PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Service Restoration Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on May 06, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.

As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.

When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.

333 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:02 am said:

“…we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system.” — Patrick Seybold

Really? Another BS message of expecting the PSN to be back up within a week? You said that last week.

>_>

Is Sony really thinking that it’s ok to keep telling us next week…? WTF?

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:03 am said:

You know what I think we should get. Sony should add $1 to everyone’s PSN wallet for every day the PSN has been down. That might give them incentive to actually get it up and running.

+ SeanScythe on May 7th, 2011 at 6:03 am said:

Oh come the F*&K on!! I’ve been understanding and not complaining at all but this is just over kill. We haven’t had service in weeks and you tells us this week but now it’s not. Brink comes out next week, not to mention all the other games I have that I can’t play online. Get this fixed, also after this you guys better be planning to add new stuff to the PSN sooner rather then later. I’m talking about X-game Chat, larger storage space for cloud service, just read some of the things we want in the idea blog and do that. But fix the damn PSN and hurry!

+ obiadekanobi1980 on May 7th, 2011 at 6:05 am said:

You guys need to start to talk to us guys on here this is making ppl lose faith there hasnet been a reply to a single post for about a week now and its starting to look like this blog is a ghost town, no game previews,no DLC news no firstplay, no film news, its getting really bad for sony as ppl will only wait for so long and all that catching up in sales you guys achived is goingto mean squat if this goes on any longer i wonder how many ppl have actually traded there ps3 and bought a 360 were human after all if we love to do somthing(online gaming..) and we cant do it on one thing we will look for another way of getting our something, its human nature,

so if this goes on much longer, like being ignored on the blog, having the same post over and over again but reworded to sound diffrent, being given dates and then not meeting that deadline,

this is poor PR and showing a lack of care towards your PAYING customers ipaid 350 GBP for my PS3 to play online its the reason i bought it along with the exclusives (and of course brand loyalty 15 yrs and counting…..)

and without online its just a chunky PS2……………..hurry up!!!!!!

+ piram_ar on May 7th, 2011 at 6:05 am said:

Again, more excuses… But one feeling is true: I HATE HACKERS/CRACKERS.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

I guess the underline message is..

1. Sony has no clue themselves when the PSN will be up.
2. The answer to when it’ll be up is whenever it gets done.

>_>

Howard Stringer said that we should expect it back up within the coming days.

I think the correct answer is “The PSN will be back up, if we finish securing the network.”

I still think this incident is [DELETED] since the securing of the network should have been the first thing they did along with a long term plan of updating the security software of the PSN every day. A total failure on Sony’s part and now all of us are paying for it?

+ SoapyMunkeyNutz on May 7th, 2011 at 6:07 am said:

Alright I’ve been silent through this whole incident but I’m really sick of all the [DELETED] going on from alot of other users. If it’s such a big deal that it’s taking time to get PSN back up then set your PS3 on fire and go join the HaloBOX fanboys cause you don’t deserve to be here.Most of us have been with Sony since the PSone and I for one am not going to let this put me off of Sony or PSN.

+ SoapyMunkeyNutz on May 7th, 2011 at 6:07 am said:

That being said, all of the people talking [DELETED] about Anonymous, yes it’s true they did this but what some of you don’t realize is it wasn’t all of them. There was a cease fire issued after the first attack which some chose to ignore and generally be [DELETED]. Another thing is it’s not just a group of hackers they are also protesters that speak out against thins like restricted freedom of speech and restriction of the internet, do some research before you post.I’M NOT CONDONING ANY OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED, just pointing out that unlike what most people think it wasn’t a “bunch of kids” or “people living in their parents basements”. Odds are you might know someone or work with someone who is Anonymous. I do believe what they did was wrong but there are some things I agree with that they stand for. don’t judge an entire group for the actions of a few. It’s like when everyone think all Americans are stupid because they see George Bush on TV or that all Muslims are terrorists. Nuff said. Now that my rant is over Keep up the good work Sony and keep us posted.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:08 am said:

This is crap. I tried to sign in using Internet Explorer and I’m getting that error message about the PSN being under maintenance.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

I guess the underline message is that Sony has no clue themselves when the PSN will be up and the answer to when it’ll be up is whenever it gets done.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

I mean why else would they say that we should expect it to be back up within a week? They Patrick Seybold said that last week. Howard Stringer said that we should expect it back up within the coming days.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

I still think this incident is BS since the securing of the network should have been the first thing they did along with a long term plan of updating the security software of the PSN every day. A total failure on Sony’s part and now all of us are paying for it?

+ erick_34 on May 7th, 2011 at 6:15 am said:

Good morning everyone. ^_^

I going to eat my breakfast and then… I will go to play MotorStorm: Apocalypse.

Bye. ^_^

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

…I’m about to play Mortal Kombat today. I’m working on beating the Ladder mode w/ every character doing a Fatality and X-Ray move with each character at least once (for the trophies). Then I’m going to work through the rest of the Challenge Tower. I’m on like 200 something so I have less than 100 to go.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

…I also pre-ordered Lego Pirates of the Caribbean through Amazon with Release Date Delivery. =D So I’ll work through that game too when I get it early this coming week. Probably some easy trophies and I guess it’ll be the second game that I get a Platinum on.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:30 am said:

I just wished that the PSN & PS Store was up. I want to..

a. change my password
b. remove my credit card info from the PS3 (plan on using PSN Cards from now on)
c. Get a few games from the PS Store like Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, etc
d. Get some DLC for my PS3 games.

It’s just annoying that Sony already missed 2 PS Store updates and it looks like we’re gonna miss at least one more, but probably more like 3 or 4 more. I keep getting the feeling that this all won’t be back up for another month or 2 at the rate Sony is going.

It’s getting hopeless really.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

@piram_ar
Yup~

Another day of no PSN & no PS Store, I think that’s what we’ve all come to get used to. Sony being way too slow and no hope in when it’ll all be back up online.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

@obiadekanobi1980
I know what you mean man. I mean it sucks how these people from SCEA aren’t responding back more frequently to our posts.

I mean if I was working for Sony PlayStation as the blog dude, I’m be trying to respond back to as many posts as I can, instead of the occasional 1 reply Patrick Seybold has been doing. If it were up to me, I would fire Patrick Seybold and hire someone who would be more active in responding. It’s like as if Sony doesn’t care, and you know, I’m not surprised.

Sony is a business and a business is only really out for profits. That’s it. And right now, I’m guessing they’re focusing more on the lawsuits and the demands they’ve been getting from Congress/House of Representatives and the politicians in fear of being told be pay fines in the millions and millions.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:34 am said:

…and you know, I’m getting the feeling that developers aren’t as confident with the PS3 and its stability. I’m surprised that PS3 games haven’t been canceled from this whole mess. People are less inclined to get PS3 games lately.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:36 am said:

I just hope that Sony doesn’t think that we’re too stupid about this and hope that we’re all 100% happy with how they’ve been handling this situation. There are still word about people getting fed up with the PS3 and selling it all along with all their games & accessories.

I’ve even heard of people who recorded a video of them buying PS3 and PlayStation related stuff and burning it on camera and uploading the video to show their rage.

+ xxnike629xx on May 7th, 2011 at 6:39 am said:

@SeanScythe
Just expect Sony to continuously say:

- expect
- next week
- around the clock
- we were unaware
- our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe

Those are all the BS phrases and words (word for word or written in another way) that they’ll keep using until the PSN and PS Store is actually back up.

We can’t expect them to actually fix it any time soon. I mean it’s been over 2 weeks now and they’re still saying those annoying phrases to hope that it’ll make us no worry and not get angry.

+ that-acmilan-guy on May 7th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

My semester break is almost over :’(

+ digitalman123 on May 7th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

My guess is tomorrow or Monday. I believe since the final stages are in place, it won’t be too much longer…

+ shredder110 on May 7th, 2011 at 7:38 am said:

oh great, we miss out on Black Ops DBL XP this weekend.. F* MY LIFE

+ Xaeroe on May 7th, 2011 at 7:39 am said:

im guessing we are not going to be able to choose 2 out of 5 ps3 games/ or 2 out of 4 psp games like other countries?

+ Gerry_the_Veg on May 7th, 2011 at 7:41 am said:

OKAY ORIGINALLY I SAID MY COMMENT #65, OUT OF ANGER…. =[

BUT IT’S ONLY CAUSE I FEEL SO BETRAYED AND LIED IT!! I MEAN HOW DO YOU BREAK A PROMISE THAT WAS GIVEN AT A PRESS RELEASE!! A PRESS RELEASE THAT WAS VIEWED BY MILLIONS AND WRITTEN ALL OVER THE WORLD ABOUT…

IT WAS LITERALLY KAZ’S FIRST SPEECH AND HE ENDED IT WITH BREAKING IT… THEIR SO FULL OF….

WE SPENT OUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THESE CONSOLES!! AND THINK ABOUT IT, THE PRICE OF THE PS3 ALREADY INCLUDES ONLINE SERVICES, THATS WHY INITIALLY THE PS3 COST MORE THAN THE XBOX, CAUSE WITH THE XBOX 360 YOU PAY LESS UP FRONT BUT MORE DUE TO XBL.. YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY DIDN’T CALCULATE THINGS OUT? THEIR NOT GIVING IT TO US FOR “FREE” NOT TO MENTION THEY HAVE ADDS ON THE PS STORE THAT GIVE THEM MONEY…

BUT WHAT IM MAD ABOUT IS THAT… HOW DO I PAY FOR SOMETHING AND THEN NOT HAVE IT FULLY FUNCTIONAL?? IT’S LIKE I GO BUY A NEW CARD AND THEN 2 MONTHS LATER THEY TAKE AWAY MY CAR STEREO AND SAY ILL GET IT BACK IN AWHILE…

+ Gerry_the_Veg on May 7th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

WHOOPS I MEAN.. I WAS COMMENT #75

+ hush404 on May 7th, 2011 at 7:48 am said:

Sigh.

+ Sponge-worthy on May 7th, 2011 at 8:04 am said:

Sony, here’s a tip:

In the future, set forth SCHEDULED down times to check and update the PSN system as needed. We would be much more amenable to that, versus the current situation of open-ended outages resulting from catastrophic failures.

+ ElChingon2588 on May 7th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

Dam another lie and a delay WOW! Now thinking if i should get Brink on PC or Xbox.

+ Christian399 on May 7th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

@153 That was a good suggestion. MMOs do it all the time and they’re far less hostile and volatile environments (running on closed servers with little to no unauthorized access to speak of). I’d love an hour of downtime once a week if it ensured a smooth and hacker-free experience.

Oh, and please catch these a$$holes already. People want blood. Senior Anon have admitted that it is “likely” that rogue cells have perpetrated this. Bring them ALL down. Surely there are laws to deal with cyber terrorism on this scale?

+ Ace_Card1 on May 7th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

uh I believe that was what maintenance THURSDAYS were for even thogh they never fixed any glitches but loaded more content.

+ Capshot18 on May 7th, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

This means another delay for the 3X Cash in UC2, and another weekend I won’t be able to play the inFAMOUS 2 Beta. Once again, thanks for sticking to the time you said it would be back on.

+ timoteo87655411 on May 7th, 2011 at 9:01 am said:

Sony this is ridiculous because you guys keep on saying by the end of the week. I get that you have to test but really this has been 2 weeks and few days. My father is a server technician and he says this is ridiculous. And he is the head of his department. He thinks that you guys should just turn on the playstation network. I want to play some damn double exp on COD. It better only be a one day testing or less than that.

+ timoteo87655411 on May 7th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

I am sorry for my swearing. I was just making a point about COD

+ Enigma-27 on May 7th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Yeah, Im cool…yeah….read me….hahahah

+ FireDragonGod on May 7th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

If PSN Returns, & It Has I New XMB Interface, No Loading Sprials While In Game, Instant Trophy Syncing, & MayB N Extended Friends List, I Guess The Wait Would B Worth It, But If It’s The Same PSN I Mite B Little Mad When It Returns

+ K-S-A_abood on May 7th, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

16 days without psn WTF
Ps3 go to the hell

+ Nlt952010 on May 7th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

allways saying the samething and the psn never comes back :-/

+ TheTwelve on May 7th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

No more victim-mode, Sony! Let’s get back into conquer-mode! The only update I want next is the ability to log in! You’ve had your sick-spell, we all go through it, now it’s time to get out of bed and start to fight the day’s battles. Let’s go!

+ s1mpl3______j4ck on May 7th, 2011 at 10:01 am said:

This network hack has inspired me!!! I just placed an order on amazon for “Hacking for Dummies” haha
i am such a noob

+ QUINTISON on May 7th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

While this would be bittersweet the best time to roll out PSN 2.0 would be @ E3 because if sony rebuilt PSN to be safer,faster and better than before and finally gave us much needed features like cross game chat,dedicated servers run by sony and by that i mean currently you buy a game like demons souls and the servers are run by atlus but with dedicated servers for each series like all cod games run on some and only world at war,mw,mw2,bo,cod classic would be on those dedicated servers. Dedicated servers would be better than all games on all kinds of servers so if you were playing kz3,bo,sonic and sega all stars racing,uncharted 2 or lbp they could all be on the same servers.

With a full year people would likely get a free game/use the discounts on dlc and dive into the cloud storage but with a 30 day pass it’s over before it began and those not already in ps+ would be more meh on it than ever.

+ Capshot18 on May 7th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

@165
Yes, because everyone wants to wait a month for the PSN to come back.

+ obiadekanobi1980 on May 7th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

still no replys what a suprise well i hope they get fined for there lack of support for there customers from now on ill buy game exclusives as preowned and i wont be buying anything off the store if its more than a week this time ill be trading my ps3 and all my move stuff and ill be buying and elite with a years gold sub cant take this lack of respect anymore for such a big userbase it used to be about loyalty for me but we now now how much sony value there customers and how they treat them with igronance it makes me SICK

+ obiadekanobi1980 on May 7th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

Comments are the lifeblood of the PlayStation.Blog, and we encourage you to keep the conversation going in a relevant, constructive way. Remember: no swearing, fighting, or using the comments section of this blog to be “first!” Think about what you’re saying before you press “Submit.”

this used to mean something to us ps users but noe i just laugh at the lifeblood bit, well the lifeblood is slowly draining from the body thats left us in the cold…………………….

+ Pecador on May 7th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Im hella mad I buy socom on the 19 get stoned all 4/20 and on the 21st we get hacked so I bought socom and had the privlage of playing it for 1 day you.really f***ed me sony next time kiss me cause I like to get kissed b4 I get f****ed

+ digitalman123 on May 7th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

I love how this update says that PSN will be back real soonish, and everyone’s getting all sweary and angry that it’s not back in three seconds.

+ GrimReaper4383 on May 7th, 2011 at 11:59 am said: