PS3-TLOU Left Behind

New Official Wireless Stereo Headset Coming for PS3

Anand Agarwal's Avatar + Posted by Anand Agarwal on May 27, 2011 // Sr. Manager, Brand Marketing

Do you hear that sound? It’s the sound of the enemy approaching your bunker. Only you’ve heard them way before they’ve even seen you and now your commandos are ready to unload. What’s your advantage? It’s simple – the official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset – the latest addition to the PlayStation 3 accessories family.

Official Wireless Stereo Headset for PS3Official Wireless Stereo Headset for PS3

The official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset will be available for $99.99 (MSRP) at retailers nationwide this September. Many more of your favorite franchises, such as Killzone and Gran Turismo, were also designed for surround sound audio. Featuring 7.1 virtual surround sound, the Wireless Stereo Headset lets you hear all the minor in-game audio clues clearly, whether you are in a firefight in a first-person shooter game or racing for the checkered flag.

Designed with comfort in mind for hours of gameplay, it’s the perfect addition to your PlayStation experience. Connecting the Wireless Stereo Headset with PS3 is made easy with the included USB Wireless Adapter. Precise volume controls and accessible microphone mute make it so you never have to interrupt gameplay to fumble for buttons. You can easily stay informed about battery status, sound controls, etc. with on-screen headset status updates. On top of that, the Wireless Stereo Headset also offers the highest quality voice chat for crystal clear online conversations. The mic is retractable so you can put it away if you just want to listen to music or play a single player game.

We’re very excited to be able to offer you yet another new way to get immersed in the game. Be sure to keep checking the Blog for more information soon.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 16

+ Pyrokid16 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

THAT IS SUCH A REDICULAS PRICE WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ guitarded77 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

Ok… that’s pretty cool… but too expensive.

+ Cat_Corye on May 27th, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

Awesome Sony, been looking for away to get 7.1 sound and didn’t really feel like getting speakers that have wires.

-_- more and more people crying about the store, and more people forgetting that Sony is spending lots of their own time working on this.

Plus they forget that Sony has their own team for the PSN.

+ Snoopy_Corleone on May 27th, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

@lilcanuck.

Should have remembered what Ayn Rand Said

“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.”

+ BJtheLegend on May 27th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

steep price. regardless…day 1 for me!

+ adolson on May 27th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

Totally getting this!

+ madhi19 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

Can we expect an update so that we can use the headset to say watch movies instead of just gaming.

+ Mobius_124 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

WOW, this looks sick!!! I just wonder how they sound.

+ dmanhill132 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

Bluetooth?

+ jazzyrider on May 27th, 2011 at 8:21 am said:

Interesting. Will it work for the other console? I would try it out first before buying since headphones can be a personal comfort thing.

+ lilcanuck on May 27th, 2011 at 8:21 am said:

to true i made the mistake of saying stuff yesterday and boy the names i was called lol just shows the maturity of some people

+ mykallin on May 27th, 2011 at 8:21 am said:

@Snoopy_Corleone
Ok so were both talking from different sides of audio.Yes when it comes to the software aspect of it,it does take alot more to get everything working properly..I never went too far into software I was always the person to take my time to learn the inside of machines..Like sony will ever get me to pay 150 for them to clean the lens on my disk drive haha

+ Enforcer_X on May 27th, 2011 at 8:21 am said:

Come on Sony USB adapter? Seriously? The new PS’3 have 2 ports why can’t this headset be Bluetooth especially for $100 is there a technical reason?

+ TomHoang on May 27th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

What kind of battery will this run on? Will it have a rechargable Li-on battery?

+ justin1305 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

IMA GET ME ONE!

+ KILLZONE79 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

Cool, but i love my turtle beach headsets :)

+ Snoopy_Corleone on May 27th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

@mykallin

I am less familiar with the physical aspects of headphones ect.

I do notice a difference between different headsets, usually enough to justify my purchase.

While there is a lot of snake oil in the audiophile world, I can honestly say its not *all* snakeoil..

After working at radioshack and seeing people buy megaphones and powerhorns to hook up for musical purposes I have been pretty disappointed with humanity.

I have also seen pretty big gains from going from say my plantronics gamerscon headset (non usb version) to audiotecnica es7′s and then to my Senn hd 598′s and from ipod earbuds at the very start its all major imrpovements.

Actually having a soundstage is amazing in itself.

+ nikolai85 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

Interesting… if you look at the product page that Sony has put up for this it mentions that the surround sound feature requires “Surround sound on the PS3™ requires system software version 3.70 or later”.

Guess we should expect some new firmware soon.

+ Link01 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

I just bought a wireless turtle beach headset… wth?

+ LionsguardAgrias on May 27th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

Looks interesting. I wish you could collapse the mic and just use it as a set of headphones.

+ craig-handley on May 27th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

Are these going to be available in the EU (UK)?

+ Warkthogus on May 27th, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

“for just $99″

The front page kills me sometimes.

+ Myke-Myke on May 27th, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

Oooh. A new toy.

Ima have to try out a pair of these!

Good job Sony

+ OVERDOSE665 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:33 am said:

Buying these damn looks great!!!!

+ BakedDank420 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

Awesome, but I’m not really worried about headphones, I’m really curious about when the PS Store will be on in NA.

+ Eblis01 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

if they are as good as Turtle Beach’s ill get a pair

+ Aleks_Buckeye on May 27th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

Drool…

+ Zeldrick on May 27th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

“…or play a single player game.”

I like everything this is offering, but you would get more functionality as a headset, while playing a single player game, if we had XMB voice chat WHILE playing a single player game, instead of just text chat.

+ mykallin on May 27th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

@Snoopy_Corleone
Yeah there is alot of difference in today’s systems but the one system that I am trying to figure out is the Bose surround sound that only uses one dock..On that note why don’t they start making gaming headsets..

+ archism74 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

Im sorry but a 100 dollars too hear people talking nasty and people neglecting there crying babies in the background while you play. No thanks.

+ Link01 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

Also, I hate how the photos are on private share. Why doesn’t this include a rechargeable battery built in. I’m a little surprised in this. If it turns out better then my turtle beach though, I might just pick it up too :D

+ Link01 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

@archism74, that isn’t what the headset is about. You people don’t understand that professional gamers use this stuff as an advantage. It’s about immersion and sound. It’s about hearing the footstep behind you… the headset portion can be muted and ignored (that’s just an option).

+ TomHoang on May 27th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

@123 Lionguardagrias

“The mic is retractable so you can put it away if you just want to listen to music or play a single player game.”

You’re welcome :)

+ King_of_Kats on May 27th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

rechargeable or battery operated?

+ toology01 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

As others have commented, can someone let us know if this will work with other devices? Sepcifically a Mac/PC. I wouldnt mind being able to bring this over to my iMac to play some World of Warcraft with too. Hope it does, im sold.

+ LionsguardAgrias on May 27th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

@TomHoang
I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the info. :-)

+ Victoryismine52 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

@mykallin
Unless you’ve held both in your hand and compared them (kinda doubting seeing as these were just announced and not out tell sept) what are you basing your comparison off of? The pictures? I don’t see any dimensions listed in the article and they really don’t look any bigger than any of the other wireless gaming headsets on the market. I’ve actually been shopping around and was hoping that sony would bring this to market as I was not impressed with the quality of the turtle beach headsets and I didn’t like the design of the other Sony headsets on market… that being said These look slick and will be hitting stores just in time for me to be dropping subtle birthday hints to my wife… “Hey honey am I playing this game too loud in bed while your trying to sleep? I guess I can go downstairs and play on the PS3 down there but I know how much you like to cuddle… Damn if only I had a way to play games in bed without the sound disturbing you….”

+ xEPiiC_KiiLx on May 27th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

Will this also be available in Denmark? Because if it will, I’m getting it for sure!!!!! :D

+ Eathin-GO-Eathin on May 27th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

So I guess I’m the only one that thinks this line on the product page is WAY more interesting…

” * Surround sound on the PS3™ requires system software version 3.70 or later. Surround Sound does not work with Blu-ray Disc movies”

So, 3.70 soon?

+ OVERDOSE665 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

I think it will be rechargeable

+ GrinningGargoyle on May 27th, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

This might seem like a redundant question but can I assume that these will work with blu-ray movies as well as gaming?

I am much more interested in them as a way to watch movies in surround while my kids are sleeping!

+ Deathspear666 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

They seem a little bulky looking but i’ll be sure to check them out..One a different subject i got the code for AllClear ID :)

+ GrinningGargoyle on May 27th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

Guess I just got my answer. That’s too bad :(

+ Victoryismine52 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

@TomHoang
Awesome news I really want these primarily for listening to music, watching movies, and playing SP games at night without waking the wife. I wonder what the range will be like… it doesn’t appear to be bluetooth or IR… so maybe I’ll be able to roam around the house with these…. AWESOME!

+ PainOfSarrow on May 27th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

Snoopy_Corleone , that is not a troll. there is a difference between a troll and a complainer.

+ Conaaando on May 27th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

THIS IS FREAKING A-W-E-S-O-M-E! That’s all I need! I’m so buying it… I’d buy it today, if it was in the stores… Thanks, Sony! :-)

+ mykallin on May 27th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

@Victoryismine52
Well I really cant tell from the picture but 1 thing i can tell form the picture is that it has basically no padding for your head and your ears will be touching the speakers because of the circle design with thin padding..

+ sabre5618 on May 27th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

I wish these were out already, I just got the Logitech F540 headset. I love it, but I probably would have checked these out first as Sony’s Bluetooth was top-notch (for being a Bluetooth) these most likely would have been worth the money as well.

+ Carl-G on May 27th, 2011 at 8:51 am said: