Uncharted 4

inFAMOUS 2: The Beast is Coming

Nate Fox's Avatar + Posted by Nate Fox on May 24, 2011 // Game Director, Sucker Punch Productions

Here at Sucker Punch we’re tired. We’re whipped. Game development is a sprint. You run as hard as you can, then keep running. The problem is the goal line sometimes move mid-race. When you set out to make a game you sort of have an idea of what it’ll ultimately be… but that’s not what it ends up being. You only know what you’ve made once it’s done. Like you guys we experience the game, the real game, for the first time at the end of the road. And it’s exciting. It’s crazy to be playing the game and forget that you made it because you’re busy ducking an RPG rocket. You know that feeling you get when you actually dodge in your seat? Get that all the time. Cole and his friends have stopped being polygons and actors and have become real people. And it’s this reality that makes today’s post cool. Now that we’re so, so close to being done we can finally really talk about the “Big Bad” that pushes the whole story forward.

What’s the Beast, you ask? Like a meteor from outer space it’s a force of destruction too powerful for humanity to contain. At the end of inFamous, Cole MacGrath was given a vision that the Beast would arrive into the world and that he alone could stop it. The safety of our species was put on his shoulders. No pressure right? As you might imagine Cole would do anything in his power to get ready for the fight. He’s desperate to win, to save the lives of his friends and neighbors.

But at the start of inFamous 2 he fails. The Beast arrives and Cole isn’t strong enough. He’s forced to run south to New Marais and prepare for a second, final encounter while his home, Empire City, is swallowed in flames.

Have you ever failed at anything? Ever been dumped or fired or beat up? Ever tried your hardest and still lost? It’s sucks, right? Makes you feel hollowed out, weak. Like you don’t matter. Of course it’s exactly those moments that forge you into in a stronger person. I believe that we are defined by our failure more than our successes. Once you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and OVERCOME the thing that beat you, that’s when you really win. That’s when you’ve surpassed your past self. In inFAMOUS 2 you, help Cole get there. You guide him through New Marais; searching for new, stronger powers. Along the way you’ll meet potential allies who could help in your fight against the Beast. And you’ll need the help… the monster is moving down the coast, burning the landscape, getting stronger as it centers in on New Marais. Your back is against the wall, with only a few days to prepare for that second chance. Soon it’ll be time to overcome the things that have beaten you in the past. Are you up for it? After all, the Beast is Coming.

171 Comments

+ cosmis_chaos on May 24th, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

The beast is the Cloverfield monster. It makes so much sense now. It was unstoppable in the movie and only Cole can stop it now.

+ Crowkiid96 on May 24th, 2011 at 7:32 pm said:

Me want this now !!!!

+ theultimatenub on May 24th, 2011 at 7:32 pm said:

I have to buy this game

+ karoneen on May 24th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

add me if you want to help me get spec ops trophies mw2 thanks i need them…..

+ BakedDank420 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:21 pm said:

Please Sony, Hurry PLEASE

+ destroy619_ on May 24th, 2011 at 8:25 pm said:

Man i can’t wait until this game comes out.

+ alx681 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

cool beans.. this game comes out on the first day of my 1 week vacation.. video looks great, was hoping to get a glimpse of this BEAST..

+ aztekwarrior_26 on May 24th, 2011 at 8:38 pm said:

(yes i have no words 2 describe this game)

+ Ayon_Eopia on May 24th, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

I am seriously psyched for this game! I love electrokenesis and was thrilled to learn of a game where you could use it. Although, I still don’t see what was the problem with using the actor’s mocap AND the old voice actor’s voice…

+ solo013 on May 24th, 2011 at 9:33 pm said:

@99 I’d love to see a game featuring Clover!

+ FonFahbre on May 24th, 2011 at 10:27 pm said:

The game has gone gold right? *Takes out crowbar* I’ll be right back..

+ MrGamerz123 on May 24th, 2011 at 10:29 pm said:

Looks great, and the inclusion of the uncharted 3 beta makes it even better!

+ MrGamerz123 on May 24th, 2011 at 10:31 pm said:

Should I get Portal 2 or inFAMOUS 2?

+ Hazelhurst on May 24th, 2011 at 10:31 pm said:

Whoever does these trailers has talent. I’m envious.

+ Canadven on May 24th, 2011 at 10:36 pm said:

I’m just going to throw this out there, even after reading stuff in Game Informer, and stuff from other game sites, but….

Wouldn’t it suck if it turns out your just playing Cole, before he becomes Kessler & travels back in time and all!?

I mean after all, if you watch this short video, he has a scars on his face already, and Kessler had scars on his face when Cole first met him.

I was lead to believe Cole ended up getting them scars after the beast kicked his butt, and he ended up traveling to New Marais, to grow stronger and all, learn about himself, Kessler & The First Sons etc, so he could eventually have a rematch!?

Thats just my two cents, but then again, maybe they’ll have two endings or more this time!?

+ darknightjin840 on May 24th, 2011 at 10:54 pm said:

carzy

+ darknightjin840 on May 24th, 2011 at 10:54 pm said:

crazy

+ MattDamon20J on May 24th, 2011 at 11:24 pm said:

TAKE MY MONEY NOW

+ solace357 on May 24th, 2011 at 11:58 pm said:

Infamous 2 demo @ GameStop Store PS3 kiosks. FYI
Go get a taste of the awesome new melee combat! So satisfying!

+ siriusbee on May 25th, 2011 at 2:29 am said:

The first game was bollocks, and now they’re trying to pass it off as a ‘freebie’ for compensation of their immense failure.

Do you really think I’m am going to be compelled to play this rubbish?

+ leukoplast on May 25th, 2011 at 2:49 am said:

I am not sure I like the new VA for Cole, he sounds weak, like an inexperienced young adult. On the other hand Cole from Infamous (Jason Cottle) sounded totally bada** and had confidence in his voice. This new guy is weaksauce, sounds like some wimpy wannabe who is trying too hard to seem like a tough guy.

Probably the biggest letdown of Infamous 2 is the new VA for Cole, not sure why SP decided on a new guy, but it was a mistake. IMO the VA’s are almost as important as the story itself. But at least it sounds like you guys kept Zeke’s VA.

+ Spike-123_ on May 25th, 2011 at 3:40 am said:

Wow! Im dying for my Hero Edition!!!! The UGC Beta is ultra fun and the improvements over the first game are spectacular!! FYI, i have been doing some analysis on this trailer and you can actually see the beast if you look close enough between 0:36 and 0:38, you see his skiny but massive body outline just above Coles head while he is running. :D

+ GUNBEHINDTHESUN on May 25th, 2011 at 3:42 am said:

This video reminds me of Cloverfield. The action in this game looks awesome. One thing that would make it better is the facial motion capture like they used in L.A. Noire. That would be more awesome. I am looking forward to check out this game.

+ mortar2014 on May 25th, 2011 at 3:49 am said:

hey sony when the ps store comes up will thiis beta be for everyone.

+ avdagamer1 on May 25th, 2011 at 4:11 am said:

June seventh, we get a game that shows that ps3 kicks xbox’s butt.

+ heamcastro on May 25th, 2011 at 4:24 am said:

Man, this game gonna be crushing!!!

+ KILLERBONEZ10 on May 25th, 2011 at 4:32 am said:

yesterday i went to ebgames to buy a psn card.so im still waiting.ps store will come at may 31 st

+ KILLERBONEZ10 on May 25th, 2011 at 4:33 am said:

p.s the guy from ebgames said that itll come at may 31st not me

+ MattDamon20J on May 25th, 2011 at 5:02 am said:

Yeah I noticed, Cole’s voice does sound different, but I’m starting to get used to it. Cole doesn’t look as different as I originally thought he did. I cannot wait for this game, i’m really thinking about upgrading my preorder to the hero edition.

+ Sparx88 on May 25th, 2011 at 5:32 am said:

Very nice! Good to finally know how to pronounce the name of the city (I was way off, lol). I was already going to get this day 1 so while the inclusion of the U3 beta is a welcome surprise it wasn’t going to push me anymore than the game has already done. Even after plat’ing the first one I still found reasons to go back and replay it and I’m sure the same will be true for this one.

P.S. – Not that they’re needed but will there be any kind of unlockable perks for having an InFamous save data on the drive?

+ Sparx88 on May 25th, 2011 at 5:47 am said:

@118 I don’t know if it helps but I like to think of this vocal version as the ‘true’ Cole. For me it helps to rationalize it in the sense that because Cole was in the middle of a major incident it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to say that Cole was still recovering from some scarring in his throat. Now that he’s had some more time to recover it could be that he’s getting back normal. Its also the same rationing that didn’t make me cringe at the original redesign of Cole as much as everyone else. In fact I kinda hope the redesign is available as an optional skin.

+ NiiKe-KiiCkZ on May 25th, 2011 at 5:47 am said:

Looks incredible. Day 1 buy for sure.

+ Seiven on May 25th, 2011 at 6:16 am said:

I don’t like the new voice actors…and am iffy on the new look for Cole and Zeke. I LOVED the first game, beat it 3 times and will probably be doing it again before this one comes out. Don’t let us down Sucker Punch.

+ MilaNumber14 on May 25th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

Holy sh– …

That’s my first reaction to the “beast”

+ Kixur on May 25th, 2011 at 6:45 am said:

Bring – it – oooooooooooooooooooon!!!

+ Angelshadow_7 on May 25th, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

If this is the Beginning of inFAMOUS 2, how come Cole’s got scars all over he’s face??? I Platinum the first inFAMOUS and i dont remember him getting those scars!!

What ever happen with the original voice o Cole’s?? Or Why it sound so different??

Ahhhh so impacient for this AWESOME GAME!!

+ Goddly82 on May 25th, 2011 at 7:36 am said:

Epic game, hopefully soon to be an epic series!!, lol “The beast is coming”

+ alok893 on May 25th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

I’m uploading missions in the beta.Hope u add my missions to the final game Sucker Punch.
Epic Trailer By the Way!

+ knightmarekid on May 25th, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

AAWWSSSOME!! :DD

+ ANGIROX on May 25th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

THIS IS EPIC does anyone know if u get the free download infamous will u b able to use ur save file from the a real cd version?????

+ ANGIROX on May 25th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

@sparxx88
if u get the collecters edition u get original clothes as a skin

+ jay-sleep on May 25th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

i really liked the original, i’m sure there’s a good reason, but what’s with the new voice?

+ PlasmaNugget on May 25th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

I love Infamous. Platinum-ed the 1st one, hope to do the same with the second :D

+ bpin1 on May 25th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

At least when i buy this I can get the Uncharted beta early.

+ BEASTXJASON on May 25th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

Im beginning to shake with anticipation. It is now visibly noticeable

+ Lord_Ka1n on May 25th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

storeplz

+ g-man4309 on May 25th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

This game is going to be amazing, I loved the first one, pre ordered this one. Sucker Punch is goig to blow us away!!!!!!!!!!! GAME OF THE YEAR CONTENDER BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ bigjay151 on May 25th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

Good to be back Sony
Hey what up everyone.
I just want to say wasn’t the beast suppose to be a normal sized humaniod creature who kinda resembled cole? Because thats how it appeared in kesslers visions(Future Cole).

I just think big gaint monters are getting old i mean one big giant monster boss is ok.
But we already seen Kesslers vision and The beast was in man form please no giant monster

I mean I played so many giant monster games where the last level is this giant unbeatable monster who takes the fun out of the game.

But when I played inFAMOUS I thought theres probably going to be a big monster fight at the end of this game and I was wrong.You fight the BEST villian of all time on fair grounds without being slapped a mile away your health is at standard rate and it makes the game fun.

Ps. when thugs in the game shoot at you and you turn around and kill them with 2 – 3 moves its boring but to actually have someone to match your power is amazing a big gaint over laps your power making it boring

+ Dazer_54 on May 25th, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

Ah!! jeeze i can’t wait it’s going to be awsesome. You have to play the first one though.

+ clay0706 on May 25th, 2011 at 1:47 pm said:

Lol if it was 7-6-11 instead of 6-7-11 it would be my birthday!