PS4 - Destiny

Resistance 3: Campaign Tour and Multiplayer Report

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on May 19, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Resistance 3: Capelli

Earth’s cities lie silent. Mankind teeters on the brink of extinction. The Chimera have won. Six years after the Chimera invaded in Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 3 depicts a bleak world where the survivors have laid down their weapons and curled into seclusion to await the inevitable.

One such survivor is Joseph Capelli, last seen (spoiler!) executing series frontman Nathan Hale at the conclusion of Resistance 2. With Resistance 3’s narrative focus shifting from military might to hometown heroism, the gaunt-looking Capelli stands in stark contrast to Resistance 2’s square-jawed super soldier. Having abandoned the fight to be with his wife and child, Capelli holes up in rural Oklahoma to evade Chimeran raiders and scavenge for ever-dwindling supplies. A chance visit by xenobiologist Dr. Fyodor Malikov reveals a desperate plan to destroy the Chimera in New York City, sparking a road trip through an American heartland warped by the Chimera’s corrosive influence.

Resistance 3: Hybrid PackResistance 3: Hulk

Enemy Mine

Resistance 3’s campaign combat emphasizes hit-and-run guerrilla tactics amidst complex, nonlinear environments. I watched a scenario set on the decidedly unpleasant Mt. Pleasant, where Capelli scrambles to evade his pursuers in the woodlands of rural Pennsylvania. Mt. Pleasant’s deep blue hues and oppressive drizzle conceal unseen threats: Invisible Chimeran snipers. This sniper scenario serves as a handy demonstration of Resistance 3’s new artificial intelligence system, which grants the Chimera more predatory behavior and the ability to accept different “jobs” — offense, defense, scouting and more. The result are action sequences that play out in very different ways depending on the player’s tactics.

Mt. Pleasant’s stark atmosphere and stealthy shootouts are a radical departure from the opening act set in Haven, Oklahoma, which showcases a full Chimera assault amidst dramatic hurricane-strength winds. Later in the game, Capelli takes a slow, suspenseful boat ride down a flooded Mississippi River en route to St. Louis. A cursory examination of Resistance 3’s varied locales proves that the ever-industrious Chimera haven’t wasted any time settling into their new home. Unearthly Chimeran flora, such as explosive “blast roots,” flourish in the frigid climate produced by the Chimera’s terraforming technology. Physically, the Chimera continue to evolve with new strains such as nimble Longlegs and the hulking Brawler. The titanic arachnoid Widowmaker from Resistance: Fall of Man also makes its long-awaited return. Capelli’s journey will not be an easy one.

Tools of Destruction

Luckily, Capelli will be packing a full arsenal of human and Chimera firearms to help even the odds. To the delight of series fans, Resistance 3 will once again allow you to carry more than two weapons at a time via a quick-access weapon wheel. What’s more, those weapons are feeling weightier and deadlier than in any of the previous games. “We rebuilt all of the guns, everything from the audio effects to the feel of the iron sights,” lead designer Drew Murray says. It shows. The Carbine boasts increased damage and range but a slightly lower rate of fire; the Marksman rifle can deploy a micro-turret to provide cover fire; the Bulleye rips enemies apart with its blistering volley of projectiles. What’s more, you can unlock a series of upgrades that will improve the weapon’s effectiveness in multiple ways, from incendiary shells for the Rossmore shotgun to cluster bombs for the Magnum. You’ll earn progress toward your weapon’s next upgrade with repeated use, so it may pay to specialize.

In playing Resistance 3′s campaign, I was most struck by the detail and diversity of the environments, the power of the redesigned weapons, and the variety in game pacing. I also liked how Capelli’s hands reached out to physically interact with props, such as tugging open a stubborn door or bludgeoning an enemy during a melee struggle. I’m also curious to experience the game in 3D using PlayStation Move.

Resistance 3: Fort Lamy Action DoppelgangerResistance 3: Fort Lamy Action Arena Battle

Survival of the Fittest

Resistance 3’s eight-on-eight multiplayer mode extends the battle to an international stage, with human and Chimera teams battling in exotic locales from Columbia to The Republic of Chad in Africa. I played several rounds of team deathmatch (the final game will include objective-based modes as well) and found that the intimate maps and frenzied yet strategic shootouts lean closer to the feel of the original game. Character progression and customization have been supercharged with abilities that can turn the tables during a heated match. Support abilities such as Ammo Beacon and Lightning Shield will aid your teammates, while tactical abilities such as Dash and Doppelganger can help you outmaneuver opponents. You can also select a personal attribute and combat attribute to further customize your dream multiplayer warrior, whether that means giving birth to vicious Leapers upon death or simply boasting better hip-fire accuracy. And because Resistance 3 doesn’t lock players into cookie-cutter multiplayer classes, custom hybrid characters (sniper-medic, anybody?) are absolutely viable choices. Killstreak bonuses provide extra incentive, dishing out rewards such as high-powered grenade launchers for the humans and optical camouflage for the Chimera.

Resistance 3’s multiplayer beta will go live on PS3 later this year (though if you bought a specially marked copy of SOCOM 4, you’re already ahead of the game). Have questions about the new guerrilla-style combat, the upgraded arsenal or the feel of the controls? Leave them in the comments and I’ll add more details.

+ noahhrocks on May 19th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

played*

+ Buhd on May 19th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

@J-ToWne42 funny you say all they care about is making money but if that were the top priority don’t you think the PSS would have been up first. I understand peoples frustrations but it does not matter what SONY does people such as yourself will find something to cry about. So please vent more because I love reading all the whining comments people leave because they feel everyone owes them everything they want.

As for Resistance 3 I cannot wait for this to be released I loved both the previous games and this one looks just as great. I am glad that they follow the story of the only human in R2 that was as much of a BA as Hale himself, since Joseph Capelli is not infected and still does as much damage as Hale.

Thanks for the return of the weapon wheel. It was one of the features I did miss from RFOM.

+ BloodGod180 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

I cant wait to play the beta. i bought socom 4 today but i cant put in the beata code because the store is still down

+ mohshooterBoy on May 19th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

im a huge fan of resistance i played rfom and r2 and i also have the early r3 beta and im getting the demo for it when battle los angelos comes out

+ mohshooterBoy on May 19th, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

AT #101 it wont work anyway you have to wait till after next month for the early beta to open if you actually went to the website it says on your SUPPOSEDLY voucher code

+ TkSocial411 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

This game is prob. worth a try , but i like Call Of Duty and Crysis2

+ Jae775 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

Any word when the beta will be playable? I got the code with Socom 4 :)

+ get_thisordie on May 19th, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

eff yeah gun wheel is back from resistance 1 and retribution.

+ Ama_Daoes on May 19th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

looks really good guys and I love the box art. Any word on coop? My brother and I really enjoyed that mode in Resistance 2 thx.

+ FireDragonGod on May 19th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

This Game Looks Beast, I Just Hope The Graphics Improve B4 It’s Released

+ footballrule on May 19th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

This game looks fantastic! So can’t wait for this! Hope for more Beta details soon!

+ R-KaDian on May 19th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

This may come out by the time I start high school but I still. I’ve got the the other 2 and I can’t wait for this one

+ R-KaDian on May 19th, 2011 at 5:24 pm said:

This may come out by the time I start high school but still. I’ve got the the other 2 and I can’t wait for this one

+ HeavenlySnipesx on May 19th, 2011 at 5:28 pm said:

Can players still hit enemies with hipfire like in Resistance 2? I love games like that (Resistance 2 being one and KZ2/3 being the others)

+ Hradekal on May 19th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

*sigh* I just can’t get into the art style of this game. The graphics look cartoony. Killzone graphics/engine with Resistance universe and gameplay would be awesome.

+ theultimatenub on May 19th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

I love resistance and this one looks greatly improved

+ Black_acid24 on May 19th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

I pre-ordered this, will I get anything special like in Socom 4? Also, will there be a collector’s edition?

+ PRE_-CISION-_ on May 19th, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

Whens the beta go up? S4 sucks I might as well play the beta since I got a voucher

+ WU-Tang4Ever on May 19th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

Great post! I’m wondering if there is going to be bot support and if so, will it be available split screen? I liked the last two games but sometimes I just want a quick game with some bots.

+ GalatasarayEken on May 19th, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

Hey sid, do you know if there will be new maps for Killzone 3 – Operations? , operations has the least maps and I would love to buy 1-2 maps for Killzone 3 and the killzone 2 map pack for Killzone 3, It would be awesome to have more maps for Killzone 3, if you guys are planning for the future it would be cool as long as you guys make it, the cut-scenes for the Mode Operations Killzone 3 are awesome by the way can’t wait to buy Killzone 4.

+ a7rivera on May 19th, 2011 at 7:48 pm said:

hey sony, id like to hear more of multiplayer for Resistance 3. specifically if they are bringing the weapon wheel online. i dont mind it being in campaign, but i think having a portable armory would be a little too overpowering if anyone gets what im saying ?

+ DC-monster- on May 19th, 2011 at 7:55 pm said:

Continued improvement of different aspects of the game is something I love to see in sequels.

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on May 19th, 2011 at 8:15 pm said:

Please no killstreak rewards! They turn everyone into campers

+ Thyasianman on May 19th, 2011 at 8:19 pm said:

This game looks so much better. Has a way heavier feel, which is good, and then the weapons look way better. I like the bullseye and how u can use secondary fire and then move away and still hit them. Looks really good and hope you guys luck on it!

+ a7rivera on May 19th, 2011 at 8:20 pm said:

sorry 122. killstreaks have been confirmed

+ Chopper2021 on May 19th, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

sweet cant wait i love all resistance games so far now this 1 is going 2 blow my mind!!!

+ furykiller972 on May 19th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

this game looks pretty good definately gonna by this one ps3 exclusives like these are the reason why i love the ps3 not to be a fanboy though but i also have a ligitiment question: will Resistance 3 have a sort of firefight mode? kind of like zombies from black ops you know?

+ furykiller972 on May 19th, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

and also i would like to ask if when the beta will come up and when it does come up will you need a PS Plus membership to have it?

+ AdoAJ on May 19th, 2011 at 9:32 pm said:

So, call me a nerd, but I noticed that there are no water physics this time-a-round. I thought that they were so cool in R2 and would love to see them come back. I don’t know if this is just because they didn’t put it in yet and it’s still in early stages, but I thought I would mention it :)

+ nightwing1390 on May 19th, 2011 at 11:49 pm said:

I just wanted to post and say that if you are talking about the one in south america, then it is spelled colOmbia

+ xSMKxNemesis on May 20th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

I for one can’t wait to play this i been a huge fan of this franchise!

+ rafaesca on May 20th, 2011 at 1:45 am said:

I felt like I was watching a feature film, It’s looking Good. Should be a nice pick-up for the Fall

+ BioEve on May 20th, 2011 at 1:51 am said:

I’m looking forward to it!

I have a question though, Resistance 2 had a great party system, playing with friends was a breeze, I guess it will be like that again?!

It may sound stupid but I’ve got SOCOM 4 and Brink and neither have a party system, playing with even just a friends becomes a treasure hunt and it’s so frustrating, totally spoils the game… so I’m just double checking here, you know!

+ JULZTG-_- on May 20th, 2011 at 2:02 am said:

Holy Cow what a big alien

+ Lopez9577 on May 20th, 2011 at 2:05 am said:

When can I download the Beta from the voucher from socom 4?

+ JULZTG-_- on May 20th, 2011 at 2:11 am said:

OPEN TO
EVERYONE,
BUT DON’T
BE A JERK.

Comments are the lifeblood of the PlayStation.Blog, and we encourage you to keep the conversation going in a relevant, constructive way. Remember: no swearing, fighting, or using the comments section of this blog to be “first!” Think about what you’re saying before you press “Submit.” If you’d like to talk about something off topic, click here for our Forums, or here to submit a new idea.

+ ditto123_ on May 20th, 2011 at 2:19 am said:

Dear Sid
Please will you consider bringing my beloved Splicer back please !!!
If not from the get go, maybe in a DLC? Would really love to see some zanny insomniac brand weapons that you guys are known for in this game. The weapons look to standard to me. The weapon selection needs more zas!
Please consider the splicer Sid <3 Resistance!

+ pvtmarlowe on May 20th, 2011 at 3:03 am said:

Hey can someone respond?
Will this game have a server browser or matchmaking?
Coz its next to impossible finding a 60 player match in R2 but its still easy to find full matches in KZ2 using the Server list thing. and also are dedicated servers present?

+ IvoryDingo on May 20th, 2011 at 3:20 am said:

Awesome Sauce! Can’t wait for this game, going to be a week one buy for me ^_^. I hope the PS Store is up asap :D

+ amdfan81 on May 20th, 2011 at 3:33 am said:

This game does look really smooth and pretty. Quick question or two, will the cooperative multiplayer mode be back from R2? Perhaps i was alone but I did enjoy that mode. Also will that boat driver be talking in your ear the whole time? While nice in pieces, could be an annoyance after a while

+ ealgle450 on May 20th, 2011 at 3:42 am said:

I swear, i had a dream about driving a small boat in a big gray empty place, just like the video, and then i saw this, wow

+ SOLiDKiLL3R_ on May 20th, 2011 at 3:47 am said:

Can’t wait and this game looks great! great job Insomniac

+ WhEr3zNe0 on May 20th, 2011 at 4:35 am said:

Poop, games awsome… don’t judge it guys! lol and for all the users who cant wait for store have a little more patients… it will be back, just wait.

+ AUG209 on May 20th, 2011 at 5:16 am said:

@1 THE GAME LOOKS MAD TIGHT SON…. SO THE GAME DOESNT SUCK, JUST THE GAMER HA HA HA

+ Buchi1324 on May 20th, 2011 at 5:32 am said:

this looks so much better then the last and the multi sounds sick and loved the progression of the last but i have to ask are they going to have co-op like b4 and or can we play split screen through the campain (on or offline)

+ DaGimp007 on May 20th, 2011 at 6:29 am said:

I love the Story of this series. The first multilayer was amazing, then you guys tried changing to much in the 2nd one.

I always say companies need to do open betas for there online games to test servers helping the launch go as smooth as possible. So my question here is i bought Socom 4 when does the beta start up for use?

+ Smooth423 on May 20th, 2011 at 7:51 am said:

I am the resistance. The game is going to be awesome. Can I make a suggestion, make your trophies for story mode just completing levels and the rest multilayer. Games die too quick from bad trophies. Just a thought.

+ WeatherMan on May 20th, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

I don’t really care about the single player what made this game good is the co-op the first was was the best because you where able to play with a local friend. The second one was okay they brought it back through on-line but what was the point if the second player would loose all his experience. If the game does not have co-op campaign then im not getting it. Why do games always focus on only single player every triple A title is either co-op or has multi-player Black-ops did this well allowing you to play on-line with a friend or kill some zombies together. The only exception is God of War. I say that because every time they make one its ground breaking technology. Know one could believe that those type of graphics can be done on a video game. The point is if its not co-op or multi player then you better build the best dame game in the world like God of War to make it worth their while to play a single player game.

+ jaydlaw20 on May 20th, 2011 at 9:08 am said: