Bloodborne

See inFAMOUS 2’s Mission Designer in Action, More Details on Single Player

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Apr 18, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

A week ago, Sucker Punch shared a couple of new inFAMOUS 2 missions, as well as the full download, so to speak, of the game’s User-Generated Content tools.

A full UGC suite in a game like I2 is a new experience on PS3, so what can you do with it? And how difficult is it to put something together? Sucker Punch Senior Game Designer Karl Deckard sat down with us to demonstrate how to remix something fun.

As a huge devotee of the first inFAMOUS, I was eager to get my hands on the DualShock 3 to try out the new single player levels. Here are my impressions to go along with the video:

“Forced Conduits”

This mission from the 2nd island of New Marais finds me stepping into the trainers of Evil Cole. He’s got a sickly pallor, and his every attack glows a fierce red. Eeee-vil.

This mission sends Cole on a search for a blast core – and more power – somewhere in the warehouse district. As I make my way towards the target on the mini-map, I try out the revamped parkour system. Those who thought Cole was a bit too sticky in the first game will find that smoothed out. Jump and towards a handhold, and he’ll do the rest. Scaling is quicker, and overall Cole just seems to move a bit faster.

Blasting open some crates, I discover a safe. Sorry Cole, but our Blast Core is in another warehouse! We don’t come up entirely empty-handed – inside is the deed (and location) of 3 potential hiding places for our treasure.

inFAMOUS 2 for PS3

I’m now set upon by ice-imbued bad guys with frosty shields that resist my electrical attacks. I throw a handful of mini-grenades over one enemy’s head. Not only do they take him out from his unprotected flank, but they also destroy the wall from behind him – a nice surprise. In general, the city itself is not impervious to Cole’s attacks. The damage makes you feel like even more of a bad-ass.

On the hunt for the core, I run into more frozen foes: troops who skid across the ground on a path of ice (a la Iceman), and a huge Ice Crusher, who promptly starts kicking my ass.

inFAMOUS 2 for PS3

As I enter the 3rd warehouse, enemies seal me in and fill the place with gas. I climb to above the plume, and ponder an exit. That’s right – the grenades! I blow out a wall, sending the gas streaming out through the hole. The safe I find, however, is empty. One more to go.

This one must be it – not only due to process of elimination, but because it’s crawling with enemies. Screw entering from the door – I blow a hole open in the wall and make a beeline for the safe. All is well, except for that huge ice boss!

inFAMOUS 2 for PS3

Some well-placed grenades take off his left arm. Then his right. I now have the option of launching into a QTE. I don’t mess these up… Ah, but I didn’t plan on the snipers shooting me from the warehouse rooftop above – they pick me off before I can pry that beast apart, and by the time I recover, so has he – with a pair of new arms.

Fortunately, you’re not forced to repeat the process – with enough of an ass kicking, he goes down. The Blast Core is in my possession, along with a bonus: Bertrand’s briefcase. The day is mine!

“Demons”

The demo opens with Cole searching for an “old man,” presumably Bertrand, in the remains of a crashed helicopter. Instead, he finds a 10-story-tall hard-shelled Behemoth that’d be at home at the Cloverfield family reunion.

inFAMOUS 2 for PS3

The beast’s carapace deflects everything I can throw at it, and its only weak spot seems to be in the mouth – when it’s open. Running away from it, I zoom in with a tap up on the D-pad when I can and unleash a sniper shot. Shooting over the shoulder is easier said than done, but the shot packs a mean wallop when it lands.

Violence begets violence, and the creature’s response is significant. It starts spitting acid and kicking cars at me, keeping me on the run. After receiving another massive hit on the kisser from Cole, it rears up on its hind legs, its ribcage swinging open like the gates to Minas Tirith. Revealed within, some brightly lit and tender looking parts, which I’m all too willing to shock with Cole’s powers.

The stakes are raised – the beast calls for reinforcements, in the form of crawling larvae and a horde of man-sized mutants (which should look familiar if you’ve seen previous I2 demos). They only complicate the matter as I split attention between the hulking monstrosity’s weak points and fending off the smaller attackers with melee strikes from the Amp (which feels awesome, btw).

inFAMOUS 2 for PS3

The New Marais’ townsfolk now start pitching in, taking shots at the fell beast with RPGs and whatever else they have at hand. The behemoth turns down another street, and I double back from behind. Seeing no weak point, I run through its legs, only to find that I’ve gotten too close – a tentacle grabs Cole and is pulling him in – only a well timed shot saves our hide.

It’s time to end this. Discovering one of Cole’s new powers, I levitate a cop car using R2, and then aim and hurl it into the beasts final functioning organ.

The day is won. But what *was* that thing? I’ll find out June 7, along with the rest of you.

PAGE 1 2

+ Gskyace on April 18th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

Amazing!!!
Love inFamous!
and U3 Beta,lol.

+ Stringer2355 on April 18th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

Is Infamous 2 going to have 3D or Move Support ?

+ DarkRecoil on April 18th, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

inFAMOUS 2 avatars please!

+ Airwalkinman17 on April 18th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

all i know is that there is so much awesomeness on the playstation 3.
can’t wait for this game too!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ drew327 on April 18th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

I love how he stepped around saying “we are going to add packs as DLC” by saying “delivered on the Playstation Network”.

I love the play/create/share stuff, but I hate how every weeks PS Store Update is flooded with categories (New Rock band releases, new guitar hero releases, new LBP, new modnation, new madden…. and on and on and on.)

All that said, I know this game is going to be awesome and I have my Hero Edition and release date delivery from Amazon ready.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on April 18th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Still tempting to buy this! Normally I’m opposed to single-player-only games but I’m not sure about this one! :D

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 18th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

Well, that’s part of the point of the Mission Designer – endless replayability.

+ drunk_vader on April 18th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

Jeff, would you stop torturing me? I can’t take it anymore!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 18th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

NO I WILL NOT STOP

+ wrestlemania0226 on April 18th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

T_T
UNCHARTED 3 AND INFAMOUS 2 DISCOVERIES IN ONE WEEK!!!!????!!!!
THANK YOU PLAYSTATION!!!!

+ cebackes on April 18th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

Any chance of brazilian portuguese subtitle and audio like KZ3??

[]s

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 18th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

I just confirmed that this is the case. Great news!

+ Vorlord on April 18th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

Jeff, did you find out if the levels that people creat get rated, or put on a leaderboard? I’ve always wanted to know if it was something so\imilar to LBP 2 where you could rate the levels and such.

+ Berae on April 18th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

Stop showing us things and release it! lolll I’m trying to not watch videos anymore but I just cant help myself lol. Its gonna be an awesome game!

+ Vorlord on April 18th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

*similar *create (sorry, typed too fast)

+ CaptTM on April 18th, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

The Infamous 2 Beta is a blast to play and to create BTW, and I cant wait for the Hero Edition when it comes out However, my only problem is that I Graduate and have finales from my university the week when it comes out. Thus, little time to play it during that time. =/

+ KazeEternal on April 18th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

I wish Infamous 1 trophies hadn’t burned me out on Infamous as a whole, this game looks great. But the thought of doing more fetch quests and hunting down shards makes me shutter.

This game looks great and Infamous fans are going to be happy between the UGC editor, story, and graphics of this game I think. This seems like AAA title.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 18th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

I’m actually missing 1 shard in all of Empire. 1!
    I asked the team about this, and they said that they’ve made some changes to the ‘sonar’ thing to make it easier to collect em all.

+ Korbei83 on April 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

Can’t wait to get back into Cole’s shoes.

+ Enalor on April 18th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

OMG awesome!
June can’t come any sooner T_T
Btw, will all inFamous 2 copies include the Uncharted 3 beta?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 18th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

Specially marked copies. Look for it!

+ YungShep on April 18th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

I CANT EVEN IMAGINE WHAT E3 WILL ENTAIL!!! I FEEL LIKE YOUR SHOWING YOUR BEST HANDS ALREADY: ) STILL STOKED

+ KwietStorm on April 18th, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

If you remix someone else’s mission, will the original or the previous author(s) still be “credited” for having their mission basically used as a template?

+ Butters360 on April 18th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

This is simply outstanding. The PlayStation Blog is on FIRE today.

+ gamer_316 on April 18th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

i’m in the inFAMOUS 2 beta & its pretty solid now but I don’t really have the patience to spend hours to make lvls, I tried on LBP & i did try in this beta but it was a no go =/

+ Viggorrah on April 18th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

I…I want to play… ;_; If I don’t get in to the beta I dunno how I’m gonna survive till June 7th.

+ gold5225 on April 18th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

Sony have really outdone themselves this year with PlayStation. I love all the games your developers keep pumping out. I simply adored the first inFAMOUS and this one promises to be even better. I CAN NOT WAIT!

+ LUGIEZ on April 18th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

This game shall demolish many others, my hypothesis

+ LilWayneSuckz on April 18th, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

Take my money nowwwwww!

Pre-ordered

+ Jacksonadam123 on April 18th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

any chance of a demo

+ SPOPS on April 18th, 2011 at 1:09 pm said:

Day 1 purchase, I can not wait for this game. I loved the first game

+ loyolakain on April 18th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

OMG it’s so cool.
I hope I’ll have the demo this week
(hero edition already pre ordered :p)

+ angelspawn77 on April 18th, 2011 at 1:41 pm said:

woo! can’t wait!

+ D-Squad3 on April 18th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

So anybody can remix someone else’s level? What if I make a level and I don’t want anybody copying it just so they canrepublish it as their own?

+ PoInTyNiPs on April 18th, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Absolutely stunning, why don’t Sony Santa Monica Studio do the UGC (user generated content) thing with GOW 3. That would be the best thing that’ll happen to it and with Sony. Please Sucker Punch tell Sony and Santa Monica Studio to do this, this is the best thing ever.

+ TapDatApp on April 18th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

Will the inFAMOUS 2: Hero Editions include this “specially marked” copy of the game that comes with the Uncharted 3 Beta? Please do answer and sorry if this has already been said and I just missed it, but I can’t seem to find a clear response to this.

+ ClassicSpyroFan on April 18th, 2011 at 2:40 pm said:

wait… is that 10 story thing “THE” beast? I hope not. But others can take your mission and change it? And you can do nothing about it? But other than that, you guys are doing a wonderful job.

+ SalMoriarty on April 18th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

Any way you can give us a sense of scale of the size of the bag that comes with the Hero Edition?

+ Enalor on April 18th, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

Are the specially marked copies random or will them be the first X amounts of copies? I’ll be buying one a week after its release so…
Hoping they’re not random :(

+ bmate1990 on April 18th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

Deliver additional content via PSN you say? Great! sucks for those who don’t have a PS Store :D

+ fuzzyclutter on April 18th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

I’m still asking myself how i managed to miss the release of the first , never even heard of it unrtill it was made available as a dl PSN . just purchased a few days ago and it is a RIOT , Sometimes i even just forget about the missions and just wander about looking for baddies and creative ways to take them out . good stuff .

+ The-Jack-Burton on April 18th, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

If you guys nickel and dime us for UGC content through PS Store, I will be furious. I was pissed enough at Zipper for charging for game modes that I’m not buying their game. And I had already paid for the Navy Seal’s bundle.

+ FonFahbre on April 18th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

I wish I was in the BETA ;(

June 7 is still far off!!

+ theultimatenub on April 18th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

This is awesome I love inFamous

+ Macross22 on April 18th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

This’s an AWESOME looking game BUT I’d like to know if I’ll be able to play this game with the English voices and other languages subtitles like the Uncharted 1-2 & GOW 3 games.

Because the english dub is usually much better that the other ones and I hate having to change the PS3 system language to english(with the consecuence of having to play the game with English texts too) everytime i want to play the game.

Is it so difficult to add voice and text selector in games?

I hope you can answer ^_^.

+ WNDRTWN1 on April 18th, 2011 at 5:25 pm said:

I just preordered the Hero Edition today. Will that have the beta in it as well?

+ Ed243 on April 18th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Jeff Im in the same boat as you. I printed out a map and check down all the shards I got on each spot and only found 1 out of 2 I was looking for so sad. I really hope the inprove the radar in 2.

+ PSWii2008 on April 18th, 2011 at 7:02 pm said:

Will the UGC beta be opened up to Plus users, or do you have to be invited to the beta?

+ PhantomOfPanton on April 18th, 2011 at 8:18 pm said:

Serious question here:

Will players have the ability to lock their created content? What I mean is, will people be able to prevent levels from being remixed/edited? This will no doubt be a HUGE problem if people can’t prevent others from remixing their levels.

PS: It would be great if a remixed level had a link to the original level in the information box! :)

+ Justp94 on April 18th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

I Still don’t like Cole’s new voice actor, he doesn’t sound like a Villian/Super Hero at all… he just sounds like a 20 year old guy, bring back the old Cole voice!

+ Spacerac on April 18th, 2011 at 8:53 pm said:

When I snagged a used 60 PS3 from gamestop last year (sorry guys, I need my old games to work!) and subsequently bought the Infamous/DualShock 3 bundle, I knew it was going to be fun finally playing my first current gen game (other than multiplayer matches in Resistance, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, a certain shooter on the other console and a certain motion sports collection on the other other console). But little did I know that when I reached the game’s end that I was gonna be thouroughly blown away. I still remember shushing my mother when she came to tell me to turn the sound down (I always turn the surround up higher at the last boss) right when the end scene started. I knew I had dived into a new world of games beyond my wildest dreams and that was all thanks to the first Infamous game. Now I’m hyped for I2 which comes around the time I got the first game, bringing this full circle in a poetic sort of way.

+ that-acmilan-guy on April 18th, 2011 at 8:57 pm said:

Is it possible for us to download levels by the computer, something along the lines of LBP2?

+ TM1619 on April 18th, 2011 at 9:06 pm said:

Holy moly. UGC looks like a lot of fun to experiment yet! I sincerely can’t wait to see more of what Sucker Punch has to offer with this already spectacular looking game. inFamous 2 needs to be here, fast!

+ korgon117 on April 18th, 2011 at 11:01 pm said:

I cannot wait for this game! The Hero edition will be pre-ordered and payed for in the first week of May. Though I’m already a Plus member, I will give my beta code to a friend for U3. Thanks Sucker Punch!

+ hobb123 on April 19th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

will the Collector Edition have Uncharted 3 beta?

PAGE 1 2