PS4-The Order

Update On PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Apr 22, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

543 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 11

+ VenomUK on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:27 am said:

Thank you to Sony for being honest with us. Can we have an estimated time for when the PSN returns?

These hackers and their ’cause’ is trivial and they have spoilt an Easter weekend of gaming for many. Just so silly. They have turned gamers against them.

+ pitythefool852 on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:28 am said:

I just really wish outside hackers would leave PSN alone.

I understand that people have their issues with Sony, but there’s absolutely no excuse for messing up PSN for everyone. If it really is Anon (or others) trying to send a message to Sony, they should stay away from the network and its consumers. If it’s people trying to cheat, or trying to get free stuff off PSN, then they should just pay like the rest of us.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Sony dudes. I suggest that you guys keep the lines of communication with your customers open, and give us an update, even if there isn’t much to say, every few hours. Gamers can be a fickle bunch, and they get quite noisy when they start complaining.

I personally just hope you can get PSN back to its normal stable self, and everyone can forget about this whole thing.

+ Wiiman1225 on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:31 am said:

I don’t like hackers. I would be on my PS3 BUT…..I haven’t got a good game to play on yet (Portal 2 is in the post). If it is Anon or any other hacker group, They need get a life. They are only hurting us in return and they’re not helping us.

Sony, please get PSN back up before my Portal 2 copy arrives. By the way, Can you active the PC before activating Stream with your PSN?

+ fatjoe400 on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:42 am said:

@58

Muffin Button

Seriously I hope this issue will be resolved soon :(

+ Movie_Profile on April 23rd, 2011 at 2:47 am said:

To be honest, on some basic level, I’d love to hackthese hackers to send them a message not to mess with the PSN fanbase. I don’t mean something as simple as sending them a virus, but something even heftier – something along the lines of lowering their credit ratings, giving them long criminal records (all Class B flonies or higher), havingfake Felony warrants issued for them, etc…. basically having them scared S#!7less. Unfortunately, for better or worse, I don’t have the know-how to do that,but one can dream though!

+ shadefz on April 23rd, 2011 at 3:00 am said:

well its back to reading and finishing my research then..

+ Omar07-08 on April 23rd, 2011 at 3:05 am said:

It really boring playing ps3 offline

+ Enforcer_X on April 23rd, 2011 at 3:50 am said:

This is a good test of digital distribution DRM for when the network inevitably is closed for good.
You won’t be able to ever download your content again or activate another machine to play it on, even some physical games won’t allow offline play.

+ dA_dRuNkEn_OnE_ on April 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 am said:

Man i was looking forward to my weekend and then the PSN is down :( I swear to god those hackers should really get punished for what they did if it was them. Although the PSn being down finally made me play Single Player and im like almost done in Uncharted 2 (Plat. Trophy soon) :D Still f*** those hackers if it was them.(Which it probably is)

+ k1llabeastie on April 23rd, 2011 at 4:25 am said:

Just finished Uncharted 2 on crushing, thanks Anonymous for giving me some offline time! :)

+ dlhdav7 on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:00 am said:

well we won’t see online in till Monday!!but you have to look at the brite side of this !! yawl can practice!!cause you all suck at gaming!!! my grandma is better at gaming!!!!!

+ explosive78 on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:09 am said:

Hope when this comes back up the security is reinforced to stop this from happening in the future. Or at least back up servers.

+ DiamondAces on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:12 am said:

Thanks for the Update.

+ DJ_DTM on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

Got my Tron platnum in 1 day, good game, NEXT!!
Watch this video, should keep you all busy for 12 mins.
bye bye MAG & COD lol
OMG

+ igorrocks2 on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:18 am said:

it mya be up today folks

+ Unseen_Soul on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:48 am said:

it’s amazing how mad people get over nothing

+ JonJonXD on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:48 am said:

This has made me pretty sad….I’m pretty sick of using my Wii for netflix :/

+ lyfestory on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:59 am said:

plenty of good games you can all play without needing the PSN… part of exactly why i didnt care about internet access on a console… some Joe Blow hater out there decides to be smart and mess with everyone’s gaming time… they arent hurting Sony so much as they are hurting the gamers they are supposed to be helping with their nonsense…

I’ll stick to the internet gaming on PC…

+ Ragnaroknight on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:01 am said:

Like i’m not one to complain about this but in defense of some people, maybe they can’t go outside, maybe it’s raining, maybe it’s like it is where i live, 35 degrees in the middle of April and raining, going outside, no thanks. So i’d ask if people could stop saying that, but regardless you could still, Watch TV, play single player, draw, go on the internet, listen to music, ect.

+ phinnv8 on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

What a letdown Sony is this generation with PSN. Xbox Live blows it away even if its $50-60/year. If only Sony listened to PS Blog Share.

+ Vandaliser on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:21 am said:

Sony needs to hire competent engineers and programmers. They need to tell sony japan to start working with their counterparts in america and europe. Sony japan really seems clueless about both their firmware and network operations.

This is why hackers go into DEV PSN and bought PSN games using fake credit cards. This is why the ps3 was hacked in the first place. SOny japan are just amateurs.

+ CaptenMidnite on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:36 am said:

You guys are suppose to be the best. WTF?

+ Ragnaroknight on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:38 am said:

Are you people really this mad about this? Have gamers really lost this much integrity? Whatever Happened to playing Super Mario World for days on end? Playing Goldeneye 4-Player SplitScreen on a 20 inch CRT display? Playing through the single player before even touching the online? I have friends on my friendslist who only have 1-3 trophies and apparently only own 1 game (Black-Ops). I don’t see how people can go out buy a game and hop right online and ignore everything else, Will someone please tell me what has happened to gamers? or are you all going to ignore this, go back to complaining and try to blame your boredom on someone?

P.S. I can’t believe people are considering Dishing out $300 for an Xbox just to play online for a weekend.

+ wrestlemaniac4 on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:48 am said:

any news on when it will be back up. i had bought a psn $20 card and wat tr4ying to load it when all this went down and i wanna make sure i didnt loose the money.

+ datastorm98632 on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:49 am said:

ok I admit I was wrong, it was a n external intrusion. So How Much Data did they get? Was our information compromised? What if the situation can not be remedied?

Is our Personal Data Safe?

+ MireilleCO on April 23rd, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

This sorta sucks, because I would love to be able to use Hulu Plus… I’m a PSN+ subscriber and I’m a little miffed, but I suppose it’s fine. I have an Xbox and Tivo to watch Netflix so that’s fine, but only my PS3 plays Hulu Plus. And for everyone saying go outside, as others have said, for people with disabilities, that’s not such a simple option, not to mention people who got Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat this week looking forward to playing online this weekend. It sucks that the service is down, I trust the network engineers are doing their best to get it back up, and I hope everyone missing the service will find something else to bide their time until it’s back.

+ Boots555 on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:01 am said:

This was the worst time to do this, with the long weekend and all. I used to side with Anonymous, I feel they have the right to do what they want to their own machines, but this is stupid. Now this stunt effected me, I have no respect for the group.

Sony need to get their [DELETED] together,

+ Lapwner on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:03 am said:

@200 – Yeah whenever I buy a game I ALWAYS play the single player first before I get into multiplayer. I could easily live for a week or two without online, but I’d like to check to PS Store, or send messages to my friends, etc.

Besides, these past 2 days have been great for me… I’ve been owning in Fallout and Oblivion :D

+ stargateheaven on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

I know it’s unlikley that it’s GeoHotz… lol

+ DeathGazer on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:05 am said:

Hope you guys fix this soon. I don’t want PSN to disappear without warning ever again.

And hackers are the scum of the earth. Hope you d-bags had your fun, now people who actually pay for their games have to suffer.

+ datastorm98632 on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:09 am said:

This should Help clear t things up a bit.

Sony’s battled with the hacker “activist” group Anonymous recently due to how the company handled a modder who hacked the PlayStation 3. In addition to denial of service attacks against Sony’s networks, the company’s executives and their families were allegedly targeted by at least some members of the loosely organized hacking group, according to reports.

The group claims it is not responsible for the PlayStation Network’s woes but acknowledges some of its members could have acted independently. Regardless, with the PlayStation Network still offline, Sony PS3 customers can’t play online games or buy downloadable entertainment, including games, movies and other content.

+ datastorm98632 on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:14 am said:

Well this is indeed making its rounds to the news media..CNN, MSNBC and others are soon going to Cover this event. and I am not sure why it wouldn’t make major news..this is a big event.

+ xxnike629xx on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:17 am said:

It sucks how Sony still hasn’t gotten this fixed…

I’ve been unable to get on PSN or the PS Store from my PSP-3000 and my PS3 250 GB model for over a week now.

+ Da_xavier on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:20 am said:

Also you guys can watch Neflix without PSN. Log into your netflix. It will say log into ur PSN do it the Ongoing mait mesaage will come up hit ok it will go back and Netflix will load up im on Netflix right now lol all it needs is to recognize you have a internet connection,

+ xxnike629xx on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

@Da_xavier
I doubt many people care about Netflix at this moment. People want to access the PS Store to get some DLC and add-ons for their games (PSP and PS3 included) and play their games online, sync up to the server for trophies they get, etc.

+ datastorm98632 on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

At this point, the outage has lasted for over 48 hours and has become quite a disaster for Sony.
Now, if this were in fact the result of denial-of-service attacks, it’s hard to place the blame entirely on Sony. Few networks can defend against large-scale DDoS attackst. Sony has known since Wednesday night that there was an intrusion, so I find it odd that it would wait for two days to inform its users — and remove a post from its EU blog early Thursday saying that the outage is a result of “targeted behaviour by an outside party”.

All in all, the company’s public relations strategy is, at the least, very confusing.
For the sake of the company — and its users — a higher frequency of communication and level of transparency has to be achieved. In today’s world, a company can’t allow its official announcements to go without an update for 24 hours. Especially when 70 million people are affected.
simply Put, Sony, You need to communicate better as your business depends on it and your Consumers have the “Right to Know”

+ t_tocs on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:37 am said:

I’m all for people taking frustrations out in a proper way, but when it begins to hurt innocent bystanders then you are doing something wrong. Annonymous was supposed to have called off their “attack” or at least that’s what ars technica was reporting. In the end, only the gamers are hurt by this.

+ Chaoschick on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:41 am said:

As a DC Universe Online customer, I’m displeased to find the network still down. I understand things take time to fix so that another error doesn’t occur but membership for the game itself is definitely not cheap and I’m concerned as to what will be done about the days we couldn’t use the game due to this. Will they be replaced? Or could we possibly get an additional month free for this inconvenience? There are also other games I would like to play online as well as sync trophies but unfortunately cannot – seems to me like Sony needs to step up on their game a little bit.

+ Movie_Profile on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:44 am said:

@xxnike629 – Not to mention that there’s PS3 games that require to be signed into PSN to use them, either because they’re multiplayer only, or in some cases (like Final Fight: Double Impact & Bionic Commando Rearmed 2) due to how the DRM is set up. Some of my favorite games are unplayable because of this.

+ I1ULUZ on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

Sony a comment about our CC info that is stored on your system would be helpful knowing if we need to watch our bills to make sure there are no unauthorized charges from this breach.

+ NeoX360 on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

I can’t believe this is still down. I made the mistake of replacing my Hard Drive a few days ago and restoring the backup and now I am unable to play any store content as my PS3 needs to be reactivated. Dead in the water. So this is affecting more then just online play as all my downloaded games are now in trial mode or don’t function at all as the case with my PS1 games.

Arrg…

+ anderpants on April 23rd, 2011 at 7:57 am said:

Sucks that it’s down. Hackers suck. Hope it get’s restored soon. Can’t be too upset though about a free service.. PS+ members and DCUO subscribers (I’m in both of those groups) are losing out a little, but I have to admit that it’s forcing me to play some of the offline games that I haven’t touched in a while.

Almost forgot how good the Fallout games are.

Keep working away at it Sony, and I hope the losers who have attacked will get what’s coming to them.

+ Heavenly_king on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:01 am said:

GO SONY!!! KICK HACKER A$$!!! XD

+ Autoxfool on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

Are we there yet? :)

+ ChrissyJess5 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

turn Playstation network on now, you [DELETED]!

+ CeroDouble on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

This is just unbelievable, over 48 hours and still not an ETA in when will the service go online again.

+ zabelzerolp on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO It’s still out of Service. keep at it Sony keep working hard . I know you guys will fix this problem. Thanks

+ ClaudiusCaesar on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

I hope Sony is taking its time to beef up PSN’s security for this not happen again.

+ Justp94 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

Dear Sony,

Like I said on the previous blog statement, you should hire a bunch of Snipers and Assassinate everyone of these Anonymous Hackers. You’re a big Corporation with the money and power to do so, so why not just end our misery and kill those B********!!!!

+ xxnike629xx on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

@datastorm98632
I agree man. Sony is having some horrible Public Relations issue that is trying to hide the facts. I also know that it’s very difficult to secure a network system from a large enough DDoS attack. I hope that Sony learns from this, and significantly invests in some resources (time, money, man hours) towards rebuilding a more robust security system for their network so that it’s stable, secure, and doesn’t have to resort to such long-term outages.

They’ve managed to piss off all PS3 & PSP users across the globe (US, Japan, Europe, etc). The thing that makes it worse is how infrequently they update on through the blogs and the things they post up is really nothing besides ‘Oh we’re gonna fix it in like 2 days possibly…maybe…we don’t know.” kind of crap.

Really. That’s very insulting.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 11