PS4 - Transistor

Rockstar Games and Sony Joint Statement on L.A. Noire

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on May 19, 2011 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise. If you are experiencing any issues with L.A. Noire or your PS3 hardware, please contact technical support using any of the means provided below:

Rockstar Support: www.rockstargames.com/support
Rockstar Support on Twitter: twitter.com/RockstarSupport

PlayStation 3 Support: http://us.playstation.com/support/

379 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ XxTDBanksxX on May 19th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

I’ve already reset my password and played ever since it came back up… Why can’t I sign in to the playstation network right now says network could not be established.. Please HELP ME man!?

+ jose213jose on May 19th, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

number 45 @ SOOPERGOOMAN187
true u don’t have too but if u don’t want ur ps3 to overheat then do it. I did it and my PS3 is still working like super happy machine.

number 43 @ArchAngelMai PS4 is under development still and it will not happen as soon as people want but it would be good if it did. PS4 would be 10 times better then PS3 in some way. Or there can remake new PS3 with better hardware that is more powerful and it will last for long time without fail.

+ i_like_toast on May 19th, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

how are GTA, RDR, Midnight Club, Manhunt, Table Tennis, LA: Noir, Max Payne, and Bully one type of game?

and further…how is zipper not making one type of game? you know, Socom and MAG…two actually similar(and great) games?

troll on little man!

+ etur0 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

my ps3 broke and I don have that game

+ etur0 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

I got ylod had my ps3 for almost 3 years I kept it clean and well ventilated and I don’t the money to buy a new one or get this one fix I guess I’ll have to try to fix it myself

+ Pukadon on May 19th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

I haven’t had any issues with LA Noire myself, but I hope it gets quickly for anyone who does.

+ Christian399 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

Well its overheating 360s too, so it IS the fault of the game. Nice passing off of the buck to one another. Between the lack of RPG 1st party support and some of the evasiveness lately, I’m losing faith in Sony. I’ve been a PS gamer since the PSX – stood in line to get one, but the industry as a whole has really taken a dive and Sony doesn’t seem to be separate from that tailspin.

+ Neo-CTU on May 19th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

Still Have The same LOVE for my PS3 :)

+ Chacuano on May 19th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

This is ONLY happening in old Ps3 60GB and 80GB
Newer Ps3′s don’t have this problems as far as I know

+ MR-TROUBLE24 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

my system isn’t over heating just move the system if it’s in a closed area thats probably why it’s over heating people for Ex Do not put it in a area where theres not more then 10 inches for it to breath. if thats not it then theres a lot of dust in the system that needs to be cleaned out with pressured air or a low power vac. or you just need a new system O.o

+ MR-TROUBLE24 on May 19th, 2011 at 2:48 pm said:

and i have the new slim ps3 by the way so i agree with Chacuano with that comment

+ YamiChio on May 19th, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Just played it for 8 hours straight, no problems here.
Cant wait till the store is back up though, since im sure by then ill be hungry for new missions in L.A. Noire

+ GreatSkull1990 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

People with the 360 versioon of the game are having the same issues, i can confirm that in PS3 the firmaware isn0t causing any overheating (at least on this time and in my console),.

+ MaximA509 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

It’s always the game that breaks ps3s…Everytime a new game comes out people say it breaks their systems..weird..

+ Rebelis on May 19th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

@SOOPERGOOMAN187 you should change your psn to SUPERGOOFMAN. Rockstar has nothing to do with your pile of a console being faulty, i bet your system its trying to terminate itself for having been purchased buy a jerk ass and i’m willing to i bet your such a loner that your systems your only friend and it doesn’t even like you life must suck. and @ a7x_RoCk3r keep on rockin!!!! don’t let that tool bother ya

+ RicAn6483 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

My fan is always loud so I don’t think it has anything to do with the game. I thought they were gonna talk about the redeem codes that we can’t redeem, or the fact that when you try to access the ps store through the game it crashes.

+ Duke_Wayne09 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

Think I’ll test it out on GameFly first to see if my 120 gig Slim has any issues with it.

As for all these people asking about the store: How about ctually reading the blogs instead of asking the same dumb questions over & over again???

+ Hooligantuan on May 19th, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

Meh, screw being an early adopter. It only burns you in the end.

(That end being your rear end.)

+ Rick1220 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:33 pm said:

My PS3′s internal fan definitely does get much, MUCH louder while playing L.A. Noire then when playing any other game, but I just figured it had something to do with the high quality facial detail. But it was sort of alarming when I first heard my PS3 rev up super loud. It sounded like a jet aircraft was taking off right in my living room. Seriously, you cannot even imagine how loud it gets until it actually happens to you.

+ daxter1100 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

im glad i dont play that game cause my ps3 is my life and i cant afford for mine to tear up like that

+ lolkid2011 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

@4 lol youtube come on

+ huggins1983 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

I know everyone will probably give me a hard time for playing this game, but does anyone know when tha NASCAR the game 2011 patch will be coming out. Please anybody respond to me with anything, a link, an answer anything.

+ huggins1983 on May 19th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

There are a ton of bugs that kill the online gameplay.

+ deadskies on May 19th, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

The problem is idiots who don’t know how to take care of their systems and then blame the game or system itself when problems arise. Just because x-box is pure crap doesn’t mean Sony’s a bunch of idiots like Micro$oft.

+ deadskies on May 19th, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

@Jose213Jose. The PS3′s already the most powerful entertainment console on the market, beating out close to 90% of all gaming PCs even. What more do you want? A wetwiring interface to hook your brain up directly to the console?

+ Chacuano on May 19th, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

@huggins1983 Because PSN was down, they could not submit the patch to Sony for approval, they couldn’t even go online but they have begun the testing to submit it and maybe in a few days, patch will come out

+ zfredo90 on May 19th, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

I was watching crackle on ps3 click on full screen then I got a blue screen with some letters them my ps3 shutoff and rebooted with changed user names

+ kfunnybear on May 19th, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

i have a i60gb ps3…i have no problems with mines ;)

+ arkard1000 on May 19th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

Home is also getting frozen

+ J-Dubya1966 on May 19th, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Before you feel like you need to continue beating up on Sony regarding this blog, please research the facts first. I have been on both forum as well at the support forum on L.A. Noire. Although, I’m not having a problem with the game; I wanted to make sure, before I bought the game. I can tell you with certainty, that the problem is affecting the competitor’s console much more.

From browsing hundreds of comments, it seems to be affecting the older machines on both sides of the front. I’m not sure as to why, but it obviously is.

I think it is great that Sony is not dismissing the complaints and letting you know that they are aware. Let’s hope that Rockstar and Sony will come to a conclusion soon.

As for deciding to buy the game..whether it’s now or later, it is an incredible game.

Now I hope I didn’t jinx myself with my console.

Hope I didn’t offend anyone, that was not my intention.

+ trackiller on May 19th, 2011 at 4:39 pm said:

Still no PS Store!!! :((

+ XxSolidsnakexX on May 19th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

A friend that I work with his PS 3 died just yesterday while playing this game.. He said that his 60 giger Ps3 over heated, turned off, and will now not boot up.

+ I3rand0 on May 19th, 2011 at 4:43 pm said:

Damage control lol

+ BIZZY-7- on May 19th, 2011 at 5:07 pm said:

i have an 80 gig motorstorm edition ps3 since 09 and no problems with the update. but im scared to risk it with la noire

+ THEPICCILO3 on May 19th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

On the road again

+ korgon117 on May 19th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

A glitchy Rockstar game? No way! Sorry but it’s not like Red Dead and GTAIV didn’t have these sorts of glitches either. Rockstar games are always riddled with glitches so this is nothing new. Hope it gets fixed for those that bought have problems though.

Infamous 2 however will be the open world game of the generation.

+ rabidninjamonky on May 19th, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

@84 i beat gta 4 and played most of red dead before i got bored with it and never had a problem with them

+ DarthBardock1979 on May 19th, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

FART BLOSSOM

+ liljuice707 on May 19th, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

when will the store be back up @ 4 how do you know this if it is true

+ boyejoboy on May 19th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

i guess that might be some xbox fan prank/crap
my new slim 320gb ps3 system never make any sound or heat up, if you are using older model maybe its time to upgrade,
Don’t use pentium to do the work of i7

+ irwlZ on May 19th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

I just Find it AMAZING that Patrick STILL NEVER REPLIES to any of us about anything Wish i lived in Europe because the EU Public Rep actually TALKS TO ITS CUSTOMERS This justifies the old saying ” People Rise to The Level of Their Incompetence”

+ informer on May 19th, 2011 at 6:05 pm said:

No problems overheating, freeze or lag issues with L.A. Noire so far, I’m about 40% into the game. I even had it on for 6+ hours straight today. I have a 60GB “fat” launch model with a 500GB swapped HD.

I do, however, have the bluetooth controller disconnect issues that occurs once in a while ever since launch that Sony refuses to acknowledge on “fat” PS3′s……

+ a7x_RoCk3r on May 19th, 2011 at 6:07 pm said:

@SOOPERGOOMAN187 Aww, think your tough? it’s ok..Socom 4 is a kids game too. Come meet me on a real socom and i’ll whip your ass inside out.

+ PimblyCharles on May 19th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

I feel so bad for the users having overheating & freezing problems! It’s just not fair after all this. However, I’m not surprised that LA Noire’s engine is probably just as much a cause as the firmware update (possibly). Not many console games, includingXB360, use ssao (ambient occlusion) and what looks like 2x-4x anti-aliasing. Also, the LOD of all the textures in the game is too small of an increment between each new compression. Basically, what I mean is that this game is fricking gorgeous, and uses all the graphics tricks in the book. However, for this reason, it causes the consoles to gain more heat than can be dispersed. I really hope it’s a firmware issue, otherwise I don’t see an easy solution in the future from Rockstar & Team Bondi. By the way, I have one of the newer 320GB PS3 Slims & haven’t had LA Noire freeze once. The framerate is all over the place though, which is normal for this type of game engine. Maybe the older PS3 models don’t have the proper heat dispersement capabilities that the newer models do?

+ NeoX360 on May 19th, 2011 at 6:23 pm said:

Wow, some of these comments are amazing! Is the blog even moderated any more? Everyone needs to chill out. Of course the PS3 too and then there wouldn’t be any problems. But I have heard the fans kick on in a PS3 and it obviously is designed that way when things get hot. Certain games can make your PS3 heat up more then others. It could be that this game pushes the PS3 to its limits. Or there could be a bug in it that is causing it to use more computing power then it is supposed to. I have seen this happen on PCs and you end up with the same kind of symptoms, a loud fan and freezes and black screens.

Hopefully they can figure this all out.

+ invision2212 on May 19th, 2011 at 6:27 pm said:

supergoonman you said a few weeks ago you sold your ps3 for xbox because sony lied to you, you also said you sold all your stocks so why are you still here, your just a liar and troll and be gone.

+ PRE_-CISION-_ on May 19th, 2011 at 6:38 pm said:

Good thing I didnt buy it…

+ therealacevenom on May 19th, 2011 at 6:42 pm said:

I haven’t had a single problem.

+ IraqiRacer on May 19th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said: