PS4 - Destiny

Update on PSN Service Outages

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Apr 20, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We’re aware certain functions of PlayStation Network are down. We will report back here as soon as we can with more information.

Thank you for your patience.

208 Comments

+ dlhdav7 on April 21st, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

@ darkhawk…… i think your right!!! i know who your thinking of!!!!

+ TheMortician4 on April 21st, 2011 at 6:26 am said:

So what am I paying for the plus service if I can’t even use it?

+ Autoxfool on April 21st, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

+ Autoxfool on April 20th, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

What I wrote was the system was down/cant log in…..just noting the time when I posted. BECAUSE I STILL CANT LOG IN!

And not one more word from SONY, ALMOST 12 HOURS LATER, to what the heck is going on or even when we might be able to log back in.

+ etur0 on April 21st, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

I can’t log in on my ps3, psp go or media go the blog is the only place where I can log in

+ jazzyrider on April 21st, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

More than a few hours later, I still can’t log in! wth is going with psn and sony???

+ VectorRaven on April 21st, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

Fix these issues already. You’re a billions of dollars corporation. Either hire some rouge computer folks or get your respond knowledge up. Also whenever we are upset about a topic NO ONE replies. No way to treat your fan base.

+ Dafreakzo on April 21st, 2011 at 6:58 am said:

“UPDATE – It seems Sony helpdesk employees have been sent the following email:

Hi,
Due to emergency maintenance all PlayStation®Network and Qriocity services including stores, account management, external auths and CST are currently unavailable since approx 5am GMT this morning.
We don’t yet have an estimated time as to when services will be restored but will provide further updates when they are available.”

+ PointBlank771 on April 21st, 2011 at 6:58 am said:

No problem. I’ll be on Xbox Live will PSN is down. I’m no expert by any means, but if you guys plan on releasing your next next gen system, I suggest you tight up and stream line PSN. Also, you need to start charging for service. I would gladly pay if it meant no problems.

+ VectorRaven on April 21st, 2011 at 7:03 am said:

@ pointblank771
Paying for the service or not paying at haul doesn’t mean much for live infrastructure. You act as if live is the end of it all. Live is P2P and filled with ads. If all Live games used a dedicated server then you’ll have a point. PSN is free and still time to time uses dedicated servers. Stop acting as if this happens all the time to the network. My beef is they need to corral this problem quickly and efficiently, plus stay in contact with your users and not just give vague robotic announcements.

+ BBDoII on April 21st, 2011 at 7:05 am said:

Wow! Took a few persons to bring down a big co. -.- I thought Sony has learnt the lesson well and beef up their security – maybe just my fantasy.

I rushed home from work not because I wanna see – An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PSN..

This is deeply depressing, blu-rays? games? but I want to spend $$$ on my new Sodium 2 personal space – I want that pink couch >.<

No comment about people who attacked, just say you have your views and I have mine. -.-

+ BBDoII on April 21st, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

Correction: Sodium Personal Space – Blasters Paradise! See how depressing I have got! >.<

+ RoddMorT on April 21st, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

I guess this is my chance to play single player offline games that I left behind for some online ones… ^^

+ Gogo_ZvC on April 21st, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

On the bright side:
- Beastie Boys – Make Some Noise

Who’s seen it!?!?!

+ FRANKMAN1 on April 21st, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

Sony update please? i wake up to play and cant log in now, i was able to play yesterday but now i get an instant error

+ SombraPR on April 21st, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

it wasn’t but now is affecting Connecticut since yesterday

+ ToFeY on April 21st, 2011 at 7:35 am said:

awwww man screw those hackers they have no lives >;[

+ sid4peeps on April 21st, 2011 at 7:37 am said:

Last night, everytime i would try to sign in, i would get a msg stating that AUTOMATICALLY ADDING FUNDS TO YOUR WALLET HAS FAILED and would kick me out…now today, nothing, just obscure error codes…

+ Kirkpad on April 21st, 2011 at 7:44 am said:

Anon is saying that officially, its not them. Could be other people who aren’t talking, or actually Sony related.

+ Bahamaboy on April 21st, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

it’d be funny if it was hackers. I believe however the sever just crashed.

+ Bahamaboy on April 21st, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

ok honestly though i’m buying socom 4 today so please fix this issue so the mp beta will work again asap

+ iKC-GRIDER on April 21st, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

over the ps3

+ iKC-GRIDER on April 21st, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

dont think the severs crashed i think its got something to do with hackers … dont buy socom bahamaboi rent it lol what im playing now

give it 4 out of 10

+ korgon117 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:05 am said:

Why are hackers so dumb? Do they really got nothing better to do than cause problems for other people just trying to live their lives? Go work for the FBI or something, don’t attack the PSN just because of some hacker court case. All you look like are a bunch of kids who didn’t get hugged enough times. And who do you think you are? Anonymous? What is this the third grade when your trying to come up with a name for your group in school? GROW UP AND LEAVE US ALONE! You don’t like Sony? Whatever go cry about it, just don’t make it difficult for the rest of us who just want to play some games!

+ Knightedrik on April 21st, 2011 at 8:06 am said:

@ iKC-Grinder

Wow, I totally agree.. 4/10. Portal 2 is pretty good though.

+ dA_dRuNkEn_OnE_ on April 21st, 2011 at 8:07 am said:

I tried going on this morning and im like wtf? Sadly i really can’t play many games because most of my games are online games. Now i have a good reason to start getting games with actual campaigns in it. Either way as long as its fixed tday im fine.

+ atone1382 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

Thanks for the update, as brief as it is lol. I have been having some issues the last week or so. Mainly it wont login to the psn at start, I have to sing in manually, usually twice in a row, for it to connect to the psn. Not really a big deal as in the end I am connected. Today though, can’t connect at all. I’ll keep checking back for an upadate!

+ Sponge-worthy on April 21st, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

Rumor has it that Sony has been keeping its PSN problems on the down-low since Anon started their attack thing–likely a case a wishful thinking…until yesterday when the PS Store was hacked, allowing for free purchases. At that point Sony took the whole thing offline.

+ xxnike629xx on April 21st, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

“We’re aware certain functions of PlayStation Network are down.”

Um. The entire PSN is down. Please stop trying to dumb it down for us since that’s insulting to us gamers and your clients who purchase your products and games.

I appreciate that you guys are working hard to fix this issues, but I have not been able to sign into the PS Store for about a week (give or take a few days) on my PSP. I haven’t tried my PS3 since I haven’t really felt like playing the PS3 these days, and I don’t have the money to get games I’ve been wanting to get like Mortal Kombat and Dead Space 2.

Really. What the heck is going on Sony?! This is ridiculous. It’s understandable if you have to do maintenance and it lasts about 24 hours at most, but it’s been about a week (give or take) and it’s still not working.

Have you guys been compromised by Anonymous? I have been keeping up with news and whatnot about them. Anonymous apparently shut down this blog, PS Store, PSN, etc a week or 2 ago but they stopped their attack saying something along the lines that they didn’t want to affect the gamers and simply were targeting you as a company.

I really hope this isn’t the case since you guys are losing a lot of potential money here.

+ xxnike629xx on April 21st, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

After the whole GeoHotz fiasco that you guys went through, it’s no surprise that there could possibly be some rogue hackers or whatever roaming the Internet and planning something as bad as an attack on you guys. I hope you guys fix this like today. It’s been far too long.

Or at the very least, please try to update us like every few hours instead of leaving us in the dark, hoping that things are back up and running again. It looks like you guys need some firmware updates for the PS3 (especially) and the PSP to prevent these hackers from messing up our games and you guys need a serious boost in security for your servers so that it isn’t as easily shut down, and if it is, it comes back sooner.

As a long time Sony gamer, this is a bit disappointing that you guys can’t get the online services back up and running within 24 ~ 48 hours. It’s been much longer than that, and I cringe each moment that passes that it still doesn’t work.

I hope that my investment I made with being a Sony gamer doesn’t turn out to be the wrong choice since I’ve been gaming mainly on a Sony system since the original PlayStation came out.

+ xxnike629xx on April 21st, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

But recently, with the PS3 era, you guys haven’t really been doing so well IMO. There have been too many negative press and a lot of people laughing at some of the things you guys do or tried to do like…

- denying the existence of the slim PS3 when photos were leaked and you guys took them down
- denying the existence of the PSP Go when photos were leaked and also taken down
- the PSP Go even being made… SCEJ confirmed that the PSP Go not being manufactured anymore. you guys shouldn’t have done the PSP Go and instead done a PSP-4000 with a matte finish (to match the slim PS3), improved screen, improved UMD drive, lower MSRP, bluetooth, and maybe a small storage capacity internally (like 5 GB or something).

+ xxnike629xx on April 21st, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

@Sponge-worthy
Oh wow. I didn’t hear about the PS Store being hacked and things were being downloaded for free.

o_O

I guess then that would make sense as to why they simply pulled the plug on the PS Store.
But why has Sony been so hush hush about it? I’m guessing it’s more of a PR thing where they didn’t want to look vulnerable and stupid in the eyes of its consumers (i.e. us gamers) and its competitors (i.e. Nintendo and Microsoft).

>_>

+ Ragnaroknight on April 21st, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

I think it has to do with the recently added Steam Features of Portal 2, i think it makes alot of sense when you think about it and Sony was not aware of the stress it would put on their servers. But that’s my theory, I really don’t a few “hackers” would really take down PSN or even want to, pissing off millions of people sure isn’t going to get any support for their “cause” which btw no one cares about anymore. So my guess is it’s the steam implementation.

+ duke301 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

I understand that Sony has problems with PSN at times, especially with these idiotic hackers messing around with them, buy my question is why do I have to be signed into PSN to be able to use Netflix? Doesn’t Netflix operate on their own server? Since one pays for Netflix separately, one shouldn’t be denied service because Sony can’t get their system straight.

+ dawn101 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

PSN OMG SURE SEEMS TO BE GETTING ALOT OF PPL UPSET FIX IT QUICK OR LOSE OUT

+ dawn101 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

SEEMS FUNNY I CANT SIGN IN ON PSN BUT I CAN WRITE A COMMENT IN THE BLOG

+ Freshwick on April 21st, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

This is complete BS… I hate to say it but I envy my friends and their Xbox right now at least they pay for a service that they can complain about.

Sony hides behind that lame excuse, “its free so don’t complain” GTFO… I would pay for it if prompted but that would mean sony would have to get its crap together first. I still can’t beleieve you picked a fight with a popular hacker then dropped the case…. Way to spit in the wind ?!

11 hours later and no update yet (80710A06) SMH… $130 for a game that I specifically wanted to play online (Mortal Kombat) yet I can’t even connect, what a joke

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

i wanted to play red dead redemption and no psn :(

+ dA_dRuNkEn_OnE_ on April 21st, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

I can’t wait till this ordeal is done. Half of my games r online games so i can’t even play.

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

they should tell us about stuff like this before… (exept if they are hacked now)

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

mine too

+ Johnmark on April 21st, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

this is probably caused by those people from anon. no one cares stop bothering the people who actually legally use your playstations. you lost to sony for doing something illegal so stop trying.

+ morris1129 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

This sucks….

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

(+ TheMortician4 on April 21st, 2011 at 6:26 am said:
So what am I paying for the plus service if I can’t even use it?)

OH CRAP

+ ToFeY on April 21st, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

my friends can’t login to PSN too :(
sony plz fix this problem ASAP

+ Sponge-worthy on April 21st, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

@xxnike629xx:

Like I said, it’s a rumor I happened across. But given that Sony has seemingly adopted an ‘everything is fine’ posture of late (see, emperor has no clothes) in regards to the PSN’s operability, it seems reasonable that only a catastrophic event would earn some actual acknowledgement from the company itself.

It could be a PR thing, as you say. For my part, it seems that ever since Kutaragi left and Hirai took over, the PSN has been handled by some folks with dusty old MBAs–who may not be best-suited to mod the community features of a cutting edge industry.

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

sony must improve the security in games too (like in MW2 there is hackers like in every 10th server)

+ UnholierThanThou on April 21st, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Didn’t have any trouble with it yesterday (4/20) but I can’t get on today (4/21). I’m sure Sony will have this resolved soon. I have complete faith that their team is better than some motley hackers.

Also, to ALL of you arguing over PS+ being about content and service: It has ALWAYS been about CONTENT, NOT SERVICE. It has been that way since day one when Jack Tretton made a blog post to clarify everything about the service, what it was and what it was for. PS+ has NO advantages over standard, free PSN service, it is merely a way to get more content, sooner and cheaper than those without it.

+ sindiewen on April 21st, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

Still going on the next day. Pretty annoying. Sony should have gotten this fixed by the next day.

C’mon sony, I want to sync my Trophies and gamesaves to my Steam account in Portal 2.

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

+ UnholierThanThou on April 21st, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

i had a problen yesterday but it was only for a minute or two

+ Weezy_F_187 on April 21st, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

sindiewen –
how
to sync your steam with PSN?