PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Full PSN Services, including PlayStation Store, Return This Week

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on May 30, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

This press release just hit the wire – PlayStation Store and related services (like voucher redemption) back this week:

SONY AND SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE FULL RESTORATION OF PLAYSTATION®NETWORK SERVICES

Tokyo, May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week. The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available.

The company implemented considerable security enhancements to the network infrastructure, as well as conducted testing of the payment process and commerce functions. The first phase of PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration began on May 15 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Japan and Asian countries and regions on May 28, when the company brought partial services back online. With this partial restoration users were able to access to some of the services such as online game play, account management, friend lists and chat functionality were restored. The full restoration of PlayStation Network as well as part of services to become available on Qriocity will include:

• Full functionality on PlayStation®Store
• In-game commerce
• Ability to redeem vouchers and codes
• Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and
other PCs
• Full functionality on Media Go

Customers will be able to purchase and download games and video content from the PlayStation®Store on PS3 or PSP. In addition, consumers will have full access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity through PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PC’s. Service restoration of Video on Demand powered by Qriocity™ and Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for a variety of network-enabled Sony devices will be announced later.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

The company will be offering customers a “Welcome Back” package of services and premium content to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services. The details of this program will continue to be detailed regionally.

* Only available for those countries with access to PlayStation®Store.

1,891 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8 38

+ Wolokowoh on May 30th, 2011 at 10:46 pm said:

Let’s all consider something. Jeff Rubenstein was probably at home about to go to bed or asleep when he suddenly gets the call from his superiors to put this up on the PSBlog so thank you Jeff. Lack of updates complaints are understandable for the posts made right after the PSN went down that gave hardly any information but complaints about any recent updates is ridiculous. Rubenstein and Seybold cannot post anything if information isn’t given from their superiors/coworkers at Sony and their superiors cannot give them information when they are not sure about it themselves. Also @82 badreligionbomb, it was never posted on the PSBlog or playstation.com about the end of the month/May 31st and Sony actually denied that any date had ever been set to restore it in response to that rumor. To anyone complaining about “another delay”, you do have every right to complain but remember these things before posting: what Sony is doing right now takes a lot of time, the lack of updates is because there isn’t any update besides “still working on it”, and more importantly, Sony is not entirely responsible for this. People should throw your support behind Sony to help the company and its employees to move past this instead of blaming them.

+ OMC-TRIPLE-X on May 30th, 2011 at 10:47 pm said:

Too little too late. This took you forever Sony. Next gen, i buy the other console tyvm.

+ BuchNasty on May 30th, 2011 at 10:50 pm said:

“By this week we mean 11:59 on sunday”

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:50 pm said:

@241 apparently you dont read thoroughly so let me prove you wrong right here

+ Meathos13 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:51 pm said:

yup Xbox 720 and maybe even the new Nintendo, But PS3 is the end of all sony products in my household, that includes all electronics, and even car audio…

+ zombieslayer905 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:52 pm said:

I told you all but I said today but oh well at least it’s coming back

+ Meathos13 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:52 pm said:

at the absolute least you mean?

+ animergamer04 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

I figured it would be up sometime this week and for the impatient ones out there…Just calm down they should have this up by wednesday or saturday so relax and enjoy gaming online for a little bit longer I know your excited because I am too. Honestly it should be back wednesday if PSN store updates are correct, We all are getting free PSN plus which means more free stuff then you possibly understand for those complaining about PSN plus, it’s more then just an video magazine thing, You get free backgrounds, certain games have no expiration, and there is tons of free stuff in there, then we all got the welcome back, sure it may be “crappy” but man it’s free right? heck you gotta love the free stuff!! who cares if it’s crap to some people? it’s free and the closest agreement with gaming developers they could get.

+ Deathspear666 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

@Wolokowoh…They did say “by the end of May”…Better go read again!!..Some ppl i swear never read before opening the mouth-piece…

+ animergamer04 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

I hope it’s wednesday after usual PSN updates on tuesday that will be an ideal time for us all and if it’s saturday i’ll be happy too, by the end of may is what I heard from sony reps on customer service. So it should be up very soon everyone, I’m just glad they went through alot of testing, think of the problems you could have had if they would have released everything at once. I’m happy everything is returning to normal. good job sony!! You people did an good job of fixing stuff and going through with an fine comb, Good job sony!! You people are doing good!!

+ ClunkyD on May 30th, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

I will believe it when i see it myself

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:55 pm said:

@248 some peoples illiteracy just surprises me these day

+ TG-Raylock on May 30th, 2011 at 10:56 pm said:

I hope there are no fk ups this time.

+ jma1024 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:56 pm said:

good i want to play dirt 3 online but cant because i have to redeem a online pass and cant because of no store plus i want to check out some new demos. thanks sony for the update

+ nick9221 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:56 pm said:

@ Wolokowoh… Is that you Jeff?.. sounds like something he would say..

+ Zorvan on May 30th, 2011 at 10:57 pm said:

@241

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:58 pm said:

yeah 241 is gonna be a bit pissed he was just proven wrong

+ Cloud442 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:58 pm said:

Again, I am glad things are restoring to normal, and I’ll gladly support SONY, but think about it. I know it’s not their fault they were hacked, but it partially was. If they had more system updates to keep things stronger, this might not have happened. The ps3 doesn’t have many system updates, and when we do, they’re a little rare. Again, I will support SONY 100%, but I just want the store up so I can download some new things.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on May 30th, 2011 at 10:59 pm said:

I was hoping for Tuesday but I will take end of the week.

+ nick9221 on May 30th, 2011 at 10:59 pm said:

@254 omg yea I didn’t notice that he f’d that up lol

+ Meathos13 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:00 pm said:

naw animergamer04 just got some good whaky tobaky

+ Zero2944 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:00 pm said:

Are we still to assume that existing PS+ subscribers, get “30 days plus time lost” does that mean i get an extra 2 months from this downtime?

+ zombieslayer905 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:00 pm said:

man why are you guys crying the playstation 3 and other of their game systems are great but really we are all lucky to have psn and at least it’s free unlike xbox live where their system cracked and scratched all my games that’s why got a ps3 and soon psp go

+ Zorvan on May 30th, 2011 at 11:00 pm said:

@ 248

How is it you find it acceptable to praise Sony for fixing everything correctly? I see nothing fixed at the moment, much less fixed correctly.

+ snakeauthority on May 30th, 2011 at 11:01 pm said:

the thing that will suck is when the store does come back on it will be slow from everyone downloading stuff. probably the network will crash a few times.

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:01 pm said:

@260 yeah you will read the blog about the welcome back pack

+ pariah164 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:02 pm said:

Legend of Dragoon released as a PSOne classic. Do this, Sony, and I will forgive you for all this.

+ Hobified on May 30th, 2011 at 11:03 pm said:

tSorry there buddy, but the only thing Sony denied was the rumor of the Store being up on the 24th. Sony said “the end of the month” was still the deadline.

thats the samething i was told on the phone by a sony rep who said it should b up the 31st . its 1:00 am here in springfeild illnois usa and no store yet .but they posted its up and running
i try to got there but i cant login i get redirect to a services temorailly down gump

+ SmilingTurtle on May 30th, 2011 at 11:03 pm said:

I cant wait to buy tons of PSP GAMES!!!!!!!!!! I’m gearing up for the NGP!!!!
THIS WILL BE AWESOME!~!!~!!!!!!!!!!! <3

+ Null_Shock on May 30th, 2011 at 11:04 pm said:

Awesome! ….and now all the people who were whining will stop! about time….

+ Jigsaw541 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:04 pm said:

I’ll believe it when I’m purchasing and downloading items myself. Until then, it’s just another date that will come and go.

+ joysdaddy on May 30th, 2011 at 11:05 pm said:

Sony’s PSN Store will be up by next week, guaranteed. The reason? E3 Expo. If Sony goes to E3 trying to show off their Playstation Phone, NGP, and whatever else they have, and their PSN is down, they’ll be the laughing stock of the conference. Security or no, to save face at E3, they’ll have PSN Store back up by then.

The irony is that, although it’s taking over a month to bring PSN back up, their entire business model is based around PSN. They’ll be discontinuing UMD soon, they’re renting and selling movies, TV, and services, they’re releasing more and more games through the Store, and the games that are too big to download, they sell add-ons and DLC through the store. Everything in their business model revolves around the PSN, which makes the delays restoring the Store that much stupider.

+ snakeauthority on May 30th, 2011 at 11:05 pm said:

well i might try home again since the 100 free items

+ XxSephirothxX91 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:06 pm said:

Sounds great. I’m very glad that this is finally coming back. Waiting patiently pays off :)

Got a classic reptile and scorpion code that needs to be redeemed for MK2011. Can’t wait to show off my mad skillz with reptiles classic fatality ;)

Also, will the DNF and inFAMOUS2 beta demos be available when the store is rebooted?

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:06 pm said:

@270 we live in an age of unrelenting stupidity so it shouldn’t surprise you

+ divinasdaemon on May 30th, 2011 at 11:08 pm said:

Wow for real. Another week? Sorry Sony I’m done, I keep my PS3 only to play Blu-Rays as apparently anything else is too much to ask.

+ pariah164 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:09 pm said:

@274 Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. |D

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:09 pm said:

@274 dude seriously did you read? it said THIS week not NEXT week

+ ACAJLE on May 30th, 2011 at 11:12 pm said:

with this press release and the maintenance scheduled for the 31st goes well, the full restoration will more than likely be June 1st.

+ Vancaesar on May 30th, 2011 at 11:12 pm said:

“You’ll have it in a day or two…”

“You’ll have it by the end of the month…”

“You’ll have it by the end of this week…”

If Sony was a renter, they’d get an eviction notice!

Hey Sony, if someone is late paying at a promised date, what do you do?
Do you give any of your customers any slack??????

When I bought my PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle it came with a coupon
with a code for the game “Pain” that was ALREADY EXPIRED. Was
Sony forgiving about this missed deadline? NO, Sony customer service
said they couldn’t help me… they essentially said F-off. Now they want
all their customers to be forgiving about their missed deadlines.

SONY is made up of a bunch of HYPOCRITES of the worst kind.

+ doodooshorts on May 30th, 2011 at 11:12 pm said:

another deadline missed. whatever. ill get excited when i see it. i hate to be so negative…..thanks sony

+ Deathspear666 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:14 pm said:

@zombieslayer905…Why are you going to get the PSP GO??…It’s dead..The 3000 is still better plus the new NGP comes out at the end of the year…..

+ Wolokowoh on May 30th, 2011 at 11:14 pm said:

@240 MiddleLinebacker, Obviously you know nothing of the numerous complications of network security. As someone who does, I can assure you there are a plethora of great reasons that the Store isn’t up yet. To your point, physical things are often the easiest to replace. With enough funding and manpower, you could build entire cities in a matter of weeks if not days. While I’m sorry you had to go through whatever you may have during Hurricane Andrew, to a person who actually knows what Sony might be doing and might not be as a result of the breach, you come across as very ignorant of the issue at hand. To be honest, this restoration is a little slower than I would have expected too, but that only means Sony’s team is either being even more thorough than I would have been or they ran into more “specific to their own security design” problems and are fixing said problems.

+ AJBS0NIC on May 30th, 2011 at 11:16 pm said:

Yes, “by the end of the week”. I’m putting my money on this Saturday night at 11:59PM.

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:17 pm said:

I’m waiting to hear “Due to unforseen complications The PS Store will be back up July 1st”

+ pariah164 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:17 pm said:

@282 Pff, I put my money on next Monday.

+ knowles217 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:17 pm said:

can’t log on to the signon with my computer that make me sad went it down

+ Zorvan on May 30th, 2011 at 11:18 pm said:

@ 282

Of the year 2012.

+ Douglas759 on May 30th, 2011 at 11:18 pm said:

At #46, “We will update the PlayStation Blog when the PlayStation Store is once again open for business.” READ THE LAST PART OF THE POST!!! and to anyone still complaing about how long the restore process is taking, GET A LIFE!

+ snakeauthority on May 30th, 2011 at 11:18 pm said:

tomorrow does make sense. guess we will all see.

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8 38