PS4-The Order

Introducing Papo & Yo for PSN

Vander Caballero's Avatar + Posted by Vander Caballero on Jun 03, 2011 // Creative Director, Minority

Hello everyone! I’m the Creative Director at Minority, a small independent team of game creators based in Montreal. It’s my great pleasure to today reveal our first title, Papo & Yo, which we are bringing to the PlayStation Network next year thanks to the support of SCEA’s Pub Fund.

I have always wanted to tell the story of my childhood, as the difficulties I lived through shaped the man I’ve come to be. But telling my story was a major endeavor for me as an artist. First I had to master videogame design so I could realize my vision; after that, I had to find an appropriate method to tell a difficult story in an engaging way. And finally, I needed to find a group of people who would believe in me and take the risk to dedicate themselves to a project like this. I’m very lucky to have the great, experienced team I have at Minority, who have completely embraced my initial concept.

But what is my story, and why would someone be interested in it, you ask? Well, the tale told in Papo & Yo is about myself and my father, a good man but also an evil one. Like many, he used alcohol and drugs to cope with a challenging life, and I was caught in the middle of it. The emotional core of this game is ultimately a fable about my relationship with my father.

Quico, our young hero, is a boy who lives in the Favelas in South America. His best friend and protector is Monster, a large beast that loves Quico. But Monster is addicted to frogs, and when he eats them he is transformed into an evil killing machine, his fury pushing him to destroy everything that is around him — including Quico. Quico’s only chance for survival is to find a way to cure his best friend.

Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

I remember playing videogames in my difficult childhood days. I remember how the unpleasant world of adults loomed around me and made me feel vulnerable. But I did not feel like that when I was playing as Mario: I felt powerful and in control of a fantastic world. I loved defeating bosses that were larger than life to me, and today I thank you Miyamoto; now is my time to give back.

I’d very much like to thank Sony for helping us bring Papo & Yo to the world in 2012 on PSN! But you will not have to wait until next year to get a look – we will be at the Electronic Entertainment Expo demoing the game, so keep an eye out for a lot more news about the game in the near future!

Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

71 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ shyguyNC on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

sounds like an amazing and powerful backstory. I imagine creating this game must have been therapeutic for you. Will definitely check it out.

+ Link01 on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

My god, a drug based reference. I feel like it’s the Pink Floyd days for gaming lol.

+ KHALED_EGY_7 on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

It looks like an awesome game … we’ll see !

+ Sharingan_itachi on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

Looks interesting.

+ Conaaando on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

Is that Brazil? :-)

+ JakeRuiner on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:21 pm said:

The story looks like an interesting read my high school teacher would assign me. It seems like you went through a lot during your childhood, I can only imagine. I’ll be looking into this title more at E3.

+ Kirkpad on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

Wow fantastic stuff. I’m a huge PSN supporter, and you have just caught my eye. Great to have another fellow Canadian here on the blog, showing amazing things.

+ sfgdfds on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

Now this sounds great!!! looking forward to E3 even more now! :)

+ station3fever on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

after 24 seconds i said “oh hell no, this looks bad” but i finished the teaser trailer and now i’m like. I want more! game looks interesting. i will keep my eye on this one. gave me an ico feeling to which i loved that game :)
Thanks vander

+ LordRaoh on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

Looks interesting. Worth keeping an eye on. Keep the info coming.

+ FadeToOne on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

I hope it’s less boring than this awful trailer…

+ yazter on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

Wow, first of all I’d like to say I truly admire your courage to openly discuss something that is deeply personal. Adding a very personal touch can truly transform a game. I’m sure many people will relate to your struggle. I guess you knew many others went through this.

I am truly looking forward to this game. I’d like to see how it turns out.

+ sanji_blue on June 3rd, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Looks like you guys are trying to represent Brazil. I saw the word “Céu” in the trailer, which means sky in portuguese. I have a good feeling about this game.

+ XMaRksDa1Sp0t on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Has any1 noticed dat ps store doesnt log u in? Or says error wen u wanna buy sumthin?

+ butcherknife on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

Strange. Interesting.

+ Globox_82 on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

cool

+ Robbie_G_lrish on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

This game looks surprisingly rad. I’m looking forward to seeing more from the E3 demo.

+ Xuchilbara on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Papa & Yo | Father & I Glad to see a Spanish title for a game ^_^

Vander, I really like how you went about realizing your dream, the reason behind it and the relation/interpretation/connection between the characters, items in your childhood-life & the in-game character, items.

—Congratulations on achieving your goal Vander Caballero—

+ aro52 on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

Wow, a terrible real life situation, makes for a really interesting game dynamic!

+ KwietStorm on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

Almost forgot I was on a game blog. Sounds deep.

+ xNemesiSx on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

Papo and Yo, the names sounds cool lol. Papo is very common in spanish, sounds good

+ BJtheLegend on June 3rd, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

wow, looks incredbible!!!!

+ JoeDuke4 on June 3rd, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

Looks truly inspiring. A game with a wothwhile and important message, thank you. Tech and animation look great!

+ Chuckbait on June 3rd, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

Wow…expect high sales with this one.

Take your time making this a polished jewel.

And please keep us informed.

+ tomstockmail on June 3rd, 2011 at 5:27 pm said:

Good to see the Pub Fund being utilized, not just by this but by others.

Perhaps more details should be released? I’m sure some game developers that think XNA is a good platform would rather make PS3 games knowing they get reimbursed.

+ Sh1nato on June 3rd, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

I’m curious if this is the first video game presented as a Biography?
Sounds like a great story, and I bet it will have many people taking a look at their own lives.
I’m in on day 1

+ PHatCAt_82 on June 3rd, 2011 at 6:35 pm said:

I shall buy it

+ Surfaced on June 3rd, 2011 at 8:56 pm said:

Games like this are the reason I own a PS3. Keep it up SCEA. Make the Pub Fund strong.

+ BhDaBomb on June 3rd, 2011 at 9:16 pm said:

Will it be kid friendly : D?

Either way very interesting story, any idea of what the gameplay will be like?

+ FullMetalGear on June 3rd, 2011 at 9:19 pm said:

Very interesting stuff… Sony’s PSN Games are stepping up, Flow, Flower, soon Journey which looks astonishing, and soon Papo & Yo. I’m glad to support a company like Sony that is supporting others with creative ideas like the folks at Quantic Dream, and Minority.

+ Darkpen on June 3rd, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

This sounds really compelling and touching. As someone who fully supports the auteur movement in videogame direction, I plan to buy this day one.

It sounds like the young adults highschool novella of videogames.

And I can definitely relate in terms of the whole alcoholic father thing. I like how the frogs act as an allegory for drug/alcohol abuse, and how veiny/leathery the anthropomorphic rhino’s neck is.

+ djml9 on June 3rd, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

graphics look phenominal, but the movement seems lacking. at least in the video, thats how it looked. storywise, i couldnt hear the vid, had the volume low. i aint supposed to be on lol

+ RabidFace on June 3rd, 2011 at 10:12 pm said:

Can’t wait to see what awesome visuals these developers had in their minds. The dmt is strong in this one ;)

But in all seriousness, there are some great messages/stories to be had in this game, and that is what drives me to buy games, not pretty graphics.

Games like this reiterate my PS3 purchase and have been for years now. Thank you SONY!

+ Spacerac on June 3rd, 2011 at 10:33 pm said:

I will definitely get this when it’s ready! You go, man!

+ irwlZ on June 3rd, 2011 at 10:40 pm said:

Um yea this doesn’t seem like a buy for me looks like a kid game hf guys with it but i will stick with better games

+ X-FLIP-X on June 3rd, 2011 at 11:10 pm said:

Looking forward to finding out more information about the game! The story behind the concept is truly incredible. I would also like to add that the graphics look amazing. It seems as though this game is a platformer but I’m not exactly sure..

+ Spores on June 4th, 2011 at 12:33 am said:

looks both graphically awesome and with an actual story to top it all off! I’m looking forward to this title, perhaps it is in need of some of my techno/ ambient tracks? :P

+ Blkant on June 4th, 2011 at 1:58 am said:

Trippy looking, in a good way, in an original way. :P I have to say I am certainly looking forward to it already.

+ Christian399 on June 4th, 2011 at 3:17 am said:

Looks good. Charge a bit more than standard PSN fluff if you must though, and make it longer than 2 hours. I’m sick of plopping down almost $20 for a PSN game with no duration/ re-playability when I can just grab a FULL retail game off Amazon for less than that (on sale, which they have every day).

+ Tzigrel on June 4th, 2011 at 4:10 am said:

Looks go so far. The screenshots on the devs website really show off the clean detailed graphics. Looking forward to hearing a little more about this title at E3.

+ CASTRADOMIS on June 4th, 2011 at 4:27 am said:

I think a less serious/less realistic graphics style would have suited the game much better.

Regardless, I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

+ remanutd5 on June 4th, 2011 at 5:32 am said:

Papo LMAO , Papo in spanish means like dumb in a funny way , anyways you guys got my money for sure

+ Mister-Nep on June 4th, 2011 at 6:10 am said:

This is a weird game…but I’ll keep my eye on it.

+ hxczuner on June 4th, 2011 at 6:26 am said:

Anyone else feeling an Ico vibe here? I don’t know, it just feels like a Team Ico game which is nothing but a good thing.

+ Poozilla024 on June 4th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

looks interesting

+ Poozilla024 on June 4th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

got the ICO vibe too

+ MiNdS-_-13 on June 4th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

This game looks like is going to be a hit. Looks pretty interesting and i hope it’s multiplayer ? just to have fun exploring around perhaps ?

+ backhawk124 on June 4th, 2011 at 6:46 am said:

Seems great! I don’t know much but I feel like it will be one of the great games that emit emotion(a metaphor here, emotion isn’t emitted). Looking forward to E3 because this one has picked my interest!

+ mcbuttz78 on June 4th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

Sounds great. I love story driven games.. I hopre the gameplay is just as strong if not stronger to make it a classic exp.

+ cocopuff11 on June 4th, 2011 at 8:07 am said:

I always wanted to play as an ugly rhino chicken man.

PAGE 1 2