Tearaway Unfolded

Jul 15

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Incoming: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Maps Hit PS3 July 28th

Dan Amrich's Avatar Posted by Dan Amrich on Jul 15, 2011 // Community Manager, Ubisoft

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)

First Strike was fun. Escalation rocked. But Call of Duty: Black Ops fans want more – they crave new battlegrounds and new experiences. Black Ops developer Treyarch knows this, so they’ve been busy creating another fresh batch of DLC maps: Annihilation. The newest add-on content will be ready for download from the PlayStation Store starting Thursday, July 28th.

Annihilation features four new standard multiplayer arenas – Silo, Hangar 18, Drive-In and Hazard – and the deadly jungle Zombies experience, Shangri-La. “The goals we set were about quality and variety,” says Treyarch’s Online Director, Dan Bunting. “We wanted to make everything feel unique and distinct.”

Annihilation delivers on those goals with five all-new environments:

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Drive-In: This one-time American movie paradise once showed war movies; now it’s the location for one. The holes in the screen have been filled with snipers. The popcorn is stale, but they’re still serving up hot lead in the concession stand. “Drive-In is a small map, very fast paced,” says Treyarch’s Online Director, Dan Bunting (the nice bearded man from all those behind-the-scenes videos). “It’s similar to Nuketown in that it’s a fast, close-quarters map.”

Hazard: Ah, the Cuban good life! This swanky golf course features lush greens, oceanic driving ranges, and long-range sniping opportunities straight down its deadly fairway. Never mind getting a hole in one — try not to get lots of holes in you. Those skilled with assault rifles and sniper rifles will enjoy this one.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Silo: If you’ve ever said to yourself, “This is a great map, but what it really needs are missiles launching right next to my ear, so every time I line up to snipe someone, I pee myself instead” – and really, who hasn’t? – this is the map for you. Muddy sloped terrain, a smattering of construction equipment, and a few carefully placed sniper towers make this military outpost a tactical challenge regardless of game type.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Hangar 18: This one’s a tribute to the Groom Lake military base where the government developed the SR-71 Blackbird – or, depending on the conspiracy theories you choose to believe, where they stored a recovered alien spacecraft. Either way, you’ll be in an out of buildings frequently here, not to mention using a multi-million-dollar piece of reconnaissance aircraft for cover. But that’s not the only secret project it’s hiding. “Hangar 18 has a couple of fun easter eggs,” hints Bunting. “I can’t talk about them because it would ruin them.”

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)

Shangri-La: Welcome to the jungle, where the Zombies have taken over an ancient shrine. But be extra careful – the environment’s many hidden tricks and deadly traps can be used against you as easily as your undead enemies. “It’s one of the more creative and clever map designs we’ve got so far,” says Bunting with pride. “The diehard fans are really going to appreciate the story hooks in this one as well.”

Annihilation will be available in the PlayStation Store July 28th — less than two weeks away. And as is the custom, the weekend that follows will offer all players double XP in celebration. See you at the drive-in!

PAGE 1 2 3 7

+ RCBASEBALL13 on July 15th, 2011 at 1:45 am said:

Thanks again Dan Amrich that wan’t a corporate comment :)

+ DaneiL619 on July 15th, 2011 at 1:47 am said:

I just want say i enjoy all the maps brought out to us. Keep up the great work and more sniping positions.

+ Surfaced on July 15th, 2011 at 1:48 am said:

@ 31

Bro, give up. They know it’s not fair for “The millions of PlayStation users”.

You see, they value Microsoft’s direct deposits more than your heartfelt loyalty & respect.

It’s okay, my child. Just the way the world works.

Money talks.

+ Dr_Rotten on July 15th, 2011 at 1:56 am said:

Why you skip over my question? quit being a jerk……how come all the people who talk trash get all the attention?

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 1:57 am said:

I don’t know the answer to your question. I don’t run a clan site. Wasn’t ignoring you, just had no insight. Sorry.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 1:57 am said:

I’ve pointed out that exclusivity deals are hardly limited to one console or software publisher. Everybody’s looking for an edge, and it’s a little naive to suggest one successful console-maker is less interested in attracting as many fans as possible to its platform as another.

The way I see the video game business: I love the video games, and I accept the business. I invest emotions in the former and don’t waste any on the latter. It’s worked so far.

+ NYOSKAR_123 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:02 am said:

Mr. Dan Amrich thank you for replying to my comment. and you are very r we should play what makes us happy and what we enjoy from multiple developers. activision, rockstar games, capcom have alwaya been my favorite developers. but when it comes to the question of what games i spend most of my gaming time in its call of duty thats what makes me happy. but the delaying of the DLC packs frustrates most of the PS users on call of duty. maybe if the delay was shorter it wouldnt be such a big deal. in regards to the event it feels like its more to atrract the XBOX 360 fan base rather than both fan bases. regarless im still debating about atempting to purchase a ticket for it.

+ Kastro187420 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:02 am said:

I appreciate you coming by here dan, it’s nice to see someone from Activision at least trying to answer the hard questions.. I know you’re not heavily affiliated with them, but you are nonetheless.

I think if we’re all being honest here, what bugs us PS3 users more than anything about these deals is that not only are we forced to miss out (I get it, business is business), but our copies of the game are literal ports from the 360 version. We have a bluray drive in our PS3, and the hardware IS technically superior. These aren’t “Opinions”, but facts.

And yet despite that, we get a copy of the game that, upon release, BARELY was functional on MP, and took nearly a month or two just to get it working. That alone made it obvious that it received no genuine testing. It’s no secret that Activision and Microsoft love eachother alot. I’d love someone too if they constantly threw money at me. But when we’re getting the shaft not only in DLC, but also development, many of us question whether it’s worth continuing to support the franchise.. just from a “Is CoD enjoyable” standpoint, but from a principle standpoint also.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

I totally understand the frustrations. I think COD also occupies a tricky space: it’s enormous, so everything it does is magnified. Every bug is going to be seen not by 100,000 people, but 30 million people (that’s the worldwide COD player count on all platforms last I heard). Every little problem is a big problem; every little criticism is a big criticism. And I also understand that it’s a nice problem to have, in one way — look at how many people have high expectations and care about the game, right? I’ve got games in my collection that I enjoy that have bugs, but since they are smaller hits (or sometimes not even hits) they don’t have a rabid fanbase saying “This! This!” so those bugs don’t even get fixed.

Nothing’s perfect. Every game has something that isn’t as awesome as it should be. But I worry when people take that one step beyond and start making it a personal thing, or cooking up conspiracy theories that ultimately obfuscate a very simple truth: Games are made by human beings, even the giant ones. Those people are trying to make millions of other people happy. Nobody’s out to try to ruin your gaming life, you know?

+ newton22 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:05 am said:

I don’t know how well these maps will sell. Frankly I think black ops has hit it’s peak and is starting to decrease in popularity I know they think these maps are going to sell and be a huge hit and get people back on to black ops and they might do so but I think with all the hype from E3 about all the new games hitting our system this year black ops has just about run it’s course. Treyarch should stop putting out new maps and get back to the drawing board to try and produce another great game

+ DZORMAGEN on July 15th, 2011 at 2:06 am said:

I hate when people say it’s a business and they love the game…THAT IS NEVER TRUE!! If you love the video game business than you make everyone happy! Look at the NBA and NFL, players say they love the game, but then money gets in the middle, and see what happens…..LOCKOUTS!! Enough with the [DELETED] MONEY TALKS, and that is the end of the story. If you are a business, then you are in the business to MAKE MONEY/PROFIT. Everything else comes with the money……..

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 8:57 am said:

If you crack that “make everyone happy” problem, please share it with everybody! :)

Yes, business is business. It’s not unique to gaming, even. The mom and pop grocery store down the street can’t give all the baked beans away just because someone comes in looking really hungry. All businesses face the same realities at different scales.

But like I said — I accept that, I don’t celebrate it. I care about the games more than the game industry.

+ Dr_Rotten on July 15th, 2011 at 2:07 am said:

see thats all you had to say…thanks buddy..cheers…..

+ NYOSKAR_123 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:14 am said:

regardless of all the stuff we are saying good or bad im just glad someone from activision is listening and maybe take it to the higher ups in the company. i gotta give Mr. Dan Amrich credit for that. thank you for time and for responding to my comments.

+ Kakarot247 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:16 am said:

Hey, I don’t mind the month wait. It’s like XBOX 360 players are doing all the work while the PS3 players reap all the benefits. The Easter eggs look pretty difficult, I on the other hand, find the easy way. Watch youtube see how it’s done then get it done. I love playing zombies just to see how far I can get with a few buddies, not to waste my time figuring out a frickin Easter egg, thanks XBOX fans, you make zombie trophies so easy to obtain. PS3 zombie slayer have it easy. Same goes for multi-player maps, study the maps on youtube so when it’s released on PS3 you don’t have to work on learning the maps. But I don’t play multi-player that much, so that doesn’t matter for me. I’ma zombies kinda guy. That is until MW3 is released!

+ m101dream on July 15th, 2011 at 2:21 am said:

I think the reason Microsoft got the best deals is because they’re an American company and we know Americans have the dollars to dish out and they have the hunger to make the dollars. While Japanese owned sony don’t think money talks [DELETED] walks.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

Uh…despite being somewhat xenophobic, how does that explain the nice perks the American company EA created for several of its PS3 games recently? I don’t think it’s the rather ugly reason you’re suggesting.

+ TimChamp on July 15th, 2011 at 2:22 am said:

+ JaY_RaZ on July 15th, 2011 at 2:22 am said:

Thanks Dan Armich I have a question, do you know when Xbox’s business deal with the COD’s DLC finish?

+ Kakarot247 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:34 am said:

lol, hey Dan, you know from that little picture of yours you remind me of Farris Bueller. Just thought it was funny enough to mention. [DELETED]!

+ iseeyoubigboi on July 15th, 2011 at 2:36 am said:

-we get wireless controllers that dont take batteries because they are rechargeable.
– We get free internet like google, facebook, or even youtube.
-I personally don’t think the 360 or PSN graphics aren’t all that different

Now the 360 is not terrible they both have different qualities and some people like certain ones that make them choose xbox. I think xboxs are confusing when you first get one, PS3s are easy to use. xbox basically ripped the controller setting off PSN because they would be almost exact of the analogs were centered. Now i know this has nothing to do with map packs but this is one of the big arguments the PS3 and xbox are having these days. The users use the systems’ different qualities as arguments. When two things have different qualities you cant judge which one is best.

P.S. I think the PS3 should come with a headset too like the xbox, but other than that the PS3 has had no problems with me, i dont care about the 1 month wait for a map pack, you know you cant have evrything you want so tough it out deal with it, because its just a game.
Call of The Dead was a little confusing and a litlle tough. Keep up the good work Treyarch.

+ KAPADO on July 15th, 2011 at 2:39 am said:

Hey whoever this Dan Amrich is, people at activision take notice he is good.
I abandoned the cod games since CODMW2 i didnt get black ops.
But this man’s genuine answers and not treating me like a child or an ignorant person with his DLC delay talk just sold you guys another copy of CODMW3. im back on board .

+ norcalbwlr on July 15th, 2011 at 2:39 am said:

Man, some people need to calm down. If you don’t like it or are unsatisfied, that’s understandable. The bloggers who answer you’re questions are not magicians, just bloggers. It’s really unfortunate to see how many gamers are ungrateful and extremely disrespectful. sheesh guys (and girls), c’mon now.

+ ChaosStorm57 on July 15th, 2011 at 2:47 am said:

hey Dan Armich CAN YOU ADD ME AS A FRIEND ON PSN? maybe we can game something? psn- ChaosStorm57 :)

+ RobztarOne on July 15th, 2011 at 3:10 am said:

How is it ungrateful to be disappointed with something you payed for? When I spend money on a game, I expect it to work properly. Black Ops has acted up so badly over the first 2 months, it was literally unplayable. And there are still lots of bugs in the game. Gratitude is for when you get something for free or without expecting it. Should I be grateful for crap hit detection, being thrown into lopsided matches, non-existent weapon variety and crappy looking textures? Really? As a customer I feel I have every right to complain when a developer fails so miserably in putting together a game on a franchise basis. MW2 had its flaws (OMA-DC-noobtube, incredibly ridiculous quickscoping, commando knifing with TacKinfe etc.) but it was playable and looked great. Bullets hit what you aim at, lag was very rare after the second patch and the weapons actually had variety. Example: In BO: WA2000 = Dragunov with a bit less recoil when using ACOG sight. Commando = AK47 = Galil (+ 5 more rounds per mag). The SMGs are even worse. When you dont have 4 green bars, dont even try using something else than the 74u or MP5K. Especially the 20 mag SMGs are near useless!

+ Rorek_IronBlood on July 15th, 2011 at 3:28 am said:

I have a lot to say, but I don’t think it’s worth the time or effort. Though I have to say though that the overal price hike since Modern Campfare2.. I mean Modern Warfare2 and the five dollar increase (thats about a fifty percent increase people) I just do, not understand how, Activision feels justified in this? Especially considering the fact that none of the map packs are really “true” Add-on content in the sense that it feels more like a money marketing scam, and that most of these maps were being worked on before the games release or were already completed before the release. Not to mention that Call of Duty sorely needs to do away with the “Peer to Peer” system. It’s outdated, cheap, and lacking. For the amount of revenue generated by the copies of Call of Duty sold alone you’d think we could get some “dedicated” servers going. Not to mention that we’ve had to endure the price hikes.

Ps. I don’t know why (must be an Activision thing), but the amount of “smugness” exuding from you is intolerable at times, Dan Amrich (Am “rich” really?! anyone else see that too?)

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

I like to use big words and I always have; sorry if that makes me seem pompous, but I like my vocabulary and I’m going to use it.. I worked hard to get it. :)

But making fun of my Czech heritage and my last name? That’s low.

+ WANASAH on July 15th, 2011 at 3:30 am said:

its awsome

+ Lugoves on July 15th, 2011 at 4:00 am said:

Thanks for the update Dan. I see the grumblings. I see your point as well. We get content ‘eventually’ but I don’t think you should use other publisher’s as Justification. I’m definitely going to try Battlefield 3 , and if it is almost as good as an IW developed COD. I’ll probably stick with them. That has more to do with displeasure in how Kostick deals with ALL gamers/talent than anything else.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

I don’t mean it as a justification, just as a reality check — that is, people suggest that Activision’s business practices are unique or singular, when I don’t believe they are. I think a fired-up fan of Thing A could find something about Thing B that they didn’t like, and support it with evidence…while ignoring that the Thing B fans are saying the same thing about Thing A, you know?

+ The3D-Artist on July 15th, 2011 at 4:00 am said:

As much as I hate the pricing of the map packs, as a content artist I can understand the reasons behind it (at least until Activision starts doing online passes for COD). That said, I’m going to pick up the map pack because I like that the game is being supported. Sure, it’s kind of more of the same but it’s a FPS, that’s expected. At least they sprinkle maps for both regular multiplayer and the zombie mode. When was the last time we saw an Operations map pack for Killzone3? So I don’t knock Activision for supporting their games, I applaud them for that.

+ blueshell99 on July 15th, 2011 at 4:11 am said:

Is it true were going to have something called a PSN Pass?

Is it similar to what Electronic Arts (EA) is doing?

giving you a code for online but if you get it borrowed or second hand you have to buy the pass

+ Rorek_IronBlood on July 15th, 2011 at 4:18 am said:

Yes, it is true that Sony is going to be enabling what is referred to as the PlayStation Network Pass (Unofficial title thus far.) Sony has already admitted that this will be implemented, but they have yet to be more open about it for whatever reason(s) What this entails thus far is that all titles under Sony (exlusive titles so, far) will automatically be given an online pass code (starting with Resistance3 it seems.) This program however is Sony’s attempt at getting in on the secondary market, and grabbing more of the pie for themselves. Meaning what is the point anymore in buying a used or second hand game?

Personally I’m not happy about this one bit. Many others feel the same way of course, but as always you will have people whom support these ideals for one reason to another. Simply put. Yes, it is true and Sony will be doing online passes as ElectronicArts (and other various publishers) have done so, recently with console titles.

+ midknight24 on July 15th, 2011 at 5:10 am said:

Concerning the PSN PASS, I understand what they are trying to do however, i really don’t agree, ten years down the road if someone finds a used copy of(insert fav multiplayer game) at a yard sale or something, people are still gonna have to pay to play online. To me thats just obsurd. Why are you going to pay to play twice? regardless the price of new games goes up about ten bucks every year, so right now to purchase a new game youare spending about 60 bucks or more and then adding on another 15 to 20 bucks just to be able to play multiplayer? To me at least the God awful XBOX were upfront saying that you would have to buy a subscription to play instead of letting everyone believe that PSN would always be free. Sure, buy our 400.00 dollar system, and buy the way after you bought it, we are gonna charge you more just to be able to enjoy your game with other people. Honestly I’d rather pay extra to be left alone on my games, to have y games without the constant glitches, and modders and what not? Who is the PSN PASS really helping or hurting?

+ mikeasauskie on July 15th, 2011 at 5:17 am said:

@Dan Armich

Is Treyarch going to make a new Zombies APP for the iphone? it would be cool to play the maps on the go!

+ loop_the_luke on July 15th, 2011 at 5:33 am said:

wow its the same as the last time when they gave us a release date more complaints!
really people we only got escalation a month ago so be at least a bit grateful that dan is giving us this info and give him a break hes just doing his job!
thanks a lot dan btw is there going to be a black ops zombies for ipod
cant wait to play shangri-la its going to be class :D

+ kkiller14 on July 15th, 2011 at 5:41 am said:

Hi Dan, Why can’t Call of Duty days turn back to Call of Duty 4? Were every system got the DLC at the same time and for a good price of just $10.

Was Activision that poor that they needed Microsoft to do this deal with them?

At least this DLC came before MW3’s release. I wasn’t expecting that!

$60 for the game then $45 for DLC. Wow!

+ Bubaroo on July 15th, 2011 at 5:42 am said:

Probably not going to buy this one either. Already spent money on the others and barely play. Nice to see there’s a date, though I wasn’t actually looking forward to it. nope, think I’ll just wait until next tuesday for Fallout. At least with fallout when I buy an expansion I can still play it after a whle. COD just gets old fast. I still play, but not enough to warrent another $15 bucks. Thanks for the update anyway, Dan. And don’t let these guys bother you about it, I don’t want, so I won’t buy it. Yes, everyone, it is that simple.

+ ChiiTwins on July 15th, 2011 at 5:54 am said:

yay! finally!

+ monyking on July 15th, 2011 at 6:01 am said:

I can’t wait…Thanks. I think it’s better to wait and let them enjoy their time but, when fans of PS3 invade…watch out…cause that’s where all the action comes from.

+ skywire15 on July 15th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

just go with infected for map pack 4 maybe you guys are losing so much people because of that(i love cod blackops)

+ KoldStrejke on July 15th, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

if the price is $14.99 again, its not worth it. i mean come on $15.00 for four maps give me a break. i say $1.99 a map=7.96, and a dollar for the peace o junk zomie map round it up to $8.99, and you got a deal.

+ KoldStrejke on July 15th, 2011 at 6:11 am said:

@Dan Amrich

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

We’re not talking about something you give back when you’re done sharing it, like a DVD or a book that you borrow for the weekend. We’re talking about taking and keeping something that wasn’t paid for by the person who is keeping it. That’s stealing.

+ Nick-A-30 on July 15th, 2011 at 6:18 am said:

@Dan Amrich
Are you guys going to release new zombie maps for the app store on iphone, ipod, etc. or is there at least going to be an update anytime soon?
thanks in advance.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Not sure about that. I have been wondering whether the Zombie iOS stuff was a one-shot deal or if it was the start of something long-term. I have not heard any movement on it for some time, but I’ll keep my ear out.

+ bakerarmy on July 15th, 2011 at 6:24 am said:

I never liked CoD, I am a Battlefield guy. With that said companies will just sell crap if you buy it.
Earlier people say if you don’t want it don’t buy it…. However you are almost forced to buy it if you want to play online, or spend hours searching for a game. How many times do you get the ” game map not installed”?

On a side note, that 20 million Sony invested on indie games would be better spent on use getting some exclusives or just some crap first for once.

It happens to use for all the big sellers… ME2, GTA IV episodes, Fallout DLC, CoD….
I get it we get God of War “ended” Metal Gear Solid “ended” Uncharted “about to end”

+ DOOMkillz on July 15th, 2011 at 12:03 am said:

+ SPOPS on July 15th, 2011 at 12:05 am said:

+ Arcadian_Rebel on July 15th, 2011 at 12:12 am said:

Screw this, you give it to Xbox first then try to sell it to us a month or so later? Haha…

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

Well, this is not really a surprise, is it? This is due to a business deal, and it’s been in place for two years. Sorry you’re upset — figured it would be good news that you have a date to look forward to, but perhaps not.

+ Philburt99 on July 15th, 2011 at 12:13 am said:

im so picking this up!!!!!

+ oSkeTcHz-vG on July 15th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

How much will they cost for the PS3?

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 12:32 am said:

To be determined, but probably in line with previous Black Ops map packs, since it’s the same amount of content (4 MP + 1 Z)

+ Spinout209 on July 15th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

They did a better job on this map pack than the others. Too bad I’ve lost interest in this game because there are better games out there

+ Drasadex on July 15th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

I just wish the maps weren’t $15…

+ shadowielder on July 15th, 2011 at 12:20 am said:

+ tamiboi_uchiha on July 15th, 2011 at 12:23 am said:

Hello! Mabuhay TPC And PPS Peeps! Yey! i’m on TV!
Hi Mom! :)

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

Mom says you’re up past your bedtime.

+ Mr13ig_13ong_Rip on July 15th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

Game share with your friends people, split the cost with your buddies and game share it with each other. I like how the maps look really similar to Battlefield, especially the golf course map. Of course though COD maps are tiny cause they wan’t you to have action lol COD is way too arcadish compared to what is available now. Pretty soon it will just be the kiddies on COD. I’m looking forward to Battlefield 3, a realistic military shooter, not this lame crap Treyarch is regurgitating. Why do you think they drop so many lame map packs, cause people are bored with COD and they are trying to reel them back in.

+ Dan Amrich on July 15th, 2011 at 12:33 am said:

Or…maybe you don’t suggest piracy on the official PlayStation blog, huh? If you don’t wan to buy it, don’t buy it, but don’t feel you have the right to take it without paying for it. If you feel it’s worth its asking price, buy it legitimately.

+ YoMomma575 on July 15th, 2011 at 12:27 am said:

It would be cool but idk yet lets see lol

PAGE 1 2 3 7