PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Update on PSN Password Reset Process

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on May 18, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.

Consumers who haven’t reset their passwords for PSN are still encouraged to do so directly on their PS3. Otherwise, they can continue to do so via the website as soon as we bring that site back up.

972 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 20

+ truewolf2008 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:38 am said:

!@boberthurd1
dont do that

+ BEASTXJASON on May 18th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

cant redeem online pass’s put store up already.

+ veldhuid on May 18th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

Incompetence or indifference?

+ i_got_Osama on May 18th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

how do you change it via PS3? I bought a ps3 while it was down, however i had a psn from my old account… when i clicked sign up for psn, use existing account, it ONLY lets me email the link… help please

+ Huanchu on May 18th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

I was fully supportive of Sony throughout this whole thing, but now it’s just getting too much. :(

I have a US PS3, a US PSN account and only buy US version games. But becuase i live in China, I still can’t sign into PSN.

How does that make sense Sony???

+ Busca-Cabezas on May 18th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

So it wasn’t a hack problem?? Why is it that the “hack” news spread so quickly thru so many resources??

+ Conaaando on May 18th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

I like turtles.

+ i_got_Osama on May 18th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

@55 those blog “news” websites didn’t have real “sources” they make money off of every view, and they are manipulating the recent psn event and sturring up the community.

+ Huanchu on May 18th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

@ Busca – Ban news sells and travels faster than good news. :(

+ Kavewoman48 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

1237+ Kavewoman48 on May 16th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

I think it’s got something to do with this code:

://store.playstation.com/accounts/security/resetPassword.action

See how it’s linked to the store? And by all the whining here we know the store isn’t back online yet. That’s my theory anyway. Sure wish I could get an answer from Sony but they’re too busy updating the welcome back package.

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

+ i_got_Osama on May 18th, 2011 at 11:44 am

The reason being, is if you have any reading comprehension you would already know that password resets can only be done on the original PS3 it was created on or through a validated comfirmation email. Why would you buy a second PS3 anyway? If you sold your other PS3 then you no longer have that account. You need to create a new account on your new ps3.

+ JavierM10 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:52 am said:

Thknx 4 update !

+ Kavewoman48 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

Add to comment 59:

That’s from the FAQ blog in regards to why we were having such trouble trying to reset passwords via emails Sony was sending with links/tokens.

+ War_Hound1970 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

does this pwd reset webpage being taken offline affect the PSN forums? They worked yesterday and last night but today they are offline…

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

Btw, if you bought a ps3 during the outtage as you claim. You are not entitled to a welcome back package. You would have had to have a current established account created before the shutdown.

+ War_Hound1970 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

oh and thanks for the update.

+ Jonzer12 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

I just want the store up before June. hope yall get it up before this week is out though.

+ RetroGravy on May 18th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Patrick,

Thank you for the update, but I’m confused. If there was no hack involved, and it was Sony who found the exploit, then how is it that news media outlets such as kotaku.com have a detailed workflow published as to how the exploit would have been used?

If Sony found this first, wouldn’t this be information that typically wouldn’t see the light of day?

Thanks.
-RG.

+ BiG-_-JaY on May 18th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

MY son was able to reset his password on his new ps3 even tho his account was on my ps3 originally. I had deactivated his account tho pre-psn-hack tho and maybe thats why he could do it so easily. idk… Its all shady anyway no real security in password re-sets -_-

+ Vikings9104 on May 18th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

Is PS STore up then

+ luiseezyfcrazy on May 18th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

SORRY FOR CURSING I FORGOT!!!

+ shadow_rose88 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

thank you for clearing that up but sony please give us an update on the store please is it so much to ask for an update on store restoration process?

still thank you for clearing up what ever that was, but really we want an update on the store

+ RonOwns on May 18th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

Keep up the good work :D

+ Stormshadowrule on May 18th, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

i just wish the store was up

+ MedicChuck on May 18th, 2011 at 12:02 pm said:

When is the Store going to be up and running?? I have several new games that there are updates for and can’t get them yet. It’s getting to be a little frustrating!!

+ trush1492 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

@Old_PopTarts

That is not true. I am on my 3rd ps3, all with the same PSN account. You just have to deactivate the old ps3′s and activate your new one.

+ EatCornPOPS on May 18th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

Sony’s on their game now! I hope. :[ ;)

+ AK-1001 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

thanks alot sony

+ Cypher_Mags on May 18th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

I don’t use my e-mail on one of my accounts what do i do?

+ AK-1001 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

when will the ps store be up

+ dustwardprez on May 18th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

i can only sign in on my ps3 and plog why cant i sign ito psn? and where are my promised plus and other stuff?

+ Kavewoman48 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

To Mr. Patrick Seybold and to Mr. Sid Shuman,

Do you know if you’ll be sending new emails to us with updated links or will we have to request those?

As I’ve said before, I don’t think it wouldn’t hurt to have more people devoted full-time to reading comments and replying to serious inquiries from Joe Public. Especially during the restart up of the Playstation Store. I have a feeling “you ain’t seen nothing yet” when you kick that puppy back online.

Call me or drop me a line if you’d like a blog liaison/research assistant. I know you’ve got my number, address and email address. (end satire)

Thanks for the update about the password reset! (no sarcasm there I am sincerely thankful)

+ The_Apprentice on May 18th, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

I got an email today that my PSN password had been changed…..
I thought it was just a late email from the first change when PSN came back up….

Were the emails slow? I can still sign in with my old password.
So it actually wasn’t unauthorizedly changed today.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on May 18th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

+ charliesmile

That’s a load of crap, they handled the situation as best as possible with security firms and handled everything by rule of thumb of what was supposed to be done by the book., you can’t stop hackers from entering a network or service that’s provided. Everything has loop holes you just need a dedicated and skilled hacker to get in, Sony had up to date security, but they found a hole in the security, these things happen under the most sophisticated networks.

Hell, even the US Government has been hacked plenty of times and big financial companies, with leaked information.

+ Ms_HelloKittyNYC on May 18th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

@56 LMAO!!! Zombie Kid

+ Old_PopTarts on May 18th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

+ trush1492 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

Hmm really?? How does that work then? Like you can deactivate an account and it stays active on the websites? Lets say I sold my PS3 right now, deactivated the PS3 before I did but copied all the account info down. A month from theoretical now, I can buy another PS3 and put my old account on there? That just doesn’t sound right to me.

+ Stackcluster on May 18th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

is it fixed yet ?? I logged out socom.com and now I cant log back

HOLY COW !

+ i_like_toast on May 18th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Responses quick like this would have done wonders during the outtage to squash the rumor mills.

Glad you are at least nipping this one in the butt fast.

+ invision2212 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

people psn store will be back by the end of the month stop asking, the gaming network is still online this is just a web fix nothing more.

+ THEWILDTURKEY on May 18th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

Sony, do you plan to stop jailbreakers in the future?

+ Ms_HelloKittyNYC on May 18th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

STOP ASKING WHEN THE STORE IS GONNA BE UP!!! If there is any news on it they will post. Half these comments are people asking when the Store is gonna be up

+ TenchiFan88 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

see sony im not the only one who wants to know

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on May 18th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

+ Kavewoman48

They are trying to stabilize the network, and refine everything and fix the password resets so everything runs smoothly, it takes time. They aren’t just doing the ‘Welcome Back’ package, I’m sure that’s already done and finished, they are working on getting the PS store up as soon as possible as well.

Be patient you seem to be lacking some.

+ Ms_HelloKittyNYC on May 18th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

P.S. They did say that Everything Will be Back up by 5/31, this includes the PSN Store.

+ BloodRedDrake on May 18th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

TURTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ cajunmac77 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

when is the store comming back up? ready to get those games. other than that im glad to see the network back up and keep up the good work sony

+ crazy_kracker1 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

ive waited sence saturday for my email then. this finally get it this mourning so hurry up already this is getting old if its not one thing its another

+ trush1492 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

@Old_PopTarts

You dont deactivate your account, you deactivate your account from the ps3 itself.

+ trush1492 on May 18th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said: