PS4 - Transistor

See SOCOM 4’s Benefaction: How to Beat a Level Without Firing a Shot

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Apr 11, 2011 // Senior Social Media Specialist

With SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals just a week away from launch and hundreds of thousands of gamers gleefully sneaking and shooting in the SOCOM 4 Open Multiplayer Beta, we wanted to debut a new campaign chapter exclusively on the PlayStation.Blog. In the single-player chapter Benefaction, team SOCOM is still unraveling the true scope of the threat to the world economy. The level winds through a dense jungle, then culminates in a large-scale beach ambush as enemy tanks and equipment are unloaded. To win, you have to fend off waves of enemy troops while targeting the tanks with air strikes. Not an easy battle!

SOCOM 4: BenefactionSOCOM 4: Benefaction

SOCOM 4 supports a wide range of play styles. As the SOCOM 4 squad leader, you can take a number of different approaches — from directly leading your squad into battle to silently directing their actions from the shadows and everything in-between. To properly showcase this exclusive first look at Benefaction, Sid and Jeff took radically different approaches to finishing the level. Sid kept a low profile but did most of the dirty work himself, leaving his squad to provide suppressive fire. Jeff relied on squad commands and managed to complete the whole chapter without firing a single shot.

Watch the video above and let us know what you think of Benefaction’s epic beach shootout, and how you plan to approach combat when SOCOM 4 hits PS3 on April 19th.

PAGE 1 2

+ SLUG on April 11th, 2011 at 7:21 am said:

Can’t wait for the 19th

+ MARLLOW-X on April 11th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

This brought be back to my good old PS2 days. Proof that all military shooters don’t have to be the same.

+ MARLLOW-X on April 11th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

me not be

+ XMbeaner on April 11th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

If it move is shoot it no questions asked.

+ marlyt on April 11th, 2011 at 7:33 am said:

I’m stilln the fence with this game. The campaign is looking better than mp. On the beta I can’t get a feel for what’s going on around me.

#4
“If it move is shoot it no questions asked.”

Huh?

+ Shinmigami on April 11th, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

WINNING!!!!!

+ mcbuttz78 on April 11th, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

Jeff is pretty good. didnt fire a shot and beat a whole socom level. did you play socom 1 and socom 2 . ?

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on April 11th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

Jeff has a radically different strategy than I do — I like to get my hands dirty :)

+ erick_34 on April 11th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

Hummm i not going to see the video because if isee the video i would know part of the game… maybe a little lol

Can’t wait for Socom 4

^_^

+ Trioptical on April 11th, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

Fun video.

+ RichardG22 on April 11th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to get my hands on it!!
(Have been playing the BETA for over a week now and it’s just fantastic! Imagine the end product)

+ LUGIEZ on April 11th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

Nice job guys, I would probably have my squad tackle most of the action, but I’ll be leading from the front and keeping an eye on things.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on April 11th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

i hope there is DEMOLITION and ESCORT ..if not im going to be VERY DISAPPOINTED! >:[ Besides that..this game is pretty good..takes some time to get use to..and it might just be me but i think there is just too much stuf on the screen when i play..like the name locators the names..the location of the missions..its just alil too much blocking the screen but thats just MY OPINION. Also i HOPE and PRAY there’s LOBBY’s that we can have our FRIENDS join so we can CHAT and JOIN GAMES TOGETHER! This is one of the reasons SOCOM franchise became very popular and SUCCESSFUL ..PLEASE dont disappoint us AGAIN ZIPPER >:I

+ Razor_1981 on April 11th, 2011 at 8:23 am said:

“hundreds of thousands of gamers gleefully sneaking and shooting in the SOCOM 4 Open Multiplayer Beta”

Leader-boards suggest that there is only 100k people playing..

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on April 11th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

There are definitely more than 100,000 people who played the beta, but our leaderboards are intentionally capped to the top 100,000.

+ Inofensivo on April 11th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

Well, at least is a SOCOM tittle , that better that Any Modern Shooter in the Market

+ bowman151 on April 11th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

I’m really looking forward to the Single Player and Co-op missions. The multiplayer beta seemed a little more chaotic than I hoped for.

+ aro52 on April 11th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

@13

And we’re not all “gleeful”. Sony needs to take a stroll through the Beta Forums over on SOCOM.com.

+ NO_FEAR on April 11th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

get sum

gg

+ LordRaoh on April 11th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

What are the chances of future releases of SOCOM using the PlayStation eye in a more involved method for giving commands.

For instance, holding my fist in the air signals my squad to hold position. Wave it around in a circular motion above my head and it signals the squad to rally to my position. etc etc etc..

Looking forward to getting my hands on the full release. Although I’m hoping for a quick release on the patches that were mentioned. I’m not a big fan of having to relearn the game because the patches didn’t make the deadline in time.

+ LordRaoh on April 11th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

In addition, Sadly I still think Sony (and maybe even zipper) still undervalues the power of the SOCOM franchise.

Due to the mess that was confrontation and the close release date of socom 4 beta and the official release with upcoming patches, I hope everyone is aware that if socom 4 fails at launch, this will be the last socom for the fans. You will no longer be able to count on guaranteed sales from us hardcore socom fans.

Also it’s kind of silly that on the 19th of April I have to choose to play socom 4 which is one of my favorite franchises, Portal 2 which i’m interested in seeing not only a continuation of the game but how much work valve put into the ps3 version and playing as kratos in mortal kombat. all on the same day. Who is in charge of release dates? Fire that person please.

I pre ordered my copy and i do enjoy the game but the release date, patches etc, lack of a party system etc are a bit worrisome.

Still and all, good luck. I wish the franchise much success.

+ Ama_Daoes on April 11th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

OMG this looks so good but I only have 70$ and I want Patapon 3 as well!!!!! I guess I will have to sell one of my 3rd party titles lol.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 11th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

one word: BOIIIIIING

+ jabawokee on April 11th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Can’t wait for coop cuz online too chaotic for my taste. Lol. But graphics and gameplay feel so right so far on the beta

+ jabawokee on April 11th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

Deer Zipper I hope its alot better than confrontaion because I don’t want to regret getting socom 4 over mortal kombat.

+ Despair-Amit on April 11th, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

woi Jeff, entire level without “popping caps” :)

+ k1llabeastie on April 11th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

I never played Socom before, is this a game you can just hop into?

+ Lupin-Haf on April 11th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

What’s the point of marking your targets when you can just pull the trigger yourself?

+ MarinoBrea on April 11th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

@26

You can be doing multiple things at the same time, you mark the targets and leave the gunfire to your mates while you search a tent , disable a bomb or call for an air strike, for example.

+ esko on April 11th, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

Great video guys can’t wait to get my hands on the game.
I like the way Jeff played the game.

+ MostHated273 on April 11th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

Socom is great, THANKS ZIPPER for taking the game to another level. I’MA SOCOM BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

+ rebeljd on April 11th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

There are a lot of gamer responses on here with major typos, what gives? SOCOM 4 looks like a great “game” but it also looks like it lacks a whole lot on the “over the top” experience. It doesn’t have my attention but the sales to this game will. Not every game needs to be supported by every gamer, though it feels like Sony assumes every Playstation owner will love every Playstation exclusive game that comes out. That’s definitely not the case but I’m definitely rooting for this game to be a critical and financial success.

Rock on Sony/Playstation!

+ zombie9 on April 11th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

Not firing a shoot? Sounds like Metal Gear to me:)
having problems with beta keep loosing contact to server.

+ VectorRaven on April 11th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

Looking good guys.

+ LightAce on April 11th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Gaabooosh!

+ marlyt on April 11th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

What’s wrong with beta servers???

+ XScreamingEagleX on April 11th, 2011 at 1:05 pm said:

will the Campaign get the new camera patch that was release on the MP??? i personally like the new camera better…

+ CL_KANOS on April 11th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

This game will get a 6-7/10 at best. Im willing to bet. If the menu screen is setup like the beta it will already hurt it review wise since it has no depth like Confrontations character builder etc. and no lobbies? lol fail. No escort game mode? FAIL.

ZIPPER please get these things in the game or it will be a failure.

+ spiderboy59 on April 11th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

i don’t know if this game can get any better!

+ Trieloth on April 11th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

OMG thats looks like some much fun! Which makes the wait so much harder . The beta was a awesome surprise. The controls and graphics are top notch. This game is gonna rock, everything else will suck!!!

*reads a comments* well some people are excited and theres always the monkeys complaining.

+ Tibas_TheMainMan on April 11th, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

Will have this game for downloading in PSN?

+ JoeDuke4 on April 11th, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

Socom beta is amazing. Takes skill and its intense. The Classic socom game modes are the best, no respawn and its great. Finally a tactical shooter without arcadey perks. SP looks great aswell!

+ CerulianThunder on April 11th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

I can’t wait for Socom 4!!

+ RavenSPe on April 11th, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

So when will we be getting a real SOCOM game? Hell, I’d even settle for Confrontation 2 at this point.

+ footballrule on April 11th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

The Beta is so fun! I can’t wait to pre-order this game!

+ mountain_duwe on April 11th, 2011 at 10:04 pm said:

Take SOCOM out of the title and I’d consider buying this game. It’s not SOCOM, sorry.

+ Partnur on April 11th, 2011 at 10:12 pm said:

Watching a team execute a plan perfectly is a thing of beauty! I love having the option of using 4 squad members, but I must admit I want to be in the middle of the action, too. It’d be cool if there was a stat for MP that showed the percentage of assists/kills a player has next to 1 or more teammates to show their team player-ness. The player wouldn’t have to be right beside teammates since snipers can’t be left out. The enemy is what would have to be within a certain range, maybe similar to the Bomb Tech assist range.

+ XenoNative on April 11th, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

i cant find the sharp shooter anywhere. please tell me socom will be bundle with one. : (

+ Jake20202 on April 12th, 2011 at 5:07 am said:

Killer, thanks. ^_^

+ xThe1x on April 12th, 2011 at 7:07 am said:

Hi Zipper,

I work for SCE so I got SOCOM 4 earily and am about halfway through the campaign. I have unlocked about 12 trophies but when I sync my PSN acct they dont show up? However in my Trophy Collection under “Game” on the XMB they show up. LOVIN SOCOM 4, Move integration and sharpshooter are great! Please help with this though! If I dont get these trophies it will really put a damper on things!

+ xThe1x on April 12th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

@XenoNative

Its called the Full Deployment Bundle it will launch Apr 19 as well and you can preorder anywhere.

Comes with Move controller, Nav controller, PS Eye, Sharpshooter, and SOCOM 4 obviously for $150.
Rock solid deal and the Sharpshooter is a game changer!

PAGE 1 2