Bloodborne

Enter The Dream-like World of Papo & Yo

Andy Burt's Avatar + Posted by Andy Burt on Jun 23, 2011 // Correspondent, PlayStation.Blog

Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)Papa & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

Puzzle-platformers are no rare breed on PSN, but one upcoming title, Papo & Yo, is looking to revitalize the genre in a number of intriguing ways. Introduced in early June on the PlayStation.Blog, Papo & Yo tells the story of Quico, a young boy who has an unlikely best friend: a giant hulking beast named, appropriately, Monster. Together, the duo must navigate an ethereal world that’s reminiscent of a South American town but is set entirely in Quico’s imagination. The world itself is made up of dream-like neighborhoods to roam and populated with puzzles to solve.

After getting my hands on the game at E3, it didn’t take long to notice the unique approach developer Minority is taking when it comes to navigation and puzzle solving. Controlling Quico from a third-person perspective, I wandered a bit around Papo & Yo’s surreal world. Players can easily run and jump around the expansive environments, and also use visual cues to direct Monster (as well as a cute little flying robot named Lula) to points of interest. Utilizing all three characters to solve puzzles is key to progressing in the game, and once you learn a few basics—Monster is good at moving heavy objects, for example, and Lula can reach high areas inaccessible to Quico—the gameplay becomes surprisingly intuitive.

What really impressed me while playing is how the world changes according to Quico’s actions. Picking up a series of unassuming boxes near a line of houses causes the actual individual houses to lift off the ground and move according to where Quico places the boxes. Placing the boxes inside a nearby chalk outline causes the houses to create a rooftop bridge for Quico to cross. The entire segment really helped highlight the dream-like nature of Papo & Yo’s world.

Papo & Yo for PS3 (PSN)

There is, however, a dark side to Papo & Yo. If Monster happens to come across a poisonous frog (his favorite snack) and eat it, he’ll be thrown into a frenzied rage that puts Quico’s life in danger. Papo & Yo creative director Vander Caballero explained that Monster’s addiction to poisonous frogs is meant as an analogy to his own father’s substance abuse, which greatly affected the developer when he was a young boy (like Quico). Preventing Monster from eating the frogs, or hightailing Quico away from him if he does, is key to survival throughout the game.

There’s still plenty more of Papo & Yo that I can’t wait to see, but the game is already looking and playing wonderfully. Keep your eyes on the PlayStation.Blog for more news down the line.

+ yazter on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

I absolutely cannot wait for this game, especially knowing what the story and setting is placed on.

Thanks for this post!

+ Andy Burt on June 23rd, 2011 at 12:50 pm said:

My pleasure! Really enjoyed checking this game out, can’t wait to get my hands on it again.

+ rienji on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

the producer of the game is brazilian, isn’t?

+ stef_bone on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

this game looks enticing. can’t wait :P

+ AguilarX on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

Thank you scei for allowing indie games such as this as well as, pixeljunk series, that game company games, and many more to flourish on PSN.

+ plaztiksyke on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

Besdies BioShock Infinite, this was the most compelling game I saw in the E3 coverage. It’s games like this, echochrome, Braid, PixelJunk Eden, and Everyday Shooter that keep me on PS3.

+ Surfaced on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

One of my most highly anticipated games; not just for PSN; most anticipated PERIOD.

Any hints on a release date?

Also keep it up, SCE. I know you will eventually lose thatgamecompany because they have much higher aspirations, but please continue to deliver fresh experiences that can’t be found anywhere else.

+ ShadowOfEden on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

@2
I’m pretty sure they said they were from Montreal before. I’m a developer for a studio in Montreal and I love to encourage other local studios.

+ ShadowOfEden on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

Yep, from Montreal.

+ Kchow23 on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

Just wondering if the title isn’t supposed to be Papa & Yo? the video I downloaded off PSN “misspelled” it. However, that would make more sense since in spanish that would say “Father and Me”.

+ Andy Burt on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

The title is definitely Papo & Yo.

+ Blade133 on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

I can’t wait for this game to come out. I’m confident that it’ll be nothing less than revolutionary and will hopefully inspire other designers to take risks in exploring impacting content.

+ ShoryukenII on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

This, Journey and Amy are the only games I’m buying off of PSN. This game looks so cool and surreal. It’s kind of like Paranoia Agent with the hidden meanings. I didn’t know Papo & Yo meant Father and Me. This game’s concept is really sad. I can’t wait to play it!

+ Buckis2002 on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

I’m more exited for “heist” than anything else on PSN for games well that would be AC: revelations

+ MarioTBK on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

So The Last Guardian IS coming out this year!

But for real, this concept sounds a little depressing, but amazing at the same time.

+ shazbot-finubus on June 23rd, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

Looking forward to this one.

I have to say, I really appreciate the range of games showing up on the PS3/PSN, games that are trying to convey a broader array of emotions and scenarios vs. the typical Team Death Match Shooter. Papo & Yo, Journey, Amy, and a bunch of others. I love it, it’s why I play video games.

+ Kirkpad on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

Really cool preview! This game is looking like another day one PSN buy, for sure. Sony should give me a free hard drive for how many PSN games I have! (only kidding of course)

+ marlyt on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

Love the story, at least the idea of the story. As an older son of an aging father and my own substace history, I get it. Want to know more.

+ snake4308 on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

you have an avatar of journey, yet you cover this game? what a tease!

+ Andy Burt on June 23rd, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

;)

+ Benmo316 on June 23rd, 2011 at 2:50 pm said:

This game looks interesting. I’ll strongly considering purchasing this one!

+ Fusion13 on June 23rd, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

:D

+ PhantomOfPanton on June 23rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

This game looks so amazing! So many unique and beautiful PSN games this year :)
Can’t wait to play this! Thanks for the post!

Journey looks awesome too, nice avatar :)

+ Andy Burt on June 23rd, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

Thanks! I think you’ll enjoy it :)

+ Creative_ae on June 23rd, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT PS3 CROSS GAME CHAT

We want this option!!!!!!!!
Is it really that hard to add!

+ rezvan11 on June 23rd, 2011 at 7:03 pm said:

Might be a game I get. If it is anything like portal than oh yeah babe!

+ Mattsta001 on June 23rd, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

Looks interesting, hope there will be demo.

+ Seshat on June 24th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

This looks like a truly unique game concept.

Please, we need more meaningful games, more magical realism. I always thought that If I was a developer I would do a game based on magical realism set in a place like Macondo (and I think this game is the closest to this vision) Go Colombia! :-)

+ SEAL_TEAM_7p on June 24th, 2011 at 9:54 am said:

This is what I love about playstation the absolutely unique content and games that you can not get anywhere else.

+ Psikorps on June 24th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

Lets see…

PSN Exclusive? Check.
Unique? Check.
Imaginative? Check.
Canadian Development Company? Bonus

Looking forward to this one.

+ FRANKMAN1 on June 24th, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

Fun fact. The word “Papo” is used in some countries as V*g*na

+ Quincho on June 24th, 2011 at 11:39 pm said:

release date?? for this one and for Journey… :)

+ DeathGazer on June 25th, 2011 at 6:19 am said:

will buy day 1.

+ tiny_tim31 on June 25th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

do we have an approximate release date?