Uncharted 4

Apr 19

Apr 19

Update on The Last Guardian and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar Posted by Senior Producer, International Software Development

SCEA can confirm that we are officially delaying release of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection as well as The Last Guardian from their respective launch timeframes of Spring ’11 and Holiday ’11. We will provide more information regarding release timing at a later date.

Here are a few words from The Last Guardian Director/Game Designer, Fumito Ueda:

I announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show that the release timing of The Last Guardian which is currently being developed would be holiday 2011.

However, to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users and to fulfill First Party Studio’s obligations, I decided to postpone its release timing.

All the members of my production team are working together at a fast pace to develop and release the game in First Party Studio quality.

I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for “The Last Guardian” for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Sir_Dr_JM said:

April 19th, 11:04 pm

Bummer =(

Hope to see some new stuff at E3 to hold us off then ;)

Blkant said:

April 19th, 11:09 pm

Wow… and we don’t even have information on it… I cannot imagine what could take this long but ok. Whatever it takes…

Resurrected-X460 said:

April 19th, 11:15 pm

first lol
BTW i’ll wait for that game no matter how long, that’s a HUGE game (I’m sure).

lobotomies4free said:

April 19th, 11:18 pm

Keep up the good work Ueda-san. Meanwhile can you please let us re-live the classics in HD Sony?

GooDer_gAMe said:

April 19th, 11:25 pm

Willingness to delay games in order to make GOOD games GREAT, is what sets apart mediocre studios like EA apart from the best ones like Kojima’s, Blizzard and Sony’s First Party Companies.

ItsNymo said:

April 19th, 11:30 pm

Extremely bummed out to hear this, but as long as it’s not canceled: I’ll still be very much looking forward to getting both for my PS3, whenever that may be…

nickolas82 said:

April 19th, 11:32 pm

Thats OK……..Ueda has all of our understanding cause he is so special.
Keep up the good work Ueda san

iTofuMan said:

April 19th, 11:43 pm

As long as both The Last Guardian & The Ico/SotC are epic i can live with that. i mean i assume they have their reasons to delay, and sometimes its a good thing. I mean it could be worse!

Anyway i hope everyone working on both projects are working hard and i hope that when the games do come out that i fully enjoy them both with all the hard work you have put into the games.

Butters360 said:

April 20th, 12:09 am

Really bummed about it but it’s understandable. The final product will be that much better.

twistedfloyd said:

April 20th, 12:16 am

That’s too bad, but at the same time, it’s ok. Good for Ueda and co for taking their time to make the best game possible, and being sincere about having to delay it again.

Hopefully it’ll be a 2012 Spring release for Team Ico collection and a Holiday 2012 release for The Last Guardian. Good luck Team Ico!

dokoganryu said:

April 20th, 12:32 am

As was hinted by Amazon and other retailers delaying preorders of the game until 2012. It was pretty much expected.

Kchow23 said:

April 20th, 12:51 am

Was fully expecting this considering the huge lineup of exclusives this year.. though I am not concerned, but I was at least hoping for the HD remake this year.

Hooligantuan said:

April 20th, 12:53 am

I already have a preorder set for the Collection, too. Psh.

At least I hope this gives them time to put more “game” in the Last Guardian game. Shadow of the Colossus was undeniably an epic experience, but I do wish it had more “game” in its gameplay. All that lizard tail shooting and fruit shooting was a short-lived enjoyment and so many areas felt like they really needed something else going on in them. They had all those Time Trial unlockable items, too, and a few of them would have been really great artifacts to have to search for and such. And nothing in the Secret Garden? ARGH.

All I’m sayin’ is that I loved that game, but it could have done well to be a smidge less empty. Like think about how every time you heard a bear in Red Dead Redemption was a tense moment – there’s plenty of room for some wild bears and stuff in the forbidden land. Deer. So much room.

And don’t get me started on all those places you couldn’t actually reach, even when you parachuted into them. ARGH.

steadydecline said:

April 20th, 1:57 am

HOw is this game even going to break even with this development time. I don’t know how big the studio is but it better be really small to justify the costs.

RavenSPe said:

April 20th, 2:53 am

Can’t wait for The Last Guardian, it looks so good. And I never got to play ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, looks like I’ll just have to wait longer but I’m sure it’ll be worth it!

Jimmy_Cosmos said:

April 20th, 3:10 am

Ueda is the man! Take your time & keep working hard on the Last Guardian. I hope it turns out as great as ICO & SotC!

Korbei83 said:

April 20th, 3:39 am

I had been thinking that this would happen since Twisted Metal announced its date. There’s nowhere left for Last Guardian but January or February of 2012, maybe March. So we’ll probably get the collection in the fall like the GOW Collection.

Rinaldus91 said:

April 20th, 4:14 am

Saw the Last Guardian delay coming, but a little disappointed to see SotC/ICO HD not releasing on schedule. Hopefully the release date for the collection doesn’t fall -too- far back.

Rinaldus91 said:

April 20th, 4:14 am

Anyways, while we’re on the subject, can we get some Shadow of the Colossus avatars on the PSN store?

cuterena said:

April 20th, 4:49 am

As much as this news isn’t what I wanted to hear, at least we know you guys are making a great game. Whenever it releases, I will be purchasing ‘Last Guardian’, as well as my second copies of Ico/Shadow. Keep up the great work.

And @ #5, more true words have never been spoken. Nice comment :)

Carl-G said:

April 20th, 4:57 am

I got a feeling it will be out in 2012. Hopefully the ICO/SOTC Collection will be out this year tho(don’t see why not) :P

Anddo said:

April 20th, 5:25 am

I knew TLG may get pushed into 2012. But, ICO/SOTC Collection hurts.. This is not how I wanted to start my morning :(

Lugoves said:

April 20th, 5:27 am

I’ll wait. Rather have it be done as well as it can be. lol

PhantomOfPanton said:

April 20th, 5:35 am

I suppose this is because of the Japanese disasters, the earthquake, flooding, all that.
I understand, but I see this as a god thing.

There are so many amazing games coming out this year, and so many that have allready came out. PS3 exclusives:
-Little Big Plante 2
-Killzone 3
-socom 4
-infamous 2
-Resistance 3
-Twisted Metal
-Uncharted 3

It is going to be a crazy year for my wallet. So some delayed games is more than ok with me, gives them the right time to perfect the game, and saves me money. I feel like I should of donated to Japan, can I still do this on the PS store?

shazbot-finubus said:

April 20th, 5:42 am

Sad news, but ultimately I’m OK with this. Look at the games that are coming out for the rest of 2012, I think Last Guardian would be competing with a lot of top quality stuff, even from Sony’s own stable of first party developers. If a delay means we’ll be getting a better game in the long run, then I’m all for it.

For all the folks who are annoyed or angry at the delay, show a little patience. Good things come to those who wait.

DarkRecoil said:

April 20th, 5:57 am

EXCELLENT NEWS

This is great news because there are far too many top class Sony games being released this year, which will undoubtedly result in many deserving games being overlooked and not achieving the successes they deserve. (we cant buy everything!)

…so to hear that at least one of those games is being pushed back to 2012 is great news. Hopefully this will happen to a few more titles also.

I3rand0 said:

April 20th, 6:23 am

The Last Guardian and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection delayed again? The Last Guardian and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection delayed again.

Zezzler said:

April 20th, 6:24 am

No matter how long it takes, i trust that they know what they are doing. It’s going to be an awesome game. As for the Ico/Colossus collection… WHY!? i really wanted to play ico :( oh well, i guess the massive amount of other PlayStation games will keep me busy for the time being.

joseph2411 said:

April 20th, 6:36 am

Despite being sad to hear this i’m also happy since this holiday its pretty
packed with awesome games (not to say Last Guardian isn’t awesome)
but it would be great to see it having a release date with little to no games to
battle against.

VectorRaven said:

April 20th, 6:44 am

Can anyone clue me in what is meant by ‘1st party obligations’? Is this implementation of 3D? The game looks seriously a gen ahead already. What could this delay be?

Hellman said:

April 20th, 6:50 am

That’s fine with me their are to many games to buy anyways I can wait.

clupula668 said:

April 20th, 6:51 am

Take as much time as you need. Just make sure it’s done right. Loved Shadow of the Colossus and I have high expectations for this. Take your time. Make your art. I will be there to play it when it’s done.

Mattsta001 said:

April 20th, 6:57 am

Why is the Ico/SoTC collection delayed? The games are already done. Get them out the door ASAP and stop messing around.

Mattsta001 said:

April 20th, 7:05 am

Oh and Tsubasa, since you seem to be the liaison person I hope Kazunori Yamauchi realises GT5 was a huge disappointment for many people and PD are way out of touch, please remind him he needs to hire a bilingual community manager as Forza looks like it is going to wipe the floor with his game. 84 on Metacritic for Sony’s flagship racing game is shameful.

remanutd5 said:

April 20th, 7:05 am

expected , nothing new

VectorRaven said:

April 20th, 7:46 am

lol @ Mattsta001. Dude really? GT5 huge disappointment? Your subtle troll is acknowledged. Forza cannot wipe anything off of GT5. Go get a reality check.

Link01 said:

April 20th, 7:52 am

That sucks…. seriously sucks…

hush404 said:

April 20th, 8:14 am

:( I can see it for The Last Guardian… but why the SotC and Ico collection?

Ama_Daoes said:

April 20th, 8:21 am

Keep up the good work Ueda-san.

Surfaced said:

April 20th, 8:39 am

It’s okay, Ueda-san. Your games should not be rushed.

Thanks for informing us, Tusbasa. Keep us posted.

Surfaced said:

April 20th, 8:42 am

@VectorRaven

I think Polyphony makes the better game but if you read the reviews, it seems the people who write them enjoyed Turn10’s style of game more. Considering GT5 has an 84 meta now, it won’t be difficult to beat.

It could turn out really bad. Sony’s success in Europe is due in no small part to Gran Turismo. What if people slowly begin deciding there’s a better game? None of us want to see that happen.

TheTwelve said:

April 20th, 9:01 am

Proof that the world won’t end in 2012, as far as I’m concerned.

MegamiTensei13 said:

April 20th, 9:07 am

Quality is first don’t worry Ueda-san

BigBoss712 said:

April 20th, 9:22 am

As long as it releases this year its all good.

SmooshyKing said:

April 20th, 10:56 am

Big Boss, if it’s being delayed from Holiday 2011, well, I’m guessing it isn’t going to be released this year.

Jeesh…

pitythefool852 said:

April 20th, 11:12 am

It’s disappointing, but at the same time I’d prefer the team to take their time with the game and to get it right, rather than to rush its release.

At least we’ll have the Ico Collection to tide us over in the meantime.

The1stMJC said:

April 20th, 11:13 am

Yea I am not shocked. I expected this since Last Guardian was obviously a 2012 release. Therefore Ico and Shadow needed to be delayed in order to be placed properly to hype The Last Guardian.

pitythefool852 said:

April 20th, 11:14 am

Oh no, I just read that it includes Ico Collection too :(

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I look forward to playing the games as soon as they’re ready.

boxmyth said:

April 20th, 11:34 am

Better late than not perfect. I trust in Ueda-san.

lostinplainsight said:

April 20th, 11:54 am

*drops to knees* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

PAGE 1 2