PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Your Starhawk Questions Answered

Dylan Jobe's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Jobe on May 23, 2011 // President, LightBox Interactive

I can’t believe I’m posting on the PlayStation Blog again. It’s been forever! So what’s new you ask? Well, let’s see, not too much — oh yeah, we announced Starhawk! *cough* Finally. *cough*

The team and I have been wicked happy with the response from the media and the fans so far. Seeing you guys excited makes all the late nights worth it! But, we still have a lot of work ahead of us so thanks for all of the positive energy. We all know a good reveal is just the first step in making our fans happy and we’re looking forward to showing you guys even more tasty Starhawk content and get you more plugged into the Starhawk universe! So the other day I asked all of you on Twitter to send me Starhawk questions that you wanted to get answered, and while we’re still planning on doing a full FAQ post here on the PlayStation.Blog, I wanted to take a few of the questions that were popular and answer them straight away. Here goes:

Starhawk for PS3

Does Starhawk have two flight modes?

YES. Initially we wanted to have Starhawk use only a single flight mode so that all players were unified. We worked a lot on this but ultimately decided that the needs of a newbie player and the needs of a hardcore Warhawk fan were just too far apart and we weren’t willing to make the compromises needed to jam everyone into a single flight mode. So…Starhawk has two flight modes and both are great! The default mode is very simple and great for new to mid-level players (and yes, reverse aiming issues have been fixed). It’s a re-vamped version of our “arcade mode” (but much better), thanks in part to a lot of play testing on it. The advanced mode is for players that want even more control while flying around in the Hawk. It’s just like Warhawk’s “pro mode” flight mode.

Server list or matchmaking?

In Starhawk you have both. Matchmaking is good for casual players that just want to be put into a game quickly, or for when we need to enforce that players are not “cheating” or stat padding or whatever you want to call it. It lets the Starhawk servers control which players get put into which games. That said, our fans LOVE it so we let you browse the custom “non-official” games through a server list. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Is Starhawk’s character camera new?

YES. We got a lot of questions from people that noticed from the video that there was a tight over-the-shoulder (OTS) camera in some of the shots. We still have a normal camera that is further away from the character, although it is a bit closer than what we had in Warhawk. However, this new OTS aiming mode is enabled when you zoom in with your weapon. It gives you a combat choice—you can do your normal run-and-gun at some cost of accuracy or you can go OTS for more accuracy, although you’ll be a bit slower.

Does Starhawk still use weapon pickups?

Hell yes! I was actually surprised that people were worried about this. It was interesting to see the Tweets from people who were scared that we might be going to a class-based load out approach. No! We still have pickups. And getting a weapon is not limited by rank. That kind of thing just doesn’t work for our type of gameplay. In fact, weapon pickups are an important part of Build & Battle. For example, If you want your team to have “snipers,” you can build lookout towers which include the sniper rifle pickup. Or, if you want some heavy weapons, you can build a supply bunker to get a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Now of course we are still in the process of tuning the game so things are always bound to change, but this should give you a good idea of where we’re headed.

Starhawk for PS3

Are there space environments?

100% YES. The outer space environment set that the art team here at LightBox Interactive has put together is really awesome. Super fun to play on and looks great. Some of the elements are still being worked on and we don’t want to show it untill we’re 100% happy with it. But since sooo many of you guys asked, Sony was okay with me at least telling you that Starhawk was not just about terrain battles. :-)

There are a ton of other questions that you sent me and I will answer them as soon as I can, but for now, I wanted to get a little bit more info out to you all! Hopefully I’ll get to see some of you at E3 if you swing by to get your hands on Starhawk! Keep your eyes on the PlayStation.Blog and www.starhawkthegame.com for more updates, and if you’re interested in seeing behind the production curtain a bit, I often post behind the scenes pics of us making Starhawk on my Twitter account @dylanjobe, so check it out!

Okay, that’s really it for right now. Maybe I’ll include a puzzle with my next blog post—I promise it will be more challenging than the stuff I posted for Warhawk :-P

PAGE 1 2 3 4 7

+ MattDamon20J on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

what could they not fit onto a blue ray disc? they can hold GTA 5 and both Add ons on one disc. What they couldn’t hold 2 more costumes on a disc when they could fit GTA 5 and both add ons, pretty much 3 games in one disc.

+ Devin93 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

Disappointed that you guys are doing weird stuff with the camera view and matchmaking. Please keep a normal camera like you have in Warhawk. OTS is horrible and I’ve hated it in every game, it simply gets in the way. So from what I read, you guys aren’t putting official servers in a server list, which is also disappointing. I hope to see them in both. You guys better be keeping player ranked and dedicated ranked servers.

+ JP4560 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

So Im assuming Hover mode is Gone? damn I really liked hovering to enjoy the view sometimes

+ MrGamerz123 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

It looks awesome, but I hope it supports local multiplayer, (both online and offline) and bots for offline warfare.

+ EvoAnubis on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

Can’t wait, man! Longtime Warhawk vet, now retired, really excited about getting back into things!

A warning to all of you who will be picking up this game: Stay the hell out of MY skies! Year One Warhawk players who have faced me before can tell you why.

Dylan, I hope there will be more tournaments with this one!

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

I am ignored again…..-__-

+ infamousXX87XX on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

would love for in depth details on how the build and battle system works and how many times can you use it per match. Day 1 btw

+ sonic5423 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

Tomorrow? please? ive been dying for some ff7 action

+ yazter on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

When is the PS Store coming back?!!?

LOLOLOL! Kidding!

Anyway, I have read IGN’s despicable “review” of the game, marking on the protagonist’s “background” as a point of conflict. You can’t spell “ignorant” without the first three letters. Knowing that, I’ve decided to buy the game because I feel it’s good and I’m more interested in the story.

+ poisonedsodapop on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

I may be sexist but I just really wanna know if I can play as a girl in this one. Too few developers really look out for the females who play online. Game looks amazing though. If it keeps shaping up how it is you got a day one buy from me.

+ perrandy on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

pew pew pew!

+ almighty-slayer on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

Weapon pickups + Matchmaking = even more sold than i already was

+ WarHawk_ on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:36 pm said:

Bring on the Puzzllleee !!! and thanks for the info and keeping us updated Mr.Jobe.
As my name already states, I’m a big fan of Warhawk.. And there is no doubt in my mind that you guys can make Starhawk just as awesome (hell… why not –> more awesome) than Warhawk.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next post :)

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:36 pm said:

can we customize our hawks just like in warhawk?

you can’t answer this either?

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

You can customize your vehicles!

+ WO_oLL3Y on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:36 pm said:

Glad to hear a lot of these things are coming back from Starhawk. I still play Warhawk all the time so I’m looking forward to starhawk even though I’m still skeptical about it. I hope that when more information and videos are released I’ll be able to get fully on-board with Starhawk.

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:41 pm said:

Good to hear. Keep an eye on our Starhawk updates and hopefully we’ll get you converted back to the darkside ;-)

+ Chase167 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

1.will be any female players
2.will there be separate login for split screen and other things like trophies

+ deathwillcome79 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

i love that you guys give us updates on new and great games BUT when will the ps store be back up i hope before 2012 when this game comes out PS STORE UPDATE PLEASE

+ Devin93 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

Is hover mode gone?

Will the d-pad weapon select still be in use in Starhawk?

Is there tanks, jeeps, and other vehicles?

How many maps will there be?

How many game modes will there be?

Why is there a dedicated knife button now?

Will there be player ranked and dedicated ranked servers?

Will there be dynamic weather?

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Lots of questions! Good questions! Can’t answer them all right now but we will in the days ahead !!

ok…I’ll be a good sport and answer one right now:

YES, there is a dedicated Knife button and a dedicated Flares button ;-)

+ DragAssassino on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Guess what! IM buying this! This looks intense!

+ Cyris on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Dylan Jobe, you are one of my favorite devs of all time. I love how you are so passionate about your games. It really shows in your interviews, and it shines through the quality of you and your team’s work. If you and David Jaffe made a game together, it would be the world’s first and only “perfect” game.

I can’t wait to play Starhawk. I didn’t think a sequel for Warhawk could be any better, but you, sir, proved me wrong.

Thank you.

+ Globox_82 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Dylan please tell me that control scheme is at least optional, that was the reason why I didn’t play Warhawk. Hated controls.
Is L1 to pull up the gun and R1 to shoot?! Please say YES!

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

YES. We did extensive testing and found that with a few tweaks to our control scheme, we could keep all the points of interaction that Warhawk had, while at the same time, make the controls feel a bit more “natural” to the big audience of shooter fans who may not have played Warhawk.

+ Dabarius on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:41 pm said:

This is a bit off topic but… whens the ps store comin back? btw will there still be clans and color optional equiptment? in warhawk i remember once you get to command seargeant you can color your pants-1 LTD shirt & commander was helmet. btw on warhawk some of the medals needed to level up were almost imposible for me to get… can you make em any easier?

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 pm said:

The ranking up system has gotten an overhaul and is better. You’re right, some of the medals in Warhawk were insane-o difficult!

+ almighty-slayer on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:41 pm said:

Also, Dylan, you are AWESOME. Just saying ;)

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

JUST ONE QUESTION..WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT TILL 2012..IVE LOVED THIS GAME SINCE 2007 AND NOW I GET TO SEE IT THIS YEAR AND GET THE WORST NEWS ABOUT THIS GAME ..A 2012 RELEASE DATE..COME ON! YOU GUYS ARE PULLING A GT5 ON US…MAKING US WAIT ANOTHER YEAR! WELL ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING AND THANK YOU FOR PUTTING A CAMPAIGN IN THERE. I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION – SINCE I KNOW THE FIRST ONE DIDN’T REALLY COUNT :P – WILL THERE BE CO-OP CAMPAIGN? PLEASE SAY..HELL YEAH!

+ SunnyBoy on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

TORGO TIME!!!! @1:19 LOL

+ Mini_Sal on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

Could you please give us a little more info on the clan system?

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

I would love to but I can’t right now :-(

Please know that there is so much new community and clan stuff in Starhawk that our Warhawk fans are going to be really happy.

*fingers-crossed*

+ LightKiosk on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

Because you sadly never replied via Twitter, I decided to ask you here where you can *hopefully* answer.

I’m quick to see small things, but I’m not too sure about this one. Is the “01042009″ on the pistol on the Starhawk website referring to when Lightbox Interactive was announced/founded? (On the LightBox Interactive site it says LightBox Interactive was “founded in January 2009″, so I can only assume I hit the nail on the head here).

I’d really love a response, and the game looks awesome! (Me and my brother are players from day one on his account gangstakid27 on Warhawk).

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:56 pm said:

nail on the head ;-)

+ Maleskk on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

Thank Dylan for your games, it’s amazing, ^^

+ a7x_RoCk3r on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:46 pm said:

You HAVE to have an estimate on how far your complete with the PSN store..Come on..I’m dying to play homefront and download nam for BC2..

+ mikeyb4real on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

I’m glad to hear you kept weapons pick ups, I tell fellow workers that it’s one thing about Warhawk that I think sets it apart and shows more of a persons playing ability not just how long they’ve been playing and unlocked weapons.

+ I_NEED_MINES on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

lolololol

+ mDmola on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

Looking forward to this game. I can actually see myself playing this over the so called “big games” because this has some fresh ideas. The whole RTS aspect is brilliant. Anyways one question Dylan:

Are there going to be any further enhancements to the visuals?

For example is there going to be an inclusion of a little bit of motion blur into the action or improvements to the look of explosions. Only asking cause these are some of the little things that seem to intensify the whole gameplay experience for me (since there’s going to be a lot of moving and explosions during gameplay).

Thanks!

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

We’re always working on improvements to the game and so its safe to say many aspects of the game get more refined as the days and months progress.

+ Oshimai on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Hey Dylan,

How will Build&Battle work in space? Also, I noticed in the concept art there are huge ships/capital ships. Are these giant ships going to be included in the space battles? I hope you can answer these questions!

+ Plstcsldgr on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Did we really need to take out sixaxi?s though i’ve been trying to learn the sticked regular flight, since the warhawk beta i’ve been playing with proflight sixaxis controls. I started maybe because it was the gimmick at the time but i fell in love. It really dissapointted me that you didn’t carry this over.

+ Decptuhkon on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

Are you guys going to create some sort of party system to make it easier to play with your friends? If not i think that is a very important feature. Thanks for all the hard work on this game I’m a big fan

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

This is something we talked about in our Starhawk event here in Austin so thankfully I can talk about this.

YES, there is a party system so you and you buddies can go from game to game, adding new people to the party as you go. You can also set the VOIP to be isolated to just your party.

+ Decptuhkon on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

One more question I”m a little confused on the whole Build & Battle. Is that similar to capturing a zone in Warhawk where its in every game mode or is it its own game mode? Thanks

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

Build & Battle is a new feature that is available in all modes.

in a nutshell, its like being able to “summon” the buildings that you need, where you need them on the map.

So, lets say you are under fire and need a place to hide, you can build yourself a bunker. Or if you want to defend a specific choke point you can build big turrets, walls and gates.

There are many different structures in the game that you can build and all kinds of cool ways to use them.

+ Surfaced on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:56 pm said:

I’m with #78 about the party system.

I don’t understand why more games don’t do this. It’s like 90% of online multiplayer developers have no idea that the key to creating a sustained, intimate online game community is having THE PARTY SYSTEM.

There’s a reason Halo and Call of Duty are so darn popular. Why is this so hard for people to figure out?

So please, Dylan, tell me you guys are playing it smart. It’s not like you’ll have to violate patents to add this crucial feature.

+ SpiritThief on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

Lower the price of WARHAWK DLC!

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

+ hbsting on May 23rd, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

i really dont care i want the ps store back or dont you want my money……..

+ whoviantrekgater on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

Since I’ve never played Warhawk I suppose the demo and beta will decide whether or not I get this game. And now that Modern Warfare 3 is official it’d be nice to see a post on that and a post on AC Revelations would be nice too.

+ SunnyBoy on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

Hi Dylan, me and my brother love the mines weapon in Warhawk and can literally play the whole game using just that. He is more ruthless and disguisting with mines then I am, the kind of kills he gets is just sick. I was wondering if he Starhawk will have something similiar? watching some walk into a mine while u hide is just LOL!

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

There are mines: Ground and Air.

+ totnaks on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

sixaxis support? please let there be sixaxis support for flight controls

+ sonic5423 on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

Dylan, off topic but are the rumors about the store being up tomorrow true?

+ resist_this13 on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

Can we customize the looks of towers like colors, can we put turrets in them? Also one important question how easily do they break? As shown in the video one or two rockets from the starhawk’s mech form destroyed a tower. One more thing are we able to drop towers on enemies, it looked like someone did in the video.

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:22 pm said:

How much damage the different structures can take before they are destroyed is something that the design team here at LightBox Interactive is constantly working on. We play Starhawk multiplayer everyday and we’re always making little adjustments. And honestly, even after we release Starhawk, we’ll be making game balance changes to refine the experience — getting feedback from our players is critical.

Yes, you can crush people, vehicles and AI with Build & Battle!

+ The-ButtonMasher on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

This is a weird question but… Will there be snow/tundra like environments?

+ Diffusion_ on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

Guys they’re not going to give a date for the store because they’re worried people won’t log on until it’s open, they’d rather you just log in everyday and check for yourself because as long as you’re logged in you’re probably gonna play for a bit, and that’s what they want, us playing on their network

+ gameboy0895 on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

I would loooove to work at Lightbox. xD This is REAL game development. :)

+ Levi_Stum on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

So will there be a variety of terrain based maps? Like will there be kool jungle maps or snowy planet map things. Because I don’t really want all the maps to be just barren moon-like terrain.

Just wondering. :)

+ Dylan Jobe on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

The environments in Starhawk will give players a great range of combat spaces and we’re looking forward to showing you guys them in the days ahead!

+ tiger7758 on May 23rd, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

It so refreshing to see Dylan’s name on here again.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 7