PS4-Watch_Dogs

Valve Reveals Portal 2 for PlayStation 3: Steam Details

Doug Lombardi's Avatar + Posted by Doug Lombardi on Apr 13, 2011 // VP of Marketing, Valve

A few months back, Valve announced some initial details of Steam’s debut in the PS3 version of Portal 2. While people were excited to hear about the PS3 game’s inclusion of Steam access to Portal 2 on any PC or Mac, they also had a bunch of questions.

So, here’s a bit more info about Steam on the PS3.

excursion_funnel

Portal 2 for PlayStation 3 is the first title to support Steam on a console. Specifically, that means it offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation 3.

Steam makes its appearance on the PS3 as an overlay within Portal 2. Here, the Steam overlay provides access to Steam Friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

With all these features, Portal 2 on the PS3 is the best console version of the game, just as it was suggested it would be back at E3 last year. If you’re still hungry for more details, head over to steampowered.com and learn more about Portal 2 for PS3.

Portal2_EAps3PFTfront_PSM

Portal 2 will be available next Tuesday, April 19th.

106 Comments

+ SuMizzle on April 13th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

All I see is references to “text chat”. With it being 2011, will we have voice chat as well?

+ tomstockmail on April 13th, 2011 at 12:29 pm said:

Excellent, I’m glad it’s going to work perfectly.

Since the PS3s Portal 2 version comes with a Steam code, the PS3 version is the best version of Portal 2.

+ i_like_toast on April 13th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

Can’t wait for Portal 2 ^.^; Portal was one of the few shootah based games i really enjoyed since my horrible ability aim is not critical to do well

+ Senjutsu_Dav on April 13th, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

Can’t Sony simply use Steam instead of the PSN? lol, man, it’s looking a lot better than what we have with the playstation 3 system’s online services… I wonder if Valve will continue working on this kind of implementation for all of their games! lol. Would be nice to fully integrate Steam inside the PS3, or to simply replace the actualy PSN by steam, or patch the PSN so it looks like what steam is offering!!

Pretty impressive!!

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on April 13th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

This is a mind blowing deal! WOW! Valve has my money day one.

+ VectorRaven on April 13th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

My body is ready for you Valve. Take me

+ Zezzler on April 13th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

I cannot wait for this game! It is going to eat up soooo much of my time next week. Thanks Valve for the best version on any console ;)

+ GRG89 on April 13th, 2011 at 12:48 pm said:

I cant decide between this and Mortal Kombat!!!!!

Never played Portal but seeing the previews, screenshots vids…I get interested every minute.

+ CerulianThunder on April 13th, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

19 + Mobius_124

You don’t really need a Keyboard and a Mouse to compete with PC players, but that’s totally up to the person playing, I’ve beat plenty of people on PC with a controller.

+ NeoHumpty on April 13th, 2011 at 1:09 pm said:

Fantastic job winning over some ps3 fans, Gabeyboy! Can I haz updated Team Fortress now?? I’ll pay full price for a fully updated version. I want some hats, dagnabbit!!

+ TJF588 on April 13th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

So excite. Really likin’ the “earn cheevos at the same time”, though I wonder if earning them on PC will also give you the trophy once you boot the PS3 version back up.

Still wondering (and haven’t read through the comments) if we can play our PS3 version (even if on a different Steam account) at the same time as our PC/Mac copy, to allow for living-room-co-op.

+ D-Squad3 on April 13th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

Freaking awesome, wish I had more money.

+ Karsghul on April 13th, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

Wow @ people wanting to steal a copy. A company does something awesome that benefits the user like having an additional copy on PC and someone wants to take advantage of it.

This is why we can’t have nice things. I now get why EA and Activision do what they do. /rant

I’m buying this game day 1.

+ the_FREELANCER on April 13th, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

Awesome! Would love to see L4D and a proper Team Fortress 2 in the future please!

+ Neil on April 13th, 2011 at 1:41 pm said:

luvs it

+ TJF588 on April 13th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Oh, finally read that Knowledge Base article, and the note about Trophies unlocking Cheevos, but not vie versa. Well, then, I’ll be playin’ on my Big Box o’ Blu-ray!

+ TJF588 on April 13th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

…aaand the part about “only one player per account” tidbit (even though I’m slow, I’m still too quick in posting), though I’m glad for split-screen co-op.

+ MrSignal on April 13th, 2011 at 1:54 pm said:

Well, if a friend had your code, you could still play with them cross-system.

Seeing as the code just unlocks the pc/mac version.

Otherwise, looking forward to giving it a go. Everyone else, check out the portal tech videos.

+ digitalman123 on April 13th, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

Awesomes! This game looks great!
Cross-game chat coming?

+ crunchmonkey on April 13th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Does the PS3 version have keyboard and mouse support?

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on April 13th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

I can’t wait to play with my friend who has a really good PC. This is great, thanks Valve!

+ Stoffinator on April 13th, 2011 at 2:50 pm said:

Pleeeeeease bring the Left 4 Dead games to the PS3 with Steam support.

+ KazeEternal on April 13th, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

So I can earn PS3 trophies for Portal 2 with my PC?

+ Rick1220 on April 13th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Wow this is going to be great! Got the game pre-ordered on Amazon!

+ ABRipperXX on April 13th, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

Looks awesome guys! PS3 rocks! How long will the campaign be?

+ Lapwner on April 13th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

Sounds awesome!

However, I’m kind of broke right now and I probably won’t be able to get Portal 2 right away. Is there any way to link your Steam account with your PSN ID without the use of Portal 2? So I could play other games while signed in both under Steam and the PSN?

Also, I hope that Valve releases Left 4 Dead on PS3. They could do a Left 4 Dead Collection (both games on 1 disc) with all the DLC included and steam support….that would be amazing.

+ BLipp17 on April 13th, 2011 at 4:05 pm said:

pretty awesome. at college everyone is always like “im getting portal 2 for PC, its the only way to play it” and i have to keep on telling them to get the PS3 version, since its basically get 2 games for the price of 1

+ xCaliberr on April 13th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

Steam<PSN
Steam on my ps3 is epic

+ wocyob on April 13th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

What about trophies… like let say i get the ps3 version and i hope on my pc so since im downloading some demos on my ps3… what happens when i get an achievement on the pc but not on my ps3.. will i be able to get it once i log back in my ps3 or will i have to do it again but this time on the ps3?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 13th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

Hi Valve, you’re so freaking awesome, I’m backlogged now with my games but I will get Portal 2 and show my support.

Please give us a Left 4 Dead Collection (1+2) with Steam support. I’ll love you forever. <3

+ NotoriousGamer on April 13th, 2011 at 5:22 pm said:

So u dont play as the girl from Portal 1???

+ sindiewen on April 13th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

The only reason I didnt preorder the PC version is because of the PS3 version. Getting a free copy of Portal 2 on the PC is an amazing deal.

Really cannot wait to try the whole steam intergration. Which actualy I have a question: Can you be logged into Steam on the PS3 and also be logged into Steam on your computer at the same time?

+ Berae on April 13th, 2011 at 6:28 pm said:

Cant wait for that game! MK9 and Portal 2 in few days!

+ Chuckbait on April 13th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

Steam on PS3? Crazy. I remember when steam first came out…. Counter Strike baby

+ lockster246 on April 13th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

OMG!! I pre-order Portal 2 for PC already!!! For 80$ and now i find out that you can play on ps3 and pc if you have a ps3 verson omg…

+ Little_BombA on April 13th, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

I want Portal 1 and Team Fortress in PSN

+ SHINSPIKES on April 13th, 2011 at 8:21 pm said:

Meh, I was hopin for cross chat from my pc to friends ps3. But since the ps3 can’t do their own, guess steam can’t do it on a weak console. Oh yeah, thanks for the ylod sony.

+ phatmillips on April 13th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

I was on the fence about this but now I’m sold, well done valve

+ theultimatenub on April 13th, 2011 at 9:16 pm said:

This game is awesome I cannot wait to buy it

+ Amans91 on April 13th, 2011 at 9:54 pm said:

this is awesome, I will be able to play with some of my friends who play on Steam, on their overpowered PC monsters!!!!!! lol

+ unbornsoldier on April 13th, 2011 at 10:21 pm said:

hopefully this means steam is coming to ps3 i would buy so many games from steam specially at there cheap prices

+ LordRaoh on April 13th, 2011 at 10:37 pm said:

Can’t wait, pre ordered my copy with amazon.com.

Up next for Valve and the PS3???

Half Life 2: Episode 3?

Left for dead?

Orange Box Re-Release?

Counter Strike?

Any chance of receiving Steam services when not playing Portal 2 but across PSN?

+ DarkOne_PR on April 13th, 2011 at 11:47 pm said:

PLS this is important to get answer! As soon as we get our accounts linked with Steam, can we buy the games at valve store and play them on our ps3s?!!! Im dying to get L4D on PS3! C,mon VALVE make it happen!

+ donte1337 on April 14th, 2011 at 12:10 am said:

any chance Left 4 dead 1 and 2 can be released on PS3 with similar steam integration for PS3?

+ silverthehedgeh on April 14th, 2011 at 1:42 am said:

i did a deal with a getting a bundle and it said i would get a code for a skin, i was wondering if this skin can be on my ps3 as well or is it pc only

+ Twinkling82 on April 14th, 2011 at 2:05 am said:

Lolsa1, yes you can give a Portal 2 gift via Steam – there’s even a double pack offer as pre-order bonus. It should be pretty straight forward, though I have never tried buying more copies of one game or give any codes out.

+ KainDrake on April 14th, 2011 at 2:09 am said:

It just hit me that this game being saved on the steam cloud is probably the reason cloud saving came to the psn (for plus memebers).

I’m just curious, unlocking a trophy on the ps3 also unlocks the steam achievement, but the vice-versa isn’t true; unlocking a steam achievement doesn’t unlock the psn trophy. Why is that?

+ DjCircle on April 14th, 2011 at 4:28 am said:

Cant wait for this game, its been to long. Wheres Half-Life 2 Episode 3?

+ Rhez on April 14th, 2011 at 4:56 am said:

I first heard about the cross platform gaming from the Qore interview. The moment Veronica Belmont said it I had to rewind and listen again. Even then I was like; “WHAT!?” I couldn’t believe my ears. I still can’t believe this is real.

This expands the player base by a huge factor and makes their online community potentially bigger than any other game on the PS3. I really hope this works out for Valve and Sony and becomes a model for future titles integrating cross platform gaming. I know so many people who buy games on a particular system because that is where their friends play regardless of their actual preference for gaming. With PC and PS3 being integrated like this both platforms can benefit.

+ Lugoves on April 14th, 2011 at 5:37 am said:

For those who haven’t pre ordered, Amazon is offering a $20 video game credit , I ordered my copy 1/19/2011… check it out – If I’m allowed to post the link I will … http://amzn.to/fXB6ux