PS4-Watch_Dogs

NGP is now PlayStation Vita, Starting at $249

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Jun 06, 2011 // VP of Product Marketing

PlayStation Vita

Just moments ago during our 2011 E3 press conference we proudly unveiled an incredible 2011 software lineup and amazing new PS3 peripherals, and also shed new light on our highly anticipated handheld gaming device, officially named PlayStation Vita (PS Vita). “Vita,” which means “Life” in Latin, was chosen as the name for our next-generation portable entertainment system because it enables a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context.

By blurring the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, our goal was to design a device that offered a revolutionary combination of rich gaming capabilities and social connectivity, bringing users closer to each other and closer to their gaming experiences wherever they are. Connectivity was a key objective and our goal was to create experiences and content that would challenge the traditional notions of gaming. It was vital to make a device that was an extension of a user’s entertainment world, no matter where one would go.

PlayStation Vita

Successively launching in the global market for $249 starting the end of this year, PS Vita incorporates a beautiful 5-inch multi-touch organic light emitting diode (OLED) as the front display and a unique multi-touch pad on the rear. Two analog sticks enable a wider range of game genres. Together with the front touch screen and the rear touch pad, PS Vita offers new gameplay, enabling entirely new experiences.

ATT

We know you’ve been closely following all of the news since we announced the product in January. With mobile connectivity playing a huge role in PS Vita’s interactive experience, we know many of you have been wondering what carrier will be helping us bring you closer to other users and closer to your gaming experiences on the go. Today, we proudly announced a partnership with AT&T, which powers the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi models available, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for you to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with your friends wherever they are.

Ruin img0164

Ruin for PS Vita

The excitement doesn’t stop there. We believe that 2011 will be a defining year as we usher in a new era of portable gaming. With the official North American unveiling of PlayStation Vita also comes the introduction of an extensive line-up of software for the platform. PS Vita’s launch lineup is a force to be reckoned with, featuring exciting and attractive new titles from SCE Worldwide Studios, including UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet, and Ruin (working title), which utilize PS Vita’s groundbreaking technology to make unprecedented immersive, interactive and social game play available on-the-go. In addition, titles such as Little Deviants, Hot Shots Golf, Reality Fighter, Hustle Kings, ModNation Racers, Wipeout, Super Stardust Delta and a broad range of third-party game developers and publishers make use of PS Vita’s unique feature set. We can let all of you know that the biggest and best 1st and 3rd party gaming franchises will be coming to PS Vita.

Further enhancing your entertainment experience are new PS Vita features, such as “LiveArea,” an interactive space for each PS Vita software title that allows you to access the latest game information through PlayStation Network; “near,” a pre-installed application that lets you see what other PS Vita users in the vicinity are playing; “Party,” which lets you voice chat or text chat while playing games or using the Internet browser; and “Welcome Park,” a tutorial application designed specifically to guide you through PS Vita’s new user interface. For more information, be sure to visit http://us.playstation.com/ngp/.

2011 is sure to be an epic year for us here at PlayStation. We’re always looking for ways to create compelling experiences for all of you and we’re very excited to bring you unparalleled gaming experiences with PS Vita. Let us know your thoughts and looking forward to having you try out PS Vita for yourselves!

Read more about PlayStation at E3!

642 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 13

+ styx971 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

great move having the price at 250

not a fan of the name tho reminds me of 2 things windows vista which sucked and a std just has a ring to it like 1 for some reason .

AT&T is a horrible move obviously from your e3 crowd that was just about all booing at it … i mean not everyone likes or uses at&t i had sprint b4 i moved to germany and at&t before them on my mothers contract and they like to [DELETED] people over. not that i could use it even if i wanted to cause i’m in germany atm and theres only telecom moblie aka T-moblie back home

+ ClinToN on June 6th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

The price is right.

+ zekececil14 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:16 pm said:

@182
“umm you have no idea on what Australia prices are.they are overpricedddddddddddddd.Call of Duty Modern warfare 3 cost $119.00 Australian Dollars in Australia so that means if i convert it to U.S dollars it cost around $130USD or more when you guys in the U.S get it for around $56 USD($52 AUD).our Australia Dollars are higher then the U.S which is $1 AUD=$1.07USD today.see how much stress were getting in Australia from the pricing.”
^that makes NO SENSE! If $1 AUD=$1.07 USD, then a $60 USD would cost >$60 AUD because your dollar is worth $.07 more than ours. (it takes $1.07 USD to get $1 AUD) It would only cost $56.07 AUD. Judging by your information.

+ gowofwarkratos1 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

I loved the welcome back and now the Vita, thank a lot Sony !

+ TORNADO590 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:19 pm said:

thats an awsome price

+ wok on June 6th, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

Does the 3G model have any kind of monthly fee?

+ zekececil14 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:23 pm said:

Also 182
Our games start at $60 USD. 1 US dollar = 0.9338 Australian dollars. So your game should be $63.97 AUD.

+ misskalunji on June 6th, 2011 at 9:25 pm said:

Agreed! i’m totally getting it first day launch. And i came close to getting the psp go.

+ N_O_F_E_A_R-1 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

Im getting this!

+ chilidawg1477 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:27 pm said:

wat if i hav verizon and i buy the 3g one?

+ packy17 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:30 pm said:

Looks awesome, great price. And AT&T has always worked great for me where I live – most people only hate it because the blogs who report it’s unreliability live in cities where usage in congested, and then the hivemind of readers agree. W/e. AT&T rocks where I live. Depending on data pricing, I’ll def get the 3G model.

+ small__609 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:31 pm said:

Uhmm Can Anyone Tell Me When The Psp Vita Comes Out ? I Would Really Appreciate !

+ zekececil14 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

@196 i did my math backwards.

Your game SHOULD cost $55.8 AUD.

+ LionsguardAgrias on June 6th, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

I’m on board. Wifi only though since I live in a Twilight Zone for cell coverage.

+ Starr0511 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:36 pm said:

cant wait till x mas comes……………or until i get 250 dollars. what ever, im still going to get it.

+ Lara-Croft on June 6th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

Now is having the 3G required for the $299 or can you have it off until you are ready to get the plan?

+ purplestream on June 6th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

at least t-mobile. at&t sucks

+ ulisesramos650 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

i wonder if this will have Pshome

+ FonFahbre on June 6th, 2011 at 9:39 pm said:

Excellent pricing there, Sony!. I was biting my nails with anticipation of a high price range but you guys did as promised and made it affordable!.

+ Zhi13 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:40 pm said:

PSVita! youre so mine on launch day! :D

+ Josuey_de_PR on June 6th, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT

SONY PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE I WANT TO CROSS game TALK TO MY FRIENDS

+ Hokoga on June 6th, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

I was sold on the 3G one no matter what the price was until I heard Kazuo Hirai say AT and before he could get the &T part out I yelled at the TV Nooooo!
But on the bright side at least I be I’ll be saving an extra 50 bucks
@renzo 16thotyz didn’t you write that same comment on youtube

+ nikrel on June 6th, 2011 at 9:47 pm said:

Passing on the 3G, I was going to get it. Not now. All I hear is awful things about AT&T. Still getting a PSV just passing on 3G sadly.. I was excited about it as well.

+ Yaskael on June 6th, 2011 at 9:48 pm said:

Yep, most likely will get this one. Wonder if the 3G model comes to EU as well.

Anw to all those wanting cross game chat, just stop and think for a bit. If NGP is gonna have cross game already, wouldn’t that mean that the ps3 functionality is coming as well? =)

+ Sirynx77 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:49 pm said:

Its still the PSP to me… the PlayStation Pita that is. That’s what it sounded like when all of the developers said its name. That or PS VEGETA… which was weird because I thought ” why name it after a Dragonball character?”
I agree, AT&T choice was expected. The boos and the groans and of course the laughs where embarrassing especially when you look at Kaz reacting to them. Watch the announcement again, he is visibly taken back. So much that he stuttered a bit. I think the last time he was this embarrassed was when he went “RIIIIIIGE RACERRRRRR!!!!’ Which by the way its still not available as a PSOne Classic… still waiting on that one… but just like cross game chat its a dream now.

By the way did you guys notice that cross game chat will be part of the new handheld the PSV?

+ trav54 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:50 pm said:

Day one!!!!!

+ The_Egotiator on June 6th, 2011 at 9:51 pm said:

Sony, please let me dual boot android on there. It’s an arm processor and the OS is free. I don’t see why not. It’s already on your phones. It would totally work well with the PS suite too. Scratch resistant screen would be great. The scratch-prone screen really held back the PSP’s portability. The face buttons need be as good as the PSP’s too. And please allow me to plug it into my computer and PS3 with Bluetooth and use the trackpad on the back as a mouse. A wireless touch pad would be so much easier to use than a mouse when I’m on the couch. Also PLEASE let me be able to plug it into my TV thru a video-out and connect my DualShock 3 via Bluetooth to the PSV. A portable PS console AND media center would be born, especially if you also allowed external storage thru USB and media streaming over WIFI, like on the PS3. And let us actually play our PS3 games and Netflix during remote play! Tablet computing with updatable OS, Google apps, compact gaming system, portable media center, touchpad, possible Roku-replacement, etc! Easily a 10 year product. And are you really dead-set on Vita? How about the PS Compact, or PSC? It still rhymes with the “eee”, and it makes more sense. And the home screen is kinda kiddish.

+ The_Egotiator on June 6th, 2011 at 9:52 pm said:

Regardless of any of these software ideas being implemented, this is still an amazing system at a great price. Go Sony!

+ Viper1971 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:53 pm said:

:( ewwwww AT&T for the 3g, I will stick to my own 3g provider on my mobile as AT&T is one of the worst and crappiest companies that should have went under when they went bankrupt awhile back, I guess its wifi only model of the PSV for me

+ Assasinator0240 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

NINTENDO HAS ALWAYS BEEN AHEAD OF SONY. NOW SONY REVIELS THEIR SECRET WEAPON AND BEATS THE 3DS OH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT A BETTER PRICE THAN THAT EYE KILLING MONSTER PLAYED IT FOR 20 MINUTES AND GOT HEADACHES AND ALMOST BLIND!

+ LAK3R50WN on June 6th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

Good Price.
Bad Name.
Ugly 3G Provider.

+ zerosnake99 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:58 pm said:

Why haven’t full spec’s been revealed? We know the CPU and GPU in it, but what about the RAM?

+ Srg-JJ on June 6th, 2011 at 9:58 pm said:

i thought it was called the ngp?

+ Assasinator0240 on June 6th, 2011 at 9:59 pm said:

GOOD PRICE.
GOOD NAME.
AWESOME 3G PROVIDER.
LAK3R5OWN A HATER.
SPOILED.
NOT SATISFIED

+ Tridrakious on June 6th, 2011 at 10:03 pm said:

Cross Game Voice chat for the PSV but not PS3 AND!

YOU PARTNER WITH AT&T? WHY? HOW? I swear I will not pay a subscription fee for Vita. I refuse. I refuse to buy the Vita if it has a stupid 3G subscription plan.

I’ll stick with my PSP if I wanted Wi-fi only.

+ renzo_16thotyz on June 6th, 2011 at 10:04 pm said:

@ # 210 Hokoga

hahahahahaha…. u good… just 2 lazy 2 type so i just copy n paste… lol

+ KILLR_KLOWN on June 6th, 2011 at 10:07 pm said:

Looks Like a great machine for the price. But why would you pick the worst carrier in the United States to be the EXCLUSIVE carrier. Please tell me this is a timed exclusive.

+ Sirynx77 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:07 pm said:

@221:

It all depends where you live I guess… here in the Los Angeles area, AT&T coverage is spotting at best especially the 3G and assuming their new 4G networks. Even though its a major metropolitan area, get drop calls all the time still. How is that going to work with games… not good.

Name… its the PSV to me… PlayStation VEGETA that is.

+ MarioTBK on June 6th, 2011 at 10:08 pm said:

Great great great design! I love Vita! Not the name, but it’ll grow on me. Anyway, I really hope you get more press going with this than you did with PSP, This system has what it takes to be number 1!

And Marcus has to come back for Vita! And Kevin Butler! The Mascots are the best! As much as you guys are the best, You guys would be INSANE to get rid of two of the best mascots of this generation.

+ Mobstylez on June 6th, 2011 at 10:11 pm said:

Just pre-ordered 3G at Amazon.

+ calaisv on June 6th, 2011 at 10:11 pm said:

zekececil14 comment 196
this is an game store in Australia that has all the pricing in AUD.most games that are new cost over $80AUD.

+ rockinjs864 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:16 pm said:

to all you [DELETED] I think the man said they partnered with ATT because they were the best provider.maybe another reason why apple was exclusive to them for so long .don’t be a hater just because Verizon is cheaper their service is way [DELETED].I get excellent service from my phone 3G or wifi

+ MailOrderClone on June 6th, 2011 at 10:17 pm said:

There was a reason for the AT&T reaction.

But, hey, the system otherwise looks splendid.

+ FlyingPenguin10 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

Has 2 joystick things and great graphics. But it also has at &t ): but it has a touch screen(: probably buy it

+ AyatoKamina2 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:32 pm said:

I don’t know how i feel about this…. i hear ALOT of bad things about AT&T. I don’t know if this is going to be able to replace how good my PSP is to me. I mean the extra contract (if there is one) would be very expensive over all, cause AT&T isn’t cheap….. meh idk we’ll see…

+ BuchNasty on June 6th, 2011 at 10:32 pm said:

really hope you guys don’t plan on charging a monthly bill for the 3g connection cause thats [DELETED] if its going to be like that.

+ OsamaBinTbaggin on June 6th, 2011 at 10:33 pm said:

Didn’t AT&T just rip off like 20 million people by making false data charges to their phone? This is going to turn out well…

+ Freeqsalot on June 6th, 2011 at 10:33 pm said:

This price point is absolutely perfect. To be honest, I would have paid more. Thank you Sony for not forcing me to do that!

+ Melvins1 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:34 pm said:

I wasn’t expecting such a low price for so much tech. It’s a day one purchase for me, with at least 2 games.

First time I’m interested in a portable since the Gameboy Color.

+ Boxster17 on June 6th, 2011 at 10:35 pm said:

Absolutely thrilled how you guys priced this thing, figured it’d be priced at least around $300. Will likely pick this up day 1 (definitely will if Uncharted is a launch title).

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 13