PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Your Starhawk Questions Answered

Dylan Jobe's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Jobe on May 23, 2011 // President, LightBox Interactive

I can’t believe I’m posting on the PlayStation Blog again. It’s been forever! So what’s new you ask? Well, let’s see, not too much — oh yeah, we announced Starhawk! *cough* Finally. *cough*

The team and I have been wicked happy with the response from the media and the fans so far. Seeing you guys excited makes all the late nights worth it! But, we still have a lot of work ahead of us so thanks for all of the positive energy. We all know a good reveal is just the first step in making our fans happy and we’re looking forward to showing you guys even more tasty Starhawk content and get you more plugged into the Starhawk universe! So the other day I asked all of you on Twitter to send me Starhawk questions that you wanted to get answered, and while we’re still planning on doing a full FAQ post here on the PlayStation.Blog, I wanted to take a few of the questions that were popular and answer them straight away. Here goes:

Starhawk for PS3

Does Starhawk have two flight modes?

YES. Initially we wanted to have Starhawk use only a single flight mode so that all players were unified. We worked a lot on this but ultimately decided that the needs of a newbie player and the needs of a hardcore Warhawk fan were just too far apart and we weren’t willing to make the compromises needed to jam everyone into a single flight mode. So…Starhawk has two flight modes and both are great! The default mode is very simple and great for new to mid-level players (and yes, reverse aiming issues have been fixed). It’s a re-vamped version of our “arcade mode” (but much better), thanks in part to a lot of play testing on it. The advanced mode is for players that want even more control while flying around in the Hawk. It’s just like Warhawk’s “pro mode” flight mode.

Server list or matchmaking?

In Starhawk you have both. Matchmaking is good for casual players that just want to be put into a game quickly, or for when we need to enforce that players are not “cheating” or stat padding or whatever you want to call it. It lets the Starhawk servers control which players get put into which games. That said, our fans LOVE it so we let you browse the custom “non-official” games through a server list. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Is Starhawk’s character camera new?

YES. We got a lot of questions from people that noticed from the video that there was a tight over-the-shoulder (OTS) camera in some of the shots. We still have a normal camera that is further away from the character, although it is a bit closer than what we had in Warhawk. However, this new OTS aiming mode is enabled when you zoom in with your weapon. It gives you a combat choice—you can do your normal run-and-gun at some cost of accuracy or you can go OTS for more accuracy, although you’ll be a bit slower.

Does Starhawk still use weapon pickups?

Hell yes! I was actually surprised that people were worried about this. It was interesting to see the Tweets from people who were scared that we might be going to a class-based load out approach. No! We still have pickups. And getting a weapon is not limited by rank. That kind of thing just doesn’t work for our type of gameplay. In fact, weapon pickups are an important part of Build & Battle. For example, If you want your team to have “snipers,” you can build lookout towers which include the sniper rifle pickup. Or, if you want some heavy weapons, you can build a supply bunker to get a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Now of course we are still in the process of tuning the game so things are always bound to change, but this should give you a good idea of where we’re headed.

Starhawk for PS3

Are there space environments?

100% YES. The outer space environment set that the art team here at LightBox Interactive has put together is really awesome. Super fun to play on and looks great. Some of the elements are still being worked on and we don’t want to show it untill we’re 100% happy with it. But since sooo many of you guys asked, Sony was okay with me at least telling you that Starhawk was not just about terrain battles. :-)

There are a ton of other questions that you sent me and I will answer them as soon as I can, but for now, I wanted to get a little bit more info out to you all! Hopefully I’ll get to see some of you at E3 if you swing by to get your hands on Starhawk! Keep your eyes on the PlayStation.Blog and www.starhawkthegame.com for more updates, and if you’re interested in seeing behind the production curtain a bit, I often post behind the scenes pics of us making Starhawk on my Twitter account @dylanjobe, so check it out!

Okay, that’s really it for right now. Maybe I’ll include a puzzle with my next blog post—I promise it will be more challenging than the stuff I posted for Warhawk :-P

PAGE 1 2 3 7

+ XxGameRChixX on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

Nice

+ fuzzybrown12 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

This is super cool, but I still want some updates on the PS store ……

+ J-ToWne421 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

WE WANT OUR PURCHASED ADD ONES BACK.. DAMN THIS GAME AND ALL THE OTHERS YOURE MARKETING WANT OR STUFF BACK GIVE US SOMETHING A DATE A DEADLINE ANYTHING

+ WWWXWWWXWWWXWWWX on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

+ explosive78 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

Great star battles

+ PainOfSarrow on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

so you can answer these questions but not… NVM. kool game. lol

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

LOL — there are other questions that we will be answering, we just wanted to get these out right now. More to come!!

+ TOOHIZZY334 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

Seriously !!!??? Wassup with the ps store ??!! Laggn it !!

+ RobynnDarcy on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

How about our playstation store questions answered.

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

I want a PSN Store update yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

+ JIMMY003 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

im a boss

+ mywhitenoise on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

Dylan, can we get some Double XP weekends for Warhawk?

Maybe a sale for the digital version, as well? I want to buy a few copies for my friends, but would rather support you directly, rather than Gamestop.

+ J-ToWne421 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

I WANT MY ADD ONS BACK DAMN ALL YOUR NEW GAMES

+ Lord_Ka1n on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

storeplz

+ doodooshorts on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

Looks fantastic!!! it may take away from my C.O.D time but i think ill live……:)

+ MattDamon20J on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

@ 3

jeeze, go play a game online, that is what everybody wanted. Sony makes it were you can play online, and they said the psn would come up in stages. Which means online gaming first and the store will come on later. Chill when the store comes back up you are gonna be b****ing because there isn’t enough cool stuff in the store or the free stuff your gonna get isn’t gonna be what you want. It is a free service suck it up, the store will be back.

+ PirateThom on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

Funny enough, I was discussing with someone the other day how Warhawk has, easily, one of the best online set ups of any console game in terms of options, something no game since then has picked up on and that was years ago. It seems odd that one of Warhawk’s biggest positive points was also one of its most overlooked when people talk about the game.

+ StickOfDoomXx on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

So, any news on the store please?

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

Please bring back hovers.

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

L.A. Norie!

+ doodooshorts on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

no matter what they will find a reason to cry. grow up and have some fun! enjoy what you have….its like without the store the playstation 3 is worthless to you. that just makes ya sound [DELETED].

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

will starhawk preored in 2012 can you get a warhawk game voutour

+ J-ToWne421 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR NEW GAMES WE WANT WHAT WE ALEADY PAID FOR BACK……!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

sorry

+ resist_this13 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

I could already see bunkers being built with sniper towers next to them to make a whole base.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Yeah, its really exciting to see how different players and teams build up their bases. Lots of cool strategies and we’re always glad to see strats that we didn’t anticipate!

+ MattDamon20J on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

your gonna get it back and what did you pay for? why would you buy a game and want to pay for add ons, if the game needs add ons its an incomplete game.

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

what the f***

+ fuzzybrown12 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

@24

or maybe the disc itself is not large enough to hold all the stuff the devs made for the game…..

I second the call for the store back, it’s been long enough

ps. if we want to complain about not getting to spend our money, then we will goddamn well do it

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

will get a free warhawk game voutou to your psn store
to preored in 2012
part of starhawk will it come in the psn store

+ Sirynx77 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

This is so tough, to wait and wait and wait…. I want to play Starhawk NOW!!!! But like a good boy I will wait for Dylan and the team at LightBox Interactive polish this game to the point of perfection. Until then, I will continue to play the PS3 classic Warhawk.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

Thanks for your patience! We want nothing more than to build a great game for all of you to enjoy but you know how it goes :-)

+ CaptenMidnite on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

psn store update please. im fed up with this “coming soon” $hit

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

shoot

+ sonic5423 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

Please sony, i have been waiting for 3 months to download final fantasy 7 and just when i got a 20 dollar card for a present, the store went down:’( please fix the store tomorrow, its my last day of school and i would love to play this classic :(

+ MarinoBrea on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

TA-TAAAAH
TA-TA-TA-TA-TAAH
TA-TA-TA-TA
TA-TA-TATAAAAAAAAAH

+ NiteVersions on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Dylan, can we have Double XP days for Warhawk? :)

+ maxvtec on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

please tell me this is gonna be playable WITH THE PLAYSTATION MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

i had no idea will the starhawk beta coming soon

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

We do have a public BETA planned but we can’t talk about the details at this time.

+ resist_this13 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Guys the store probably wont be back in that long, we were promised games, and there can’t be much more time needed to finish up. I mean just have fun with online. They could have not even got that back yet.

+ DarkRecoil on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Will Starhawk be also available from PSN as a direct download like Warhawk was?

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

Starhawk will ship on Blu-ray with DLC available on the PlayStation Network.

+ seph1r0th00 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Warhawks had hover & flight modes. Will Starhawks also have the ability to hover?

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:36 pm said:

The Hawk in Starhawk has 2 modes: Air-based Flight mode and Ground-based Mech mode. We opted for the Mech mode over the Hover mode for a variety of reasons. Balance being one of the biggest.

In Warhawk, the Warhawk aircraft was very powerful and its hover mode was really hard to defend against if you were on the ground. The Hawk’s mech mode looks to bring a bit more balance to the combat against ground units — plus the mech is just cool ;-)

+ J-ToWne421 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

WHAT ABOUT MY MERCHANDISE I PAID FOR QUESTINS WHAT ABOUT THEM WHO GIVES A ______ ABOUT THIS GAME?

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

The Hawks needs to have HOVERS.

Okay?

+ Massive_13 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

I need that PS Store so I can re-download my Madden 11 Online pass… Without it I can’t play football online.

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

can starhawk gonna get the cover it says 3d conpadable game on it

+ RJ49-8HBG-LDB3 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

nope it can

+ Massive_13 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

my bad… my bad… couldn’t help myself… I’m kinda feeling this StarHawk though.

+ maxvtec on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

is it PlayStation Move compatible?

+ Mobius_124 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

I F***KING LOVE LAN PARTIES!!!!!!!!!!

+ tomstockmail on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

How about everyone stops spamming and asking for store updates?

On a RELATED note for once in these comments:
Is the space level dogfight strictly or will there be some sort of spacesuit cowboys/girls running around?

+ StickOfDoomXx on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

I need to store so I can GIVE YOU GUYS SOME MONEY! GIVE IT US ASAP!

PAGE 1 2 3 7