PS4-Watch_Dogs

Amy is Survival Horror Evolved, Coming to PSN This Summer

Djamil Kemal's Avatar + Posted by Djamil Kemal on Jun 20, 2011 // Lexis Numérique

If you’re into new survival-horror experiences, this post is for you! After recently releasing Red Johnson’s Chronicles on PSN, we’re excited to be publishing Amy on PSN later in 2011. Amy is the upcoming game from Paul Cuisset, who may be a familiar name for some of you; In the early 90s Paul created Flashback, a classic game that is credited today as a great source of inspiration by respected game designers.

With Amy, we’re now bringing Paul’s innovative concepts to PS3 owners with a new development philosophy that bridges the gap between innovative indie PSN games and very ambitious Blu-ray titles.

Amy for PS3 (PSN)

Dark Days

The story begins on a rainy December day in 2034. Global warming is in full swing, spreading diseases and natural disasters all around the world. You play as Lana, a character who regains consciousness following a comet impact in the small town of Silver City. Upon awakening, you discover that Silver City has descended into chaos. Violence, fury, rage, wreckage and death: the world you knew has been torn to Hell.

Struck by a mysterious virus, most of the townspeople have transformed into gruesome creatures and now prowl the streets as a wild horde. You’re wounded and you know you must escape, but you’re infected and the viral process has already begun: Hell is now pumping through your veins. There are only two ways to survive the infection. One is by locating special medical equipment found on the corpses of soldiers who have invaded Silver City. The other lies with Amy.

Amy for PS3 (PSN)Amy for PS3 (PSN)

Unlikely Alliance

By your side is a strange little girl named Amy, who can’t speak but whose face expresses both fear and sadness. While you’re fleeing and trying to protect her, you realize that being close to her stops the contamination and even temporarily heals you. That might be the reason why infected humans, grisly creatures, Special Forces combatants and even other survivors are after the two of you. To stay alive, you will have to help each other.

But contrary to many games with a secondary character, Amy is neither a super warrior nor a docile character that follows you. You can use her small size and weight to reach inaccessible areas and ask her to do specific actions. Being a child, Amy is also naturally curious and will explore the environment with you – sometimes she might even draw your attention to something you would have missed.

More importantly, Amy possesses several special abilities. By pressing R1, you can hold her hand. This enables you to heal, but also lets you feel Amy’s heartbeat through the rumble of the DualShock 3, which lets you feel her stress level while you explore dangerous locations. This might be very useful, even if holding her hand slows you down. Amy also has several other special abilities that I’m not going to detail now…but trust me, you will like them.

Amy for PS3 (PSN)

Survival Stealth

Your overall goal is to escape with Amy, and find a safe shelter to save her (we call this mechanic “exfiltration”). You’ll hide, run, fight, solve puzzles and use cunning, and you will often be free to choose your tactics. In addition, while you progress, you will meet different characters and explore the special bond between Amy and Lana.

One of our goals is to make you feel the fragility of Lana and Amy. Lana is not trained to fight; Amy is just a kid. But you can try to avoid your enemies, for example, by hiding in a closet or under a table. While hiding, you can spy on your pursuers…but be careful!

Another option is to use your infection to your advantage. When you show signs of infection, most of the enemies won’t attack you if you move slowly. But you will have to avoid the soldiers, who will shoot you on sight, and you’ll need to stop the infection before it‘s too late. Most of the enemies are able to communicate with each other so if one spots you, the others will rush in to attack. If you’re clever, you can exploit their intelligence to deceive them and trigger a fight between soldiers and infected humans.

But being smart won’t be enough. When cornered, you’ll need to gather your courage and fight back tooth and nail because your enemies are fierce. Although you have an inventory, you won’t be choosing between tons of items: You will have to make do with small weapons: clubs, crowbars and the like. Lana only carries light items with her and uses only one weapon at a time. In a pinch, you can sometimes use the environment to your advantage, for instance by attracting an enemy into a water puddle and electrifying it.

Amy’s Atmosphere

We’ve also worked hard on the script to provide you with a fully coherent experience. From a train station, to a hospital, going through a subway or the dark streets of Silver City, you will discover a unique atmosphere with Amy.

Finally, I’d like to share a worldwide exclusive video with you, a video we’ve just made to show off the game’s visuals and atmosphere. We will soon be releasing a new video demonstrating certain gameplay moments, so stay tuned! You can watch the video at the top of this blog post.

If you want to follow us, check out our Facebook page. See you soon!

106 Comments

+ Surfaced on June 20th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

@49, The game’s story probably won’t last more than 10 hours. It costs $13.

+ Surfaced on June 20th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Actually, scratch that “10 hours”. Probably won’t be longer than 5 hours.

But I’m still very excited for this. Too bad it’s not a PSN exclusive though. Where did that news come from, anyway?

+ stlthriot on June 20th, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

Looking like it could be good one! Excited to see the next video with more details!

+ marlyt on June 20th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

Interesting, except that the “global warming” myth has been debunked a thousand times over. If this is a political “shame on you humans” “art piece” count me out. If it’s simply an idea for the “why” of the five w’s then I’ll pull the trigger. The last thing I and others need is preaching the liberal line in our games. I get enough of that garbage elsewhere. I stopped seeing hollyweird movies two years ago.

+ EvoAnubis on June 20th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

Very interested in this game.

+ admiral2150 on June 20th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

I appreciate everybody’s comments it’ just gets annoying is all. I wish sony would give us a free 50 dollar credit or free Escalation map pack however I am down with the free games we got even though i’ve beat them both i still can trophy hunt on them :D

+ tonydamiani on June 20th, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

Wow this game is gonna kick azz!

This is like Siren: Blood Curse + Silent Hill + Resident Evil !

Looks Scary ! >_<

+ Battlepope190 on June 20th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

I’ve been following this game for almost a year now, and it was (believed to be) PSN Exclusive since people first heard of it. Lately now there are reports that it is also going to appear on XBL; is this true?

+ MadMeat001 on June 20th, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

I need a Ps3

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on June 20th, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

That looks incredible!

+ xRedxViolence on June 20th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

interesting would love to see some gameplay footage.

not too excited about this being placed in the future nor the main character.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on June 20th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

the content just keeps coming

All i need is my PS3 and PS Vita

+ PoInTyNiPs on June 20th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

why isn’t there an hd stream please fix thanks in advance and looks amazing by the way reminds me of of silent hill ps2 versions.

+ DazeOfWar on June 20th, 2011 at 4:24 pm said:

The small changes to the character over time was impressive. I’ll be watching this one more.

+ GAMEBOY_5000 on June 20th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

it looks like silent hill a little bit but it still looks good but not as good as MODERN WARFEAR 3.

+ mikedo2007 on June 20th, 2011 at 4:49 pm said:

So this is Resident Evil and Silent Hill meet F.E.A.R am I correct? It almost remind of those 3 games.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 20th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

There were rumors this was coming to Vita too, confirm or deny?

+ wizardpsx on June 20th, 2011 at 5:51 pm said:

Wow, this looks great!! hope that the Sounds is great To!!

+ plaztiksyke on June 20th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

looks really awesome. I like getting all these technical details! some questions:

1) will the plot be branching, like Heavy Rain?

2) looks like 720p rendering with MSAA, is that right?

3) how many SPUs are you leveraging at once, and with what load?

4) music sounds great, but hopefully you do a better job with your audio assets than Dead Space did. Dead Space’s MP3 assets sounded super muddy, and it greatly diminished the experience for me. can we count on bluray-quality assets?

5) here’s another vote for Fade to Black on PSN :)

PS: I really liked Siren as well, but wish it would get trophy support and a fresh coat of paint. Move support would be nice as well :)

+ Thrill_Kill on June 20th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

wow, seems like it should be an awesome experience! I love horror games, so make this as scary as Siren/Silent Hill, and I am sold!

+ TripwireX on June 20th, 2011 at 7:02 pm said:

I juust wet my pants thinking about the anxiety this game will cause me.

+ Rogers71 on June 20th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

For those of you that are confused about what the term “God Rays” means…..It is not a boss or an enemy of any kind. It is also not a power that you will have….it is the term for the light rays shining through the window. Play the video back and you will see when they show the term God Rays, it is showing the dynamic lighting that comes through the window. Sorry to dissappoint but just thought I would clear that one up.

+ Souledge94 on June 20th, 2011 at 7:38 pm said:

This game looks great. I need a price though.

+ Ethereal on June 20th, 2011 at 8:09 pm said:

Ummm, new survival horror? Sign me up. Eagerly awaiting the new video!

+ manzoor47 on June 20th, 2011 at 8:11 pm said:

wow looks amazing!!!!!! definitely looking forward to it :D

+ mcbuttz78 on June 20th, 2011 at 8:13 pm said:

This game could use ps move support down the line if possible. Also it Reminds me of silent hill part 1 kinda. But im not going to taint your hard work by casting it looks like another game. Im going to have to play it and find out.

mcbuttz78
vp- psn legionairre group

+ thebgj on June 20th, 2011 at 8:16 pm said:

did they announce the price yet?

+ invision2212 on June 20th, 2011 at 9:40 pm said:

it looks really promising, the lack of guns is kind of a bummer but as long as its interesting it wont matter much

+ Budapesti on June 20th, 2011 at 11:35 pm said:

You had me at ‘God Rays’.

+ that-acmilan-guy on June 20th, 2011 at 11:57 pm said:

really peaked my interest in the game, looks incredible for a DL game. Need to know more!

Also I am getting mixed answer, IGN.com says its multiplatform while GameSpot.com only lists the PS3 version.

+ that-acmilan-guy on June 20th, 2011 at 11:58 pm said:

Yep it is multiplatform, see below – http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318791/e3-2011-amy-preview-impressions/?tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle

+ luvtoseek on June 21st, 2011 at 12:34 am said:

I will def. play this game… with all my house lights TURNED on.

+ LaZy_GiRL on June 21st, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

This game looks sick!!! but there’s people saying it’s not a ps3 exclusive? wth? if multiplatform the quality of the game will suck :(

+ MCR44 on June 21st, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

Watched the video & read about it. This may be the start to the rebirth of the Survival Horror Genre (Not counting the Dead Space series as Survival Horror because you are overpowered. in my opinion, Survival Horror should place you in a situation where you are relatively weak & have to use tactics)

+ chico14o on June 21st, 2011 at 1:32 am said:

looks cool o.o

+ MohammedMK on June 21st, 2011 at 1:48 am said:

Wow!! Looks VERY interesting to me. This generation REALLY lacks this type of games. Please do your best at it!!

+ jc2120 on June 21st, 2011 at 1:51 am said:

looks pretty cool great graphics cant wait

+ Ph03n1x7 on June 21st, 2011 at 1:58 am said:

All I have to say is that I will get this game the first day it comes out it looks awsome, and the charactor looks realistic not like most of the new/old games nowadays.

+ Fenrisulfr_ on June 21st, 2011 at 2:19 am said:

I’m generally interested in this title. Nice tech demo with interesting back story, can’t wait to hear more.

+ Kchow23 on June 21st, 2011 at 2:28 am said:

Wow! this game looks amazing for a PSN game.

+ MAC_2005 on June 21st, 2011 at 5:48 am said:

This looks amazing. The entire time I was just looking at her like “Is she changing? Why is happening? This is getting creepy….[DELETED] is going on here?!” I can’t wait for this game!!

+ LiquidMetal14 on June 21st, 2011 at 6:29 am said:

I hope you show more game play soon. Looks very compelling. I do like these kinds of tech video to show that you guys know what you’re doing from the tech side of things.

+ RockemKnockem on June 21st, 2011 at 7:41 am said:

Looks good. I WANT GAMEPLAY.

+ Red_Sour on June 21st, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

This kind of gameplay reminds me “Haunting Ground” with some paranormal stuff…

+ SeanScythe on June 21st, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

“Global warming is in full swing, spreading diseases and natural disasters all around the world.”

Really? Couldn’t have thought of something a little more original? Really getting sick of all this G.W. B.S. in my games. Sly had it, other games mention it and now this. I play games to get away from all the B.S. in my life and now the G.W. agenda is forcing it’s self on me in my games.

+ KingRat2314 on June 21st, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

This looks amazing, and if I didn’t know that it’s for PSN, I would think it were a full disc game. Very impressive.

+ InfinitiProject on June 21st, 2011 at 8:38 pm said:

This looks to be quite a thrill to play! Any chance of seeing a reincarnation of Flashback, in HD? Awesome classic game was SOOO awesome back then! :D

+ RyuuFox on June 21st, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

Aww, I thought it was a heart of Darkness remake. This still looks awesome though.

+ kanjolie on June 21st, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

This game looks pretty amazing.

Depending on how much game time I can get from this I’m really excited about purchasing it so far. Can’t wait for more videos from it!

But yeah, I’m also curious about whether or not this will be on vita.

+ David–Clark on June 22nd, 2011 at 2:21 am said: