PS4-Infamous

Your Starhawk Questions Answered

Dylan Jobe's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Jobe on May 23, 2011 // President, LightBox Interactive

I can’t believe I’m posting on the PlayStation Blog again. It’s been forever! So what’s new you ask? Well, let’s see, not too much — oh yeah, we announced Starhawk! *cough* Finally. *cough*

The team and I have been wicked happy with the response from the media and the fans so far. Seeing you guys excited makes all the late nights worth it! But, we still have a lot of work ahead of us so thanks for all of the positive energy. We all know a good reveal is just the first step in making our fans happy and we’re looking forward to showing you guys even more tasty Starhawk content and get you more plugged into the Starhawk universe! So the other day I asked all of you on Twitter to send me Starhawk questions that you wanted to get answered, and while we’re still planning on doing a full FAQ post here on the PlayStation.Blog, I wanted to take a few of the questions that were popular and answer them straight away. Here goes:

Starhawk for PS3

Does Starhawk have two flight modes?

YES. Initially we wanted to have Starhawk use only a single flight mode so that all players were unified. We worked a lot on this but ultimately decided that the needs of a newbie player and the needs of a hardcore Warhawk fan were just too far apart and we weren’t willing to make the compromises needed to jam everyone into a single flight mode. So…Starhawk has two flight modes and both are great! The default mode is very simple and great for new to mid-level players (and yes, reverse aiming issues have been fixed). It’s a re-vamped version of our “arcade mode” (but much better), thanks in part to a lot of play testing on it. The advanced mode is for players that want even more control while flying around in the Hawk. It’s just like Warhawk’s “pro mode” flight mode.

Server list or matchmaking?

In Starhawk you have both. Matchmaking is good for casual players that just want to be put into a game quickly, or for when we need to enforce that players are not “cheating” or stat padding or whatever you want to call it. It lets the Starhawk servers control which players get put into which games. That said, our fans LOVE it so we let you browse the custom “non-official” games through a server list. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Is Starhawk’s character camera new?

YES. We got a lot of questions from people that noticed from the video that there was a tight over-the-shoulder (OTS) camera in some of the shots. We still have a normal camera that is further away from the character, although it is a bit closer than what we had in Warhawk. However, this new OTS aiming mode is enabled when you zoom in with your weapon. It gives you a combat choice—you can do your normal run-and-gun at some cost of accuracy or you can go OTS for more accuracy, although you’ll be a bit slower.

Does Starhawk still use weapon pickups?

Hell yes! I was actually surprised that people were worried about this. It was interesting to see the Tweets from people who were scared that we might be going to a class-based load out approach. No! We still have pickups. And getting a weapon is not limited by rank. That kind of thing just doesn’t work for our type of gameplay. In fact, weapon pickups are an important part of Build & Battle. For example, If you want your team to have “snipers,” you can build lookout towers which include the sniper rifle pickup. Or, if you want some heavy weapons, you can build a supply bunker to get a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Now of course we are still in the process of tuning the game so things are always bound to change, but this should give you a good idea of where we’re headed.

Starhawk for PS3

Are there space environments?

100% YES. The outer space environment set that the art team here at LightBox Interactive has put together is really awesome. Super fun to play on and looks great. Some of the elements are still being worked on and we don’t want to show it untill we’re 100% happy with it. But since sooo many of you guys asked, Sony was okay with me at least telling you that Starhawk was not just about terrain battles. :-)

There are a ton of other questions that you sent me and I will answer them as soon as I can, but for now, I wanted to get a little bit more info out to you all! Hopefully I’ll get to see some of you at E3 if you swing by to get your hands on Starhawk! Keep your eyes on the PlayStation.Blog and www.starhawkthegame.com for more updates, and if you’re interested in seeing behind the production curtain a bit, I often post behind the scenes pics of us making Starhawk on my Twitter account @dylanjobe, so check it out!

Okay, that’s really it for right now. Maybe I’ll include a puzzle with my next blog post—I promise it will be more challenging than the stuff I posted for Warhawk :-P

PAGE 1 5 6 7

+ jwtherev on May 24th, 2011 at 6:56 am said:

Add me Bro

+ Enforcer_X on May 24th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

Sounds EPIC! I would expect nothing less from Dylan and the LightBox team.
Can’t wait! This is going to be awesome fun!

+ pokeystaples on May 24th, 2011 at 7:19 am said:

Will I be able to play as a female?

+ Elsa on May 24th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

I’ve been impatiently waiting on this announcement since the word “Starhawk” first started being whispered about! This announcement has made my year!! I’m going to E3 this year and really, really, really hope you bring Starhawk to E3!!
So glad to hear it’s still weapon pickups! So many games have gone to the whole perks thing and it’s nice to see a game that is bucking the trend and staying true to it’s roots. It really sounds like you’re staying true to Warhawk and simply making the game different and better (more balance) but also not alienating your existing fanbase in an attempt to be another COD clone.

Take my money.. and my husband’s money! We’ll be buying two copies of the game as this is a game we love to play together! (we started with your fabulous split screen, but soon we simply bought him his own copy – this was his first online game and he loved it!)

+ Elsa on May 24th, 2011 at 7:47 am said:

Oh.. and I echo pokeystaples question… can I play as a female???

+ R3DhairDNTcare on May 24th, 2011 at 7:47 am said:

NIICCEE

+ Elsa on May 24th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

… I just noticed in one of your answers that you mentioned that there WILL be perks/skills as unlocks. Will it be possible to disable these in private games? I like to play with my friends, but it totally sucks when one person has perks and dominates the game not because they’re better… but just because of perks they may have. Also is there stats for unranked play this time round?

+ AUG209 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

THE GAME LOOKS PRETTY GOOD, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT….

+ AUG209 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:31 am said:

NAH CUZ FEMALES DIE TO QUICK LOL… J/K

+ ElChingon2588 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:53 am said:

Wooo Cant wait for this game!

+ Rahabib on May 24th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

Move support? add this in, and I am your biggest fan!

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 24th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Dylan Jobe,

I loved Warhawk! I jumped in kinda late on the warhawk bandwagon and I wish I had done so earlier. For some reason the demo didn’t do it. I was an online MP noob and I just kept getting my ass handed to me. And there was no tutorial in the demo if I’m not mistaken, so I had a hard time figuring it out. But then I heard about it having split screen online for up to 4 players, so I gave in. One of the best purchases EVER. Thanks JOBE. That game rocked and Starhawk looks to be even better. Is that even possible?!?!?!

Anyway, I love the new OTS when you aim mechanic, but its a TPS when your not aiming. It sounds kind of like Uncharted. Am i right?

Another question I have is will the split screen online features from warhawk return? I really hope so. I have family who like to game together and we really enjoyed that feature in Warhawk. Lemme know Main !!! :D

+ SkyXhawk on May 24th, 2011 at 12:58 pm said:

Yay for the OTS view! in Warhawk I couldn’t play with the centered camera… it was sad. Now I can finally enjoy ground-combat, but please pay a lot of attention to the aerial combat zone and anything that has to do with the aerial combat. Some of us enjoy the aerial battles than ground! don’t leave us in the dark ^^ you have a lot to do maaan. Bring back six-axis too plz

+ Thane_of_Fife on May 24th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

This is awesome, i can’t wait for this. but hopefully we’ll see new vids in the coming days.

+ DanielDude97 on May 24th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

In Warhawk, a lot of people flipped my jeep over with their warhawks and then killed me.. Can they still do that? It’s really frustrating when you are capturing a flag and then get flipped over. Awesome game though :)

+ XIIIWARRIOR on May 24th, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

I’m a little worried about the build and battle mode. As it is, you have many people that don’t play the game right. You have your own teamates at times trying to kill you, Imagine your own teamates downing an entire building on you just for laughs?! That will piss me off as well as everyone else. Also, if there is 16 vs 16 how many options will you have to call down a fortress? Is it unlimited? In a way, I wish they also added a mode where there is no such thing as Build & Battle, I could see that being taken advantage of and I don’t mean in a good way.

+ KILLZONE79 on May 24th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

With Starhawk in the news, it got me excited to go back to warhawk, warhawk is my favorite PS3 exclusive was in warhawk beta and loved it. if you still play warhawk, see you guys online!

+ theultimatenub on May 24th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

This game looks interesting definitely great

+ Dr0Jackal on May 24th, 2011 at 9:02 pm said:

Really!!! a new game f#!@$ face, you think we are lil kids, trying to distract us with some bs update. get your act straight, you know what happened last time you pissed off the wrong crowd.

+ MsBloodyMary on May 24th, 2011 at 11:29 pm said:

I am wondering if the clothes/colors are the prizes while you rank up like in warhawk.I am just asking because thier are girls that love warhawk and it would be loved so much more if thier was something for us be distinguished between girl /and boys. Something like a ponytail or longhair, it could be a hair dew or clothes ,like shorts just anything girly. Anyways, i’ll play reguardless but i thought i’d ask.

+ madao777 on May 25th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

First off thanks for making starhawk for us fan :) i played warhawk over 1500 hours and still am mostly everyday :) but want to know one thing, is the sniper change at all? i am trying to say that, can i still no-scope like in warhawk because the best thing about warhawk is no scoping for me and i want to still make starhawk montages lol thanks :)

-madao777

+ krazykilla2043 on May 25th, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

Man this game looks amazing.

+ gameboy0895 on May 26th, 2011 at 5:09 pm said:

I’m concerned about not having fixed structures in Starhawk. Build and Battle is cool and all but I think without fixed structures here and there, it will get messy. I’m also concerned about the types of vehicles and how they’ve planned not to include a passenger in the Hawks. In Warhawk, I used it to give lifts to people sometimes. If they could add a turret for the passenger to control, that would be cool. :)

+ Dizzane on May 27th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

Will you still be able to customize your character like in Warhawk?

And will there be tournaments for in game trophies like the GGL Blades?

+ TheTreeFrog on May 30th, 2011 at 6:05 am said:

I’m colour blind and a big problem that I had with Warhawk was distinguishing between teams on both the mini and full map.
I’ve heard that other games have a colour blind friendly option and wondered whether this is something that you may have considered for Starhawk.

+ Darkuser999 on June 4th, 2011 at 7:13 pm said:

Don’t get me wrong. I love what i’m seeing so far and i’m happy with Dylan’s answers. I do have slight reservations about he said about set bases and environments. They should recognize EARLY any limits of the build and battle system. The system will be great for bunkers and conquering territories. Lets say you have a conquest mode and the idea is to colonise as much as possible. However, will there be restrictions on the number of buildings placed? How big will the maps be now? Will the map end up looking messy as opposed to beautiful? Also, how big and dynamic will the buildings be? Can you climb the buildings you build? If there are limitations, then the game will NEED set bases and buildings with some destructible properties, so that the environments remain interesting, dynamic and beautiful. Why would you want to fly over barren deserts and wastelands, when you can fly over cities?

+ Map209 on June 4th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

“Server list or matchmaking?
In Starhawk you have both.”
THIS!! GG and Zipper can learn a thing or two about pleasing your fanbase while keeping it somewhat (keyword somewhat) accessible to the casuals. I like what I see so far, I will be following this game closely.

+ xlinkai2 on June 17th, 2011 at 10:29 pm said:

TEXT CHAT in game. Please put text chat in game along with voice chat. PLEASE

+ xlinkai2 on June 17th, 2011 at 10:32 pm said:

OFFLINE BOTS please allow us to play offline with bots of varying difficulty on all game modes. I need to practice your amazing game.

FREE FOR ALL must have free for all deathmacth with and without vehicles and spawn choosing. THX

PAGE 1 5 6 7