Uncharted 4

NGP is now PlayStation Vita, Starting at $249

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Jun 06, 2011 // VP of Product Marketing

PlayStation Vita

Just moments ago during our 2011 E3 press conference we proudly unveiled an incredible 2011 software lineup and amazing new PS3 peripherals, and also shed new light on our highly anticipated handheld gaming device, officially named PlayStation Vita (PS Vita). “Vita,” which means “Life” in Latin, was chosen as the name for our next-generation portable entertainment system because it enables a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context.

By blurring the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, our goal was to design a device that offered a revolutionary combination of rich gaming capabilities and social connectivity, bringing users closer to each other and closer to their gaming experiences wherever they are. Connectivity was a key objective and our goal was to create experiences and content that would challenge the traditional notions of gaming. It was vital to make a device that was an extension of a user’s entertainment world, no matter where one would go.

PlayStation Vita

Successively launching in the global market for $249 starting the end of this year, PS Vita incorporates a beautiful 5-inch multi-touch organic light emitting diode (OLED) as the front display and a unique multi-touch pad on the rear. Two analog sticks enable a wider range of game genres. Together with the front touch screen and the rear touch pad, PS Vita offers new gameplay, enabling entirely new experiences.

ATT

We know you’ve been closely following all of the news since we announced the product in January. With mobile connectivity playing a huge role in PS Vita’s interactive experience, we know many of you have been wondering what carrier will be helping us bring you closer to other users and closer to your gaming experiences on the go. Today, we proudly announced a partnership with AT&T, which powers the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi models available, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for you to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with your friends wherever they are.

Ruin img0164

Ruin for PS Vita

The excitement doesn’t stop there. We believe that 2011 will be a defining year as we usher in a new era of portable gaming. With the official North American unveiling of PlayStation Vita also comes the introduction of an extensive line-up of software for the platform. PS Vita’s launch lineup is a force to be reckoned with, featuring exciting and attractive new titles from SCE Worldwide Studios, including UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet, and Ruin (working title), which utilize PS Vita’s groundbreaking technology to make unprecedented immersive, interactive and social game play available on-the-go. In addition, titles such as Little Deviants, Hot Shots Golf, Reality Fighter, Hustle Kings, ModNation Racers, Wipeout, Super Stardust Delta and a broad range of third-party game developers and publishers make use of PS Vita’s unique feature set. We can let all of you know that the biggest and best 1st and 3rd party gaming franchises will be coming to PS Vita.

Further enhancing your entertainment experience are new PS Vita features, such as “LiveArea,” an interactive space for each PS Vita software title that allows you to access the latest game information through PlayStation Network; “near,” a pre-installed application that lets you see what other PS Vita users in the vicinity are playing; “Party,” which lets you voice chat or text chat while playing games or using the Internet browser; and “Welcome Park,” a tutorial application designed specifically to guide you through PS Vita’s new user interface. For more information, be sure to visit http://us.playstation.com/ngp/.

2011 is sure to be an epic year for us here at PlayStation. We’re always looking for ways to create compelling experiences for all of you and we’re very excited to bring you unparalleled gaming experiences with PS Vita. Let us know your thoughts and looking forward to having you try out PS Vita for yourselves!

Read more about PlayStation at E3!

642 Comments

PAGE 1 11 12 13

+ ramirezbroz on June 11th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

Amazing creation sony looking forward to buying it.

+ Marte199781_ on June 11th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

I think it really needs MORE games.But yea, No doubt im getting this liitttttlleee babyyy…haha…..Thnx 2 playstation.

+ dablemont on June 11th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

What can I say…? For $249, day one indeed. I really wish there will be a wonderful amount of rpgs – be it wrpg or jrpg. PSP was great in this aspect so I really hope the Vita will do the same if not better.

+ avatarj2 on June 11th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

Just one question, is it download only or does it support UMD’s, because I’m not buying all my games again

+ JOGABONITO-13 on June 11th, 2011 at 6:37 pm said:

For a starting off price its not that bad i hope they include some games with the price it would make sense after all i may buy it.

+ yayday on June 11th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER I HAVE A BIG QUESTION ABOUT UNCHARTED GOLDEN ABYSS!!! Will it have online?????

+ lisatsunami on June 11th, 2011 at 9:42 pm said:

13 pages?!!! I thought things had settled down and the blogs wouldn’t be so active now. LOL. I haven’t read the prior 12 pages, yet, so I’ll admit that. Just came in to tell Playstation that the demo at E3 sold me. I just preordered the Wi Fi version on Amazon (which doesn’t have a release date yet).

The launch games are fantastic. But, isn’t that why we’re all here, why we’re all still here despite the babies who threatened to switch to the darkside because they didn’t get enough/ fast enough free stuff , for the GAMES?!!! Playstation has the best games. Can I get an “amen”?

Oh, and more Nathan Drake? Yes, please.

+ pasword12 on June 12th, 2011 at 7:35 am said:

Now what about the people who don’t have AT&T? Why not have 3G with Verizon as well as AT&T? Because I sure can’t afford another contract. Besides you will sell more of the 3G models and maybe just as many Wi-Fi only models, but think about what about the customers who want the 3G/Wi-Fi model but dont like At&t than they are screwed and can have a online experience everywhere then Vita which means life is dead.

+ jazhers on June 12th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Woot !! Already Pre-Ordered. Can’t wait !!!

+ zixpk on June 12th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

PSVITA=awesome and everything I expected the next handheld gaming device to be!
PSVITA+AT&T=errr…. uh…wellll..

+ Moony22 on June 12th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I would just like to say something about it not being able to read UMD. UMD is getting old. It is flimsy, big, and it’s not that easy to just carry a few UMD games with you. So if UMDs are getting old, how are we going to stop using them and move on? If the PS Vita now will be able to transfer UMD to downloadable content or the new PS Vita game cards, we will keep using UMDs. The only way to stop is to stop having devices which allow UMD. I know how some feel about it. I know how some feel about UMDs going. I was quite annoyed and upset when the news came out that the PS Vita was not going to be able to read UMDs. But I finally realised that the world is developing and we need to move on to develop even further. Imagine what is going to be created it 10, 15 years time. Who knows? But if we don’t keep developing and get rid of UMDs in 10, 15 years time, we will keep using these flimsy, large UMDs! So we need to move on along with the developing world, and create an unimaginable future for the world.

+ Moony22 on June 12th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

Also I would like to say well done Sony. You have made a fantastic release of the PS Vita and as much as others do not like the name or other features of the PS Vita, I agree with Everything, apart from one thing.

This one thing is that not everybody uses the at+t network, and if the 3G model was to not be only 3G, but to be able to connect to other mobile networks, I would by the best model.

Oh and by the way, I shall not get it ‘from day one’, because I am not a person who rushes to get the latest device. I believe we enjoy it more if we wait a while until it gets a bit cheaper, then buy, as this will not only save you money, but will bring more excitement, So when you do get it, you have more joy.

+ Moony22 on June 12th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

This is the time for Sony to overtake the other companies and beat them in the main aspects. I think that the PS Vita has already beaten the 3DS (by far) and the ipad, and of course the iPhone and iPod (all of them). Of course, as weird as this may seem, this handheld device may even beat the Xbox 360! Xbox has not even got a handheld device to go with the Xbox, and now look how far Sony has reached with all sorts of consoles and devices. I keep saying to myself in amazement, PlayStation is only a small bit of Sony computer entertainment, and what I find even more unbelieving is that Sony Computer Entertainment is only a small bit of Sony Co-operation! Sony is such a large company, nobody can beat them.

+ EseBones on June 12th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

I be seeing fools writing hateful Shi+ bout the new PSP saying it not worth it 3DS beter but on some real shi+ nintendo lame. Fools just mad SONY a beter company an they cant stand to see there $249 thrown on some over priced DS system that only has bout 2 beter upgrades than its older past systems while SONY not only made 1 or 2 upgrades to its new system but alot more for the same price. But it all good cuz most them fools hatin on SONY just lil kids that feel like nintendo ripd them off. I think SONY should make a digital download only model if it will make the psp vita smaller or sell them with internal memory options like iphone does 8GB -64GB. Even though it be more expensive it it probly run u the same price as buyin memory cards seporate from the actual psp vita system.

+ arcticjim on June 12th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

What will the games cost? also the release date is 11-11-11 right?

+ dhfhs2 on June 12th, 2011 at 5:13 pm said:

@615 internal memory sucks. i’d rather have memory cards that I can transfer stuff easier with.. if you picked the one with less internal memory for a lower price you can’t upgrade it..

+ mAgIcMaNgOeS12 on June 12th, 2011 at 7:01 pm said:

Yea! will the vita be available for other carriers?

+ myloveipad on June 12th, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

( ⊙o⊙ )哇 碉堡了!!!!

+ GasTankKiller on June 12th, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

I like the $249 price tag for the wireless, but who thought it was a good idea to partner with AT&T? As soon as people could get the iPhone on another network many of them jumped the AT&T ship.

I liked this comment a lot, “Today, we proudly announced a partnership with AT&T.” I’m not sure why anyone would be proud of that partnership. I don’t see as many of the 3G models being sold based on this partnership.

Other then the 3G fail, I’m happy to finally be getting a new handheld gaming system.

+ EseBones on June 13th, 2011 at 3:04 am said:

617, yeah fool i know what u mean but i mean having the option of having a certian amount of internal memory plus an extra memorycard slot like the pspgo had to get more memory if needed cuzz fools that complianed bout the goes price being $50 more then the psp3000 it kinda made sense since 16GB memory cards cost alot depending were u buyem at but still having no umd drive made fools mad

+ EseBones on June 13th, 2011 at 3:06 am said:

“PSPGO’S” not goes my bad

+ Hammstray on June 13th, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

This, sir, is WINNING!

+ arcticjim on June 13th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

Games better be $40 and release date better be 11-11-11. If not I am going to freak out on Sony. I have waited so long for psp go and it could only play downloadable content. Please Sony don’t ruin the gaming system of the century. Please respond Sony PLEASE

+ ftbljok on June 13th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

very cool price and gonna be better than psp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ mysterioA97 on June 13th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

This is awsome… this will be the best one yet… long live PLAYSTION………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

+ supermariofan101 on June 13th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

What is Sony going to do with the PSP? I hope they are not going to throw it under the bus and watch it die.

+ GasTankKiller on June 13th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

@627

lol, The PSP has been dead for so long and they throw it under the bus when they came out with the PSPgo.

+ alexdonavon on June 13th, 2011 at 8:16 pm said:

PSP / PSP Go it was a good time but PSV is taking the driver’s seat now.

+ AizawaYuuichi on June 14th, 2011 at 1:09 am said:

*doesn’t bother reading the 13 pages of comments…*

““Party,” which lets you voice chat or text chat while playing games or using the Internet browser”

How does this mean “Cross Game Chat”? It means while YOU are playing a game, you can chat with someone else in the background. It says nothing about voice-chatting with someone else who is playing a game, let alone a different game than you are. My god, you people and your “gimme xbox features” demands are getting old.

@29: You do realize that March of 2010 to June of 2011 is not two years, right? Just thought I’d check…

+ MR_TACO_11 on June 14th, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

Will it have disk games or downloaded games?????
I hope the games are not downloadable.

+ mAgIcMaNgOeS12 on June 14th, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

I would rather have the Xperia Play. Especially since the Vita is on At&t, Verizon’s services are better it is also Playstation Certified and I can make phone calls,texts,play cool games on the cool slide out gaming keys and it’s android and it has 3G in more areas. Am I glad I’m getting the Xperia Play.

+ Gamer842 on June 14th, 2011 at 10:41 pm said:

is this very awesome i like pre-order now

+ xRODMACHINEx on June 16th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

Sony said The PS Vita will cost $249 USD for the Wi-Fi version and $299 USD for the 3G version available through AT&T stores. There will be a phased roll out from the end of the year 2011 throughout all the SCE regions.

+ frumencio123 on June 16th, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

wow that system is impressive nice job p.s

+ Techni on June 16th, 2011 at 1:08 pm said:

Please convince Sony to add TV-Out to Vita! And the ability to use a PS3 controller like PSP Go did.

+ RedRumBear on June 18th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

uncharted,killzone,bioshock, but where is oblivion and skyrim

+ Young_Soulja24 on June 21st, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

I can’t wait for the vita. I hope they make an exclusive call of duty game for it!

+ daniel_rosales12 on June 30th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

does any one know when will it come out

+ mindspliter7891 on July 3rd, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

what wood put this over the top is getting 4g from sprint or verizon at&t has the the worst service and hey i might get it if they add those feats

+ mindspliter7891 on July 3rd, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

and will at&t’s 3g one be no monthly payments if so no 3g even if they change providers

+ jlolment on July 4th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

This will be amazing. The specs, the game lineup (heard a rumor that there’ll be another monster hunter game), the… well, not really the AT&T. That part is terrible, Sony should have left it unlocked. I have AT&T internet, and hate it. No connection problems, just speed and price.

Also, let’s be honest here and talk about what was inevitable for the original PSP and what will likely happen within a week of PSV’s launch: cracked firmware. Sony should of course officially say they’re doing all they can to prevent it, but let’s be honest: who hasn’t dreamed of playing Halo on a handheld? In my opinion, the myriad of firmware hacks have only helped Sony by encouraging people to buy their hardware by allowing people to play both Nintendo and Sony games on one device. People choose the device that can do more. Open source, even unofficially, would be a huge boost to sales.

On the software distribution methods: Go with flash storage, no downloads from PSN required. Not only will flash storage let users save games where the game is, leaving room for downloads, but it might even support modding games like the PS3!

+ roshi281 on July 5th, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

i really want this badly, when i get this my profile name is still gonna be roshi281, or something that has roshi, and the other thing is that i might either get modnation or uncharted, but i want a game with online for it. i also heard call of duty and battlefield are in the making for the vita

PAGE 1 11 12 13