (about 70)!

I’m stoked to play it again; HD remake with trophies?! Sign me up!

Any chance this game will have a platinum trophy? The campaign took me about 20 hours… I think it’s worth it!

Thanks for always making your games so darn good-looking. Always a pleasure to play, and always a pleasure to look at.

+ Ben7072 on April 5th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

addendum:

I really appreciate what you guys did with this game. You could have made it just a really awesome puzzle game, but you went so far above and beyond. Being able to level-up the characters, learning new skills, the story driven campaign… it’s a full-fledged RPG as far as I’m concerned. I can’t wait to play it again next week.

I don’t have the means to play the Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery EP (don’t have any iOS platforms), but I think it looks great as always. Any hints as to what’s next for Capybara after this comes out?

Nathan Vella's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on April 6th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

No platinum trophy, sorry. We wanted to, but alas it didn’t materialize.

Don’t forget to hop online and play some 1v1 or 2v2. I think the battle system really shines when you play against friends or other interweb foes.

What’s next for Capy after Clash… More games for you guys of course!

+ Basscar12 on April 12th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

So where is it? Is it not up yet, because I do not see it for purchase.