PS4-The Order

Introducing Papo & Yo for PSN

Vander Caballero's Avatar + Posted by Vander Caballero on Jun 03, 2011 // Creative Director, Minority

Hello everyone! I’m the Creative Director at Minority, a small independent team of game creators based in Montreal. It’s my great pleasure to today reveal our first title, Papo & Yo, which we are bringing to the PlayStation Network next year thanks to the support of SCEA’s Pub Fund.

I have always wanted to tell the story of my childhood, as the difficulties I lived through shaped the man I’ve come to be. But telling my story was a major endeavor for me as an artist. First I had to master videogame design so I could realize my vision; after that, I had to find an appropriate method to tell a difficult story in an engaging way. And finally, I needed to find a group of people who would believe in me and take the risk to dedicate themselves to a project like this. I’m very lucky to have the great, experienced team I have at Minority, who have completely embraced my initial concept.

But what is my story, and why would someone be interested in it, you ask? Well, the tale told in Papo & Yo is about myself and my father, a good man but also an evil one. Like many, he used alcohol and drugs to cope with a challenging life, and I was caught in the middle of it. The emotional core of this game is ultimately a fable about my relationship with my father.

Quico, our young hero, is a boy who lives in the Favelas in South America. His best friend and protector is Monster, a large beast that loves Quico. But Monster is addicted to frogs, and when he eats them he is transformed into an evil killing machine, his fury pushing him to destroy everything that is around him — including Quico. Quico’s only chance for survival is to find a way to cure his best friend.

Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

I remember playing videogames in my difficult childhood days. I remember how the unpleasant world of adults loomed around me and made me feel vulnerable. But I did not feel like that when I was playing as Mario: I felt powerful and in control of a fantastic world. I loved defeating bosses that were larger than life to me, and today I thank you Miyamoto; now is my time to give back.

I’d very much like to thank Sony for helping us bring Papo & Yo to the world in 2012 on PSN! But you will not have to wait until next year to get a look – we will be at the Electronic Entertainment Expo demoing the game, so keep an eye out for a lot more news about the game in the near future!

Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

71 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ MoneyMaker110 on June 4th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

he moved the cardboard box and the house moved. i’m very interested in finding out more about the game.

+ Keeng on June 4th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

Wow. This is an excellent idea. I’m looking forward to it and I hope it turns out well for you and your team. I’m also really glad to hear this many positive comments on the blog about an offbeat game like this. No one’s even asked for cross-game chat, yet!

+ Pink-Moonlight on June 4th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

Wow. I love the fact that this video games is based on the real-life story of the creator of it. That’s a really amazing way to be inspired. Looks like a good game to! Can’t wait to see it during E3!

@49, yeah I noticed that cardbord box/house trick too. Looks like a really cool gameplay idea. Can’t wait to see how this works.

+ plaztiksyke on June 4th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

it’s games like this that keep me on the PlayStation 3. innovative, personal, and unique. this is a day one purchase for me.

+ playstantion on June 4th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

interesting i wanna know more!

+ julianro on June 4th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

Vander, it’s been a long time since a game reveal cought my attention with sucho force like yours here today. Actually it was flowe’s first trailer, back in 2008.
Hope to keep listening from you, here in Argentina me and my sis will be waiting for your game.
Keep it up!!! And cheers to you for taking such a big risk by making a game with a really artistic and adult approach.

+ MazzingerZ on June 4th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

Great to hear about this kind of game and less about the classic shooter+terrorist+bomb which make difficult to take VG seriously…makes me feel embarrased..on the other hand, these kind of games help me to don’t give a damn and feel sorry for what they miss:-)
I’m in.

+ Pippi_Langstrump on June 4th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

Looks great! Please make it available in Portuguese voices with English subs & menus.

+ wolfflame21 on June 4th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

Dude i can relate but mine is money, i play video games as a outlet and this is a must try for me i cannot wait to hear more and thank you for puttin this as a PSN exclusive we need some and maybye you guys can stay like that :)

+ FonFahbre on June 4th, 2011 at 6:19 pm said:

Looks really good!. Expecting to see more =D

+ Dr-Antonio on June 4th, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

Looks a very good game. Loved the design, the use of warm color tons and the idea behind the game. It’s interesting to see games based on original themes, specially when they are a real personal
life. Also, I loved the metaphor implied in the characters. It seems to be in the Rio de Janeiro’s Favela, Brazil.

Congratulations for the team !

+ MadMeat001 on June 4th, 2011 at 9:49 pm said:

dude that sound awesome! I mean, really? A RHINO EATING FROG? WHAT MORE CAN I WANT??? :D

+ MikeScorpion14 on June 5th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

Looks cool, but kind of awkward. Lol sorry.

+ wowowowo1 on June 5th, 2011 at 7:44 am said:

e3

+ Juggler1711 on June 5th, 2011 at 10:59 am said:

Looks like an interesting concept / game but I think the idea of him “curing” his addicted friend is to save him is a weird addition to the metaphor. It’s bad for a child affected by their parents’ addictions to feel like it’s their responsibility to save them… Im just looking too far into it. Looking forward to more.

+ Berae on June 5th, 2011 at 12:29 pm said:

It looks interesting. Ill look forward for more and its from montreal!

+ Rbrtchng on June 5th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

This game looks fking amazing already. I just need to see the game mechanics before being completely sold on it.

+ Redikol on June 5th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

Just wonderful, definitely gonna be watching out for this!

+ marlyt on June 5th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

Muy interasante, amigo

+ pudimBR on June 6th, 2011 at 6:17 am said:

Yes, thank you very much. Now not only you show Brazil as poor, drug using, child abusing country, but you help to keep the steriotype. Thank you very much for making a game selling this image.

+ Neil on June 14th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

I saw this game at E3 and thought it was just another puzzle game that looked a bit rough around the edges. I just listened to John Davidson speak about this game on the Weekend Confirmed podcast; specifically the father/son premise and it moved me. This is now my favorite game of the show and I will be eagerly looking forward to its release.

PAGE 1 2