Watch Dogs 2

May 06

May 06

Service Restoration Update

Patrick Seybold's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.

As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.

When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7

Terrorrizor said:

May 8th, 1:40 am

I understand how this works now, they’re [DELETED] us. Listen up kids, I was on yahoo answers the other day and a man claiming to work for Sony said PSN wouldn’t return for at least a month.
He may not work for Sony, but I believe him (or her i forget which). This makes a lot of sense, they say “one more week!”, “this week.” and then we get “sorry not yet.”, “one more week”. And I can guarantee that if this is the reason we won’t see PSN until June, or maybe even July. Prove me wrong PSN I win either way. They’re just [DELETED] us until they can actually get it up. And Sony if this is true I don’t blame you I would do the same thing.
Anyone else agree or have similar theories?
And I appreciate the apology Sony, thank you. Although I may have considered it I will not leave you for an Xbox.

guitain said:

May 8th, 4:47 am

“We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers” … Seriously? That’s the third time you said that! I just want my inFamous 2 UGC beta :(

shadowboss675 said:

May 8th, 4:48 am

i am tried of waiting they need to hurry up adnd get the network back on

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 6:28 am

I think a fair “Welcome Back” would be to give all PSN members into their Wallet $1 per day the PSN & PS Store is down

=D

That should give Sony incentive to hurry up.

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 6:29 am

“…we expected to have the services online within a week.”
— Patrick Seybold

This is the crap that they’ve been spewing over the weeks now. Every week it’s always within a week or within a few days it’ll be up.

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 6:36 am

“We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system.”
— Patrick Seybold

Really? You guys hired 3 security firms yet you can’t figure out the extent of the attack on SOE? Hm. Yet another fine example showing Sony’s lack of security in their online networks.

I’m beginning to think that might be a big factor in the PS3’s demise. I give the PS3 at most til 2013 til Sony ditches it and moves to the PS4 with a completely new online network.

.: PLAYSTATION 3 :.
Nov 17 2006 ~ Present
6 years so far

.: PLAYSTATION 2 :.
October 26, 2000 ~ Present
11 years so far.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t think Sony Computer Entertainment can recoup their losses from this whole hacking incident.

Which leaves me to think that PS3 is done by 2013 at the most.

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 6:37 am

@MarkakaJin
PSN will be back up whenever they finish fixing it. Don’t believe “within a week” or whatever ETA they say because they’ve already missed their ETA 2 or so times. So whatever ETA they give is a lie, hoping that people will be happy that a date was given.

sped99 said:

May 8th, 8:07 am

wow is sony stupiid or what its like the end of the week and they arnt back up yet

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 8:08 am

They’ll put it back up whenever they finish…which will clearly take quite a while.

>_>

Nexus124 said:

May 8th, 9:04 am

Take your time. It’s better to wait than to have it taken back down again if they bring it back up prematurely.

exterminator_123 said:

May 8th, 9:05 am

WOW.. .. this suck so much … sony does not work in weekends and this could been already back up but noo!!!! sony cant work in weekends

terr801 said:

May 8th, 9:06 am

This is definatly taking alot longer than I think it should. You would think with all the money these guys have and there whole network has been down a month. I am getting frustrated.

cuest1231 said:

May 8th, 9:51 am

beginning to think sony gave up weeks ago. sony stop ur online ads since that is false advertising. there has not been an online this month or most of last month.

cuest1231 said:

May 8th, 10:21 am

class action lawsuit seems to have already been started in cali.

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 10:27 am

I hope that Sony realizes that what they did was a huge mistake.

Before launching the PS3, Sony definitely should have set up a system where they had a robust and comprehensive network security as well as 1 or 2 backups in case the network goes down. They also needed a system put in place where the software gets updated on a monthly basis (at least) and totally revamp the hardware of their network system at least once a year.

For all the money Sony gets through game sales at retail stores & PS Store, movie & music downloads, PS3 system sales, etc… one would assume Sony would have the common sense to have such a network set up.

The fact is, Howard Stringer and his executives touted that the PS3 was an unhackable system and that its system was secure.

That really painted a huge red target on Sony from the hackers. When Sony decided it was a good idea to remove the OtherOS and PS2 backwards compatibility, I think that’s really where the computer science community and the hacker community decided to take it as an invitation for challenge the claims.

Well, looks like Sony learned the hard way and now going to pay major $$$ for their irresponsibility, naivety, and absolute laziness with handling this outage.

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 10:28 am

I hope that Sony realizes that what they did was a huge mistake.

headwoundranger said:

May 8th, 11:04 am

Has anyone had this issue? I recently put in fifa 10 to work on some trophies and being as I wasn’t able to sign in to PSN when I “earned” a trophy I already had, it registered it, and reset my trophy percentage back to one percent!! Is it possible that when PSN is restored that my trophies will be also restored?

UndeadPirate98 said:

May 8th, 11:19 am

I Bought an xbox,its a shame if sony didiny make new xmb and New features to psn

KAHUNAx said:

May 8th, 11:51 am

WELL STILL NO DATE expect it to up next month

KAHUNAx said:

May 8th, 11:55 am

i see one more socom 4 commerical im gonna flip!

s1mpl3______j4ck said:

May 8th, 1:18 pm

some people man…..

digitalman123 said:

May 8th, 1:48 pm

Remember the good old days when game info was on the blog, not updating us the PSN is still out? Memories…

xzile said:

May 8th, 2:47 pm

@ 210 lyfestory. I agree totally with your comment. I just think they know that most of these people will bombard Glasswalls, Grace Chen, and the other staff with questions about the downtime. It would be nice to have some game related stuff. I am just going to wait patiently and watch the Lakers get beat down. lol Loving this sweep of the Lakers. I know that was totally off point but I couldn’t resist. lol

CaptenMidnite said:

May 8th, 2:59 pm

Quit lying to your costumers.

Delta-16 said:

May 8th, 3:02 pm

is the japan psn up?

kirafung said:

May 8th, 3:04 pm

@Delta-16

No, if Japan is up, US & EU will be up too. It is a global thing.

Delta-16 said:

May 8th, 3:36 pm

@241 cuz on jp blog, it says that it will be up regionally

sTONY420024 said:

May 8th, 4:47 pm

kirajung your an idiot they said it would be turned on regionally so ya japan could be on its a different region and if they just turn it on you think 77 million people trying to log on would not cause some problems

Ryanshizzle said:

May 8th, 5:48 pm

Hey Patrick, remember when you said that PSN would be up in a day or two 3 weeks ago?
Quit feeding us pointless updates unless you have a REAL timeline to give us, if not, just [DELETED].

BlindMango said:

May 8th, 6:22 pm

Just bring it back up as soon as you can and safe so it never happens again. Also, I think for your own good it would be a nice idea to bring in all those features have been asking for the past few years! Don’t worry though, I’m not idiot enough to sell my PS3 and lose money in the process and buy a 360 or something like that, haha some people just amuse me. You’re losing tons of money doing that if you think about it and all the friends and stats you have accumulated over the past few years just to play some Call of Duty, lmao!

WiCkeD--PlaYa said:

May 8th, 6:43 pm

Lost interest

BEASTXJASON said:

May 8th, 7:20 pm

+ BlindMango on May 8th, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

My 14 or so friends would beg to differ. They are completely happy with their ps3s gone. I told them wait but to no avail. Only thing keeping mine is the hope monster hunter will hit on ps3. With my luck Id trade it off and it will finally happen.

kirafung said:

May 8th, 8:36 pm

@sTONY420024

Excuse me, I might be wrong but you don’t need to call me an idiot.

YawgmothGod said:

May 8th, 9:17 pm

Monster hunter on PS3 or portable?…

s1mpl3______j4ck said:

May 8th, 9:22 pm

Zombies is now fun by myself :(
chop chop Sony. Patients are running thin

SoapyMunkeyNutz said:

May 8th, 9:40 pm

@EVERYONE FLAMING SONY, I’m getting really sick of all the complaining and people saying switch to Xbox. If you don’t own a PS3 anymore or if your just here to be a [DELETED] then leave. No one is forcing you to be here. I personally don’t care how long it takes to get PSN up n’ running again as long as it is secure. As far as asking for compensation for an outage of a FREE service(excluding +users) and then complaining about what Sony is offering that is just greedy. I’m perfectly happy with what they are offering. Also until your running your own sever system with 70 million plus users, and then it gets hacked and you have to rebuild the entire system, don’t complain about it taking more than a week.

P.S. to everyone else don’t feed the trolls…

that-acmilan-guy said:

May 8th, 10:11 pm

The compensation was ok for 2 weeks, we need more to be fair!

arneezy619 said:

May 8th, 11:14 pm

rumors flying around that may 31st itll b back on, but i dont think thats true

YawgmothGod said:

May 8th, 11:33 pm

This is depressing…

The_Apprentice said:

May 8th, 11:37 pm

Man I’m running out of single player games to play.
Have like 150 trophies to sync too lol

DopeBoy3010 said:

May 8th, 11:59 pm

i just beat dead space2 on hardcore, if psn was not down i wouldn’t even think about beating the game on this difficaulity cause this is insane( 3 saves during the whole game with no checkpoint) at least this is the advantage of psn outage lol

Kamikaze_917 said:

May 9th, 12:21 am

is monday may 9 and nothing please how long will these new tests take

K-S-A_abood said:

May 9th, 5:04 am

31 may f**k u psn f**k

fatjoe400 said:

May 9th, 5:14 am

Best thing that came out of the outage for me is my new addiction to PC MMOs. Got Lineage 2 during the outage and it has really help me the past couple of weeks. I even decided to have a custom PC made to play TERA online.

Anyway I hope the network comes back on this week. Suppose to be some updates for Blazblue CS coming out this very week. Not mention I miss the online competition and friendly matches in the game :(

monyking said:

May 9th, 5:34 am

Just read through Bloomberg’s website that the PSN will be on May 31. So, Just play the games like in those PS1, PS2, Nintendo days. No online access, no chatting with someone to battle with and no getting invites to play online; I think it’s OK. There’s no more argument, or just getting mad, Just be happy your playing games that can be played offline. Now it would REALLY suck if you only have games that play online only; then you would be SOL! But, anyways, calm down people, just be glad that Playstation will be more secured, alot more secured than it was before. So, TIME IS PATIENCE.

B-Real206 said:

May 9th, 6:29 am

Hopefully we will get an update today, until then I playing my other system for my online fix.

xxnike629xx said:

May 9th, 6:38 am

@monyking
Bloomberg’s website might say it’ll come up on May 31, 2011, but you know what, things change. With Sony Computer Entertainment, any ETA they’ve given us has been false so far. So what makes you think that what Sony told Bloomberg will be correct?

Also, read up on the latest article from Bloomberg..
Sony’s PlayStation, Qriocity Services Remain Shut, ‘Uncertain’ on Restart
PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services remain shut as of today, Shigenori Yoshida, a Tokyo-based spokesman said. Sony is uncertain when it can resume the services, Yoshida said by phone today.

The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services April 20 because of possible data theft by hackers.

The maker of PS consoles had planned to restart partial operations within a week after boosting the level of security system, the company said May 1.

xxnike629xx said:

May 9th, 6:39 am

They say they plan on restarting all services by May 31, but do you honestly feel confident with that date given Sony’s track record on giving out dates and an utter lack of useful information by Patrick Seybold on this blog?

xxnike629xx said:

May 9th, 6:42 am

And Sony has been quiet for another 2 days.

It’s obvious that they’ve finally gotten a clue that we know that Sony screwed up big time and everything they say is just corporate, PR BS for the purpose of trying to calm people down and make Sony look like a complete victim here. Sony screwed up and they’re just blaming people for this, instead of taking responsibility.

For a multi-million dollar (or billion) company, I “think” Sony can afford to have a very strong network that is secure and stable.

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7