PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

May 02

May 02

PlayStation Network Security Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

On Tuesday, April 26 we shared that some information that was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. Once again, we’d like to apologize to the many users who were inconvenienced and worried about this situation.

We want to state this again given the increase in speculation about credit card information being used fraudulently. One report indicated that a group tried to sell millions of credit card numbers back to Sony. To my knowledge there is no truth to this report of a list, or that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list.

One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form. For a description of the difference between encryption and hashing, follow this link.

To reiterate a few other security measures for your information: Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

We continue to work with law enforcement and forensic experts to identify the criminals behind the attack. Once again, we apologize for causing users concern over this matter.

Our objective is to increase security so our customers can safely and confidently play games and use our network and media services. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 9

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

May 2nd, 10:05 am

huh?!

Akimitsu782 said:

May 2nd, 10:06 am

Good job keeping us updated.

Lance_Akiro said:

May 2nd, 10:08 am

and the comments die down (finally)

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

May 2nd, 10:11 am

very nice password encryption method :D
but i still want my PSN back! lol

DZORMAGEN said:

May 2nd, 10:12 am

OK so when will PSN go live? Can Sony ever have a date for anything?

PaperCarrier said:

May 2nd, 10:15 am

Though they said we’ll get a security firmware update and be required a mandatory password change in order to continue using the PSN services?

pitythefool852 said:

May 2nd, 10:15 am

Thanks for keeping us updated.

There’s a lot of rumour, speculation and nonsense floating around on the interwebs, and some of it is even trickling in to mainstream news sites too. The problem is, as soon as it hits these sites it’s considered “fact” by the readers. Nothing generates clicks more than a bit of “credit card fraud” and “your information up-for-sale online” fear mongering.

I know it’s normally not good to comment on rumours, but right now, in the current environment, I think it’s good to see you guys following up on everything rather than just ignoring what people say.

Anyway, good luck with getting everything back to normal. I never realised how much I’d miss the online functionality of the PS3 until it was suspended. Hopefully it’ll be back soon

pitythefool852 said:

May 2nd, 10:17 am

@DZORMAGEN

Uncharted 3 has a good date

1-Nov-2011

Patiently waiting :)

Kartik21 said:

May 2nd, 10:17 am

Informative post

EatDeath said:

May 2nd, 10:19 am

Those rumors are spreading like wildfire on popular sites, good thing this blogs keeps things in check

RedHarlow said:

May 2nd, 10:21 am

I can’t join the Socom.com forums. Please fix it.

androvsky said:

May 2nd, 10:24 am

It’s always sad when you have to issue an extra statement just to cover the bad reporting. Looking forward to seeing how Kotaku screws up reporting this one… :/

pitythefool852 said:

May 2nd, 10:26 am

@RedHarlow

I’m assuming that the Socom.com forums will start working again when PSN is turned back on. The Socom.com forums, as well as the PlayStation forums and this blog use PSN for login. If you were not already signed in before PSN was suspended, I guess that you won’t be able to log in now.

Once PSN is back, everything should be ok

CaruthK said:

May 2nd, 10:26 am

Can’t wait GT5 i’m waiting to play

AwardTour said:

May 2nd, 10:28 am

Please just gives us a solid date!

SirTrigalot said:

May 2nd, 10:31 am

Thanks for the updates

ToRllQue said:

May 2nd, 10:32 am

Are we going to be able to change other aspects of our profiles that we were previously not allowed to after the initial sign up process?

As in, our security questions and answers. Considering this information was also leaked it does not seem feasible to just change my password; as the person/persons in questions have all information needed to just steal the account back or take it all together.

I’ve already had to go through an extensive process of protecting myself because of this leak. And I have already had unauthorized charges show up on my cards, but at this time can’t be proven to be related to this incident.

So, Mr. Seybold, please answer this simple question for me.

Patrick Seybold's Avatar

Patrick Seybold said:

May 2nd, 2:50 pm

Those security questions will not be used. As an added layer of security, the password can only be reset on the hardware in which it was created, or through a validated email confirmation. If necessary, Customer Service representatives have alternative methods of validating accounts, but the primary means will be through the console on which the account was created.

megalodonshark said:

May 2nd, 10:32 am

thank you for the update.
seems people are always going to try to terrorize others in any way they feel they can.

Vandaliser said:

May 2nd, 10:37 am

sony, for me to trust you again, you have to take all measures to stop hacked ps3s from accessing the network and banning these consoles permanently and forcefully without any hesitation.

Mr_Evo said:

May 2nd, 10:37 am

Thanks for the update Sony. I am looking forward to two things……

1. That these lowlifes are caught and fully punished
2. That we can all return to what we love best, playing games on the PlayStation platform

Ramage said:

May 2nd, 10:38 am

Glad to see this post. Good points to reiterate all around. Cleartext, Hash, Encryption…all good basics to know in todays world.

Still…when can I get back to playing online?

jazzyrider said:

May 2nd, 10:41 am

So my main concern on an update is *when* PSN is backup ! Please nail down an exact date….

KazeEternal said:

May 2nd, 10:42 am

@Patrick Seybold

You guys are kind of dropping the ball on the accuracy of the information. It’s like getting a players guide that only tells you about important items AFTER you’ve completed an area you can’t get back too. In the future you guys may want to have your security guys to give us the complete run down on how these things were coded in the first place. I was livid when I heard the passwords weren’t at least encrypted, telling me it was Hashed would have made a world of difference. Otherwise you’ve done an awesome job staying on top of things and keeping us up to date given what you’ve had to work with, thank you.

Now the question I have to ask is, were any of our security questions HASH’ed as well? This information is just as important as the password as it comes with a reset factor for the password.

BTW why do you guys recommend we change our passwords?….. HASHing is a one way algorithm, you’re not supposed to be able to pull that password out again. Unless you guys are doing something funky in handling the delivery of that password to your systems.

i_like_toast said:

May 2nd, 10:45 am

i would like to link my portal 2 account already :( and try out DW7 online…hope you guys are able to get everything sorted out…but i’m finally not working 70 hours a week ;p

pickupdoctor said:

May 2nd, 10:50 am

Not yet, comments are dying down because users cookies are expiring on their machines. For some reason mine keeps going and going.

I hope PSN is back this week, on side not I have been enjoying Single Player campagins a lot. Finished Batman now working on Fallout 3, with updated 1.61 (Wow they had to fix a lot of bugs in that game) 61 updates really, but I love the game, I will give them 6 more months to fix New Vegas and will buy that too.

pitythefool852 said:

May 2nd, 10:54 am

My EU Blog cookie is already gone, it seems…. but I’m alive and well on the US Blog on two separate computers :)

I really hope no-one presses my logout button this week.

Christian399 said:

May 2nd, 10:57 am

@24. They’re not dropping the ball, the media are taking the most overblown, negative connotations on ALL the available information and speculation and then just publishing it without any sort of waiting for clarification or fact-checking.

IGN and Eurogamer are among the worst offenders. The behaviour of these “journalists” has been school-yard at best.

Patrick, what you need to do is start firing back at these slanderous outlets who beat on Sony for kicks and clicks. Blacklist them, pull your advertising spreads. Why advertise on IGN when they smear and create hyperbole for you at every possible opportunity? Seems like a waste of money and common sense to me.

Christian399 said:

May 2nd, 10:57 am

Uh, yeah, that was supposed to be “@22” :) My bad.

pitythefool852 said:

May 2nd, 11:03 am

I was just thinking, as everyone is getting free PlayStation Plus, it’s going to be quite a good opportunity to show off those automatic downloads…

…I mean, there’s bound to be a few security downloads and firmware updates over the coming month. I think people will be quite impressed to see how Plus handles downloads, as long as Sony make sure that they time the updates properly so that Plus picks them up before people turn on their PS3s.

Skater_Ricky said:

May 2nd, 11:04 am

That’s for the update. And the apologies are welcomed and the clarification is a plus.

NeoX360 said:

May 2nd, 11:10 am

Thanks for the update. According to the report the list of CC numbers for sale contained CCV codes and previously Sony had mentioned that CCV codes were not used or stored. I have read other reports that suggest CCV codes are used in the PSN Store. Can you please clarify this?

Thanks!

ShadowDoGGG said:

May 2nd, 11:14 am

I feel like a cartman quote coming along…

You could at least put on some lip stick before you… (yeah you know the rest Sony)

Syrlis said:

May 2nd, 11:18 am

thanks for clearing that up. hope you guys added additional servers for when psn goes live again. nothing like crashing the network with 10 million people all trying to sign-in in the same hour to ruin your day lol.

korgon117 said:

May 2nd, 11:19 am

I never believed that bogus story in the first place anyway. Anyways, a question for the next Q&A, about the email verification process. How is this going to be handled? Will we get an email with some questions to answer, or are we going to need to email Sony for it or what? I understand it is an alt. option to the update on your system one, I just don’t quite understand what the process is. Please clarify as soon as possible for my current system is not my original system. Thanks for all you do!

Lopez9577 said:

May 2nd, 11:20 am

Who cares sony you said these before and we already know you effed up , all we want is our online back so move your butts

Zinacef said:

May 2nd, 11:22 am

Sony, stop continually reopening our wounds with this drivel.

triple_lei said:

May 2nd, 11:23 am

This oughtta shut them trolls up.

Autoxfool said:

May 2nd, 11:24 am

I just want to see the blog post that says PSN is online again. :/ We basically know everything else at this point. Just re-hashing (and clarifying) the same stuff over and over. Mind numbing.

And I want to see if the trophies that disappeared will re-appear once I am able to sync. Busy busy busy, trying to bust out some that i really don’t like to play (like the Sonic Genesis Collection….I prefer new games, is for kids but they never play it. pfft….will plat someday then sell back).

Anyways, hope everyone had a good single player weekend. :)

that-acmilan-guy said:

May 2nd, 11:24 am

Still no date?

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

May 2nd, 11:24 am

i think they were running out of PS+ contnent. that’s why they shuted down the entire playstation network.
and created all this “masquerade” xD

sTONY420024 said:

May 2nd, 11:31 am

give us a date sony at least an estimated start date

Lopez9577 said:

May 2nd, 11:33 am

I almost have my sly 2 Platinum then will work on 3, Sony Im gonna need online Pronto

PaperCarrier said:

May 2nd, 11:35 am

First PSN goes down and now SOE get’s hit and had to completely shut down due to “issues that they are investigating”.

CaptTM said:

May 2nd, 11:36 am

Thanks for the update =D

Gerry_the_Veg said:

May 2nd, 11:37 am

WHERE IS PSN?!! AND WHEN WILL IT COME BACK?!! IS IT STILL SET FOR TOMORROW MAY 3RD?!!! WHATS GOING ON PATRICK! YOU ALWAYS LIE AND CHANGE THE DATES FROM ” 2 DAYS TO WITHIN THIS WEEK” … THIS POST MAKES IT SOUND LIKE ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

BEASTXJASON said:

May 2nd, 11:41 am

If it takes another week its fine with me. The safer the better. All I want at this point is to see the hackers punished.

phatso64 said:

May 2nd, 11:45 am

looking forward to getting back on Home , keep us updated and thanks (:

i_like_toast said:

May 2nd, 11:52 am

CAPS LOCK LETS YOU KNOW I’M SERIOUS GUYS.

Calm down buddy, it will be up when it’s up. Things take time and it takes more time to do it right. Sony has a lot of eyes on them and they need to be 100% sure when it’s back up it’s safe or they are going to lose more face then they can likely recover from.

Yes it’s an annoyance, but this is far from the end of the world. There are plenty of great single player games out there among other ways to occupy the day.

Carl-G said:

May 2nd, 11:58 am

Can the person who done this be the FBI’s most wanted now??? :D

Hopefully by the end of this week PSN will be back;)

Av3ngd12345 said:

May 2nd, 12:03 pm

will PSN be back online tomorrow cuz i wanna play online soooo freaking bad!!!!!

PAGE 1 2 3 9