Far Cry 4

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance Hits PSN Today With PlayStation Move Support

Jean Claude's Avatar + Posted by Jean Claude on Apr 12, 2011 // Producer, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance

Hard to believe it’s almost been a year since we unveiled Dungeon Hunter: Alliance at E3, but the wait is finally over. Today, the game is available for download on the PlayStation Network!

In all honesty, we might have been able to release it sooner, but we really wanted to make sure this was a polished game, not just a run-of-the-mill hack ‘n slash. While the storyline is based on the original Dungeon Hunter, we wanted to re-imagine everything else for Alliance. So we rebuilt our game systems, graphics and engine from the ground up for the PlayStation 3.

Balance of Power

Just getting the classes balanced to the point we felt every player will be happy filling in a unique role for their party required extensive playtesting. To this end, we included some great abilities to unlock as your character progresses. Each class has a total of seven ability tiers and players unlock a new tier every few levels, so there’s always something to look forward to just around the corner.

You’re going to need all those powers, as monsters in co-op are noticeably beefed up (and drop better loot), so teamwork is important. This creates opportunities for players to complement each other, becoming a party that’s far more powerful than the sum of its heroes. We also have a system that allows players to reset their skills and explore different roles and customization paths.

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance for PS3 (PSN)

On the Move

Though originally we only planned on players using the standard DualShock controllers, we started working on PlayStation Move motion controls in the spring of 2010. Even with a designer working full time on this for nearly half a year, we had to go through many iterations before finding exactly what we wanted: a new and refined experience with the peripheral – not some tacked-on feature.

The PlayStation Move motion controller allows players to experience Dungeon Hunter: Alliance in a somewhat more relaxed and casual manner, which is exactly what we had in mind for it. Even players inexperienced with the classic controller can easily pick up and play using the PlayStation Move. Personally, I love the fact that it allows you to play with a single hand – leaving the other hand free to grab chips or a cold one – but if you prefer, you can always use a DualShock controller instead.

Play United…Or Not

Still, the hardest part of the process has been making a fun, stable and engaging multiplayer mode that lets you switch seamlessly between single player, local multiplayer and online multiplayer, without having to switch your character. After all, the multiplayer experience really is the focus of this game, but we don’t want players to feel like they have to start back at level one when they feel like playing solo. If you feel like having friends over but don’t want to start a new character, the option is there. If you want to play with four players but can only get two real life allies, you can take your game online and invite a distant friend or a random player to join the party. How you play is up to you.

Naturally, we couldn’t include every single feature that came to mind, and player versus player is one such feature. It was tempting to do, but we opted to focus our effort on making the best possible cooperative experience and had no wish to throw in more game modes simply to make the features list longer.

We are very proud to offer PlayStation Network users the type of experience that has been lacking in this current generation of consoles. We hope they have as much fun playing Dungeon Hunter: Alliance as we had making the game.

PAGE 1 2

+ AntiBeru on April 12th, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

Getting a ‘Gauntlet’ vibe. Will be picking this up.

+ DeviantBoi on April 12th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

This game is gonna scratch an itch I’ve had since the start of this generation.

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Thanks! Hope you enjoy and let us know what you think.

+ Purgatory on April 12th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Been looking forward to this coming out. Only a few more hrs to go can’t wait.

+ cywulf21 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Thanks for that video guys, got some great laughs out of it lol. “Whoa, check out that huge zombie”. Lol. On the other hand that Naomi chick is hot. And the game looks fun by the way.

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:04 pm said:

Glad it made you laugh. The game should be amazing by the way! Hope you enjoy.

+ K3nsh1n on April 12th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Awesome can’t wait! that acting was painfully bad and wasn’t needed, all it needed was gameplay and at the end “Move support and online/offline 4 player coop”

+ Gueeds on April 12th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

trophies?

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

Yes! We definitely have trophies waiting for you.

+ tacotaskforce on April 12th, 2011 at 10:22 am said:

So is there going to be a demo, and if not this week then in the coming weeks?

+ Dragonchasers on April 12th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

That was the most civil (and fake) online gaming session I’ve ever seen! LOL

Played this a bit on my iPad; will definitely pick it up for the big screen.

+ G-Force08 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

I was wondering when the Move support was going to be announced. I saw it in the trailers for the past few months but there was no official word on it. I’ll be getting this for sure. :) Looks great!

+ Maitre on April 12th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

How much???
How does the battle system work with the skills???
How many customized equipment types are there (armor subtypes, ring slots, ect. )
How many subquests if any???
Can we customize each heroe’s look, the video only shows class choices. gender, hair, etc.

+ Xenosuke808 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

really interested
Will there be a demo??

+ adolson on April 12th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

Was already planning to buy this (thanks for the PS+ discount, too!), but this is pretty great news!

+ yazter on April 12th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

Will it include a platinum trophy? Otherwise, not interested =(

+ XMbeaner on April 12th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

Diablo called, they just want to make sure their check is in the mail.

+ joseph2411 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Looks awesome, and glad its not just a run-of-the-mill hack ‘n slash but then could you give us a brief explanation of what the story is about? Also how many quests does it have? and how many hours of gameplay does it offer? Thanks

+ kingotnw on April 12th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

iPad…

+ adolson on April 12th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

How does one-handed play work, exactly? Like a mouse pointer? The trailer shows only two-handed gameplay, unless I missed it. I will watch again…

+ Christian399 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

Will be grabbing this. Note to SCE WWS: hear the excitement and fervour of people willing to part with their money for RPGS?!!! How about a 1st party Western or Eastern RPG? People are getting weary of shooters and salivating for something else.

+ colstripcapn on April 12th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

@6 Gueeds:

Every single game since trophies were added to the PS3 is required to have them. Why do people still ask this several YEARS after this was known?

@13 yazter:

No PSN game contains platinum’s to my knowledge, only full retail games (some of which you can also download).

On topic:

In local co-op, can your friend’s characters be saved? Or are they just generics and any progress/loot they get is lost? Be interesting to play with my wife, but not if she dosen’t get to own her own character.

+ Tommygunn77 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

What time does this game come out? Been waiting all day, its almost 2:00 on east coast and stil no game. The wait is killing me!!!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

just two questions…1.IS THIS AN EXCLUSIVE? 2. HOW MUCH?

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

Yep, it is a PS3 exclusive at $12.99 and 25% off for PlayStation Plus members.

+ EHngel on April 12th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

This is nothing like Diablo. I picked up the game last week from the UK store, not that impressed. Using the Move will leave your wrist hurting, much better with the DS3. The item management is almost non-existent. Hard to compare the items you pick up. It does have an auto-equip function, one that you will always use. There is only one choice of character, you will always play as a guy, you just choose one of 3 classes for him. I think there is a demo on the UK store as when I purchased the game it downloaded the demo and the full game key. Try before you buy, you might just save $10. I would rather the Champions of Norrath series be picked up again, man I miss that game.

And for those people that insist on asking if games have trophies – no comment.

+ Destiny89 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

Looking good, guess will pick it up tonight

+ GamerMan76 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

This game so reminds me of Gauntlet and definitely fill the void that has been missing for a good and nostalgic multiplayer fix. Been waiting all day for this to release.. I hope it before 5 pm when I get off work.

+ dushku on April 12th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

Was already planning to buy this) Great game)

+ AmericanNinja1 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

wow that video was just cheesy. lol

+ Curtisio on April 12th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

I love this kind of game and glad to see it come to pass.

I hope Plus members get a discount… please!!

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

Yes, you do! 25% :-)

+ GamerMan76 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

“+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

just two questions…1.IS THIS AN EXCLUSIVE? 2. HOW MUCH?”

1) Is this relative to how you enjoy playing games. If the game looks fun or exciting it shouldn’t make a difference what system it is on. Play it :)

2) Curious as well. Looks to be a $10 game in UK according to one posters opinions and remarks

+ plaztiksyke on April 12th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

I appreciate the co-op, especially if it doesn’t require “grinding” even at hardest difficulty. I *hate* grinding — it really took my enjoyment of Deathspank down a few notches. My husband and I absolutely loved playing Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance and X-Men Legends on original Xbox. This might be the first co-op dungeon crawler on PS3 we can enjoy.

But:

Given the low-quality textures and lack of lighting effects shown in the screenshots, why doesn’t this game play in 1080p natively?

Does it at least have HD (24-bit and/or losslessly-compressed) audio?

+ PoisoN_Ass_GaS on April 12th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

@ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on April 12th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

just two questions…1.IS THIS AN EXCLUSIVE? 2. HOW MUCH?

—–

The price for this on the PS Store will be $12.99 USD.

+ NIGHTMARE_ELITE7 on April 12th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

I put $60 on PSN and this comes out when i only have $2 left… just my luck lol

+ xVIDAx on April 12th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

Looks great.

$9 for PS Plus Members.

+ Sindred on April 12th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

So looking forward this. I think it’s like less than 10 bucks for Plus users.

+ Ar4chNova89 on April 12th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

I already own Torchlight.

+ gumi42 on April 12th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

discount for plus members, definitely getting this game.
it looks great can’t wait to try it out

what about custom soundtracks, I would love to kill lots of dungeon hordes while listening to some Iron Maiden?

+ Graywolffe on April 12th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

lol Nice video! Way to use your “magic” Naomi. lol

+ HJayZ91 on April 12th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

In the trailer, everybody talks with no emotions what so ever

+ Elitro on April 12th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

Looks nice but this trailer is so cheesy…

+ SithLord1985 on April 12th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

COOOOOOOST!?

+ SolidStateDevice on April 12th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

I’m sorry to say, but I don’t feel like the gaming community was properly represented in that video. Not once did someone shout the f word at the top of their lungs, or appear to scream it in their minds judging by the scowl of death plastered on their face.

+ TruRage on April 12th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

“Hey guys how bout we go together and sign up for some acting classes!”

– “OKIE!”

Srsly, I agree with #38 & #37. Too cheesy of a trailer! lolol. But the game looks fun. =)

+ Fenrisulfr_ on April 12th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

“I’m going to use my magic now.”
If I had a mage in my group who said what they were going to do every time they did it, I’d scream. Great looking game, but that trailer really acted like we were all idiots. Just have a big flashy sign fly at us at Mach 4.0 speeds saying “Online Co-op Multiplayer” and “Voice Chat”. We can handle it.

+ kivi95 on April 12th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

I can confirm people that this is a great game with lvl up to 75. This game is well worth the money and my best buy i have ever done on psn. You really get what you pay for and MORE. Oh and move works AWESOME with the game.

+ adolson on April 12th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

Guys, yes the trailer is cheesy, but give the publisher a break! It’s GameLoft, not freaking Activision or EA. I’m sure their budget is in the tens of dollars, not billions… The gameplay is what matters, and it looks like a step up from some of their other games, even if the others are fun.

In lieu of Torchlight or Diablo 3, and for $9.74-12.99, how can you go wrong here? It’s got co-op and everything… Maybe I’m just optimistic.

+ SolidStateDevice on April 12th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

The trailer is awesome. They are just calm because they know they are whooping ( )( ) on a level far beyond our comprehension.

+ TheGuardianFID on April 12th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Jean you just sold me, I’m in!!! 8)

+ Sindred on April 12th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

@39

I could have sworn the blog announced the game for 12 bucks (9-something for Plus members).

Jean Claude's Avatar

+ Jean Claude on April 12th, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

Yep, the price is $12.99 and 25% off exclusive discount to PlayStation Plus members.

+ sid4peeps on April 12th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

OFF TOPIC…

I’m pretty sure there was supposed to be a Playstation Plus update on April 12th…well, nothing has been said…did Sony just sweep this under the carpet?

ON TOPIC

It’s Gameloft, i have a trophy glitched in the last game i picked up from them >:(

Hope this plays better than the actors can act in that trailer/commercial…lol

+ Sindred on April 12th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

@34 “already own Torchlight.”

Have fun playing that on your own.

JK, Torchlight is amazing, but honestly, it’s better playing these kind of games with friends.

+ sinneD– on April 12th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

looks fun, but will there be different separate coop accounts that you can log in with or just guest stuff. wish there was more info.

PAGE 1 2