Driveclub

Latest Update for PSN/Qriocity Services

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Apr 23, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

610 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 13

+ Samanosuke_JJ on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

Take your time Sony, I’m enjoying my time playing Persona 4! :).

+ FRANKMAN1 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

Well PSN is not coming soon from what i see. Just what i wanted to know….

+ kenny-1995 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

15. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
No warranty is given about the quality, functionality, availability or performance of Sony Online Services, or any content or service offered on or through Sony Online Services. All services and content are provided “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” with all faults. SCEA does not warrant that the service and content will be uninterrupted, error-free or without delays. In addition to the limitations of liability in Sections 1, 2, 11 and 13 of this Agreement, SCEA expressly disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability, warranty of fitness for a particular purpose and warranty of non-infringement. SCEA assumes no liability for any inability to purchase, access, download or use any content, data or service

+ McZilla on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

this is off topic a bit but i just tried the browser on my PS3 and it is working quite well. Is CracklE(it’s on) new?
Maybe I should try using this browser more often. By the way thanks for the update

+ rasengan360 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

i had a feeling they were rebuilding it

+ anderpants on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

Sony doesn’t owe anyone anything… They did us all a favor by taking down PSN, unless you guys who are complaining are okay with allowing your gaming network to be infiltrated and subjugated by hackers? You should be thanking Sony for taking care of this problem.

Oh, and by the way, PS+ users (I’m one too) paid $49.99/year (or possibly for 15 months) which equals about $0.14 per day… so if you want compensated, it’s been what? 4 days? Would a credit for a weeks worth make you happy? All $0.98 worth?

Let them do their work to get it back online, and hopefully there will be considerably more security added so that we don’t have to experience this again.

Keep up the good work Sony!!!

+ MoneyMaker110 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

i’m guessing they shut down psn to protect and secure personal info also because i was able to update socom 4 today and some games i hadn’t played on my slim yet since it’s been down.

+ thunderbear on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

@iTofuMan: How can you be confused? They have been working non-stop since this started, but they have to be careful when and how much information they let out. This is a complicated issue and imagine the rage if they got it up again only for it to go down a day later again? People don’t understand that this is only hurting Sony and they are doing everything they can to restore the service. Blame the hackers who are doing this, not Sony.

+ OldKai on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

Hahahaha. $25/$50? Are you f***ing serious? How old are you?

+ B-Real206 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:33 pm said:

Thanks kenny-1995, I’ve been posting this everywhere I can. It should be posted at the top of every comment page so the kids will stop crying about what Sony now owes them. Compensation is not needed or wanted a more secure system is!

+ BlindMango on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:34 pm said:

Thanks for the updates and being clear an honest as to what’s actually going on, hopefully rebuilding the infrastructure and security wont take much longer but it’s not all bad because I along with everyone else commenting has stories they can finish in other games, trophies to get, and a bunch of other stuff they can do. You’re gamers, and online play is JUST one of the good things about gaming so use your time for some single-player, there’s always SOMETHING to do offline on your PS3!

+ B-Real206 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

@58 OldKia I said the same thing Hahaha

+ beowulfdemon666 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

gah

+ zekececil14 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

The time at which they update us is consistant. How exactly do you re-build a system? Will it run smoother? Oh boy, that gave me something to hope for. I wonder how long it will take exactly? Well, I guess we’ll find out in their next update at 8:00 PST tomorrow.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

Take the needed time and make it worth it

I honestly love gaming (as my gf can testify to that) and to see cowards trying to damage the work of hard working folk at SCE really bothers me.

Down with the hackers, Up to the hard working men and women

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

Never buying ANYTHING off the PSN ever again. Congrats sony. You’ve failed big time.

+ tonydamiani on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

+ iTofuMan on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

But how do we know hackers are truly to blame? no where is Sony post for “Anon” website have any of them stated Hackers did this. plus a lot of other things happened this week that may be to blame. like the Steam-Ps3 feature.

I was only confused because at least the way i interpret this post as if they only now decided to work on the problem. which wouldn’t be too surprising since i know a lot of companies (Sony included) that wait till the last minute to actually do something about the problem.

If it is Hackers that pretty pathetic of them, but since neither one of them want to come out and say whose to blame we (the consumers) are left in the dark. which seems to always be that way.

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

my trigger finger is getting too much rest. It must be exersised on the field of battle against some other random person.

All I want is to do is play with my mates.

ANY TIME NOW PLEASE

+ Sophronia on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

Hang in there everyone! I know how badly you want PSN to return, and it will. (This is bugging me too!)

+ Kartik21 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

Its cool Sony. We love you.

+ zekececil14 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

Yes, i’m bringing this up:
THREE CHEERS FOR RE-BUILDING IT WITH X-CHAT INTEGRATION, HIP, HIP……anyone?

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:43 pm said:

hope it comes back up tomorrow. My weekend is almost over…again

+ ZERO_169 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:43 pm said:

lol x-chat would be nice. but its not going to happen

+ BanzaiHeil on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

Geez, still no ETA?

And to those that want “compensation,” get over yourselves. You haven’t lost anything, so there is no compensation to give. The only tthing Sony needs to do is get things going again, more securely than before, and perhaps delay when the latest Plus offers come down, since we haven’t been able to access them for the entire normal amount of time.

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

I dought anything new will be added.

They are most likely throwing up about 50 more firewals, several 200+ bit passwords that recycle every second, and some other stuff I am not think of.

+ fuzzyclutter on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

that’s cool…gotta do what ya gotta do i guess . doesn’t make me any happier , but… it will be back … and better . and to anonymous ….. SUCK IT , you hypocritical pigs . you think your so damned much better than the things you protest against … i’ll take everything your against rather than you anyday . stop being a pimple on the (bleep) end of society and just get lost already .

+ Razeluxe on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:46 pm said:

Thanks for the update. Well back to the Viao and play Latale :D

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:47 pm said:

on a lighter note, just picked up killzone 3, halfway through story on elite

+ pizzaboy53 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:48 pm said:

im sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored/po/to/mo sony. I don’t want a update if your just saying the same thing every single day for three days i would rather have a message that says when it will be working not thank you for our patience cause i dout people are being cool about psn being down on a holiday vaction.O_O pizza

+ rafael_martines on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

The Life Before George Hotz was so good! really and all of this started because SONY removed the OtherOS option from PS3… really guys, you buy a console to play games, if you have money to buy a PS3 you can buy a PC and install Linux. C’mon

+ Sponge-worthy on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

PlayStation Universe has some interesting info from a purported source at SCEE describing the nature of the attack.

+ vignesh428 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

Stop blaming Sony god Sony gave a free network be happy for that and they are rebuilding it for us so there system will be safe and psn will less likely have another outage

Blame the hackers

+ jayson-b1 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

my dragon age 2 just updating??

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:52 pm said:

I do not mean to bah on 360, but they have to pay. we do not.
That is one of the main reasons I chose play station in the first placeSONY is doing the best they can while doing it as efficiently and speedily as possible. I personally doing all three of those at once is not easy.

+ exterminator_123 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:52 pm said:

LETS GO LETS GOOO BUY A XBOX 360 WITH KINET LOL

+ vignesh428 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:53 pm said:

Meanwhile i am playing zombies or playing split screen with tdm versing the CPU by adding players it is basically like combat training but it doesn’t need psn

Good luck sony

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:53 pm said:

you can still update stuf. I just updated my killzone 3 a few hours ago.

+ Paraplegic on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

I find it amusing how some of you react to this; “Narrow down the timeframe”, “Fix it faster!”, etc… I’m curious. Those of you that are berating Sony, have you rebuilt a network infrastructure? Have you done so for a network that is at the scale of Sony’s? I’m going to assume your answer is “No Para, we haven’t”.

On a side note, thanks for the update Sony.

+ jayson-b1 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:57 pm said:

everyone add this guy named jayson-b1 he’s cool

+ Verios44 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:58 pm said:

I have many friends who are computer network engineers. who have worked for big companies like Boeing, At and T, and one worked in the Pentagon.

Constructing and maintaining a network is not easy. Even if you have redundant back ups, a chain reaction could still cause those redundancies to fail as well as your primaries.

+ dnguyen18717 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:58 pm said:

good to kno… but still man =__=’
WHY THIS WEEKEND!? WHEN I FINALLY HAVE TIME!!

+ D-Squad3 on April 23rd, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

Does this have anything with Steam and Portal 2? I mean isn’t it kinda weird that PSN went down after Sony supported Steam? Well I think this is the first time there has been a post on the blog on a weekend which is pretty cool.

+ Swordfish64 on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:02 pm said:

Thank God the singleplayer mode for Socom 4 is awesome, but Im still fiending for that mp and coop! Double your efforts and get this network up ASAP!

+ LilRick110 on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:05 pm said:

I was able to get on PSN for a little while on Wednesday but then it went down again. I know these things happen but the sucky thing is I bought MLB 11 on Sunday and haven’t been able to go online with it since Tuesday. I had went online with it twice but after that the network went back down. I got the online rosters and tried Challenge of the week. but that’s it.

+ K1773r37f on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:06 pm said:

I don’t expect compensation. And I would rather them take the time to build a more secure and robust system.

But the things that do annoy me are that I have a new game that I can’t play because of the DRM male bovine excrement that requires PSN access to activate. DRM is brain dead BS. And the communication is too infrequent and next to use less when it is released.

An ERTS (Or ETA as others have put it) is essential information, especially in respect to an extended outage. It helps to set customers expectation.

Not knowing is what is aggravating. That, and not even being able to play this new game even in single player mode because of stupid DRM Bu77 $h!+.

In the meantime, I have earned two trophies in Resistance 2.

And nah, Y’all haven’t seen me even on the online games yet. ‘Cause I just got my PS3 three weeks back. I was just now gettin’ good ’nuff at Resistance 2 that I wouldn’t feel like a complete fool going online.

+ ZERO_169 on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:06 pm said:

Hey I know. Maybe, just maybe, instead of complaining about the psn being down you could go and spend some time with your family over this Easter break.

+ iTofuMan on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:07 pm said:

@ D-Squad

Thats what i was thinking too. that seems like the only logical reason as to why this is happening. People just like to jump on bandwagons and think its easier to just let hackers be to blame.

+ ShadowOfEden on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:07 pm said:

I had the time to finish the whole coop campaign of Portal 2 by myself with two controllers. The other game I’m playing these days is Patapon 3 and it’s totally unbalanced in single player. I want to go online. :(

+ rhcooper on April 23rd, 2011 at 9:08 pm said:

My only issue with this so far is that the Netflix app insists on a PSN account to be online to activate. I’ve heard if you just ignore that non stop it goes to a secondary, but no such luck.

This is on Netflix though, not Sony. Although they probably can’t fix the app to NOT have to be on PSN without first getting ON TO PSN. So… whatever.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 13