PS4 - Destiny

E3 Replay: Scott Rohde Answers Your PS Vita Questions

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 17, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

The most talked-about PlayStation product out of E3 was, and continues to be, PS Vita. Yes, the hardware is impressive – especially at the starting price of $249 dollars. But – as is always the case – it’s all about the games. Fortunately, Vita looks set to launch with a plethora of big names and innovative indie games.

Who’s responsible for ensuring an awesome PS Vita launch lineup? People like Scott Rohde, Senior Vice President of Worldwide Studios Product Development at SCEA.

In our E3 interview, Scott Rohde talks about the making of Vita and the flexibility of the platform. It’s safe to say that fans of traditional button-and-analog-stick controls will be satisfied, all while incorporating innovative new interfaces like the back touch panel.

I’ve got to say, I love working for a company where a senior vice president doesn’t wear a suit. Like, ever.

210 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ percast2 on June 17th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

First! =)

+ percast2 on June 17th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

How about different colors? Or we have to buy third party skins?

+ whatisdelicious on June 17th, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

Skype? Saw a rumor. Totally want that. The Vita is looking better and better.

+ darthmilo77 on June 17th, 2011 at 4:09 pm said:

Will there be a monthly 3G fee?

+ whatisdelicious on June 17th, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

ALSO: HDMI out? Please don’t make me wait until the first hardware revision.

+ HaseoUser on June 17th, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

I wanna know about the colors and skins. ._.’

+ Conaaando on June 17th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

I would like to know about the trophies. :-) Will they be integrated with our current PS3 trophies? I hope so. This way I can level up on PS3 *or* Vita. That would be a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

+ IRaRe_IFoRmZz on June 17th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

How come this is priced at $249 in the USA but over here in the UK it’s priced at £229 which works out at $370?!
Surely it should be around £150-160?
Was really looking forward to this when i heard about the very acceptable price but we seem to be being ripped off by stores here in the UK.

+ Fedast on June 17th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

I have a very important question that needs confirmation: Will it be retro-compatible with PSP digital games??

+ whatisdelicious on June 17th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

@9 Fedast: Watch the video.

+ Jin_Kusanagi on June 17th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

Wait a second, there’s something I need to ask…
Is that a TRIFORCE from Zelda? Wrong company tattoo =p

+ darthmilo77 on June 17th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

@9: Yes, and in the video they say there will be smoothing so they’ll look better too.

+ xaos on June 17th, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

Very excited for this; probably my only hardware-related concern at this point is how durable is the screen? As something that will presumably get touched a lot, and therefore wiped a lot, I hope it’s some gorilla glass-esque type surface. Looking forward to getting my mitts on one of these things to find out for myself

+ KazeEternal on June 17th, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

@Jeff

One thing I’m concerned about is something that stems from the Xperia in relation to PSV. Xperia we had to rebuy our PSOne titles we already purchased off of PSN…. Well PSV plays PSP titles, are we going to have to go through the same BS and rebuy each of our PSP and PSOne to use them with PSV?

Also can we get a list of PSP titles that are getting the twin stick love?

+ Ibrahack on June 17th, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

the guy on the left is such an idiot!

+ EnigmaNemesis on June 17th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

@14 KazeEternal

No, it is tied to your PSN account, so you do not need to re-buy what you already purchased for PSOne/PSP titles.

I can not wait to get my hands on one!!!

+ El_Flash on June 17th, 2011 at 4:37 pm said:

the Vita is gonna be epic. The one question i think we all want answered, its about the 3G one… Will there be a monthly fee, and if so how much, it would be awesome if, its like the kindle, or ipad, with just a one time charge, but knowing AT&T i doubt it….

+ BigTStanley on June 17th, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

I know it has the built in microphone, but will it also be bluetooth compatible for multiplayer gaming? That’s what I like about the ps3 and if I can use that same headset with the PSVita, that would be cool.

+ akab211 on June 17th, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

Vita sounds like it will be worth it. At the very least for the awesome Uncharted Golden abyss

+ letherclad on June 17th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

you know they make microphone stands, right? you don’t have to pay a guy to hold the microphone for Scott Rohde.

Anyway, I’m really psyched for the Vita, can’t wait. The only question left is when is it released?

+ xBlackBloodx on June 17th, 2011 at 4:59 pm said:

Anyone else notice that the guy holding the PS mic has the triforce from zelda in his hand.. Where’s the PS logo or something? Come on… :p

+ LovesJapanManga on June 17th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

I would like to know if PS Vita have HDMI Out feature? If not, that is TRULY SHAME because some of us WOULD LOVE to play those games on big screen… With PS Vita as a controller in hands. That would be awesome feature… Cannot afford not to have one included.

+ LovesJapanManga on June 17th, 2011 at 5:02 pm said:

Oh. Also, how does that work with account system? I mean three activations for PSP- will that carry over to PS Vita? Or have to start fresh? Thanx.

+ Mijeme on June 17th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

PSVITA: HD touchscreen, 3G, rear touchscreen, Web Connectivity, front and rear camera, backwards compatibility w/ PSP digital media, and PS3 connectivity…with 5 seconds of battery life…

+ theindievisual on June 17th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

I want to see more of the OS! The XMB on the PSP was really groundbreaking and persists to the PS3 today, and pretty much reminds me when I use it that I’m playing a Sony console now. Can we get something like that on the PSVita? The new OS looks kind of silly and way less mature than the traditional XMB, can we get an option to switch between OS styles? Or just show off the depth of the OS a bit more, all I’ve seen are silly-looking touch bubbles.

And what’s the full extent of Playstation Suite on the PSVita? Now that Android is in the picture, is it possible that we could boot Android on the PSV someday? It could become a fully-functional Android device, especially with those amazing specs and screen.

+ Surfaced on June 17th, 2011 at 5:18 pm said:

You know what depresses me?

Despite all the media coverage, despite all of Sony’s coverage, NOBODY has even MENTIONED L3/R3 functionality. I have checked almost every gaming news site under the sun.

Nobody has said anything about that, whether it has it or not; nothing.

So can someone give us a definitive answer once and for all? Do the analog thumbsticks click or don’t they?

+ DZORMAGEN on June 17th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

@15 Ibrahack

Hey don’t mess with Rey, he is a nice guy!!

+ Alyyse on June 17th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

the more i see videos on the vita the more excited i get

+ Alyyse on June 17th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

vita for the win

+ B-Real206 on June 17th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

To all involved in this video a big thanks goes out to you. I have been very excited since this was announced earlier in the year. 249 practically seals the deal for me.

I do have a question though what are the benefits of having the 3G version besides always being connected?

Looking forward to more info including a release date. TGS perhaps?

+ Lexaus1222 on June 17th, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

I know they have only just been announced, but I was wanting more game demos to be shown for the system. Like how the upscaling and control mapping works for PSP games like Resistance: Retribution or for more showings for obscure games like Vanillaware’s ‘Dragon’s Crown’. The unveiling of the Vita (meh… the name will grow on me) was really what made my E3. If Sony keeps this momentum throughout the year at Comic-Con, GamesCom, and TGS, I’ll be buying the system Day 1!!!

+ cjmc18 on June 17th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!! EPIC!! LOVE THE VITA!!! I HOPE I CAN GET IT ON DAY ONE!!!

+ Infamous_Legend on June 17th, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

Jeff, can we play all those minis that you and your wife are making on the Vita?

+ boxmyth on June 17th, 2011 at 5:54 pm said:

I was lucky enough to touch the Vita at E3 (2 1/2 hour wait… totally worth it).
I was sold immediately. It’s such a sexy device, and most importantly, it has a great launch library.

+ Assasinator0240 on June 17th, 2011 at 5:57 pm said:

Dont see MICROSOFT making awesome things theyre all computer nerds

+ TRINIKING on June 17th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

cant wait

+ PYDRO01 on June 17th, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

1. about REY: hes a true gamer, you cant know what is right untill you test all, zelda is a leading gae franchise, and 2. the only question i have is will media go get formated to support vita to backup data or will the PSPlus cloud storage be accesible from vita

+ kratos1984 on June 17th, 2011 at 6:08 pm said:

will we be able to play vita game using a dual shock 3 controller through blutooth?

+ PoInTyNiPs on June 17th, 2011 at 6:11 pm said:

i really like how scott rhode mentioned the back touch as shoulder buttons like the dualshock’s l2/r2. i really hope that developers that make fpss’ for psv use this idea then it will play and feel like a dualshock. really amazing product sony but i wished that it still had internal memory. overall design and functionality this is definitively a buy for me and i hope that in box it has the saftey risk band, hdmi cable, and other accessories that usually don’t come with in box.

+ DoctorEvil98 on June 17th, 2011 at 6:25 pm said:

does anyone know know about who the Canadian carrier will be?

+ FonzoEscobar on June 17th, 2011 at 6:28 pm said:

@11 he also had the “Triangle, Circle, X, Square ” on his left forearm.

+ Deathspear666 on June 17th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

Who cares if he has the Triforce tattoo??!! Gaming is gaming..Anyways can’t wait till 12-31-11..PS Vita will be mine lol :)

+ Emerald_Swords on June 17th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

Great interview

+ BrownCinnamon on June 17th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

Will The PS Vita have Netflix & Hulu Plus?

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on June 17th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

+ Surfaced

Yes the analog sticks click in, some games use them some games don’t. MW2, Black Ops just to name a few, lets you knife or sprint depending on how you set up the controls that you like using.

+ rpmacedo on June 17th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

@ Jeff Rubenstein

Congratulations to all from PSBlog for the excellent coverage at E3. Great interviews, videos and everything Playstation relate. I’ll like to see all this content available on PS Store or PS Home in HD.
Good job and I hope to see this again next year.

+ Razeluxe on June 17th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

Can it play Divx and mkv. files :D

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 17th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

Internal memory, battery life, RAM size, where the hell are the 3rd party games (Bioshock and COD are great, but give us Gears, Mass Effect, Elder Scroll, Assassin’s Creed, Diablo, Left4Dead, RAGE, GTA, Civilization, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc etc etc), price of games, ps suite games (c’mon this is supposed to combat the iOS and make android games better and we haven’t heard anything about it, where is it?), apps store?, will we be able to play the PSP HD remasters on it (I take it they’ll be released on PSN?), will we be able to play PS2HD remasters on it (as was hinted by Kojima)? Will we be able to play PSN games like Dead Nation, Critter Crunch, Monkey Island, and Fat Princess on it? I’m not buying the same game again. For a game that’s the same experience like Ruin and SFxTekken, will we have to buy 2 copies of the same SKU or will it be like Portal 2(thanks Valve)? I’m not buying the same game twice. Is it releasing this year in the US (forget about Japan)? It’s not region locked, is it? Can I connect it to my PS3 and play it on the big screen? Will it have lots of connectivity like WiiU? Will Uncharted GA have multiplayer? Is there netflix on this thing? Will it have a reader functionality?

+ lisatsunami on June 17th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

Jeff, Scott & Rey & Sid, I’ve now watched all the E3 videos and this was the best. It was so informative and exciting it would have made me buy the Vita…..except I already pre-ordered.

Awesome presentations of E3. I second what others have said: please do this for other gaming shows you attend. It does so much for the fan base, I don’t think you even know.

+ gold1617 on June 17th, 2011 at 7:22 pm said:

how many mps are the cameras?

PAGE 1 2 3 5