LittleBigPlanet 3

inFAMOUS 2 User-Generated Missions: Tutorial Videos

Collin Moore's Avatar + Posted by Collin Moore on Jul 14, 2011 // Communications Manager, Zombie Studios

Welcome to the world of mission design! Jumping into the deep end and figuring it out on your own can be fairly daunting, but Sucker Punch has been listening to feedback gathered from your experiences in inFAMOUS 2 and we want to make mission designing a breeze!

Check out the introductory video below and, if you want to learn more about User-Generated Content (UGC), take a gander at our UGC Tutorial Video series that details everything from how to create waypoints to the best use of triggers.

Tutorial Video 1: Getting started with inFAMOUS 2 UGC

This tutorial video is a good place to start if you’ve never experienced inFAMOUS 2 UGC before. It covers the basics: entering the UGC Menu, creating missions from Templates, and playing missions from within the editor.

Tutorial Video 2: Logic Boxes and Smart Text

Logic Boxes and Smart Text are the bread and butter of inFAMOUS 2 UGC. Once you figure out how to use them effectively, you’ll be able to turn New Marais into a rich, lustrous city teeming with mission objectives and unique experiences.

In this video: Introduction to Logic Boxes, how to connect Logic Boxes, and the dynamically updating smart text.

Tutorial Video 3: Groups

Did you know that setting up individual Groups within your inFAMOUS 2 UGC mission can infinitely increase the possibilities of what you can create? They’re crucial to keeping your mission nice and organized. Parent Groups add another layer of control and organization, so view on, faithful inFAMOUS 2 mission designer.

In this video: How to effectively utilize Groups, creating unique Groups, editing Groups, and the function of Parent Groups.

Tutorial Video 4: NPCs and Paths

Moving an NPC from point A to point B is simpler than it seems. You can create an NPC’s path and even choose his movement speed with just a few logic boxes. After viewing this tutorial video, you’ll become the puppet master of NPCs.

In this video: creating paths, placing NPCs, and placing and connecting the logic required to move NPCs.

inFAMOUS 2: Cole grinds

Tutorial Video 5: Waypoints

Waypoints are a great way to tell the player where to go. With just a few logic boxes you can determine how and when they appear on the player’s mini-map, and when they disappear. After viewing this tutorial video, players will never be lost within your missions again.

In this video: how to create and remove waypoints with the Object Modifier, and how to assign waypoints to Groups.

Tutorial Video 6: Triggers

Triggers allow you to create a sense of randomization within your mission, and allow you to alter individual objects within the same group. They’re great for fine-tuning your mission and for providing you with a larger degree of control.

In this video: what a trigger is; how to utilize triggers with Volumes, Monitors, and the Object Modifier; Trigger Groups; the Selector logic box.

Tutorial Video 7: Switches

Want to build a Karma Moment? Switches allow you to change up your logic connections based off how the player plays your mission. After viewing this tutorial video you’ll be able to create drastically different endings to your missions, and control in which order the player completes your objectives.

In this video: how to use a switch to enable or disable connections between logic boxes.

Tutorial Video 8: Play Testing and Publishing Missions

Play testing is something every good mission designer needs to do—in fact, it’s something you literally MUST do before you can upload your inFAMOUS 2 UGC mission. Everybody wants to be Famous, and this tutorial video will help get you on your way by providing some tips for what Sucker Punch looks for when picking Featured missions.

In this video: tips on play testing and polishing your UGC missions; the “Play to Publish” feature; how to upload and update your UGC missions.

PAGE 1 2

+ Destiny89 on July 14th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

Loving Infamous 2 so much, thanks for this great game

+ NiteVersions on July 14th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

The UGC was the only thing about this game I didn’t like.

+ lisatsunami on July 14th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

I have’t gotten very far in I2 yet so logically shouldn’t comment on what I don’t know but as that factor doesn’t seem to stop anybody else on this blog site….

Dear Suckerpunch: I love InFamous. Shooting lightning out my hands would be my chosen super power. User created content which I guess started on playstation with LBP, is the single greatest innovation in console gaming in years. Thanks for working that in.

+ digitalman123 on July 14th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

Never really got into the mission design. Probably won’t, but thanks for the tips if I decide to do so!

Collin Moore's Avatar

+ Collin Moore on July 14th, 2011 at 1:21 pm said:

You should really try it out. We are seeing lots of cool and creative things in the missions that have been submitted so far.

+ Heavenly_king on July 14th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

I like the initiative of creating things that began with LBP. Because it is like we PS3 can have some “mods” for our games :)

+ alok893 on July 14th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

Please Colin Moore, Can u thank everybody in Sucker Punch Productions for creating my Favorite Super Hero Game and Story.
Cole Magrath Forever!
Half as Long,Twice as Bright.

Collin Moore's Avatar

+ Collin Moore on July 14th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

Thanks! I’ll be sure to tell everyone on the team.

+ blakseed on July 14th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

Loving the game, but I haven’t been able to connect to the UGC server since the game launched. I’m not sure what the problem is.

+ Mobius2525 on July 14th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

finish plat the game,also these tips are over a month late.

+ CTank on July 14th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

I noticed in the beginning of the tutorial that there’s a search engine that’s been added to the UGC system. So is that gonna be a new addition to the menu, or is that some type of developer tool for managing the online content?. I’m interested in this because I love the concept of UGC in inFamous 2, but I found it strange that a search engine was not put into the game on start. It would make it easier to access topic-based missions and even access a friend’s mission under there recommendation by the title of their mission.

+ b00twah on July 14th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

RELEASE NEW INFAMOUS 2 DLC ON PSN NETWORK!!!

+ marlyt on July 14th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

@ b00twah

I’m posting for the same reason. I want the story to continue somehow thru DLC or whatever. I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that it’s over. I won’t get specific and be a spoiler, but it is over, isn’t it? Sucker Punch please bring Cole back. This was, IMO, the greatest new IP in recent memory. Infamous 2 was the ultimate sequel. I can’t do this cold turkey. Just one more. Please?!?!

+ marlyt on July 14th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

C’mon, I’ve got a “Legendary” Cole icon for crying out loud!!!!!

+ rbanke on July 14th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

I turned the UGC stuff off as soon as it appeared in the game. The only missions I played were later because I had to for the platinum. They (even the Sucker Punch missions) were garbage.

+ bakerarmy on July 14th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

Great game, went back to play te 1st one as Evil, then I will play number 2 again Evil.

I turned off the UGC also. This game dosen’t need that, or a mutiplayer component.
If you make a 3rd, I beg you don’t was time with multiplayer. The replay value is there already.
Just make my decisions mean something more or have bigger reprecutions.

+ Nerfsniper on July 14th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

While the UGC stuff is uniquely integrated and all, I accidentally had a user mission spoil the entire game’s ending thanks to its description… -_-

+ bnfdhfdhfd on July 14th, 2011 at 1:23 pm said:

I am only commenting so there can be at least ONE positive comment about UGC. I loved it. I have been addicted to UGC since the Infamous 2 beta back in April. I never had any interest in anything like LBP, so I didn’t think I would enjoy it in this game. After my first night with the beta, I was hooked. I hope UGC catches on with more people, there are some great missions out there if you know where to look.

Collin Moore's Avatar

+ Collin Moore on July 14th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

Glad you are liking UGC. We are seeing a lot of cool missions being posted now that people are getting used to the mission designer tools.

+ crowsticky1234 on July 14th, 2011 at 1:33 pm said:

I been waiting for a tutorial. I was going to create one mission but I was so confusing by the tools and how it’s works but right now, I have the chance to do it. Thanks, Sucker Punch.

+ crowsticky1234 on July 14th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

Sorry for the grammar. I was typing real fast.

+ StalkingReaptor on July 14th, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

90% of the UGC are missions like “Kill all 600 enemies” “Kill all 20 Ice Titans” “Kill all 700 mutants” LAME!

+ jockhotty on July 14th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

I am going to be a little blunt, WHY o WHY did you not allow using in game camera so that you can really be creative in designing missions. I hope you add it as a dlc or something. I am very Sorry I didnt ask for this when I discovered it was missing in the Beta. It is so totally necessary to have some sort of variety with all the other limitations.

+ Deathspear666 on July 14th, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

Add me if your not a tard and NO i dont play BlOps..:)

+ prof_hockenberry on July 14th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

You should add an update so you can watch these videos in-game. That would probably help a lot of people considering most people don’t check the blog.

+ XxDAVITxX on July 14th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

ADD ME ON PS3!!!!!!!! PLZ

+ BrianC6234 on July 14th, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

This series of tutorials is great. Maybe when I finish the game I’ll try them out. I just need to finish the game on hard and get the evil ending and I’ll have all the trophies. Best game of the year so far.

+ Rorek_IronBlood on July 14th, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

Here is the “real” question though Sony. When is the “rest” of the free world going to get their hands on those inFamous2 avatars you’ve been holding out from everyone, but Europe? Do, tell. I am eager to know.

+ JUGGALO414 on July 14th, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

@marlyt how do you get the cole avatar?

+ qwerty_beast on July 14th, 2011 at 4:49 pm said:

Hey, so, I love infamous. But if you coould please answer one question ive asked repeatedly and had no answer on, id appreciate it. My question is why does your Europe playstation store have an entire month dedicated to playstation plus anniversary and they get a ton of free games, but your US store does not? Please, answer. It seems like I’m purposely ignored every time I ask..

+ Nick-A-30 on July 14th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

just a random question, but in the e3 demo i seen cole glide across power lines on the side of buildings. Did Sucker Punch take that out of the final product? is so how come?

+ BiggDaddyV06 on July 14th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

@JUGGALO414 he got it for being in the rewards program beta

+ punkmusic2009 on July 14th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

i finaly have my own ps3 but where do i go for the contest of infamouse and i have the first one i did the 2nd one in a plus tryal so far i love the game i wish i had powers like that in real life lol

+ punkmusic2009 on July 14th, 2011 at 5:07 pm said:

right now i cant go online bell i placed a order and give them my info and they said they have no order i hate rogers and i was takeing the internet on the ps3 and pc until ps3 started going gb insted of mb and has bill went off the hook now he lock his internet and he was the ownly one that didnt lock it now aboute 10 min walk theres a mc donald with wifi if someone can help me get wifi that can reach the mc donlald ill do anything becuse i paid for the plus and qoure and i have paid for games i have 898 games that i cant use and sony wont refund the money and now that i have a ps3 and is not bowwrewing someone eles im bored becuse everything i bought is form psn no disc i just bought dance dance revltion on tues and the ps3 ate the rest of my money

+ Buckis2002 on July 14th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

I’ll get into the UGC after I get 1 or 2 easy trophies and buy all upgrades for platnium trophy

+ Admiral-_xfye on July 14th, 2011 at 5:13 pm said:

I need this game

+ BrianC6234 on July 14th, 2011 at 5:19 pm said:

#31 – I give you the award for longest sentence. I’m dizzy after reading that.

+ Basindo on July 14th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

Can you guys PLEASE put the preorder items for Infamous 2 on the PS Store. PLEASE

+ Crazymanwalking1 on July 14th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

This game is just awesome, & it just get better with the UGC but i have yet to find a really good level

+ santacloz23 on July 14th, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

@34

It’s not a sentence, he didn’t use a period. It’s what you’d call, a “block of text”.

+ Latin_Player_10 on July 14th, 2011 at 6:33 pm said:

very helpful

+ Latin_Player_10 on July 14th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

still hard :(

+ lisatsunami on July 14th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

@21, Deathspear: With an invitation like that, who could resist? LOL.

@27 qwerty & all blog hi-jackers, I know we all hate our questions being ignored by the mods, who work for Sony, but have some common sense and don’t do it on these blogs posted by an industry guest who are probably madder at Sony, for whatever business reason, than you are.

+ marlyt on July 14th, 2011 at 7:22 pm said:

@ Lisa the big wave–well said…

@ JUGGALO414–BiggDaddyV06 speaks da truth. Did anyone else get their t-shirt? I did and it’s pretty sweet. (rewards beta reward)

+ marlyt on July 14th, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

@ JUGGALO414–btw, all that legendary means is that I’m dumb enough to spend more than I can afford to on games…”A fool and his money are soon parted.” Such is my life. :-)

+ marlyt on July 14th, 2011 at 7:29 pm said:

@ 31 They probably can’t help you because they have no idea what the hell you are saying!!!

+ XavierStar on July 14th, 2011 at 10:53 pm said:

Was wondering if they were ever going to release a DLC for inFamous 2….

+ Starbuck3188 on July 14th, 2011 at 11:52 pm said:

These videos woulda been nice to have in the game instead of just figuring out how everything works. Although I did make two levels so far and they are pretty minor hits. They are called “Cole and Quo’s First Date” and “SUBWAY $5 Footlong Challenge!”.

It’s too bad Infamous 2 doesnt have a LBP.me type site to easily find UGC levels.

+ shaikhrabi on July 15th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

Cool game i’ve downloaded dis game frm ps store took me like 3-4 days caz of 15 Gb My nets a bit slow though =P I really am not into this “User Generated Content” But i like to take Platinum’s so forcefully i have to play this part =)

+ moonking11 on July 15th, 2011 at 6:05 am said:

Not very happy with infamous2!!!! Sucker Punch you could have done a better job with this one!!!!!

+ Berae on July 15th, 2011 at 6:41 am said:

Please make a dynamic theme with the start of infamous 2 when you choose your karma with infamous 1. That would be awesome.

1 thing I didnt like as much in infamous 2 is the story, there were not enough ”cartoon” cutscenes and story was not as good. I hope its gonna be improve in infamous 3. Everything else was excellent tho,

+ mgsnull617 on July 15th, 2011 at 6:45 am said:

can i use a gun in infamous2 create mission if not can u add in part 3…. it would be balls thanks collin

+ Rorek_IronBlood on July 15th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

@Berae:

Not to “spoil” the story or anything for others, but the only way they could continue with inFamous3 would be to start a whole new story with a completly new conduit. That is about all I can say without spoiling either ending. Still. It is pretty much their only option if they wanted to move foward with an inFamous title. Which I do, hope they do.

PAGE 1 2