PS4-The Order

Did you want those 7 million songs for here or to go?

Brandon Stander's Avatar + Posted by Brandon Stander on Apr 07, 2011 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Network

Good news PSP owners, beginning April 14, those of you with PlayStation Network IDs will be able to access millions of songs wherever you go with“Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity,” the new, cloud-based, digital music service, which lets music lovers listen to millions of songs and easily discover new music from major and independent labels from around the world*. With Music Unlimited on PSN, users can enjoy their favorites songs in the living room through the PS3 and then access the same music on their PSPs.

Music Unlimited gives PlayStation Portable users the music they want, when they want it on-the-go with instant streaming access to a catalogue of over seven million songs on any PC or laptop, as well as a variety of Sony devices, including Sony’s 2010 and 2011 models of network-enabled BRAVIA TVs, Blu-Ray Disc players, Blu-Ray Disc Home Theatre systems, as well as PlayStation 3, VAIO laptops, and now the PlayStation Portable. PSP owners can also enjoy a common and synchronized music experience on their PS3 systems as well as PCs and other network-enabled Sony devices without the need to manage or transfer music files.

By studying users’ listening habits and incorporating their preferences, “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” delivers dozens of personalized music channels uniquely tailored to their tastes.

The basic service offers commercial-free, uninterrupted music across a variety of channels and genres and provide instant feedback on each song to ensure that the service learns your music preferences and provides recommendations based on your personal tastes. The Premium service takes it one step further with access to premium music channels, and the ability to search the entire music database, play songs on demand and create custom playlists.

Check out the service demo from our February 17 post to learn more, and remember to download the PSP and Media Go firmware update 6.37 to have instant access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity. You can also try out the Premium service for free for 30-days, check www.qmusic.com for more information.

*Currently accessible on PSP handheld entertainment systems in WiFi network environment.

53 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Stoffinator on April 7th, 2011 at 4:58 pm said:

I just want to know when is it coming to Canada? I keep hearing about it, but like most things, it takes forever or never shows up.

+ Enforcer_X on April 7th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

Let me upload my own music like Amazon Cloud and i’ll come back.
I tried the premium package and cancelled it less than 15 minutes later.
The music scanner of my library is a joke, couldn’t/wouldn’t add complete albums even if they were a Sony artist.
Plus I have rare and local artists in my collection that would NEVER be added to the library by Sony.
The commercial free streaming feature is nice but hardly worth it alone.

It’s sad a service as nice looking and feature rich as this has its legs taken from under it.

+ PatriotEyez27 on April 7th, 2011 at 5:12 pm said:

Canada please?

+ perrandy on April 7th, 2011 at 5:15 pm said:

att: i cant seem to log on with my chrome browser.it says that the site is under maintenance.any clue as to why this is happening to me? thanks

+ perrandy on April 7th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

nevermind i just logged in with my chrome browser…

+ Jim777 on April 7th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

Cool but lets face it who is going to be using their PSP as a music listening device? Most people have their phones or ipods for that. And while this service beats buying tons of music on iTunes its not terribly useful if it requires constant WiFi.

Cool non the less

+ that-acmilan-guy on April 7th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

I would have rated more than 1 if the music was playing some old school heavy metal :\ \m/

+ ShibaTaro on April 7th, 2011 at 5:25 pm said:

Very nice service. Any plans to bring it to Japan?

+ thebadnews on April 7th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

So… https://music.qriocity.com/ not available in Canada yet? Disappointing because this seems neat. Will Canada be supported by NGP launch?

+ Dosx001 on April 7th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

thats what i wanted portable but now i want the PSPgo need something small 2 run with my PSP3000 will fall out of my pocket

+ strider367 on April 7th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

Not likely lol…

+ sugarfree98 on April 7th, 2011 at 6:05 pm said:

Dang,about time.

+ Zvarri on April 7th, 2011 at 6:06 pm said:

Canada. Please.

I know our licensing is more difficult, but don’t miss out on 30,000,000 potential subscribers. If you bring it, we will come (with money).

+ brolol07 on April 7th, 2011 at 6:06 pm said:

This is cool! I have a question for the people who are creating the PSP version of this. Can you synch up your library that you created on Qriocity so that it is more portable andu does not have to run of WiFi so that I can take my music everywhere? I am not always going to be by a WiFi hotspot and my PSPgo battery will be shot after 2 hours of being on WiFi. If not, I am going to get the NGP 3g network, hopefully the NGP battery will last more than 2hrs running off of 3g so I can listen to my music on the road.

+ hush404 on April 7th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

Ohhh…. Right… forgot that Canada doesn’t matter. My bad. >_>

+ altrodesi on April 7th, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

This is great I have psp and ps3…i already am using the 30 day trial …its a great service….but when will the ps3 be able to allow its new apps a multitask function….like i want to use qriocity and look at pictures….or leave the app and come back without it having to load again…like the ipad works.

+ Justp94 on April 7th, 2011 at 6:35 pm said:

This Music Unlimited is a #FAIL
Oh, the Basic is $3.99… smh. It should be FREE with only certain amount of songs available so we could try out the service, without wasting $4 of our PSN Money.

+ Maurisio on April 7th, 2011 at 6:40 pm said:

Nice but any word on an app for my android phone…..or the video service that has relations with this.

+ Mr_Berger on April 7th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

@Jim777
I use my PSP as music listening device, and I know many others who also do this.

But I’m perfectly fine with the free Interernet Radio they already provide us and with the music I already can download for free.
But I think their should be a free version with only the tracks available.
Question: Would I have to pay this money monthly to have Qriosity?

+ DDavidian on April 7th, 2011 at 6:52 pm said:

I’m disappointed with this service. First of all, you can’t create playlists on the PS3, you have to use you PC. Now, if you log in your PC you automatically get disconnected from the PS3, therefor I can’t even share the service with my family in the same household.

Now the service is finally coming to the PSP, “Music Unlimited gives PlayStation Portable users the music they want, when they want it on-the-go”. That sounds like awesome news but it’s just misleading if you need a WiFi network, you can’t really take the music “wherever you go”, I can’t even go to the park.

I’m going to cancel my subscription.

+ DuffBeerLight on April 7th, 2011 at 7:20 pm said:

it would be nice if we have something like last fm how come we have to pay for everything on the ps3

+ DuffBeerLight on April 7th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

and i have a hevy rain avator what the hell is this

+ fuzzyclutter on April 7th, 2011 at 7:22 pm said:

No Metallica ??? seriosly ??? I like the service , but dang …” sorry , song not found ” happens way to much right now perhaps in the future i will resubscribe .

+ GoodFella2487 on April 7th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

This is awesome, like Pandora on PS3! Gimmie!

+ Axecution on April 7th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

When’s it coming to Canada?

Lawl just kidding. xD Totally understandable why it wouldn’t come to Canada but it’s obviously a bit of a bummer. Hopefully the NGP’ll have something similar that works off of 3G. :D

+ polo155 on April 7th, 2011 at 7:41 pm said:

Yes Qriocity is Monthly for Both But Premium you have FULL acess to their Library where as Basic is not.

I used my PSP Go as My Everything, no iPods or NOTHING, It was even my mobile as SKYPE is my main phone number for like 4 years easy, NYC Wi-FIi is GOOD lol.. It got stolen so now im waiting for the NGP NGP NGP NGP NGP w/3G so basically no mobile or mobile but soon enough.

I got the Qriocity when it cam out and its still going strong on my PS3, cant wait to rock it with the NGP and i hope the NGP has SKYP PRETTY PLEASEEEEE sp i can have my home phone number in my pocket like with my 32Gb PSP Go did!

polo155

+ engulfaphobic on April 7th, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

What TV is that?!

+ smokey_vols on April 7th, 2011 at 8:11 pm said:

A nice service, if only it was able to detect my itunes songs and add them to my library then I would resubscribe. Also it’s in desperate need of adding music by Bush, I wasn’t able to find anything by them.

+ GGCAN on April 7th, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

Yes, Canada please and I will subscribe for sure.

+ Link01 on April 7th, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

Now, if you guys would only make a basic version free for PLUS people… I’d use it.

+ kingotnw on April 7th, 2011 at 9:10 pm said:

How about an iPhone app for this as well. I am signed up for the triial and think its alright… If I could get it on my phone for the car, I would sub in a heart beat.

+ de_family on April 7th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

To all our Canadian friends – You’re not missing anything. It did not recognize any of the 13K songs I have on my PS3, and the pre-programed songs on the ‘channels’ are lame.

I don’t know why anybody would pay $10 a month for this when they can just route Pandora through the browser.

+ fuzzyclutter on April 7th, 2011 at 9:59 pm said:

last .fmand pandoa is ad supported .

+ TheTwelve on April 7th, 2011 at 10:00 pm said:

YAY. Love this service very much —- has added a much needed dimension to my PS3.

+ fuzzyclutter on April 7th, 2011 at 10:09 pm said:

of course it did not upload from your PS3 , they were pretty clear when they said your needed a PC to upload … also Songs without proper metatags will not be uploaded , so forget about songs recieved from file sharing services .

+ vza004 on April 8th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

Any Japanese music??

+ Wolf26pack on April 8th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

I tried the 30-day free trial on my PS3 and can say I was mighty impressed, but I like many others can’t afford so many amenities. If the premium service was added as part of PS+ I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I would have a reason to subscribe and would do so immediately. I know their is no way in hell Sony is going to add this to PS+ but I’m putting the idea out there, maybe my suggestion will be considered by Sony. I can only hope you do Sony :-)

+ cmargary on April 8th, 2011 at 2:02 am said:

I have to use a credit card and I can’t use psn wallet so isn’t for me. With the ngp i will find it usefull but without 3g and always in wifi meh…. Like the service it’s really great but it will be more great with better songs and to pay with psn wallet (I’m puertorrican and you can’t accept my credit card)

+ VenomUK on April 8th, 2011 at 2:04 am said:

Brandon Why diversify the brand and give it a different name? Why not just call it PlayStation music?

+ angelspawn77 on April 8th, 2011 at 3:11 am said:

@22

Pandora on the ps3? you do realize that you can just use your browser and go to pandora on it right? Not to mention Pandora is free. Seriously Sony, this should be free, it’s pretty useless if you need constant wifi, so I would say you need a free music service like pandora, who cares if there are ads, just give us a free music service.

+ k1ngsnak3 on April 8th, 2011 at 5:40 am said:

I signed up for this over the weekend and love it. I’ve uploaded about 2K songs so far to their cloud server, let alone going gaga over the selection of tunes. Using this via the PS3 and interweb has been amazing – no lag and perfect sound! As for the PSP, yeah, I’ll also be using that. While traveling for work, this is going to be handier than lugging around a laptop.

+ Enforcer_X on April 8th, 2011 at 5:58 am said:

@24 engulfaphobic
They are either XBR4 or most likely XBR5 Sony BRAVIA’s
the middle one looks like the KDL-52XBR5, they are now discontinued and very hard to find.
The XBR-52HX909 is the latest and greatest from Sony until the HX929 hits this year.

Hope that helps.

+ antonio2646 on April 8th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

This is great! ive been dieing to know when its going be out!

+ reson8er on April 8th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

I subscribe, and love the service, however I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE an iOS app that allows me to listen to my music on the go. I take my PSP everywhere, but do not use it for anything else besides games.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 8th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

oops meant to hit ctrl c not ctrl v. ohwell.

+ XMbeaner on April 8th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

People still listen to music? Why? Podcasts are the future of audio. Why would you waste your time on music?

+ jgrizzle358 on April 8th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

personally i can’t see why anyone would pay for music they can just get for free on youtube or tigow

+ jgrizzle358 on April 8th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

even buying CDs/mp3s is ultimately cheaper.

+ saintaqua on April 8th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

It’s just too expensive, even with all it’s awesomeness.
Subscribing to + and Netflix takes all my extra money as it is.
Maybe you could bundle the subscription cost in with + somehow?

+ GUNBEHINDTHESUN on April 9th, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

Yeah this is just too expensive. There are a ton of other services that let you play music from the cloud on more platforms. You guys need to get real with reality. For the sake of all of us with good sense, please!

PAGE 1 2