PS4 - Transistor

PlayStation Move sharp shooter Origins – Part Two

Victor Zuylen's Avatar + Posted by Victor Zuylen on May 30, 2011 // Editor, Killzone Community

In part one of our look at the origins of the PlayStation Move sharp shooter, we saw how the peripheral began life as a side project at Guerrilla. In the second part, we learn how the Guerrilla team received valuable help from their friends at Zipper Interactive.

Guerrilla’s proposal for a Move-based peripheral was sent to SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida and the Sony Product Design group, who circulated it among other studios for input. The proposal met with very enthusiastic reactions. “When we saw the foam-board-and-duct-tape mockup, we were like ‘Cool, let’s make that!’” Sony Product Design Manager Ennin Huang recalls.

It wasn’t long before Guerrilla was contacted by developers from other shooters like SOCOM 4, Time Crisis: Razing Storm and Dead Space: Extraction. Zipper Interactive Game Director Seth Luisi, who’d already been looking into a PlayStation Move-based control scheme for SOCOM 4, took a particular interest in the project. “Seth strongly felt that a gun peripheral could bring an additional level of immersion and realism to the table,” Guerrilla Game Director Mathijs de Jonge says. “Like Killzone 3, SOCOM 4 was still in its early stages, so the timing made sense for him as well.”

PlayStation Move sharp shooter (origins) for PS3

With each iteration, the design evolved away from the StA-11.

The Zipper team suggested several highly useful additions to the gun peripheral design. “For instance, they wanted players to be able to reload without taking their hands off the navigation controller,” Mathijs explains. “This could be solved by adding pump-action mechanism to the fore grip. Also, they noted that many tactical shooters, including SOCOM 4, featured weapons with multiple modes of fire, which would require the inclusion of a fire selector switch.”

With basic shape and functionality hammered out, the gun peripheral entered the prototyping phase. “Every six weeks, a new plastic gun peripheral would arrive from China for us and the team at Zipper to comment on,” Guerrilla Lead Concept Designer (and resident weapons expert) Roy Postma says. “And with each iteration, you could see the design come into its own more. The style of the weapon became more neutral, less Killzone-specific.”

Enhancements included a more ergonomic angle for the fore grip, an adjustable and collapsible stock instead of the foldable one, and overall weight reductions to facilitate prolonged play. “Sadly, some features fell by the wayside during this process,” Roy says. “We originally wanted to have an ammo counter display above the stock, but it just proved too costly.”

The color of the weapon changed too, evolving from the gunmetal grays of the original design, to a jet black version, to the more neutral grays of the final product. “From a legal and marketing perspective we had to impose some constraints,” Ennin says. “The black version looked menacing, but would have violated most countries’ gun laws.” Even the first grey prototypes proved difficult to get through customs, as Mathijs found after a demonstration at a conference.

Meanwhile, the teams at Guerrilla and Zipper experimented with Move control systems for their respective games, figuring out sensible settings for dead zone, aim assistance and controller sensitivity. “Initially we wanted to map a lot of in-game actions to player gestures as well,” Mathijs says, “but that turned out to interfere with player aim too much. So we restricted it to short, simple movements like thrusting the gun peripheral to perform a melee.”

PlayStation Move sharp shooter (origins) for PS3

The final production prototype in all its glory.

The gun peripheral went into full production in the run-up to Killzone 3’s launch. Early hands-on reports of the device – now dubbed the PlayStation Move sharp shooter – were almost unanimously positive, with many reporters expressing pleasant surprise at how solid and natural the peripheral felt during play.

“In terms of control methods, nothing feels more natural than the sheer simplicity of ‘Point, Aim, Shoot’”, Ennin says. Mathijs concurs: “The peripheral made Killzone 3 immediately accessible to people who had never played a Killzone title before. Some reporters even stated that they preferred to play Killzone 3 with the sharp shooter instead of the DualShock 3, because they felt more immersed. That was a huge compliment for us.”
But it wasn’t until the week before Killzone 3’s release that Mathijs realized his other goal for the sharp shooter had also been achieved. “I was watching the PlayStation commercial for Killzone 3 and the sharp shooter and I suddenly realized, you know what – Kevin Butler looks absolutely badass holding that thing! That’s when I knew we’d fully achieved what we set out to do.”

The sharp shooter is available now as a standalone accessory and as part of the SOCOM 4 Full Deployment Edition.

214 Comments

+ jvasq on May 30th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

this is sad. this blog post was about sony’s sharpshooter and I have been wanting on ever since the kb commercials. I like how you showed us how you came to the final product. What I hate the most is now this post is flooded with comments about the store. thats just ridiculus. But what can you do? I’m hoping to buy this and the analog addon for my move friday. Thanks sony

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

@51 lol

+ LuiguiPR on May 30th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

F@&& that gun!!!! I want the ps Store.

+ srtapia on May 30th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Why Sony is ‘working’ on this posts or other things insted of putting online de PS Store? And the more important thing… why you (SONY) don’t keep us updating of the process of the PS Store? Are you hiding something? We deserve to be notified because we are customers and we pay for a service.

I wait a month; day after day without any information. I’m tired to be patience. I’m tired to stay blind. I reach my limit with you people.

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

@54 cry baby

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

@55 cry baby in house

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

@50 Well, maybe when the editor sees that his posts aren’t really getting the attention and the interest they deserve, he should mention to his management that his ability to effectively do his job is hindered by the fact that customers are frantically searching for updates about the PS store.
If anything, he should be upset at the management who have made the decision to make his job so much harder, and so less rewarding. By failing to meet the curiosity of potential future business, Sony management is just setting up it’s employees for very stressful work – and setting up the community with a very abrasive and frustrated atmosphere.

+ jvasq on May 30th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

@56 dude you need to shut up your acting worse that all those “cry babies” with your comments

+ midknight24 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Seriously all the SONY SCROTUM JOCKEYS are getting mad. You know we paid for our stuff same as anyone else. This is like someone selling you a puppy and then saying that you can only watch it scratch its butt or lick itself, However, it will roll over and fetch ……………………sometime in the near future. We buy these devices(PS3, PSP, etc.) To enjoy the way we want too, if that means just cruising the store and trying demos, than so be it, you paid the money for the devices to enjoy it the way you want too.The POINT is that every single one of us wants that back, just the option to enjoy whatever we want however we want. For all the SONY SCROTUM JOCKEYS who are yelling at people cause they are saying they want the store back, get off of them, its there right, So as its your right to hang off of SONYs short and curlies. Regardless we all just want the same thing Our PSN services back like we had two months ago

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

@48
That the thing though. People would still be complaining. They don’t stop.

During the outage, they did post things somewhat like that, but people were like “that’s it?” or “Yet another post with useless information.”

A comment yesterday said “I was just curious, how can’t there be any form of an update for PSN Store. Given the time Sony has been working “around the clock” to get the Store back online. I find it hard to believe there is no update, seems more like Sony refuses to pass on a update to us. Unless they came across major problems.” and Jeff replied “When we have a 100% locked in uptime for the store, we’ll tell you. Really, honestly, there’s not much else to say, is there?”

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

@ 59 how about mine own damn business

+ Dieselphl420 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

This makes me want to buy a sharpshooter even more. *hides walet*

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

@54
Sony isn’t ‘working’ on this post Its the Editor, Killzone Community.

+ srtapia on May 30th, 2011 at 9:14 am said:

zech678 you insult like a girl.

I only want to be infomed. I deserved it. I pay for a service that i’m not reciving. I’m not saying that is an easy job to bring the PS Store online. I’m saying that they must infomed us about the process.

+ a7x_RoCk3r on May 30th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

I think the welcome back package should be one thing free from the PS store, what ever it may be.. I know you don’t have to give us compensation, but giving us games that the majority of players don’t want is pretty much the same thing..Or at least tell treyarch to put the WaW maps, ascension, and call of the dead in one pack so i can buy it..Something..

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

@65 went store back to didnt see me cry like baby like you are rights now

+ brian19403 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

I personally would like too see some pointers posted on here on the blog on how too effectively use the move shooter I find it very difficult too maneuver when playing Killzone, and hate looking for pointers on You-Tube. a.k.a bloob tube.

+ fur-blog on May 30th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

@zekecelice. Dude mind ur own business we want the store back,you don’t u can have ur own opinion but don’t call us little children, cuz u probably are one

+ lilcanuck on May 30th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

and i want a lil insider infonwink wink how long before killzone 4 loved 3 and the ending was suspicious awesome game btw im gunna try to find kz 1 and 2 is 1 out for any system or any chance of getting it for the ps3

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

@68 Who is zekecelice?

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

@60
Sure you’ll still get people complaining – I can’t buy any new games for my PSP Go, at all. I can’t go anywhere but Sony. It is a little frustrating.
Beyond Sony saying ‘they’re working on it, we have a working estimate of May 31st and we’ll update you with new info’ however long ago, Sony hasn’t addressed an obviously popular concern of it’s customers. They’ve gone on like nothing’s wrong, and the customer base obviously hasn’t followed suit.
If Sony would at least try putting out some nicely worded, friendly update on the whole process I bet they’d see a lot of posts go from “waaaaah”, to “darn, but okay, thanks for something”. That’s a big difference!

But yeah, itching to get myself a little after exam game-treat, talk about a stressful class, I hope Sony’s open for business by then!

+ srtapia on May 30th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

A_Belmont you really understans me! You know what i’m saying? what i’m asking for!

+ fur-blog on May 30th, 2011 at 9:23 am said:

U know what I’m talking about zekececil

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

@71
You understand though. We have people saying “We don’t care about this stuff! We only care about the Store!”

Thats rude.

I would like an upsate too. I come to the blog every few hours, but when there isn’t one I just go to Gameinformer.com to see what’s new. I do not understand why people need to complain. I mean seriously.

+ zech678 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

@agree with @75 he rights

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

@73 Do I?

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

@72 – Yeah I totally understand why you’re frustrated. You’ve put your hard earned money in investments in Sony’s products and services, and you want a little love back in return! You don’t hate Sony, you don’t think their products suck, you’re just rightfully curious as to the status of the service, because it’s one you like and hope to continue using. But you don’t like that all your money spent has earned you silence – not so much as a thank you or any recognition of gratitude – at least not for the last 20 days. You just want some info to help you understand what Sony’s going through and how it affects you as a consumer, and a little love on the side, a thank you from the folks you’ve invested in.

And that’s not much to be asking for!

+ Busca-Cabezas on May 30th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

I would’ve totally loved a “realistic” looking Sharp Shootah!! Woot Woot! :P

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

@75 I KNOW! 75 should be a philosopher. Better than people who can’t write zekececil14.

+ butcherknife on May 30th, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

Cool.

Not Move related, but I am wondering if these developers would change the PS3 Dual Shock. I would to see them design a new PS3 controller.

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

@77 Yes, that makes perfect sense, but the way people are taking this. Come on. All good things come to those who wait.

I’ve been waiting. When i’m done, i’ll have InFamous.

+ tbond22 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

Nice to see, but I wish there were more good Move games. Preferably some shooter games.

+ Busca-Cabezas on May 30th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

Btw… This is a Blog post about Part 2 of the creation of the Sharp Shooter… Why is it that some “users” get side tracked into stuff that have nothing to do with the posted theme…? Geez!! LMFAO!! :P

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

@80
ht*tp://share.blog.us.playstation.co*m/ideas/2010/05/05/character-themed-controllers/

+ CRiCkET_81 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

Screw all this origins of the playstation move crap guys. Just bring the store back. I might actually care if the store weren’t down but thats not the case so lets just get it back going so I can spend some money eh !!!

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

@81 – yeah it’d be nicer to see more folks make comments in a more positive way. I think it’s perfectly reasonable these blogs are filled with comments about the PS Store, it’s something that universally affects the most Sony Game customers, and it’s the least talked about topic it seems in the last couple of weeks.
But, the threats of selling playstations, not using the store again – that’s been tried, and it’s obviously not effective. I think it’d be a lot more powerful if consumers were to post why they like the store, why they want to hear an update, and why the service is important to them. That might raise some eyebrows from Sony brass – like “Hey, these guys seriously like us and we’re letting them down by not saying something. Maybe one of us should just go and address the masses”.
Might not work – might work, I don’t know. But Sony’s silence certainly isn’t the answer, and it’s something Sony can change. None of us can change what the rest of consumers can say….

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:38 am said:

is it just me or does anyone else really dont care about this stuff? I think we’re all getting just a tad aggravated that the Playstation store is STILL not back up. I mean seriously they announce all these free goodies and STILL we are waiting……..Come on Sony get on the ball already and get the store up already!

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on May 30th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

nice behind the scenes look

lol at professional whiners, always complaining, you guys need to get a job or a hobby

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

@86 Forums?

+ zekececil14 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

@88 Gaming is their hobby.

+ brian19403 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

I dont understand what the big hooplah is about, Sony has always been silent, I remember when they took away the poker room from PSHOME. No matter how much people complained they were silent on the situation, matter of fact poker players are still complaining, and they just give us the cold shoulder. I personally would like some tips on the move shooter thats what this blog is about the shooter not the freaking store.

+ xxmafiakiller586 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

we only want to know about the store

+ SoupDaMan on May 30th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

Honestly guys, it’s easy to see why you’re mad, but I doubt everyone at Sony is just kicking back in their La-Z-Boys. It’s gotta be tough on them. I’m an avid gamer, but I don’t let Playstation’s fix-it timeline disrupt my day or my mood. Just.. Try not to be so hard on them. They’re people too. .-.

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

@Brian19403

Well I agree with you on Sony being silent, Most big Gaming companies BARELY listen to the consumers and it is quite frustrating when the consumers voice their opinions and concerns and are met with a brickwall.

+ WarHawk_ on May 30th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

At number 1 or DrPound35, please don’t generalize your opinion as if everyone else thinks the same as you… I for one could care less as when the PSN store goes up.. And I enjoy blog post like these, you guys should stop spamming the threads with : PLEASE BRING PSN STORE BACK comments, it’s for one absolutely pointless and secondly it’s annoying, and lets not forget it’s basically just trolling on the blog…. PSN store will be back online soon, just relax -> breath in….. breath out…. there feel better now ??

Now back on topic, I really like that previous design. It looks a lot more realistic and IMO it looks more awesome than the final design of the Sharpshooter.

PS: I own a sharpshooter and although I don’t play hours on end with it, it’s a very fun peripheral to have.

+ brian19403 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

when i get home from work im gonna pop in a killzone disk or a bad company disc. frak the ps-store all it does is still our money anyway, maybe ill shoot some heilgast and blow up a tank in bad company, boy what a stress reliever, i really need too learn how too use the $40 shooter, sure cant buy that from the ps- store LOL.

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

@86 – forums, blogs – both allow consumers to comment, you can’t shepherd all users to the forums – I mean you can try, but call me surprised if it actually works.
I post on here to put pressure on the editors to get their management to actually send the ok to address the issue. Personally, I don’t think my goal of…well I guess it’s protest – I don’t think it hurts anyone, would be any more effective on the forums, and I know it doesn’t break any rules. I try to be constructive, they’re relevant to a major desire of Playstation customers, they’re courteous and bereft of flagrant words or ideas. If Sony sends me a message personally requesting that I cease posting these non-offensive messages in their blog posts, I’ll certainly talk with Sony and come to a reasonable and respectful conclusion with them.

+ pielolfer1 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

Wow, that’s great! I may’ve preferred one of the prototypes though

+ A_Belmont on May 30th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

Hah – @86 – meant @89 – silly me.

+ The_Kinters_09 on May 30th, 2011 at 9:53 am said:

In my opinion I think Sony should have held off in announcing what the welcome back pack contained, I believe its why everyone is getting frustrated, Sony should have waited until the store was fully operational and then announced this…….But wax on wax off.

Now as far as this new gun for Shooters is concerned, I’m not big on shooters but it does in fact look pretty cool and I may be interested in purchasing one.