PS4-The Order

Update on PSN Password Reset Process

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on May 18, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.

Consumers who haven’t reset their passwords for PSN are still encouraged to do so directly on their PS3. Otherwise, they can continue to do so via the website as soon as we bring that site back up.

972 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 20

+ norcalbwlr on May 18th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

First! Thanks for clearing things up for us!

+ akab211 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

Second! Awesome

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

Oh ok, thats crazy this happened RIGHT after I just said something about fishy wrong emails and such right?

+ DeathCoal on May 18th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

third and epic i hope its back up really soon i know your trying the hardest you can Sony you guys are epic

+ LolaRocks on May 18th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

This new exploit could very well mean….free Angry Birds for everyone!!!

+ Powie on May 18th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Can you start deleting messages, and 24 hour banning anyone who posts “first” messages. That will put a stop to it ASAP. Otherwise it’s just going to continue.

+ Dreditz on May 18th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Good to know there wasn’t a hack. Thanks for the update Sony! BTW, please let us know when the Playstation Store is up and running ASAP, or even an update on how long it might be. Again, thank you!

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

I understand you have alot on your hands already. But I still believe you should use a fine tooth comb when it comes to these password resets. As well as anyone saying they have multiple accounts and cannot access because of a wrong email or even an old email. Now that I think of it when it comes to the free games you will be giving out. If a PS3 has more than 1 account I’d say that the welcome back package only be good for the MASTER account. Just leave it at that too. ONE account per PS3.

+ hehateme1996 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

IS the hole network down?

+ Butters360 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Patrick, its high time you as well as Sony start calling out game sites out on their journalistic integrity. There was no hack involved, but go figure EVERY single website is STILL spreadin F.U.D. articles. This is HIGHLY unprofessional. This is serious and we PS3/PSN users deserve better than this crap.

+ CMPSKnight on May 18th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

I wonder if the hackers were found? I’m sure there were more then 1 of them. A hacking this big takes more then one person Im sure!

+ megalodonshark on May 18th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

i have a very serious question for you people at sony…

WHY DO YOU CONTINUOUSLY REFUSE TO RESPOND TO THE PEOPLE WHO IN EARNEST PAY YOUR SALARIES?
i ask because in honesty i believe you think very little of your consumers, meanwhile europe manages to at least try to respond to a few of the questions people have, not to mention, do their best to quell people’s fears over what information has been stolen from sony due to the breach. i think you need to start responding to earnest questions, or as i have stated in the past, i can honestly see sony stock bottoming out, due to being callous to your consumers!
have a nice day.

+ EatDeath on May 18th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

The media loves to turn even the smallest exploit into a large scale multinational hack compromising accounts. Just look at those headlines exaggerating things….

+ xI2esistanc3x_0 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

so is PSN down ???

+ JoshuaKearney on May 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

That’s nice, but how about an update on the Store?

+ lilyofthevalee2 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

@Powie Is it really THAT big of a deal? Or are you just jealous you weren’t first?

+ GoodFella2487 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

Haha take that, haters.

+ crazy_kracker1 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

i finally got my email then this crap go figure

+ bxjagal on May 18th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

well at least your making us know straight up

+ OrangE_KusH_SodA on May 18th, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

I ALREADY CHANGED MY PASS!!! I HAVE TO RECHANGE AGAIN!!!!! CURSE YOU SONY!!!!! SSSSSSOOOOOOONNNNNNYYYYYYYY WWWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
=:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::(
LOOK AT HOW MANY TEARS YOU CAUSED ME!!!!!!!!

+ crazy_kracker1 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

if its fixed why is it still down…………………

+ PainOfSarrow on May 18th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

hope we can get an update later for more psn related. im ready to spend over 1,000 on games in the store.

+ KwietStorm on May 18th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

@LolaRocks

Get an Android phone. Voila, free Angry Birds for everyone.

+ Powie on May 18th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

No I’m not jealous, I could care less where my post appears, but the “First” messages are immature, and are rarely first because of 9 idiots all trying to be first, it just makes you all look stupid. They also clog the blog with nothing but people trying to fill their empty self worth I guess. U MAD?

+ charliesmile on May 18th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

@Powie:
i posit that we also ban those who want to brown nose Sony and talk about how great they are.
if they’re so great, why do they have such crappy security?!

i’m a Sony fanboy like everyone else here, but they have handled this entire situation poorly at best.

+ DrBingogh on May 18th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

It’s difficult to catch every little thing when implementing new system as large and complex as this. Thanks for the update and hard work.

+ Shadow-Man_4 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

Thanks, as some people mentioned, for clearing things up.

+ Mobius2525 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

……………….

+ kubex on May 18th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

@shark. I agree with you 100% . Just wait until it all drops . Then you’ll see how fast Sony would want to fix things and regain the customers that they lost. But then it’ll be to late.

+ millersburgfan52 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

whens the store gonna be up i wanna renew my plus i have 9 days left and if i dont get 60 days im gonna be mad and i got la noire and i got codes to reedem come on sony

+ I_NEED_MINES on May 18th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

GJ Sony

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

+ Butters360 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

I second that motion. Every site seems to take whatever hearsay they tend to scan their eyes with 100% certainty and post it as the latest fact. I know blah blah free speech. But it seems like defamation of character to me. I’m not sure if that applies to a company as a whole. But there has to be something that can at least be said.

+ casper_1jr on May 18th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

The PSN is not down.

@ OrangE….. No, you don’t have to change your password again.

It’s about damn time that I can finally log back into this place :D

+ XvNamdeadvX on May 18th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

I really hope the store will be up soon, I want redeem my L.A. Noire content I got.

+ gabe81 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

this isn’t a issue ne more everybody should’ve done that already if not u desevere bad things to happen to u

+ captian_canuck85 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

when will the store be back up

+ shyguyNC on May 18th, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

PSN is not down … I am at work, but my daughter is watching Netflix on my account at home right now, and she’s logged on as me, no problems.

+ charliesmile on May 18th, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

@captian_canuck85
estimated target date: January 2012

+ HsniperH on May 18th, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

when we gona our free game ans ps plus

+ Moti_D on May 18th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

Hey

I have a question about the Welcome Back package
I have 2 accounts – a US and a EU account. They are both “fake” since when I bought my PS3 there was no PSN store available in Israel, which is where I live.

The Israeli PSN opened just recently but I haven’t opened a new PSN account for it since I didn’t find it useful.
Is it possible that I will not be able to get the Welcome Back free games?

+ Kavewoman48 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

After waiting twice for emails to reset my password you’re finally telling me it’s broken? I commented Tuesday morning it was broken. Maybe Sony should devote more time to reading comments on these blogs, not all of them are fluff and/or insults.

+ saintaqua on May 18th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

PSN is not down people, please stop trusting biased and fear mongering sites and check the blog or turn on your Playstation.

+ elitescorpion94 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Hmm well thanks for the update I hope this is not a huge problem for you Sony. Tell us as soon as possible when it will be back up and thank god it wasn’t the hackers this time peace.

+ imjustaguy1983 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

I for one am glad playstation is compensating us for lost time even though it means a lost of wages on their part. Thanks sony for all your hard work. Also what does everyone think of the game selection for our “free games”.

+ Zinacef on May 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

What do you mean by “there was a URL exploit”? Does that mean that the security in place isn’t working as it should or there still needs to be work done to strengthen the network still?

+ boberthurd1 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

41st! Thank you for clearing that up.

+ boberthurd1 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

42th! Thank you for clearing that up.

+ GreatSkull1990 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

now im more peaceful

+ Moon31624 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

How much longer until the Store is up? I need some DCUO.

+ Bigmouthkid on May 18th, 2011 at 11:38 am said:

Thanks for clearing that up Sony. I swear the media today is too damn ignorant. It’s a shame really.

PAGE 1 2 3 20