Driveclub

Capcom Announces Dragon’s Dogma for PS3: Monsters, Magic and Melee

James Gallagher's Avatar + Posted by James Gallagher on Apr 12, 2011 // Blog Manager, SCEE

Dragon’s Dogma is a new intellectual property from the creators of Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 4. And while it resembles another Capcom series featuring monsters and the hunting thereof, we’re promised a unique experience when the game launches in ”early 2012.”

I played a short demo and met with the game’s director, Hideaki Itsuno, and it’s producer, Hiroyuki Kabayashi, at Capcom’s Captivate event in Miami last week.

“While they may have some superficial similarities, they are very different games at heart,” explains Hideaki when asked about comparisons to Monster Hunter. “One key difference is that Dragon’s Dogma has an overarching story whereas in Monster Hunter the focus is on the hunt.”

Dragon's Dogma for PS3

In a nutshell, Dragon’s Dogma is an open-world action adventure set in a world of swords, sorcery and enormous, deadly monsters. “When I was at junior high school I was really taken in by The Lord of the Rings, so I’m sure that has had a strong influence,” explains Hideaki. “You can expect to see a lot of those creatures from Greek and Norse mythologies that fantasy fans will be familiar with.”

“While we don’t share a common history and mythology, Japan has had access to the same pop culture experiences over the last 30 years, and I think that Japanese people do like fantasy games, movies and books. Because of that, we have the same working knowledge of myths and creatures such as the Hydra and the Griffin and people in Europe and America do.”

Dragon's Dogma for PS3Dragon's Dogma for PS3

Dragon’s Dogma has been in development for three years and currently has more people working on it than any other Capcom game. “This is a game that I have wanted to make for many years,” Hideaki adds. “I’ve never felt that we had the technology in place to take on a project of this scale. Now, we have consoles powerful enough and a development team at Capcom knowledgeable enough to bring this vision to life.”

The demo playable in Miami was a quest to take down a Griffin using the Strider – one of three character classes alongside Mage and Fighter – and the flexibility of the combat was the aspect that most stuck in my mind. You’ve got your standard sword melee attacks and daggers for very close combat. You can grab on to the griffin’s wing and hack away as you both fly across the verdant fields or have your mage enhance your weapons with fire and take it down with a volley of flaming arrows.

Dragon's Dogma for PS3

I went back four times overall to experiment with different solutions to the same boss fight, which is impressive pulling power considering I also had Street Fighter X Tekken and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City at my disposal (more on those later in the week).

Your three accomplices in monster-bashing are a key part of the gameplay and are known as Pawns. You can issue commands to them using the directional buttons and they respond with tips along the lines of “Orcs hate fire” and “deploy the rolled-up newspaper” (I made the second one up), and they can develop abilities of your choosing. Interestingly, there are more than 200 individual NPCs in the game world, each with spoken dialog and a full 24-hour daily routine, and any of them can be recruited as Pawns and then customised to your needs.

Dragon's Dogma for PS3

We are told that there will be “a brand-new approach to multiplayer” but were unable to squeeze out any further details. The answer to that other ubiquitous interview question is that the main quest is expected to deliver around 30 hours of gameplay, not counting side quests.

As you can see from these screens and the trailer above, Dragon’s Dogma is a looker and we’ll be keeping an eye on it here at PlayStation.Blog. Feel free to ask questions and look out for more Capcom posts later in the week based on my time with Street Fighter X Tekken, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record and more.

PAGE 1 2

+ Korbei83 on April 12th, 2011 at 8:06 am said:

Very interesting. I will be paying close attention to this title’s development over the coming year.

(I was hoping for some Breath of Fire, but I wasn’t expecting it.)

+ hxczuner on April 12th, 2011 at 8:09 am said:

whaa?! Awesome

+ EatDeath on April 12th, 2011 at 8:09 am said:

WOW THIS LOOKS HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Day 1 Baby Day 1!!!

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ James Gallagher on April 12th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Pretty, huh? I got to play a lot of it last week and the visuals totally match the video up close and personal.

+ XMbeaner on April 12th, 2011 at 8:09 am said:

Monster Hunter PS3?

+ kivi95 on April 12th, 2011 at 8:11 am said:

Will it have move support? Would be awesome!!!

+ Ama_Daoes on April 12th, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

Looks like a great RPG. I love Japanese made games such as this because of their developers attention to detail regarding everything that makes the game world flow. Can’t wait to see more. (BTW I am kinda dumb, what does Dogma mean?)

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ James Gallagher on April 12th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

I will point out that it’s more of an action game than an RPG. Depends how you differentiate between the two, I suppose. In fact, I asked Hideaki-san what he saw as the difference and here is his response:

“That’s a good question and I don’t even know if I have the answer. I do know that with Dragon’s Dogma we want to create a fantasy world in which the player is free to do what they want. Action elements are core to the game but they’re not all that is there, so I don’t like to label it with a definable genre; however, it does have aspects that might be recognisable from other genres.”

Bit vague, I know… probably why it didn’t make the final edit! A dogma is an established belief or faith, off the top of my head.

+ Kamiboy on April 12th, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

Is this really being developed in Japan? I ask because the art style is so generic western fantasy RPG looking.

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ James Gallagher on April 12th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

I thought that too. It turns out the director is heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings and that has been his main inspiration.

+ EggySong85 on April 12th, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

Looks like it takes a little inspiration from Demon’s Souls and atmosphere from Dragon Age. Color me impressed! I’m going to be watching this game very closely!

+ DeathGazer on April 12th, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

An open-world action adventure from Capcom?

Okay, I’m pretty excited for this.

+ KeefRiffards on April 12th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

Excellent! My first thought, of course, was a Monster Hunter for PS3! Finally! Upon reading, I have hopes that it will be similar enough to the MH series, but it looks like it will have a lot more to add into the mix. Kind of reminds me of Demon Soul’s a little bit as well, from the trailer. Can’t wait!

+ cronqvist on April 12th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

Looks like a weird mix of Demon’s Souls, Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter. That should be a winning formula, and I’m already VERY interested in it. Nice Capcom, nice!

+ esko on April 12th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

All I can say OMG another Dragon game yes can’t to play it I love Dragons.

+ DarkRecoil on April 12th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

Looks like another lame multplat game which runs better on the xbox 360. No thanks.

+ Conaaando on April 12th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

Wow! I already love it! \o/

+ madtyger on April 12th, 2011 at 8:31 am said:

Wow, a brand new IP, something we don’t get to see as often as I’d like. I will definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

+ Liamario on April 12th, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

MEH

+ Seventy_X_Seven on April 12th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

@6 It basically just means a rule of law that must be obeyed even with no real justification. The “justification” comes from the enforcer’s “Holier than thou” mentality. So Dragon Dogma is just another way to say “Age of the Dragon,” but something tells me that wouldn’t roll over so well with BioWare. Dragon Dogma has good alliteration anyways. Now all we need is for this to be co-op!

+ jonathan_val on April 12th, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

will have online co-op ??

+ perrandy on April 12th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

looks pretty sick.just hope that the gameplay is as smooth as the footage.definately this game looks pretty western. anyways,this will definately be on my radar!

+ Graywolffe on April 12th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

Lookin’ forward to this! May be reservin’ this right behind Skyrim if things progress well. Loved the feeling of Demon’s Souls infusion. Hopefully it will be: (1) Challenging, and (2) Not REQUIRING online play.

+ perrandy on April 12th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

sry for the double post but how come i wasnt informed that they had an event here in miami XD

+ eyesofreality03 on April 12th, 2011 at 8:57 am said:

ok, this looks to be BAD ASS!!!!

+ Zero298 on April 12th, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

Neat! Looks like Demon/Dark Souls with a more Tolkienesque feel to it. I still hope we get a true Monster Hunter on PS3/360.

+ Christian399 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:00 am said:

About time. Still not 1st party, but I’ll take what I can get.

+ Christian399 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Oh, and can you (James or whoever) confirm that these are actual PS3 screen-shots? I’m not up for paying full price for another lazy multiplat.

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ James Gallagher on April 12th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

I don’t know the actual source of the screen but I can tell you that I played it on PS3, if that says anything to you.

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on April 12th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Sweet, it’s basically a Monster Hunter for PS3. I’ll be keeping my eye on this game.

+ dushku on April 12th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Awesome Stuff!!!
Day 1)
Thank You, Capcom, for your games!

+ fijski8 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

yes, sweet!

These are the games the ps3 has been lacking! Gameplay and eye candy! Can’t wait!

+ Rinaldus91 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

Oh my God. Oh. My. God. I’ve been wanting a game that fits this style for the longest time. Capcom, you rock, and always will!

+ Mobius_124 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

has that demon’s souls art style. looks good, cant wait to see more of it.

+ sheengrtr on April 12th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

the creatures and animations look effin’ cg,if this game is much more of an action adventure than an rpg(without tons of grinding ,slow and repetitive combat combined with long and boring cut scenes) consider this bought capcom,the second it comes out

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ James Gallagher on April 12th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

It is an action adventure, not an RPG according to CAPCOM (I’m from PlayStation Europe).

+ gumi42 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:23 am said:

Looking pretty cool, can’t wait to hear more Capcom.

+ donte1337 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

this looks awesome

hope there’s lots of freedom to move around like Fable 2 and upgrade armor/weapons

This generation is missing good medieval RPGs like that

+ Butters360 on April 12th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

Capcom is starting redeem themselves in my eyes. This looks really good.

+ k1llabeastie on April 12th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

Wow, this is very interesting! So, it’s 4 players? Multiplayer or online too? Very interesting!

+ drunk_vader on April 12th, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

I’m still not sure about the combat, guess we’ll have to see.

+ BEASTXJASON on April 12th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

Looks decent and all but where the heck is Monster Hunter for the PS3!?!?!??? Every other console has it but us. Come on Capcom what gives? Dont make me go to the dark side to get my Monster Hunter

+ Jeigh on April 12th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

I’m going to echo a couple of the previous sentiments: I’m getting a serious Demon’s Souls vibe here, and I’m *definitely* going to see how much of the shaft Capcom gives the PS3 version before I make any commitments. Couldn’t help but notice we only got 1/3 of the Dead Rising 2 experience, meaning, title-wise, we’ve gotten only 1/4 of the entire series, so forgive me if I don’t expect an even experience from this particular dev.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on April 12th, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Looks promising. I hope it will live up to that!

+ Trieloth on April 12th, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Dood look at those graphics! Geez the looks of these games keep getting better all the time. Japan is finally getting back to being some of the top game makers out there. Color me impressed!

+ smorde on April 12th, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

any multiplayer? and is this exclusive for playstation?

+ Jeigh on April 12th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

I’m going to wait to see how much of the shaft the PS3 version gets. Considering that, title-wise, we’ve only gotten 1/4 of the Dead Rising series, forgive me if my faith is less than absolute with Capcom.

+ slipHAZARD on April 12th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Yeah is this a PS3 exclusive? Either way the game looks bad ass

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on April 12th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

WOW that looks awesome!!

+ Shane_O on April 12th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Hmmm….sword and sorcery….dragons, hydras and griffins(oh my!)….open world….30 hours of game play not including side quests….multiplayer….

Dragon’s Dogma is now officially on my radar. I can’t wait to hear more about the story and multiplayer details in the coming months. Also, I hope they get a great composer for the music.

+ Darewind on April 12th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

The game looks real good but it is a Capcom game so I am assuming half of it will be LDC (locked disc content) that we will have to pay extra for under the guise of DLC as is Capcom’s trend this generation.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on April 12th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

I’m impressed, We rarely get to see new IPs, and right now a bunch of them are popping, and look terrific! Like L.A. Noire coming in the next months, and this game, wow, I’m impressed. I’ll surely buy it on day one, depending on my budget when it pops in 2012! =D

+ korgon117 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

Hmm, could be interesting. I need to see more but you have my interest.

+ G-ROCK1021 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

Is this gonna b exclusive2 PS3 or multiplat i mean its comin from capcom so its prolly gonna multiplat but still game looks dope

+ Robbie_G_lrish on April 12th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

Does anybody else just love the way they run and jump? Haha, I’m digging it for that reason alone.

PAGE 1 2